What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So is Canada going to legalize or what?

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Even if they do legalize it seems like you got a serious case of Nanny State government and protectionism issues. Wish you guys the best. Never give up the good fight.

Gmack

Even if they do legalize it seems like you got a serious case of Nanny State government and protectionism issues. Wish you guys the best. Never give up the good fight.

It's not legalization it prohibition 2.0. 5nano grams in your blood amd your automatically guilty of dui. Giving it to a minor has a maximum penalty of 14 years In jail. You can literally fuck a child and only get 10 years. Sell outside of the government controlled system and you also face upto 14 years in jail. Only a idiot would think making it legal to use but illigal to have in your system and drive is legalization.

fatigues

Veteran
Yes, Canada is going to legalize and regulate Cannabis. It will be only the second nation in the world to do so – and the first major country to legalize.

The legalization in Canada will not be without some heavy-handed regulation, but unlike the legalization efforts in some of America’s 50 states, Canada’s legalization will be complete for all purposes.

That means that it will be legal to possess, to transport, to grow, to buy and, if licensed, to sell cannabis. More importantly, the legalization of cannabis means that contracts for its purchase, sale, production and for other purposes are enforceable in court. If someone steals your cannabis, you can call the police.

Cannabis can be trademarked and certain processes associated with it can be patented. Above all, as a legal product, it can act as collateral for secured transactions and registered under the Personal Property Security Acts of the various provinces. (akin to UCC Article 9 protection in the United States).

Secured transactions are critical in commercial lending and other financing transactions. With them, all commercial things are possible. Without it, not much is.

I expect this does not make some of you happy. Some prefer a Wild-west unregulated market. Some imagine that you might grow and sell your own product without interference. Others still are quite happy to continue to grow under Prohibition and reap the profits that come with a black market.

We have seen this conflict of interest between illegal growers and hopeful end users before on ICMag. This isn’t the first time and it won’t be the last.

But this is a legalization that is wholly unlike any other sort of legalization effort the world has yet seen. A major democracy in the world and a G7 power is legalizing recreational cannabis and there will be big money to be made. If you have any doubt of that, you need only look to the Canopy Growth and Green House Seed Co’s latest joint venture.

It’s big money and the Budweising of bud. It is not as wide and sweeping as some might prefer. However, these things move forward in steps. We are just throwing off the shackles of 95 years of prohibition. If it takes another 5 or 15 to have licensed coffee shops with on site purchase and consumption in our major cities, we can wait for that, too. In the interim, I'm guessing we will have some unlicensed ones in Vancouver and Kensington Market in Toronto. La plus ca change...

As of now, Bill C-45 is pending a motion before the Senate to adopt in its entirety the form of the Bill as re-passed in the House of Commons. 32 Senators in the Senate are opposed to that – all of them Conservative. More than 50 supported the Bill. If the motion to approve the Bill as passed by the House is held and succeeds today, then the Government of Canada will announce the date for Royal Assent later this week, likely to take effect in early September around Labour Day.

It’s a big step and I’m very proud of it and all those who worked so hard to make it happen. It ain't perfect but it is a HUGE step forward.

TheBlackman

Yes, Canada is going to legalize and regulate Cannabis. It will be only the second nation in the world to do so – and the first major country to legalize.

:moon:

...likely to take effect in early September around Labour Day.

It’s a big step and I’m very proud of it and all those who worked so hard to make it happen. It ain't perfect but it is a HUGE step forward.

yo,

all that typing seems to be,
nothing more then a plea,

oh big brother, take care of me,
protect us all from this dangerous weed,

I ain't got no dogs in the canna game,
just know when mother natures being raped,
another of nature's commodities taken with no shame,

enjoy the cognitive dissonance that seems to be everywhere,
your handing over this plant to those who don't care,

control, restrict and regulate is their regime,
let that sink in for a minute,
if you know what I mean,

the laws re-written to punish a culture more then before,
tho most not caring are money hungry whores,

enough of this nanny state I do say,
if it was booze or tobacco they did this to,
every person would say,

stop with the fear mongering and dis-info dialogue,
it's time to get drunk, I'm late for my job.

fatigues

Veteran
The "Big Picture" is that Bill C45 just passed.

