What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So is Canada going to legalize or what?

Well the legalization coconut has now dropped. As much as most of us don't like many or most aspects of the legislation(I'm looking at you 4 plant count), it's important to remember, as others have already pointed out, that we here aren't actually very representative of most Canadians or cannabis consuming Canadians. We have our pet strains and breeders and genuinely love this plant. We have odd little boxes in our fridges that contain seeds that at 4 plants will probably take multiple lifetimes to work through. Most people I've met over the years that consume cannabis, even heavily, don't care about pedigree, curing time, what type of light was used or where on the VPD chart the grower had their room. If you start to talk about those things to most people, their eyes glaze over( not in a good way) and then they ask one simple question: does it get you stoned? And then you say, well yeah of course it does, but the important thing is how teaming with life your soil was. Crickets. In this new market place most people will probably go based on smell/taste and description of effect. Happy grape? Sold! is likely to be the mindset of many consumers.

As for importing sun grown from warmer climates, it will happen. This is now all about economies of scale and production cost. That being said a lot of companies, whose boards are jam packed with current and former politicians have invested heavily in production infrastructure here in Canada. they will want to protect that investment. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. If you are or were a black or grey market grower who based their entire financial livelihood on growing cannabis, you should have been polishing up the resume years ago as we all saw it coming. I do feel for those small communities who basically have economies based around money from cannabis growing, but it wasn't going to last forever.

Let's see what happens in the coming years and if and how the laws change, keeping in mind that some freedom has been gained for Canadians.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Canuck Terrorists

Canuck Terrorists

See-Say.jpg

RMS

:smoweed:

fatigues

Veteran
I can see the pollen clouds now. There won't be weed without seeds for miles. Indoor or outdoor.

I don't know about that.

Don't get me wrong, it may certainly prove to be a significant problem. But viable bagseed is relatively rare in Canada (it certainly is in Eastern Canada - lots more outdoor grown commercial weed in BC of course) and 4 plants is **4 plants**. As all gov stores will sell feminized seeds, there is good reason to believe that the broad mass of Canadians who choose to grow outside next year will be doing so with feminized seed.

In fact, it would not surprise me in the least that government stores will choose to sell **only** feminized seed.

I fully admit it doesn't take too many idiots to ruin everybody's fun. While you are right that it will be a problem, I am not sure it will be a *pervasive* problem.

Plus, I can imagine the discussions on local TV and radio next spring will refer to the potential problem and recommend feminized seed to all gardeners. (Coming up next on Breakfast Television... )

In Ontario, seeing as Green House Seed Co has an aggressive plan to stock their seeds for sale in the OCS, it might not prove to be as bad as you fear.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I can't wait for imported tropical herbs, hopefully canada focuses on large scale outdoor, combined herbs that are mainly used for terpene and medical titrated ingredients. Extract the resins, clean them up well, make tinctures, sprays, vaporizor carts, transdermal patches etc, leave the small growers for market herbs and hashish. I think this is the way it will go in the end, it's a question of 5 years or 20 years to me.

barefrog

Hola Gang

I am glad I start collecting gen
a long time ago.

I wonder the future for exporting
I think their will be a market
for Canadian small producer.
Sorte of a niche

Since our cannabis is suppose
to be so good.

Bare

Gmack

Hola Gang

I am glad I start collecting gen
a long time ago.

I wonder the future for exporting
I think their will be a market
for Canadian small producer.
Sorte of a niche

Since our cannabis is suppose
to be so good.

Bare

Piss poor. None of that even rhymes.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Your's doesn't either Gmack. lol.

I'm all for genetics being preserved barefrog. Especially since Monsanto and Bayer have entered the market. Expect weed that will not produce seeds without Monsanto magic potion soon.

troutman

Seed Whore
No worried at all. :dance013:

1. Forced to buy garbage Health Canada approved seeds.
  2. Feed pigeons with them.
  3. Uses locally adapted regular non chicks with dicks seeds to produce his plants.
Kiss my :mooning: Health Canada.

fatigues

Veteran
No worried at all. :dance013:

[*] Forced to buy garbage Health Canada approved seeds.

