What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Cloning Formula For Root Nubs In 3 Days!

I repeated your recipe to a T. Cleaned the machine for 6 days with Ethromiacin. Then added nutrients and bleach to your recipe. After 5 days of running with fresh cuts I looked inside the cloner and it looked swampy and was slimy. Water temp was 79-80 degrees and 250ppm. PH was 6.0. Not sure what happened. Any ideas?

Everything you did sounds right, but, if you still had problems, I'd suspect your water is bad. How are hte ppms? Is your water pre-treated? You may want to add bleach first, let it run for a while, add all the additive, then add bleach again. The bleach dissipates VERY qucikly at the pH's used during cloning.

Snype

Veteran
ro water is more pro.

Cyanobacteria goes through the filter so RO water is still poor. For people who have cyanobacteria issues that can't be controlled, bottled water is best in the cloner. After you have a good root system, cyanobacteria is harder to infect the roots when you put your rooted cuttings into hydroponic systems.

Vg_Ace

Thank you for posting this Snype. I have a Turboklone 48 and I have had so many issues over the years trying to get this damn thing to work and produce good clone. The previous recipes I have tried is Powerclone and Hydroguard by botanicare. Those are the two bottle that they give you when you buy a Powercloner by Botanicare. So I figured that recipe would work. It only works if you can keep the temps down. My temps hover around 80 degrees btw.

I tried the powerclone and hydroguard again and all that I had after 10 days were swelled stems and pre-roots but no stubs or any actual root. I dumped the whole system, washed it out and then put in your formula. I don't know what the problem was but now the stems are all popping roots. So thank you for posting this.

I have a couple of questions though: Is it ok to use floralicious Plus instead of Superthrive? I have done a bit of research and it seems like they are mostly the same thing. Flovic and humic acid with B vitamins and stuff like that.

And my 2nd question is you said to not use any kind of rooting agents like Clonex or anything with IBA or IAA in it. Seems like using a hormone would help pop roots faster.

Snype

Veteran
Thank you for posting this Snype. I have a Turboklone 48 and I have had so many issues over the years trying to get this damn thing to work and produce good clone. The previous recipes I have tried is Powerclone and Hydroguard by botanicare. Those are the two bottle that they give you when you buy a Powercloner by Botanicare. So I figured that recipe would work. It only works if you can keep the temps down. My temps hover around 80 degrees btw.

I tried the powerclone and hydroguard again and all that I had after 10 days were swelled stems and pre-roots but no stubs or any actual root. I dumped the whole system, washed it out and then put in your formula. I don't know what the problem was but now the stems are all popping roots. So thank you for posting this.

I have a couple of questions though: Is it ok to use floralicious Plus instead of Superthrive? I have done a bit of research and it seems like they are mostly the same thing. Flovic and humic acid with B vitamins and stuff like that.

And my 2nd question is you said to not use any kind of rooting agents like Clonex or anything with IBA or IAA in it. Seems like using a hormone would help pop roots faster.

I'm happy you took the time to try out my formula! Why try to change something that works perfect already. The SuperTHRIVE has a PGR in it called NAA and I'm not sure what else is in it but I only use it for Cloning. I've tried many formulas and nothing came close to the dosages that I use of SuperThrive even when I substituted for products like Thrive Alive which is what you speak of above. Try what you want but at least you can always come back to this if your other methods don't work. When you say, Seems like using a hormone would hall pop roots faster", that's what's in the SuperTHRIVE.

Vg_Ace

What I meant by hormone was IBA or IAA. The kind of rooting hormones you find in Clonex Gel.

Well I also have a small bottle of Superthive. I will try your recipe to the letter next time.

One more question, how long do you run your machine before changing out the reservoir? I read that hypochlorite acid (clorox) evaporates after about 3 days. Do you re-add anything?

Snype

Veteran
What I meant by hormone was IBA or IAA. The kind of rooting hormones you find in Clonex Gel.

Well I also have a small bottle of Superthive. I will try your recipe to the letter next time.

One more question, how long do you run your machine before changing out the reservoir? I read that hypochlorite acid (clorox) evaporates after about 3 days. Do you re-add anything?

A cheap Chlorine meter will tell you how much Chlorine is in there. I add back the same amount of Bleach every 5 days. I change out the system after I use the cuts. About 14 days. I add back nutrients into the cloner as needed after they get their roots. I stay at the same rate of 1 part Micro to 1.5 parts Bloom.

JointOperation

you know.. i heard bad things about adding chlorine.. then i see you do it.. with great success.. and a few others add it to there setups too.. so whats the deal.. why is it that these nute companies tell us.. we need RO water.. to use there nutes correctly.. and shit..

and do you add chlorine to your RDW systems.. or just for cloning.

Snype

Veteran
you know.. i heard bad things about adding chlorine.. then i see you do it.. with great success.. and a few others add it to there setups too.. so whats the deal.. why is it that these nute companies tell us.. we need RO water.. to use there nutes correctly.. and shit..

and do you add chlorine to your RDW systems.. or just for cloning.

