What's new

Skunkman Sam How Does He Do It???

purple_man

Veteran
done know gypsna!!! same experience here... the only thing i wonder when it comes to plastic is following: i got a pollinator, and when finished sieving, there is loads of stuff on the walls and the lid of the pollinator, to be honest, i never inspected those "grades" separatly, since i always was under the impression that the stuff on the walls was less interesting then the collection at the floor (normally i scrap the walls, the lid, and mix it to the "ground" portion), guess ill have to do a small & !!! short run (10 seconds or so) and then compare the grades, as soon i do it ill let you guys know what came out of it! thx very much for the pointer again :)

blessss

mack 10

Veteran
that was also posted in the orginal how does he do it thread. (about the metal cookie tins) i think he nailed it with the last part of sam's process,#1 grind up plants over a 120 micron screen then #2 card over a 70 micron screen then#3,put into the metal tin,shake,then collect the resins..I'm trying this out soon.
Mack.

Prest1

I thought you were thinking about that on the other forum Gray Wolf. Sneaky. :) Good ideas, will give it a go myself shortly. :)

Dkgrower

Veteran
Ok so i just dumped some dry sift in to a metal box and shaked it and after that tab the side gently and then collect the resin that is stuck to the top.. it ditten seperate the heads from stacks

And also how do u break the gland heads from the stack, that seam to me as step 1.

Edit i got plenty off dry sift to play with so if some 1 has a plan i am willing to try it out

Dkgrower

Veteran
Ok so i just dumped some dry sift into a metalbox and shaked it and collected the resin in the top and it ditten seperate the glandular head from the stack...

How do u break the head from the stack, that seam to me as step 1

If some 1 has a plan i have some extra dry sift that i am willing to use

Also i use to get some very fine marok and that was also just heads, plus i have seen other high end marok that was heads only...

Garhart

Recall reading at times on threads of this nature, of butter cookie type tins being used to to collect hash from cannabis which other wise was otherwise not worth smoking. Sam was there and saw it. Makes sense that was the route. Must hand it to him, he has pulled more entertainment value out of a cookie tin than anyone. Seems like he takes things that many have already been exposed to- and he finds magic in them. Is that what legends are made of ?

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
its more fun to have a secret and keep everyone guessing especially when the answer is odds are super easy and we are all too stupid or stoned to see it.

I have read about this extract method for what seems like YEARS? Seriously how long has this been a "wonder what he does" question in everyones minds.

It reminds me of that strain that grows like ivy and would be the wonder outdoor guerrilla strain but nothing ever came of it besides the first few pics.

no matter what though, I love me some dry sift with or without 100% perfect trich heads lol, its all good enough for me and anyone not wanting the rest of the impurities there are plenty around who would lol.

C

Chamba

I used to do that metal box thing many years ago ditten have any polymesh

It might be an idea to work rough dry sift in a aluminum tin that has been fitted with two mesh screens...the dry sift could be placed in between two layers of mesh that have been fixed in place in between the lid and base of the tin?.

..hmmm, maybe, maybe not......maybe a different configuration would work better with the above concept?

purple_man

Veteran
high medmaker, as far as i know and experienced, there is 2 "paths", either you dry your material for months at mid - low humidity, or you can freeze material which has a higher humidity left, ... both actions go hand in hand, to make the waxy "stalk" & resin head more "rigid" and easier "fractureable"... hence everyone got his/her own technique... in my opinion an important factor is the final terpenoid level/proportion in the "aged" hasj, ... since my impression is: if you leave some moisture in your material before processing, more terpenoids are still in there, so if you process this material in comparison to a bone dry material, the terpene content is a higher one (thats why fresh sieves induce coughing, ...), BUT to me it seems, if you produce polm of higher terpene content and cure it further, more terpenes might stay in there -> leading to a tastier and rounded/character of the hasj. where as if you start with bone dry material, which lost most/a lot of terpenes, once you sieve it, and let it cure/age, the residual terpene amount is much lower -> after the cure there will be less terpenes and there degradation products, hence in my opinion the cerebral activity of the hasj diminishes ...
as stated above, this is just a hypothesis, and some thoughts about the process & outcome, hope my gibberish is understandable :)

blessss

Dkgrower

Veteran
high medmaker, as far as i know and experienced, there is 2 "paths", either you dry your material for months at mid - low humidity, or you can freeze material which has a higher humidity left, ... both actions go hand in hand, to make the waxy "stalk" & resin head more "rigid" and easier "fractureable"... hence everyone got his/her own technique

Right on...