Cannabis will soon be legal in Canada. And despite your blathering, I happen to think that is an EXCELLENT result.

America will follow by 2024. I predicted all of this nearly 10 years ago. My numbers were right. Today, the proof is in the pudding.

Somatek

The legalization in Canada will not be without some heavy-handed regulation, but unlike the legalization efforts in some of America’s 50 states, Canada’s legalization will be complete for all purposes.

That means that it will be legal to possess, to transport, to grow, to buy and, if licensed, to sell cannabis. More importantly, the legalization of cannabis means that contracts for its purchase, sale, production and for other purposes are enforceable in court. If someone steals your cannabis, you can call the police.

Cannabis can be trademarked and certain processes associated with it can be patented. Above all, as a legal product, it can act as collateral for secured transactions and registered under the Personal Property Security Acts of the various provinces. (akin to UCC Article 9 protection in the United States).

Secured transactions are critical in commercial lending and other financing transactions. With them, all commercial things are possible. Without it, not much is.

I expect this does not make some of you happy. Some prefer a Wild-west unregulated market. Some imagine that you might grow and sell your own product without interference. Others still are quite happy to continue to grow under Prohibition and reap the profits that come with a black market.

We have seen this conflict of interest between illegal growers and hopeful end users before on ICMag. This isn’t the first time and it won’t be the last.

But this is a legalization that is wholly unlike any other sort of legalization effort the world has yet seen. A major democracy in the world and a G7 power is legalizing recreational cannabis and there will be big money to be made. If you have any doubt of that, you need only look to the Canopy Growth and Green House Seed Co’s latest joint venture.

It’s big money and the Budweising of bud. It is not as wide and sweeping as some might prefer. However, these things move forward in steps. We are just throwing off the shackles of 95 years of prohibition. If it takes another 5 or 15 to have licensed coffee shops with on site purchase and consumption in our major cities, we can wait for that, too. In the interim, I'm guessing we will have some unlicensed ones in Vancouver and Kensington Market in Toronto. La plus ca change...

As of now, Bill C-45 is pending a motion before the Senate to adopt in its entirety the form of the Bill as re-passed in the House of Commons. 32 Senators in the Senate are opposed to that – all of them Conservative. More than 50 supported the Bill. If the motion to approve the Bill as passed by the House is held and succeeds today, then the Government of Canada will announce the date for Royal Assent later this week, likely to take effect in early September around Labour Day.

Well said & I fully agree, despite it's many flaws it is still a monumental step forward. There's a long way to go but we have to acknowledge how far we've come.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The "Big Picture" is that Bill C45 just passed.

Cannabis will soon be legal in Canada. And despite your blathering, I happen to think that is an EXCELLENT result.

America will follow by 2024. I predicted all of this nearly 10 years ago. My numbers were right. Today, the proof is in the pudding.

I liked your other post because it was well thought out/written.

But who is this excellent for?

Your average grower here has little interest in turning their work into a menial job of number counting and barcode reading.

14 years for playing how we play.

One year of opportunity.

And then? They come after medical and it's all downhill unless you learn Spanish or Arabic.

fatigues

Veteran
I liked your other post because it was well thought out/written.

But who is this excellent for?

Canadian end-users of cannabis. For illegal growers? Not so much. This is designed to wipe out the black market.

As I have said before, there are end-users of cannabis on ICM and there are black market growers. Their interests are not the same.

Governments pass laws to legalize so as to benefit the broad mass of people.

Your average grower here has little interest in turning their work into a menial job of number counting and barcode reading.

This isn't about making it profitable to be a black market grower.

Bottom line: the interests of people who grow for sale is directly opposed to those end-users and those who might grow a small number of plants (4 plants per dwelling; no height or plot size restriction on these plants) are not the same. There are both types of people on ICM -- but for the most part, they tend to the end-user side.

Is 4 plants at any one point in time enough for personal use? For the overwhelming number of Canadians? Yes it is. For those who have a genuine need for more, they might seek to shelter under the AMMPR. And of course, you can always buy your supply, too.

