What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple Harvest and Cure (Step By Step)

Buddy Hemphill

should the stems be snapping before they go in the brown bag?...or still bending?

Maybe a better question...when do I look for stems snapping, as a dryness gauge?

should the stems be snapping before they go in the brown bag?...or still bending?

Maybe a better question...when do I look for stems snapping, as a dryness gauge?

In the post I state
Let them hang for three days (72 hours). After three days they my feel real dry or real damp. It does not matter.
So it does not matter if they are snapping when it goes into the bag.

I use this method of drying and curing because I could not rely on the "stem snapping" method. Depending on your humidity, size of budes, and even strain will give different feels to snapping. No matter how dry my White Widow gets, the big buds tend to bend and not snap. Hemp can be pretty tough somethimes.

So the answer to your question
when do I look for stems snapping
is never while using this method.

The very best way to tell if it's dry is to send my a jar or two and I will let you know:wave:

Buddy Hemphill

In the post I state
So it does not matter if they are snapping when it goes into the bag.

I use this method of drying and curing because I could not rely on the "stem snapping" method. Depending on your humidity, size of budes, and even strain will give different feels to snapping. No matter how dry my White Widow gets, the big buds tend to bend and not snap. Hemp can be pretty tough somethimes.

So the answer to your question is never while using this method.

The very best way to tell if it's dry is to send my a jar or two and I will let you know:wave:

I didn't use your method. Sorry I muddied your post. I am curing now though... and I am having great results.

Its jacks and fire og.

Whats your address?:)

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
While any oil will work, alcohol is much cheaper. I use 2 pairs of fiskars. One soaks in a small bottle of alcohol as I use the other. After soaking for several minutes, resin wipes off easily.

ziggzagg

Thanks for all of these threads on harvesting. It's something I'm quite fuzzy on and I'm learning a lot with each thread I read. I did have a quick question though:
How do you gauge when you should start flushing your plant if your trichomes are still clear? Is there some kind of time-table that would allow you to estimate when your plant should be at 50% cloudy, 50% amber? I know lots of people simply harvest at the end of their particular plant's suggested "flowering time", but what if you're not sure of your particular plant? Also, is flowering time taken from the date you set the plants to 12/12, or is it from the time the plant starts to exhibit sex?

I start flushing ten days before harvest. Ten days before harvest all the trichomes are milky with a mix of amber. After flushing the amount of amber increases to one third to half.

This is not an exact science, you may need to experiment and test until you have it perfect. Regardless, it will all be good weed if you wait for amber to show up before flushing.

SickNick

Hey Rumple,

great post man... i decided to follow your method this harvest so far so good :)

they just finished their 3 day hanging period and now about about to do the final trim before they go into bags...

my only question is how long should I let the clippings dry until I can make some canna butter out of them? or can I just do that when ever I feel like?

thanks alot!

I let mine get kinda crispy. I have left it in the bag for a month before tossing it into the pan and it came out real good. I'm sorry I just dont spend a lot of time on the clippings.

Get them real dry then put them in a ziplock then store it in a cool dark place. I freeze mine.

SickNick

sounds good man thanks alot... i dont spend much time with it either. but being that i can get something out of it, i figured i wouldn't waste it.

Blueshark

Rumple, I can vouch for your method.... Read your post on another site and followed it with my 1st grow... The OG Skunk turned out awsome... Thanks again for the tutorial