... in my opinion an important factor is the final terpenoid level/proportion in the "aged" hasj, ... since my impression is: if you leave some moisture in your material before processing, more terpenoids are still in there, so if you process this material in comparison to a bone dry material, the terpene content is a higher one (thats why fresh sieves induce coughing, ...), BUT to me it seems, if you produce polm of higher terpene content and cure it further, more terpenes might stay in there -> leading to a tastier and rounded/character of the hasj. where as if you start with bone dry material, which lost most/a lot of terpenes, once you sieve it, and let it cure/age, the residual terpene amount is much lower -> after the cure there will be less terpenes and there degradation products, hence in my opinion the cerebral activity of the hasj diminishes ...
as stated above, this is just a hypothesis, and some thoughts about the process & outcome, hope my gibberish is understandable :)

blessss

I understand and agree that this is the path dry sift goes as it get older... 1 important thing tho is that if u sift is to fresh (To high Terp content) and u press it after some days it will get powdery and crumpel..

Dkgrower

Veteran
I used to do that metal box thing many years ago ditten have any polymesh

It might be an idea to work rough dry sift in a aluminum tin that has been fitted with two mesh screens...the dry sift could be placed in between two layers of mesh that have been fixed in place in between the lid and base of the tin?.

..hmmm, maybe, maybe not......maybe a different configuration would work better with the above concept?

Ok but what mesh size do u recommend fore top and bottom, i got most sizes from 400 down to 28my, its all polyethen mesh

C

Chamba

To prevent the cannabis from bashing around inside the tin while allowing enough movement for it to be sifted so the resin heads separate from the material and pass through the meshes and adhere to the top and bottom surfaces of the inside of the tin..you could set up the meshes so they are about an inch or so apart and with another inch or so from each mesh to the inside of the lid or base ....(Although it depends on the trichome size) I'd suggest using two x 120 micron meshes or 2 x 120 (threads per inch) Mesh

This wouldn't be easy to set up with just an old cookie tin ...so maybe forget the dual meshes in the tin idea and just shake the material inside the tin, then re-sift the resin, firstly through a 120 micron mesh to separate the trichomes from the larger than 120 micron contaminant and then card it over a 60 or 70 micron mesh to remove the smaller than 60 micron contaminant leaving a purer essence.

I'd suggest only using plant material that has had months to dry or many of the resin heads will become ruptured and smudged making them impossible to retrieve.

G

Guest 88950

once this is shown to be a way to get a cleaner product i see a new canna accessory hitting the mkt for those not so diy inclined.

At first thought it angers me that Sam continue to keep this secret for future profit. There are many ways to make money. You've been talking about this patent that you need but what is taking so long? You should have a patent pending by now. Sell some trees Sam to make some money if you need it that bad. Information should be passed on. Anyway its not that big of a deal if you only get 1% return on your product. I used to have so much respect for Sam and his free beans but now I just have a sour taste in my mouth. Think its time to release all my Sam ffreebies to the toilet where they now belong. Not saying the genetics are bad though.

Vokuhila

Just taking a wild guess here; could it be that step 3 involves a 'inclined plate-type electrostatic separator' (just google it, theres some pictures on the web)?
I think the trick is that the influence of the electrostatic force on particles depends on their surface area. Since the resin glands have an near ideal ratio of volume (assuming volume ~ weight) to surface area (roughly spherical geometry) and the stalks do not, they should be easy to seperate using this type of device.

First post BTW :woohoo:

guineapig

Veteran
If Sam worked for a corporation or a university, the secret would either be sealed up for
eternity or else deviated to an alternative purpose such as antibiotic spheres or prozac
spheres. He would have signed a legal form stating that all his discoveries and ideas do
not belong to him. At least his idea belongs to him and he can develop it according to his
personal philosophy.

Now if it were a vaccine against a new disease, I would understand the outrage with
keeping the research secret. But really he has perfected the ancient silkscreen process
of sifting.

I was curious about a full analysis of the sphere along with others :abduct:

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Last edited:
G

Guest 88950

i doubt Sam has kept his secret to preserve future profits.............what about profits in the hear and now.

he probably has kept quiet just for laughs but thats my speculation, you keep believing its b/c of profits.

Olifant

There's a few reasons Sam hasnt filed a patent. One is he hasn't had the time or resources to make the process automated in a manner it should be. If he released the patent now sure he could sell kits to pot smokers which would eventually be ripped off, but then someone else who does have the resources, expertise and time would automate it and make the big bucks on selling an improved version of the patent to any number of companies that make cannabinoid extracts from Dixie who sells otc CBD extracts to GW who sells prescription meds. Nearly qunatitative mechanical extractions which give high purity are of great use because they can then be combined with solvent extraction, sonication/pH manipulation, elution chromatography, or chemical manipulation methods such as the Malinckrodt patents which produce water soluble THC analogs before converting back to THC already in existence to make the process less expensive and highly skilled labor demanding for producing analytical and pharmaceutical purities. Not to mention the technique can be applied to other medicinally viable species such as Hyocyamus which produce alkaloids in glandular trichomes.

From what little I understand about his process you guys are on the right track with the electrostatic dust removal approach. I can provide links for circuits for diy ion generators