What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silica in flowering?

HqFarms

What's the deal with osa?

How does it differ from any other Si product?
I know a lot of folks on he grab use it

The biggest difference is osa is not derived from potassium silicate, so no excess potassium. It does get expensive if using as a drench but as a foliar it is cheap and very effective .5ml per quart

Avenger

Veteran
Trich_Tyson said:
What's the deal with osa?

How does it differ from any other Si product?

The biggest difference is osa is not derived from potassium silicate, so no excess potassium. It does get expensive if using as a drench but as a foliar it is cheap and very effective .5ml per quart

the big difference is in the humectant(peg400) and acid(hydrochloric) they add to the potassium silicate solution in an effort to 'stabilize' the silicic acid.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• OSA28 derived from.jpg
    OSA28 derived from.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 35
  • osa28 full analysis.jpg
    osa28 full analysis.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 43

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yeah... I'll pass on the PEG400, thanks.

Don't care to have poly ethylene glycol in my food, nor vape products nor do I care for it in my cannabis. I'll stick with Pro-Tekt. Thanks. :)

Edit: And 32,900ppm of chloride?? Yum...?

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Doug...if your shop carries "Grow More" products, see if they can get you a price/availability for 2.5 gallon jug of "Silo-tec" (0-0-3, 7.5% SiO2, derived from BOTH mono-silicic acid & Potassium Silicate). It is far less than 1/2 the price of Pro-Tekt--thus making it even cheaper and much easier to use than the infamous "affordable" AgSil 16H. Who would have thought...lol.

Avenger

Veteran
Doug...if your shop carries "Grow More" products, see if they can get you a price/availability for 2.5 gallon jug of "Silo-tec" (0-0-3, 7.5% SiO2, derived from BOTH mono-silicic acid & Potassium Silicate). It is far less than 1/2 the price of Pro-Tekt--thus making it even cheaper and much easier to use than the infamous "affordable" AgSil 16H. Who would have thought...lol.

don't be a parrot.

silo-tec is nothing more than a diluted Agsil 25 just like Pro-tekt is a diluted Agsil21

it is a 2.5 SiO2:K2O weight ratio potassium silicate liquor that has been diluted for retail sale.

7.5/3=2.5
7.3/3.7=2.1

i'm sure it is a great product, Grow More is a reputable company, but there is no reason to make up magical mysteries about it, in an attempt to make it unique and superior.

http://www.pqcorp.com/Portals/1/lit/AgSil brochure 6-11.pdf

Last edited:

DocTim420

Ummm...imo, price and convenience of use (no mixing of dry ingredients) make Silo-Tec a "superior" item (not to mention it also is derived from mono-silicic acid--a claim that Pro-Tekt does not make).

Paying less than $14 a gallon for liquid silica is one thing that makes this product unique....lol...said differently why pay twice the price if you don't' need to?

On Edit...posted pics of label and cap (with price tag) from my 2.5 gallon jug I bought several years ago (since I could not find one on the internet). Evidently, Grow More only sells this in 2.5 gallon containers and....according to their formulator, is NOT the same as their other potassium silicate product (Armor Kote) that is almost exclusively marketed toward cannabis growers. (Can you hear the cha-ching sound from those old cash registers?)

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Trich_Tyson

the big difference is in the humectant(peg400) and acid(hydrochloric) they add to the potassium silicate solution in an effort to 'stabilize' the silicic acid.

View Image

View Image

Nice post. Not to knock the product. But it seems like a rip off. The silica is super low. Which seems to be why the potassium is low. Don't need the peg.. probably just helps keep things in suspension. And my other nutrients have the other micros.
Ordered 5 lbs agsil for $44. Should make a few gallons of stock solution at 7% si

Avenger

Veteran
hey doctim, I was introduced to a new product the other day that might interest you, its made by Siotex and is called eco-sil or grow-sil. It is 99% pure biogenic amorphous SiO2 and made from rice hulls. They are currently in the process of having Thornton labs test it by the AAPFCO soluble silicon method (Journal of AOAC International Vol. 96, No. 2, 2013).

anyway...

You could say any potassium silicate solution is derived from:
Silicic acid, potassium salt;
Potassium silicate and water

if the price is right, there is no reason not to use the silo-tec, i was just trying to help you understand that there is nothing magically different about it, no matter what you want to believe.

DocTim420

Just for the record, I never said nor suggested Silo-Tec was "magic", just said--it was "...derived from BOTH mono-silicic acid & Potassium Silicate). It is far less than 1/2 the price of Pro-Tekt--thus making it even cheaper and much easier to use than the infamous "affordable" AgSil 16H. Who would have thought...lol."

I agree, rice hulls are interesting, but imo, rice hull ash would be even MORE interesting--but at what cost? No rice paddies near my home (you know, that sustainable growing philosophy thing that some of subscribe to). As an alternative, I am seriously contemplating growing bamboo (very high in Si) on a corner of my property with the goal of making "bamboo ash".

My experience with most water soluble/aqueous nutrient products is that it causes plants to absorb/intake copious amounts of the active ingredient--much more so when compared to passive/dry inputs. This particular characteristic may not be all bad--but could be problematic if my only nutrient source was poured from a bottle. Hence, I use both...lots of passive Si mixed in the grow medium combined with strategic use of aqueous Si during the plant's growth and early bloom stages.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
hey doctim, I was introduced to a new product the other day that might interest you, its made by Siotex and is called eco-sil or grow-sil. It is 99% pure biogenic amorphous SiO2 and made from rice hulls. They are currently in the process of having Thornton labs test it by the AAPFCO soluble silicon method (Journal of AOAC International Vol. 96, No. 2, 2013).

anyway...

You could say any potassium silicate solution is derived from:
Silicic acid, potassium salt;
Potassium silicate and water

if the price is right, there is no reason not to use the silo-tec, i was just trying to help you understand that there is nothing magically different about it, no matter what you want to believe.
this is what i use now and i love it..fkk all those water solutions and this stuff is dirt cheap..its 6.28% of plant available silicon..Quntrill posted the throthon labs on the farm..here it is! 20$ for a pound and at the dilution rates on the bag its a no brainer to use this and it dont bring all the K that ag sil brings just my personal preference as i have enuff K from other sources

BubbaBear

Grow-sil sounds legit, fuck over priced silicic acid products or crappy potassium silicate with its PH of 12 and the unneeded extra potassium.

Trich_Tyson

I use agsil mostly for foliars. Occasionally in feeds as additional potassium and/or as ph up. But I’m my feeds I been using the grow dip as well. As it doesn’t send the ph soaring

2nerdy

Anyone interested, I have a source for 1 gallon AgSil25, it's $32 a gallon, at 0.75 ml. per gallon mixed, it will take you a while to run through the 1 gallon.

2nerdy

I've ran it for the last 2 months, it works but it's not made to uses with Dosatron.
In concentrated mix it will not dissolved completely and would cake up at the bottom like thick mud.