I'm not sure who says bad things about adding Chorine but the last people that I listen to is nutrient company's. I've also been growing since 1993 and I've never used RO water in my life. I'm not saying that some growers don't need RO water but every location that I've ever grown at my water has never been over 0.4 EC out of the tap. If I had a location that was over 0.4 EC, I'd probably have to add some RO water to my mixes.

As far as Chlorine, for my first 14 years of my growing career, I was using 2PPM of Chlorine and didn't even know it because it was in my city water. Those were the easiest 14 years of hydroponic growing. When I left that location for another location, all that i had was problem after problem for about 2 years. I had no idea why I was having so many problems because I never had problems in the past. After 2 years of trying to figure out why I was having problems, I almost gave up growing until I thought about my water. I went 2 hours away and grabbed a sample of my old water where I never had any problems and saw that it had 2PPM Chlorine in it. Then I tested the water that I was using and it only had 0.1 PPM Chlorine in it. Once I added back Chlorine to my water, I fixed all the problems that I was dealing with. Personally I will never grow without Chlorine again in a hydroponic set up. So yes, I use Chlorine in all my hydro systems, including RDWC. I would never consider growing RDWC without the use of Chlorine. I'd be setting myself for failure.

Snype

Veteran
What are you using to test the chlorine with?

I don't have to do any chlorine tests anymore because I have already established my techniques by adding Chlorine every 5-7 days.

I do have an Extech CL-200 that I performed the original tests with that is collecting dust.

Vg_Ace

Snype you continue adding chlorine to your hydro system beyond the cloning phase?

I have a flood and drain system that I am going to be using Coco Coir in and I was going to be adding in beneficial bacteria. But after seeing your results in my cloner and the explosion of clean white roots I have to conclude that chlorine is good for the plants root system.

Do you use any beneficial bacteria at all?

Snype

Veteran
Snype you continue adding chlorine to your hydro system beyond the cloning phase?

I have a flood and drain system that I am going to be using Coco Coir in and I was going to be adding in beneficial bacteria. But after seeing your results in my cloner and the explosion of clean white roots I have to conclude that chlorine is good for the plants root system.

Do you use any beneficial bacteria at all?

Like Dok said bleach kills bacteria and the beneficials. The only products that I ever use in any of my grow systems are:

General Hydro FloraMicro
General Hydro FloraBloom
Clorox Bleach

I use those both for VEG and Bloom. I only add SuperThrive in the cloning stage. I don't use any Cal Mag, Silica or any Bloom Boosters at all. This is all that I use in any of my hydro grows. Nothing else except pH up and down. I have no idea why other growers use all those other bottles.

Vg_Ace

Can you suggest a general amount of Bleech to add to a gallon during the bloom phase, or what would be a good chlorine tester to buy then?

And I use Maxibloom by General Hydroponics. Absolutely the best 1 part nutrient I have ever used.

The Revolution

Veteran
Interesting. I get root hairs in 7-10 days using a product called dip n grow. Its a concentrated product that requires Fulton

Snype

Veteran
Can you suggest a general amount of Bleech to add to a gallon during the bloom phase, or what would be a good chlorine tester to buy then?

And I use Maxibloom by General Hydroponics. Absolutely the best 1 part nutrient I have ever used.

Well I haven't gone into smaller details but my rate suggestions would depend if you were in a system where the roots were always submerged or if they get flooded or drain to waste.

There's a difference because non of you are using any automation devices to keep a residual level of 0.5 PPM which is what I would be doing if I had something like this. I've suggested adding chlorine every 5-7 days but it's safe to say that there is no Chlorine left and it's probably gone in most systems within 3 days at these levels. By the time a couple more days pass, if anything bad is building up in the system, it only has a couple days to do so before it gets killed by the Chlorine.

But say you had a Flood and Drain system. It's possible when you put the Bleach in the rez, the Chlorine goes to work killing the bad stuff which is going to take the PPM levels of the Chlorine lower and lower before it has no effect. You may flood your table once a day. By the time you flood there may not be enough Chlorine left to kill the bad things in the medium. These are all things to consider.

When you consider my statement above, I can only recommend a starting point for you in a RDWC system. I would think in a flood and drain system I would personally add more bleach than these suggested rates and possibly even more often. If you get a Chlorine Meter to refine the process, you'll have better results. If I had a flood system I would probably add 2 PPM Chlorine every 5 days.

If you use Clorox Bleach, Non Scented and No Splash Guard,
I usually use 0.5 mL / 30 Gallons (Probably0.75 - 1.0 Chlorine) but sometimes further into flowering I'll take it up to 1.0 mL / 30 Gallons (Probably 1.5-2 PPM Chlorine).

If you use Bleach by another brand, this formula is not the same because your bleach will have a different rate of Chlorine. Also always use non scented and no splash guard formulas because they will contain other chemicals.

My syringe gives 22 drops for 1 mL. If I give a drop per gallon, it'll be over 2 PPM Chlorine. I use half of that so 1 drop per 2 gallons. If I was fighting a problem, I'd still never go over 2.5 PPM Chlorine in and RDWC style growing system.

Using too high of a PPM of Bleach can also kill your plants real fast. It's happened to me when I was testing Bleach in the beginning.

Also anyone can get a cheap Chlorine Meter on Amazon for less than $50 with a google search.