What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silver's second straight-bulb several strain sweetened soil sweetness. Seriously.

VG - good call on the input. Can you elaborate? The chicken poo or the cedar is too acidic?

Is it any more suitable if it sits for some time (a year or more) with other compost?

Just seems like it ought to be a decent resource (mostly since it's available), just have no reference or experience.

:thank you:

edit: Is it equally unsuitable for cannabis and the outdoor stuff (tomatoes/cukes/zukes/peppers/etc)...?

Cedar is too acidic and fresh chicken droppings are too hot but you could compost with lime to raise Ph and cool the guano.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Bee-yootiful input. Thanks VG - I really hope this thread produces more of this kind of information for us all.

I've got about 100 sq ft of raised beds outside - I'm thinking the guano might be fine if applied in the fall, as I'm shutting down the beds, right on top of the bed, with a sprinkle of lime?

Last year, I chopped down all of the veggies & left 'em on the top of the bed, and covered the beds with tarps & stapled 'em down. This year, I'm figuring to skip the tarps, but will instead chop up the plants to bits, leave 'em atop the beds, and cover the entire bed with about 12" of lawn clippings.

Am I on time with the idea that I might could get away with the chicken shit top dressed on the veggie beds in the fall, covered with grass, to be good to go in the spring?

:thank you:

I love this place. VG, go ahead and get yourself another beer. I want to see you with one in each hand please. :wave:

Sorry for the delay silver surfer....had to scrub the couch. DO NOT bring that fool over here again!!

If you leave the beds uncovered and have enough rainfall you should be good by spring with no mixing. Otherwise, you need to mix the lime in.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I know - the only thing is we get broads like CRAZY when he comes out with us. :dunno: This one time, he started talking about wishing he had 4 hands..

Excellent stuff on the chicken poo. Heck, I've been stoked as it is to have the grass clippings on top of the beds overwinter, but it'll be sweet to throw some [free] chicken poo on there too. I'm figuring I'll go with a pile of lawn clippings about 12" high -- and by springtime, it oughtta be down to about 2-4", .. no?

Also figured that whatever clippings don't compost come spring, I'll just rake 'em off the bed and into the walkway.

Hey, speaking of. You're pretty damned helpful with the mechanics of the outside, but now I need some help with the form.

Picture two raised beds, in the middle of an otherwise fenced-in area. That's the garden. So far, it's grass and weeds on the ground surrounding the beds. I want to make it so that I don't need to weedeat in there around the beds. What's the best, cheapest, most efficient way? Cardboard w mulch on top? Rocks? (what kind?) Pavers?

Is your avian feces flying in on cedar chips or shavings? If it's chips, you could just use that to encircle the beds. The only thing we ever had in our chickenhouse was straw. Well that and the occasional possum carcass.

Please consider keeping him and the broads off the waterbed unless you are in the basement.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
They're on chips - my sister and brother-in-law raise chickens for their eggs. 10' x 10' coop.

That motherfucker's not allowed here anymore - if anything, we'll meet him up at the spot for his chick-magnet abilities, but that's it.

They're on chips - my sister and brother-in-law raise chickens for their eggs. 10' x 10' coop.

That motherfucker's not allowed here anymore - if anything, we'll meet him up at the spot for his chick-magnet abilities, but that's it.

It's all good. Your social life is your business. I could see how he possibly enriches your life. Does he smoke whatever strain won the poll? I don't recall seeing Zalmadelica listed.

bobblehead

Veteran
I'll come in your thread and be a dick and insult you if I want! That's what friends are for. :D

Can't wait to see what you do this round. Should be great!

Bud-Boy

Veteran
I say compost up a batch and do ph readings. ONLY way to tell for your unique set of parameters. Too acidic? bring it up w an amendment. Now does all this, labor and dollas, or saving of those, justify your satisfaction of either route?

silver hawaiian

Veteran
bobble - :tiphat:

BB - The labor/dollars isn't even really on my radar when it comes to the chicken poop. Just the experimentation alone appeals to my nerdy hobby senses. :)

On a side note, the StrawDD is coming around, but I noticed something this morning.. On some of her leaves, she's got what looks like dried up water spots. I have been hitting 'em with a foliar every few days, but nobody else has the droplet residue on 'em.

Motivation permitting, I'll take a photo and put it up here for you gumshoes. :chin:

L

lordofthenugz

Oh shit! I'm in! I haven't seen a Golden Goat in a while!

Pullin up a squat spot too.

Peace!

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
you dicks, i have one off day and now i gotta sit on the third row...
jeez silver!
you vert guys just wait.... ill be over here one day.
until then,
i be lurkin

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Oh shit! I'm in! I haven't seen a Golden Goat in a while!

Pullin up a squat spot too.

Peace!

:tiphat:

you dicks, i have one off day and now i gotta sit on the third row...
jeez silver!
you vert guys just wait.... ill be over here one day.
until then,
i be lurkin

nameless! :friends: Snooze = lose bossman. However, knowing the nature of the company we keep, I have a feeling someone may get up for a beer and just wander off ("Ooh! A shiny object!"). So keep a watchful eye and you just might be able to snag a better seat.

count me in, i may learn something
Peace S

Whoo - no pressure, no pressure. I'll do my best to edjimicate - but at the least, I'm sure I'll learn some painful lessons on y'alls behalf. :tiphat:

Um don't crowd me here in the third row.

Hey IC!

So, speaking of lessons learned. I've been working under the T5's for s'damned long I think I forgot to respect the HPS.

I moved the GG, ND, and StrawDD into the flower cab over the weekend - figured I'd let em acclimate post-transplant before we start cookin'.

In the meantime, as I'm tryin' to be all nice and bring 'em around for a solid transition to flower, I hit 'em with a foliar (ful power & superthrive, dash of ProTeKt for stickiness).

..And left the damned lights on.

The GG and ND are rugged little broads - no worse for the wear.

But the StrawDD got her panties all twisted. The foliar + megarays cooked some leaves, left rust spots on a few others. She's back under the gentle glow of the T5 now, for some R&R&R, .. Not a showstopper by any means, but I've probably set this'n back a week or so. :wallbash:

All good - the ND takes her sweet ass time to finish, so I think I can probably start the flower, let the StrawDD recoup, then throw'er in the oven too, a week or so behind the others.

See? Lookie that - already a good lesson in "don't!" :artist:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Let this be a lesson:

picture.php

Foliars + HID .. Turn the lights off, brah.

Nightmare Diesel cuts coming 'round:

picture.php

(Front three)

Blue Satellite 2.2 seedlings:

picture.php

..all looking quite indica-y. Anyone ever find a good Sativa pheno in any of these?

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Lifestyle crap

Lifestyle crap

Fingered some'a y'all might appreciate this.

I was outside on Sunday, mowin' the lawn and planting some mums. At one point, covering up the last transplant in the bed, I looked around and noticed that this one plant (of which we have five) was generously covered in bees (literally 15-20 per plant):

picture.php

"Wow, cool, I was workin' all around 'em and they didn't even sweat me, cool bees!"

Come inside, take a shower, sit back down to watch some football. Look at the pup:

picture.php

"What the heck? Weird. Looks like some moles, .. ?"

No big deal. Keep drinkin' beer, dog walks over to my lap. Turn'er over and see this:

picture.php

picture.php

And this on the other side of her body/rump:

picture.php

Dudes, I think she got stung by a bee. Her usual loungin' spot is right in that same flower bed, right near a couple of those plants. And, she's also not shy about eating the grass/weeds in the bed. And the plants. Which may've been covered in bees..

Gave her a benadryl (1 mg/lb), and within two hours, she was up & giving her brother (2+ yrs her elder) hell.

As of this AM, the welts are mostly gone.

Phew. Folks, do your best to make sure your pooch doesn't get stung by (or eat) bees.

Fingered some'a y'all might appreciate this.

I was outside on Sunday, mowin' the lawn and planting some mums. At one point, covering up the last transplant in the bed, I looked around and noticed that this one plant (of which we have five) was generously covered in bees (literally 15-20 per plant):

View Image

"Wow, cool, I was workin' all around 'em and they didn't even sweat me, cool bees!"

Come inside, take a shower, sit back down to watch some football. Look at the pup:

View Image

"What the heck? Weird. Looks like some moles, .. ?"

No big deal. Keep drinkin' beer, dog walks over to my lap. Turn'er over and see this:

View Image

View Image

And this on the other side of her body/rump:

View Image

Dudes, I think she got stung by a bee. Her usual loungin' spot is right in that same flower bed, right near a couple of those plants. And, she's also not shy about eating the grass/weeds in the bed. And the plants. Which may've been covered in bees..

Gave her a benadryl (1 mg/lb), and within two hours, she was up & giving her brother (2+ yrs her elder) hell.

As of this AM, the welts are mostly gone.

Phew. Folks, do your best to make sure your pooch doesn't get stung by (or eat) bees.

Good call on the benadryl. I usually get extra doses of prednisone for my four-legged gro-bro....cheaper than a doctor visit when my gout kicks in:biggrin: Lord, when will them CBD Crew seeds get here?

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Trust me - I really do have my eyes out for a CBD-heavy variety.. Good for my anxiety, I hear, .. ? :dunno:

Too funny - this pup really is the RUNT of the litter. Small in size, and lousy immune system. She's got allergies to this, that and urry-damned-thang. Kind of sucks.

We have an appointment with a holistic sort of dog whisperer next week, .. :shucks:

I should've thought about the prednisone - part of her runtiness means that she's been on prednisone every other day for the last 10 days (and next 10), colovamox (x3 treatments), lime-sulfur baths, ..

Sucks dude. The sulfur baths make her smell like spent bottle rockets. For the past two months.

I've got some Z7 and Outdoor Mix on the way which is promised to be consistently high in CBD.

On the pup, one thing is to make sure there is no corn in any of the food. That shit is a recipe for skin allergies.

I still can't get this mud off the couch.

Latest posts

Latest posts