What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silly me, I stored my cigars on top of my grow cabinet. TMV?

singlecoiled

Hi all, this is my 5th grow and the first time I've seen anything like this. Its my first full run with Fox Farm Coco Loco and my seedling isnt doing too well.

Ive grown seedlings in Coco loco using the same starter pots and all went very well.

Question? Should I chop her and start over or let her struggle on?

Quick details: Fox Farm Coco loco with added perlite. RO water PHd to around 5.8, runoff around 7.0 after watering at 5.8 (high)

Lights SF 1000 at around 50 % power 20 inches or so. Ive adjusted it a bit but no luck

Temps around 73 lights on 68 off RH around 55

I started feeding Nutrients after week 2 at 1/2 strength. (Foliage Pro) EC around 150 going in, 300 runoff. Isnt helping.

The second node is coming in slowly and twisted. She'll bounce back, but its gonna take a long time...

Week 0 Germination to starter leaves. Looking healthy in pete pellet, transplanted to starter pot with Coco Loco
_DSC5873c.JPG

Week 1:

Roots reaching out into the Coco Loco, not happy ! Starter leaves twisting with an odd pattern on the leaves. New growth stalled, twisted and deformed. PH seems a little high in the soil, around 7.5 using a slurry test. Feeding low PH to hopefully balance it out..

week 1.JPG

3-4 days later....Very slow progress, my bet is another week or two just to complete the second node. Not good ! You can see that the second node is not growing well. My prevous grows had a full set of tri leaves by now, I know something is really off.

Note the mottled (marbled?) pattern... No flies or pests visible..

(Day 11 after germination)

_DSC5895.JPG

My plants always take a little hit when going from a pete pellet to soil, but normally bounce back fast. Not this time ! Any ideas what the strange pattern is?

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
That seedling in the 2nd pic looks like what I was going thru recently and I'm not sure why.
Some others were worse though. I just cleaned up and am trying new soil with other seeds.
I will agree it's confusing when you have several good grows and unknowns ruins the next grow.

singlecoiled

That seedling in the 2nd pic looks like what I was going thru recently and I'm not sure why.
Some others were worse though. I just cleaned up and am trying new soil with other seeds.
I will agree it's confusing when you have several good grows and unknowns ruins the next grow.

Chop time? thinking a new seed will move faster than trying to save this one.

She was super leggy, a problem I have using LED's and seedlings, the pete pellet was buried deep which might be the problem. But its such a small starter pot, I didnt think a stem bury would couse this much trouble. Maybe she's sitting in too much water for her small roots?

I'll try moving her to a bigger pot to see if the roots are bottoming out. If that doesnt work, I'll chop chop and move along.

singlecoiled

Oops, maybe this is whats poisoning my plant. I rinsed it well, too...

Didnt read it until now, it looks like it has some type of slow release nutrients.

I used a different perlite on the master kush above...

49551931.jpg

Last edited:

Airloom

Veteran
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slap myself...... The perlite I purchased has slow release nutrients (miracle grow)... I rinsed it well, but have a feeling this is the problem. She is being poisoned by miracle grow.

Didnt even pay attention, I thought it was plain perlite.
Good for you figuring it out. I’ve heard other growers refer to it as Miracle No (soil anyway)

Lots of good soils have amendments added which makes me avoid them

I am not a fan of mixing yards of living soil, but I like knowing what’s going in the mix

I think you got this now

singlecoiled

Good for you figuring it out. I’ve heard other growers refer to it as Miracle No (soil anyway)

I am not a fan of mixing yards of living soil, but I like knowing what’s going in the mix

I think you got this now

Yeah, I'll keep her going as a little project. Plants dont seem to mind the Miracle Grow perlite later on in life, but it seems to be pure poison for sensitive seedlings.

Last edited:

singlecoiled

I think you got this now

I looked at your thread, funny Ive already been watching. I think I learned something too...

So, it also happens that I store my cigars on top of my grow cabinet... From time to time I open the humidors to let the cigars breath. OOPS. Maybe its not the perlite after all..

This seems to be a classic case of TMV, and if anyone is at risk its me. Its time to move my cigars ! When I open my humidors, my grow cabinet is pulling air straight from a massive pile of cigars.....

The mottled or mosaic pattern here is really saying something along with the twisting new growth.

_DSC5901.JPG

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Dont panic!
Thats not tmv. I mean i doubt it personally.

364CC14E-6F45-45F6-8730-8FE46F3077EC.jpeg CCB64705-E093-429B-AB3E-ADE82F000407.jpeg 6444AFDF-83DB-497D-8120-008348C040A5.jpeg

Both of those ended up fine and are the two middle plants in the tent. Its not uncommon to see some variegated leaves especially in seedlings.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi all, this is my 5th grow and the first time I've seen anything like this. Its my first full run with Fox Farm Coco Loco and my seedling isnt doing too well.

Ive grown seedlings in Coco loco using the same starter pots and all went very well.

Question? Should I chop her and start over or let her struggle on?

Quick details: Fox Farm Coco loco with added perlite. RO water PHd to around 5.8, runoff around 7.0 after watering at 5.8 (high)

Lights SF 1000 at around 50 % power 20 inches or so. Ive adjusted it a bit but no luck

Temps around 73 lights on 68 off RH around 55

I started feeding Nutrients after week 2 at 1/2 strength. (Foliage Pro) EC around 150 going in, 300 runoff. Isnt helping.

The second node is coming in slowly and twisted. She'll bounce back, but its gonna take a long time...

Week 0 Germination to starter leaves. Looking healthy in pete pellet, transplanted to starter pot with Coco Loco
View attachment 18915682

Week 1:

Roots reaching out into the Coco Loco, not happy ! Starter leaves twisting with an odd pattern on the leaves. New growth stalled, twisted and deformed. PH seems a little high in the soil, around 7.5 using a slurry test. Feeding low PH to hopefully balance it out..

View attachment 18915684

3-4 days later....Very slow progress, my bet is another week or two just to complete the second node. Not good ! You can see that the second node is not growing well. My prevous grows had a full set of tri leaves by now, I know something is really off.

Note the mottled (marbled?) pattern... No flies or pests visible..

(Day 11 after germination)

View attachment 18915689

My plants always take a little hit when going from a pete pellet to soil, but normally bounce back fast. Not this time ! Any ideas what the strange pattern is?
On tiny seedlings it is best to start with a 6.0 pH and when the roots get stronger drop it back to 5.9 then 5.8 pH. and the plants will take off.

singlecoiled

Thanks all, Ive seen weird things like this before with early seedlings. I'll just let her run and see what happens.

Both of those ended up fine and are the two middle plants in the tent. Its not uncommon to see some variegated leaves especially in seedlings.

Thanks, Ive had funny starts before. Good to know your plants came through !

Possibly root aphids, or maybe it's just a runt. They normally grow out of it and then appear normal after a short while of stunted or slowed growth.

Ive been watching for root aphids like a hawk, so far I dont see them. I'll loupe the roots when I transplant. Good tip, I almost hope to find them ! I posted on the WInged Aphid or Fungus Gnat thread with pictures of a fly that looked suspicous..

https://www.icmag.com/threads/fungus-gnats-or-winged-root-aphids.157085/page-195

On tiny seedlings it is best to start with a 6.0 pH and when the roots get stronger drop it back to 5.9 then 5.8 pH. and the plants will take off.

I've been feeding at 6.0. PH is a little high in the soil, around 7.0-7.5, maybe I'll drop the feed PH a little lower as you mention. Thanks.

Seed is also over three years old, I was suprised it popped. (5 for 5 with Nirvana)..

_DSC5902.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts