What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smoking weed while pregnant?

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok...

I do not mean to intrude, and I ran a search to no avail.

I am not pregnant, nor is anyone close to me.

This is a friend of a friend, who is very pregnant ( not sure how far along ), and she is smoking weed. Good weed. (My Casey Jones)

I for one do not agree with her choice, and now feel bad about being the catalyst.

I also want my friend to talk to her (not my place), but I want to know if this is as dangerous to the fetus, as i think it is...

TIA, and I once again am sorry to intrude...

smoking of any kind can inhibit bone growth. patients trying to mend bones are told not to smoke for that very reason. with the development of a fetus, i would think that bone growth would be very important. i would vote not to smoke while pregnant.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
mind altering drugs while the mind is developing?? terrible idea.
is it THAT hard to stop, for your own childs sake?? pffff, fuckign ppl these days

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
I vote for edibles. Nice easy way to get stoned/take away aches and pains and you don't have to smoke.

do you realise that thc, while a mild drug compared to most is also absorbed by the fetus?? do you not find that terribly wrong? wow. the audacity of some of the members here is mind blowing.

i'm all for MMJ and cannabis in general, but when ppl are so brainwashed as to think it is COMPLETELY harmless are almost as bad as the ppl who believe its the devils smoke.

jd4083

Veteran
do you realise that thc, while a mild drug compared to most is also absorbed by the fetus?? do you not find that terribly wrong? wow. the audacity of some of the members here is mind blowing.

i'm all for MMJ and cannabis in general, but when ppl are so brainwashed as to think it is COMPLETELY harmless are almost as bad as the ppl who believe its the devils smoke.

Came back to check on the thread since I saw a new "neg rep" from somebody :)rolleyes: ) and saw this. no shit dude, I thought I was the only one who felt that way. some of these cats make me laugh with this idea that pot is 100% innocuous and has never or could never do any harm to anybody

what i always wondered was if a lady smoked before the delivery, will the baby come out with the munchies???

sorry ladies
just throwing it out there.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The only thing I see wrong with a woman ingesting cannabis during pregnancy (in moderate amounts) would be ingesting indica or indica dominant hybrids.

Prohibition makes pure sativas very expensive/rare. Thanks Feds.

If I only had a nickel for every person that's indignant about something they don't know anything about.

Stay Safe! :tree:

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran

I did not say it was completely harmless, but many things that are ingested by pregnant women are harmful, too: think about the hormones in meats, the pesticides/chemicals in vegetables, aspartame and high fructose corn syrup in drinks, caffeine, etc. Think of the stress that she has to go through, both physically and mentally.

I'm not going to debate on this, because you can read the past 9 pages and I'd just be repeating what a few others have already said.

As Hydro-Soil says, moderation is key. I'm not saying, eat cannabis every minute of every day. I'm saying, take it when you've got pain, instead of taking the pills and shit that your OB might be pushing on you.

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
Before prohibition mothers used to drink alcohol while pregnant.

Before that, cocaine was the shit and it was put in everything... including pregnancy tonics and topical applications.

After alcohol and cocaine took a nose dive in popularity, guess what was the next big thing? Amphetamine.

I think the worst thing you could do is birth a baby with a severe additiction and withdrawals.

O yea, and birth defects aren't great either.

But guess what, there are women who birth children with severe birth defects and developmental disorders and they didn't touch any of this stuff.

I put my faith in god, personally. If you want to be scared of weed, don't smoke it while pregnant. The stress it will cause is probably worse than any of the "contaminants" inside a joint.

usda101

we can agree to disagree on this subject an for every one who has smoked while preagnant no offens meant, an hope all your kids are healthy.an my final thought would be lets air on the side of caution people if anything is worth it it's our youth.

ka0tik_kreati0n

♥-_-~Praying the Lord my soul to keep~-_-&#9
Veteran
as I've been told by a OB; when I was preggo, that the safety of the mother and sanity of the mother is JUST as important as the baby. Those of us that use it medicinally, well fuck, call me selfish call me stupid, but I know how I feel when I havent smoked for awhile and I dont feel right, I dont feel sane. So all of ya'll men can judge, but until you can carry a fetus/baby yourself, I'd recommend shutting the fuck up

Frozenguy

Veteran
You can say what you want about cannabis, good or bad, but its not good for a baby period. Good as in, they will not develop "normal" to varying degrees.

Our brain/nervous system is a chemical computer/system. It runs off of chemical interactions and when you start messing with that especially at a young age when development is a big part of your daily phsiological procecess, it can be bad or even wreak havoc..

I'm sure there are examples of people who turned out "fine", the point is why risk it.

If there is proof it doesn't get to the baby, and hormones aren't adverseley affected that then effect the baby, then maybe it would be ok, but I'm sure it gets to the baby one way or another.

Just because its ok for mommy doesn't mean its ok for baby.

With that said, the mothers/fathers of today are exposing their children to many other things, so smoking/eating cannabis is just something else among others. I don't let that fact hide what it is alone, but I don't mean to say that this is the worst thing you can do.

I'm just saying that it is bad, to a degree. What degree? Who really knows yet. But it is.