That's not how legal weed is being dealt with. Canopy Growth and Green House Seed Co, have a deal in place to provide seeds (and product) to Ontario at the least, and presumably, other provinces. I expect there are others, but GHS already has multi-lingual consumer oriented packaging

So, no. Not "Health Canada" seeds, sorry.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Just to let everyone know that a seed procurement is regulated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, and legal source for seeds includes ANY COUNTRY where seeds are legal. So you don't need stealth shipping if purchasing from those countries. If seeds are legal in the UK, Holland, Spain, etc.... you're good to go.

It's also good to know that hemp seeds, if intended to be used as BIRD FEED, is A-OK as well. So bulk up. The only requirement is that the package must be clearly labeled as "Product of Honduras" (insert the country you're importing from), and that there be NO foreign material (stems, sticks, shake, soil... They must be clean). You can still import seeds that are not intended as bird feed, but the package needs a Phytosanitary Certificates as well as more intense regulations from https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/corporate/contact-us/office-controlled-substances.html.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants...crops/d-96-03/eng/1312380810386/1312381018330

Seed size determines if it Small Lot or Big Lot. This makes a difference at the border and inspections.
https://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants...importation/eng/1347740952226/1347741389113#d

In a nutshell, you can do it, but it's chock full of red tape.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
ahh their fucking freedom still by the sound of it. lol who wants government involved in anyway with what you can and cannot put in your body..

So for growers the "legalisation" is going to come with a load of red tape, fascist overtones of getting in line for your "permit" from the state.. potentially a gestapo system, cannabis police going around fining people all day..

I'm interested watching here from across the water on what's going on in her majesty's back yard because The fuckers running the UK must be jacking off over the amount of control, data, money they will suddenly absorb if they can implement this here.

That's not how legal weed is being dealt with. Canopy Growth and Green House Seed Co, have a deal in place to provide seeds (and product) to Ontario at the least, and presumably, other provinces. I expect there are others, but GHS already has multi-lingual consumer oriented packaging

So, no. Not "Health Canada" seeds, sorry.

wah?

GHS lmao, Arjan the asshat.. it's all connected mafia guys wanting to get all the money back into the 1% and away from the "black market".. aka us lol..

Fuck this noize..

troutman

Seed Whore
Justin TrueDope deserves a sucker punch to be honest.

It's not legal. It's still a controlled substance. :moon:

If it were legal there wouldn't be so much paperwork or conditions attached.

Tomatoes are legal. Cannabis never will be.

Somatek

Justin TrueDope deserves a sucker punch to be honest.

It's not legal. It's still a controlled substance. :moon:

If it were legal there wouldn't be so much paperwork or conditions attached.

Tomatoes are legal. Cannabis never will be.

By that logic beer, whiskey & tobacco also aren't legal then as there's restrictions on their use & production.

Seeing it as black & white doesn't seem useful, there's a whole grey area of regulated activities that have various stipulations. Driving, building a house, drinking, etc. Expecting pot be free from any regs is unrealistic & bound to create disappointment.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
By that logic beer, whiskey & tobacco also aren't legal then as there's restrictions on their use & production.

Seeing it as black & white doesn't seem useful, there's a whole grey area of regulated activities that have various stipulations. Driving, building a house, drinking, etc. Expecting pot be free from any regs is unrealistic & bound to create disappointment.

Not a good comparison. It could have a lot less regs. I can brew 10,000 gallons of beer if I want. No licence or "prescription" required, and no inspections. I can carry those 10,000 gallons around with me in a tanker truck while another 10,000 gallons are brewing in my garage. Or I can register as a craft winery and brew and sell me own wine (the government would even help with marketing), or grow tomatoes and sell them at a stand at the end of my driveway. Should I continue?

Eventually, it'll be as unregulated as wine.