What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sniffing dogs

zorz

Alright so i have in my room behind my closet a small secret like room say 40 sq ft or 2 sq m , which has aN entrance THROUGH AN AIRTIGHT DOOR to the plantation room (setting example not actual fact)
something like this
http://prntscr.com/qfn67t

lets say the small room between is filled with 10 good air purifiers to clean up the odor

how effective is this ? with combination of masking (even tho i heard it doesnt work)

i know its not like you try this every other weekend but i would like to see opinions strictly over the scent area of the subject and the effectiveness on hiding the smell from the dogs

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
F'in dawg can smell all the way down to nuthin. Best to prevent the dawg from getting close in the first place.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
If the law has dogs there sniffing.... they already know it's there. All they are doing is gathering evidence that will stand up in court.

NO! You won't build ANY room that will fool a drug dog. Even if it's air tight and all the other bullshit, your scent from simply being in the room will be all over the door, walkway and hallway leading to any door.

Best to remain stealth (and QUIET) about your grow and hope you don't give anyone reason to bring a dog.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If the law has dogs there sniffing.... they already know it's there. All they are doing is gathering evidence that will stand up in court.

NO! You won't build ANY room that will fool a drug dog. Even if it's air tight and all the other bullshit, your scent from simply being in the room will be all over the door, walkway and hallway leading to any door.

Best to remain stealth (and QUIET) about your grow and hope you don't give anyone reason to bring a dog.

If the dogs at your door,,it’s all over,,no carbon filter or ozone genny gonna fool one of those doggies,,s2:tiphat:

sshz

A dog's sense of smell is 40X stronger than ours..........there is practically nothing you can do to mask the smell beyond what a dog can detect. But if you know a dog is entering the area, sprinkle pepper all over the general floor area, I believe this will irritate his nose and may get you by in a pinch.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I thought about leaving a jar of hemp buds out as a decoy, but figured if cops were that close that decoy wouldn't help. Maybe on paraphernalia... maybe.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
A dog's sense of smell is 40X stronger than ours..........there is practically nothing you can do to mask the smell beyond what a dog can detect. But if you know a dog is entering the area, sprinkle pepper all over the general floor area, I believe this will irritate his nose and may get you by in a pinch.
You don't honestly think the LEOs don't know that trick, do you? Foul their dog = guilty = more digging.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
saw a video years ago where a guy said it is good to grind some herb to dust and sprinkle all over the whole place that the dogs are overwelmed and cant find your stash.
dont think that will work and a simple vacuum can collect the evidence. also think that will attract the dogs to your place.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I trained dogs at a local prison as part of a volunteer program and although, I didn't train the drug dogs, I was working with the trainers that did. Believe me, they know every trick. And, they are way ahead of us with all the diversion tactics.

sshz

This reminds me of a cruise I took with my family out of Miami. I brought an oz for the trip and had no issues walking onto the ship with it when we boarded. But when we returned, I knew we'd have to go thru customs. I didn't want to throw it out so I wrapped it a number of times and stuck it under my balls. Customs was walking up and down the rows with dogs, letting them smell the luggage and people. I was younger, just a kid, and just wandered away anytime I saw one of the dogs was heading in my direction. They were anxious times............

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I thought about leaving a jar of hemp buds out as a decoy, but figured if cops were that close that decoy wouldn't help. Maybe on paraphernalia... maybe.

if you were legally growing high CBD hemp for personal use in a greenhouse, permit & all ($250 here for up to 5 acres) could (and would) a dog be able to differentiate between the surrounding hemp and the odor of a real plant among them? maybe hiding in plain sight is the answer to my problems...

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
if you were legally growing high CBD hemp for personal use in a greenhouse, permit & all ($250 here for up to 5 acres) could (and would) a dog be able to differentiate between the surrounding hemp and the odor of a real plant among them? maybe hiding in plain sight is the answer to my problems...
Now that is an interesting and intelligent Q :tiphat:

St. Phatty

If you're going to make that crossing, how about having a friend who isn't holding, go down to the pound and pretend they want to adopt a female dog in heat ?

Then spend time petting it - wearing the same clothes they will fly in.

I'm sure CBP has already thought of that (possibly because they also read ICMag) but well it's an idea.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Think the dogs are not trained for thc so this might work.
Where i live they would come to a legal hemp grow and randomly pick 10 plants for them to analyse and 10 for yourselfe to analyse and if thc is above 0.3 you got a problem

G.O. Joe

Veteran
sprinkle pepper

Maybe the dog hits on specific terpenes. Which are also in pepper.

could (and would) a dog be able to differentiate between the surrounding hemp and the odor of a real plant among them?

Wouldn't the dog be more likely to be most interested in what it was trained on, which is not hemp? Anyone who would jeopardize their license and ability to get future licenses for a plant that doesn't look or smell like the others would be stupid, even by cannabiz standards.

Latest posts

Latest posts