And then? They come after medical and it's all downhill unless you learn Spanish or Arabic.

Medical Marijuana was forced on the Canadian government by the courts. It continues to be. That isn't affected by any of this. To the extent that medical grows were notoriously abused by the black market as a cover to grow weed for sale, well that's going to (mostly) end, too.

In much of America, the legalization by the states coupled with the ongoing treatment of cannabis as a Schedule 1 drug has served to keep big business out of cannabis and has maintained black market prices in what is, at best, a grey market.

But that approach is not what is happening in Canada. So, you're going to have to square yourself with that and what a true legal market means. It's a major change. IT isn't going to make growers happy. There will be significant changes in the marketplace. If you were paying your mortgage with a basement/backyard greenhouse grow? This isn't going to work out well for you.

VanCitysFinest

Medical Marijuana was forced on the Canadian government by the courts. It continues to be. That isn't affected by any of this. To the extent that medical grows were notoriously abused by the black market as a cover to grow weed for sale, well that's going to (mostly) end, too.

:laughing:

exposeddddddd

you know (mostly) nothing, Jon Snow.

:laughing:

the supreme court medical rulings are what nullify so many of these "white market" opportunities,

as if all of these "med" grey market warehouses that supply dispensaries (the black market) etc. are going to shut down anytime soon... especially in B.C.,

to make way for liquor store bought weed which will take over from the current cannabis economy...

NOPE.

get real man, think logically

:tiphat:

fatigues

Veteran
My logical thinking says that we are going to import cannabis from other countries where it is farmed under the sun for three or four crops a year, tended to by peasants who make a dollar here and there.

You are pretending that you can grow coffee in a basement in Kelowna and sell it at Tim's.

The reality is that you can't compete with Juan Valdez. You see, Juan works for peanuts.

Legal cannabis is not grown; it's farmed under the sun. And it won't be farmed much in Canada. Some gourmet offerings here and there, but this will be grown in the tropics like all other tropical commodities. A G7 marketplace and bank accounts you don't have to hide is a SWEET deal for some foreign state to to just "sign here" and take the money.

Your impressions of a legal marketplace have been unduly affected by the experience of US states. Those aren't legal markets. They are protected by a Schedule 1 listing at the Federal level and the largest import tariff in the history of human civilization: life in prison.

Once cannabis is being imported, this story doesn't have a happy ending for Canadian growers. And seeing as the end aim and object of the Canadian government is to see that they aren't any Canadian growers, I'm pretty sure how this story is going to end.

Yes. It's that bad.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This ain't THCPharmer or IG, the majority of active users here aren't the consuming masses. Even in this quiet subforum I can count on one hand how many don't grow.

Your idea of excellent is pulling the bread from peoples mouths.

4 plants isn't even popping one pack of seeds. It'd take all bloody year to hunt through a piddly pile of beans.

They passed the law to appease the majority of people?

The Senate amendment to publicly disclose all shareholders was rejected by Parliament and again by the Senate.

Every LP board of directors and mass of shareholders has top brass from all parties, major institutions and every toft in the know from day one.

This is about tax revenue and personal enrichment.

I am well aware of the situation. Production from third world countries is already on the table, as has been supplemental sun grown for awhile now. Their production costs are small and growing ever smaller.

We aren't pretending shit. Anyone looking at the future here in Canada as how it has been has their head up their ass.

Last edited:

theiban

I feel so happy to know about the legalization in Canada. I understand the worries about the kind of regulation. I hope it will be better than persecutions. Congratulations, Canada.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
CANADA%2B%25282%2529.jpg

RMS

:smoweed:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'm waiting for Trump to offer up his congratulations. In the mean time, I'll go to Massena and buy some shoes and scuff them up because we don't have scuffed shoes in Canada. (Hum... I wonder if he knows they're duty free. lol)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our Space Army will be so much greater. The best, without match, and the Mexicans are going to pay for it.

troutman

Seed Whore
I sometimes look at the USA as Mexico North. :biggrin:

Say no to Free Trade. It's a lie. Why are still paying custom and duties?