So is caffeine and high fructose corn syrup but, we've been doing it for years lol..

ka0tik_kreati0n

♥-_-~Praying the Lord my soul to keep~-_-&#9
Veteran
see I like to see intellectual and rational responses.. I honestly think that cannabis which is medicine to ME, and keeps me sane, and happy is a lot better than an aquaintance of mine who is currently near birth & is still tweaking...talk about wanting to smack the shit outta someone... I see both sides to the spectrum... it MIGHT potentially not be the best thing for baby, but what makes MOMMA happy & momma safe is exactly what the baby needs... And as my doc would say, the happiness of the mother precedes.... for instance, i'm bipolar, and take meds.. or at least did before I got pregnant... my first pregnancy wasnt easy, I was a raging lunatic half the time. So now im not smoking to get proverbially stoned, but to maintain my mood swings...
I got on a rant.... sorry bout that lmao

fred norris

People who are so undisciplined that they cannot quit smoking for less than a year to protect the health of their unborn child should not be ALLOWED to have children in the first place. That kind of shit sickens me.

you are an un-informed cockblister.

it boggles my mind how someone so close minded could smoke weed.

lord siva

How About some Science

How About some Science

Here is a study on the subject. http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/medical/can-babies.htm

Here are some results, looks like the mothers who smoked had babies that advanced quicker.

"At 1 month, however, comparisons between exposed and nonexposed neonates revealed that the neonates of using mothers had significantly higher scores on the Autonomic and Reflex clusters of the NBAS (see Table 3). On the supplementary items, these neonates scored higher (were less irritable) on the General Irritability item. "

Flying Goat

I was 29 & planning to conceive... I stayed off caffeine, aspirin, antihistamines, & my Prozac for depression... Gave up anti-inflammatories & pain medications for my FM & fractured back. At nothing but organics without HFCS or NutraSweet. No caffeine in my tea - nothing... for 2 years before becoming pregnant. However, I continued to smoke pot for my depression.

When I became pregnant, I stopped everything. I developed 24-hour nausea so severe that by the beginning of my 4th month I had lost 36 lbs. I had a frank chat with my doc, who told me he could not prescribe anything for the nausea, but that I must force myself to eat & keep it down. I told him I could use MJ. Without blinking, he said, "That's fine, just don't overdo it."

I vaped early mornings & as needed during the day, old Texas homegrown sinse. I vaped until my last month, when I no longer needed it, except for physical twinges of being pregnant (Braxton-Hicks, etc.).

My bouncing baby boy was born 9 lbs., 11 oz. Healthy as a horse. Now, he's 18 with a tested IQ of 178.

My doc thot it was more important for me to be off muscle relaxers, pain meds & Prozac than anything else. He even "stood guard" while I had some puffs off a one-hitter in my labor suite... (Ended up with C-section, as my son is quite big-headed...)

Like Hippie Lettuce & Mrs. Blunt, I recognize cannabis for the gift it is to mothers. Everything about this plant works toward balancing the female hormones, returning the uterus to normal tone, maintaining emotional stability...

If the mother is not healthy & happy, but rather ill & stressed out, how can the child develop happily & healthily? That was my doc's reasoning.

My doc was quite progressive for the time. He is also father of 8 kids & his wife smoked during every pregnancy, under his supervision. I turned him on to vaporizing & he agreed that's the best delivery system, as it avoids the carbon monoxide of smoke due to noncombustion.

Education is the key to this silly dispute. Any husband who can sit & watch while his wife is sick & vomiting, losing weight, stressed out & in pain, but still refuse her MJ is a sadist.

Pregnancy is supposed to be a time for a woman to turn inward, contemplating, nurturing, connecting & communicating with her unborn. Mother must be properly nourished, relaxed, peaceful in order for this to happen.

Smoking, because of the combustion, is not as healthy as vaping. However, it is MUCH more healthy than spending your days puking & feeling miserable. Cannabis capsules, also, are a viable alternative to smoking, as is cannabutter, etc.

It should be noted that ones does not need to get "high" to enjoy relief of symptoms. As we medical users know, there is a therapeutic window & there is a recreational window. Many times these overlap.

The key is for a woman (& her man) to be in tune with her body in order to make informed, intelligent decisions about their options re nurturing the child.

I think day-care is much more harmful to children than the mother's use of MJ while pregnant.

Flame me if you will - I stand by it.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Like Hippie Lettuce & Mrs. Blunt, I recognize cannabis for the gift it is to mothers. Everything about this plant works toward balancing the female hormones, returning the uterus to normal tone, maintaining emotional stability...

If the mother is not healthy & happy, but rather ill & stressed out, how can the child develop happily & healthily? That was my doc's reasoning.

My doc was quite progressive for the time. He is also father of 8 kids & his wife smoked during every pregnancy, under his supervision. I turned him on to vaporizing & he agreed that's the best delivery system, as it avoids the carbon monoxide of smoke due to non-combustion.

Education is the key to this silly dispute. Any husband who can sit & watch while his wife is sick & vomiting, losing weight, stressed out & in pain, but still refuse her MJ is a sadist.

Pregnancy is supposed to be a time for a woman to turn inward, contemplating, nurturing, connecting & communicating with her unborn. Mother must be properly nourished, relaxed, peaceful in order for this to happen.

Smoking, because of the combustion, is not as healthy as vaping. However, it is MUCH more healthy than spending your days puking & feeling miserable. Cannabis capsules, also, are a viable alternative to smoking, as is cannabutter, etc.

It should be noted that ones does not need to get "high" to enjoy relief of symptoms. As we medical users know, there is a therapeutic window & there is a recreational window. Many times these overlap.

The key is for a woman (& her man) to be in tune with her body in order to make informed, intelligent decisions about their options re nurturing the child.

I think day-care is much more harmful to children than the mother's use of MJ while pregnant.

Flame me if you will - I stand by it.
:thank you::tiphat::jump: :blowbubbles:

Stay Safe! :tree:

Latest posts

Latest posts