What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Skunkburner LEP Grow

A

ak-51

What is the feasibility on doing an all-LEP grow? Or do you think they are for a strictly supplementary role?

It looks like the coverage on those units is pretty small. Do you think it would take like 6 to replace the coverage 2 1000w would give you? With the light blending in your pictures I have a hard time telling exactly how much they're hitting. What is the heat like coming off of those things?

I know they're not cheap, like what, ~$1500? Most of us probably agree that we would rather spend a lot of money upfront than have a higher monthly power bill, if not just for saving money in the long run then at least for staying under the radar as far as the power grid is concerned. Could those be worth it?

S

skunkburner

I paid $1,300 for each LEP. I use them as an addition to the rest of my HID lighting. They give off too much of a blue spectrum for the flowering side of things, so you gotta toss in a few HPS bulbs to augment the red spectrum. Though you may be able to get away with using good red 660nm spectrum LED's instead of using the HPS, though that would start getting super expensive very quickly.

whazzup

Veteran
It looks like the coverage on those units is pretty small. Do you think it would take like 6 to replace the coverage 2 1000w would give you? With the light blending in your pictures I have a hard time telling exactly how much they're hitting. What is the heat like coming off of those things?
The coverage depends on your distance from the crop and the required light levels. You can veg mothers easily under one plasma in 9-16 sq ft, or use one plasma average as additional lighting for a 1000W lamp in flowering. However, the LEP has a square light throw and is easiest to combine when you have more then one lamp hanging.

Heat in the light output is really low, less than 4% compared to HPS 60% or more. It will not add any heat to your crop.

The advantage of using HPS is the cost, efficiency and the much wider specrum than single color LED, and also the heat radiation from the HPS is really beneficial for your plants. Temperature of the plant is a sometimes forgotten factor. Not too much though, all in good balance. Looks beautiful skunkburner!

S

skunkburner

Sorry for the lack of updates, the entire setup had to be dismantled and moved to a new location. Though I'm working on setting up in the new location in a larger area with more electrical capacity and will post build pics along the way.

mistery022

Hey nice report!

Do you use the 41.01 or 41.02 LEP as additional lighting?
Do you still have vegged with your LEP?

Peace