What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny Redthumb

My dad was a Geochemist. I had a high school chemistry teacher that pronounced it "kay-shun". My dad told me to tell her to fuck herself and fail her class.

rykus

me either,lol, especially saying its more intuitive... for some one raised metric trust me imperial is less than intuitive...

FoothillFarming

picture.php

However.......

picture.php

VortexPower420

Veteran
Slow- getting back to the citric acid. By lowering the pH of my water will in crease the nitrates vs ammonia in organic soil always wanting to produce ammonia?

So you could say low pH water for a week or two then no more for the rest of veg and the hit them again in the beginning of flower and the stop 2 or 3 weeks in?

I don't test, just some thing I want to be up front about. Mainly out of laziness and funds. Plus how do you test 30 or so different pots all at diffrent points of growth. Anyway it is something I plant to do in the future.

One thing I have always done and said for years is Ca Ca Ca. Also I would water in a couple of grams of borax per 100 or so gal of soil. I am thinking of pushing B harder to account for the Ca I always add (crab shell, carbonatite and gypsum)

At flip, in the past, I make a slurry of Cal phos, gypsum, sulpomag, borax, humates, sea min, fish hydrolyzed and some castings. The initial growth was undeniable. I would do it another about 2 weeks as well.

I started following the more hands off approach of topdressing all my nutrient accumulator and some gypsum plants at flip and letting g it rock. It has done me well but I notice my yeilds slipping and just think they could have more.

Quality is fantastic and bug pressure is always held in check. (I have a aphid and mite problem held under control with predatory insects and plant health. It's a ebb and flow of pest then predators. Kinda cool actually)

I have some big girls out side 7-9 feet that have been doing great all year in 20 gal pots of 3 year notilled soil topdressed with dandilion and comfrey. They are starting to stack and were getting droopy (lack of energy/SAP pressure).

I gave them the mix litsted above and the are praying the next day. Gotta love the Ca B combo to get things going.

Sorry rambling, I love this stuff. I go by feel and make informed choices on inputs but I know that I can take it much further with so hard numbers.

Thanks for all the great knowlage you are spreading.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Slow- getting back to the citric acid. By lowering the pH of my water will in crease the nitrates vs ammonia in organic soil always wanting to produce ammonia?

Chemically it should happen, whether in reality it does, I am not sure... It is something that I am playing with here in Peru, but no real answers concrete answers on this one. Are you using nitrates?

Plus how do you test 30 or so different pots all at diffrent points of growth.

If they are all the same mix, one or two samples made up of a composite of your best vs worst pots should do for the year.

If you wanted to take a sample and only test for nitrates and ammonia at the end of the season, it would be much cheaper. Soils don't change that easy due to their weight and the influence of your water.

One thing I have always done and said for years is Ca Ca Ca. Also I would water in a couple of grams of borax per 100 or so gal of soil. I am thinking of pushing B harder to account for the Ca I always add (crab shell, carbonatite and gypsum)

You are like a breath of fresh air. You are one of the few that understand what the bulk of the problem is, congratulations, really.

At flip, in the past, I make a slurry of Cal phos, gypsum, sulpomag, borax, humates, sea min, fish hydrolyzed and some castings. The initial growth was undeniable. I would do it another about 2 weeks as well.

Spending $50 at that point, might change everything for you.

Realize plants in flowering need huge quantities of metals. That is why so many are freaking out using Fausts super humic product with 1 Fe to 1 Mn, or AEA's pure Mn. Most folks have huge metal problems. Those really can't be sorted out very well if there is not enough Ca though.... Al starts getting picked up instead of Fe, Mn, Ni, Zn and Cu. Especially if there is glyphosate residues in the manures or composts that folks are dumping on... Metals throughout the planet are becoming more and more lopsided.

Here in Peru, nearly all the manures are influenced by glyphosate residues. I can only imagine how bad it is in the US.

Do yourself a favor, take some composite samples. You won't regret it.

J

Johnny Redthumb

The imperial systems is intuitive (i.e. 12", a foot is roughly the size of a human foot) and the metric system is...annoyingly counterintuitive.

What is intuitive about 5280 feet in a mile? Or 202 gallons per cubic yard? Or wait...is that dry gallons or wet gallons? A gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs. What is intuitive about any of that? And who's foot is really 12 inches? It was a exagerrated measurement of a narcassistic King's foot, nothing scientific whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts