Signs that a collapse is under way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Tax bills in 2009 at lowest level since 1950

By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY

Amid complaints about high taxes and calls for a smaller government, Americans paid their lowest level of taxes last year since Harry Truman's presidency, a USA TODAY analysis of federal data found.

Some conservative political movements such as the "Tea Party" have criticized federal spending as being out of control. While spending is up, taxes have fallen to exceptionally low levels.

Federal, state and local income taxes consumed 9.2% of all personal income in 2009, the lowest rate since 1950, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reports. That rate is far below the historic average of 12% for the last half-century. The overall tax burden hit bottom in December at 8.8.% of income before rising slightly in the first three months of 2010.

"The idea that taxes are high right now is pretty much nuts," says Michael Ettlinger, head of economic policy at the liberal Center for American Progress. The real problem is spending,counters Adam Brandon of FreedomWorks, which organizes Tea Party groups. "The money we borrow is going to be paid back through taxation in the future," he says.

Individual tax rates vary widely based on how much a taxpayer earns, where the person lives and other factors. On average, though, the tax rate paid by all Americans — rich and poor, combined — has fallen 26% since the recession began in 2007. That means a $3,400 annual tax savings for a household paying the average national rate and earning the average national household income of $102,000.

This tax drop has boosted consumer spending and the economy, which grew at a 3.2% annual rate in the first quarter. It also has contributed to the federal debt growing to $8.4 trillion.

Taxes paid have fallen much faster than income in this recession. Personal income fell 2% last year. Taxes paid dropped 23%. The BEA classifies Social Security taxes as insurance payments and excludes them from the tax calculation.

Why the tax bite has eased:

• Stimulus law. One-third of last year's $862 billion economic stimulus went for tax cuts. Biggest reduction: The Making Work Pay tax credit reduced income taxes $800 for married couples earning up to $150,000.

• Progressive tax rates. Presidents Clinton and Bush pushed through a series of tax changes — credits, lower rates, higher exemptions — that slashed income taxes for poor and middle-class families. A drop in income now can trigger big tax breaks and sharply lower rates, sometimes falling to zero.

• Sales tax. Consumers cut spending sharply in this downturn, thereby paying less in sales taxes.

A Gallup Poll last month found that 48% thought taxes were "too high" and 45% thought they were "about right." Those saying taxes are "too high" remain near a 50-year low.

The lower tax burden should last at least through 2010, says Roberton Williams of the Tax Policy Center, a think tank in Washington, D.C. "Virtually all the stimulus tax cuts expire at the end of the year," he says. "So the key decision is whether to extend them into 2011."

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
So the poor a paying in less than ever before and average payments may be less than ever before but it does not change the fact that the tax on a marginal dollar earned is 35% not 28%.

Half of the population pays no income tax at all so for them taxes are as low as they ever could be.

I'm just pointing out that the USA Today feel good story doesn't apply to the top rate payers who are paying 25% higher taxes on the last dollar earned than in 1988.

:joint:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
almost NONE, if we had a quarter rock coming in probably wouldn't be post-a-thoning and pontificating ;)

vsgneh.png

ajc0k

Dude's, income taxes are at their lowest because all the fucking corporate companies are outsourcing their product production and they get tax cuts for doing so. On top of that, they bank their money in these foreign countries so they are taxed substantially less.
We received only $180 billion in corporate income taxes for the fiscal year, that is jack shit, say in comparison to the $80 billion received for cigarettes and alcohol.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Love that. That was ZeroHedge a while back.

Nothing more elementary than Elmo showing us we are fucked.

Exponential curves up ALWAYS come crashing down. Always, always, always.

The debt curve has most certainly gone exponential. This is logically unsustainable and will correct itself to the dismay of everyone living in the American Dream.

RetroGrow

Veteran
For the people posting about an overpopulated World. More scare tactics, false info and hysteria.

http://www.overpopulationisamyth.com/

Humorous videos debunking the "overpopulation", food shortages and the like.

Since I'm the one who posted about overpopulation, I will answer you directly, unlike what you did.
The video you linked to has to be the most moronic I have ever seen. Hard to believe that a person with a brain could buy into it. This propaganda video is put out by Steven Mosher, a Catholic pro-lifer, who probably also believes in creationism, like many other morons do. Not only is everything he has posted false, but to continue on our path of overpopulating the world is suicide. Our planet earth can only support so many people without being seriously degraded. The number of people the earth can support without massive destruction to the environment and all other systems related to it, has been passed long ago. It took from the beginning of time until 1950 for the world's population to reach 3 billion. It took only another 50 years for that number to double to 6 billion. It now is close to 7 billion. This mass of humanity is the direct cause of the environmental destruction which threatens us all. Too many people trying to get a slice of the pie. Problem is, the pie isn't betting bigger. It gets smaller each second as more people are being born. Most of these births are in the third world, to the people who can least afford it, who can't feed their children, let alone clothe, house, and educate them, creating a world of refugees. We are in the midst of the greatest mass extinction of animal life ever, because man is destroying their habitat. Our oceans are cesspools. The air we breath is toxic. Competition for food, water, and jobs increasing every day, as personal space and privacy are diminished. The only people who can't see the obvious problems caused by overpopulation are the religious fanatics, like the one you quoted. And I have to say his arguments are both puerile and idiotic.
But that's what you'd expect from a religious nut.
That video is not even a credible or logical argument against overpopulation. It is purely unscientific and religiously biased. It's sad that this is all you could come up with to support your archaic beliefs. It's made to appeal to creationists, the dumbest of the dumb, the people who are in total denial about all things scientific, but will fight you to the death regarding their ancient superstitions.
For every stupid article by a religious nut, I could show you a hundred that demonstrate the destructive forces of too many people trying to jam into the same finite space, while at the same time destroying every other living thing in their path.
Hard to believe that anyone could buy into that utter bullshit. But there's a sucker born every second, and that is the problem.
We will never get out of the mess we're in until overpopulation is put front and center by the world's leaders as our number one problem, by far. Only then can we begin to undo the damage we have done, and prevent the further destruction of our home.

joeuser

When world population got above 6 billion, a cycle of collapse began.
The only way to fix this mess we're in is to limit overpopulation.
Yet, our "leaders" don't even talk about this.
Corporations need more people to sell stuff to.
Politicians need more dumbed down masses to keep them in power.

Actually it was VERY cheap energy (oil) that allowed the population to grow like it did. And yes, you hit the nail on the head...government and corporation can ONLY prosper with growth. It's ALL a big Ponzi!

I read an article the other day that graphs current income taxes, they're the lowest since 1952.

Sure...with all the deductions, the lowest 40% of the population paying nothing at all...I can believe it. But then again...doesn't that make it tougher to pay the bills? Maybe we need to cut "services" by the same amount? I think we do. We NEED $1.5 TRILLION in spending cuts!

So the poor a paying in less than ever before and average payments may be less than ever before but it does not change the fact that the tax on a marginal dollar earned is 35% not 28%.

Half of the population pays no income tax at all so for them taxes are as low as they ever could be.

I'm just pointing out that the USA Today feel good story doesn't apply to the top rate payers who are paying 25% higher taxes on the last dollar earned than in 1988.

What we need MORE than raising taxes...is cutting what government does. How much it spends.

Dude's, income taxes are at their lowest because all the fucking corporate companies are outsourcing their product production and they get tax cuts for doing so. On top of that, they bank their money in these foreign countries so they are taxed substantially less.
We received only $180 billion in corporate income taxes for the fiscal year, that is jack shit, say in comparison to the $80 billion received for cigarettes and alcohol.

And how do you think the corporations get away with this? They ARE the government! And those who don't have anyone running...PAY for the laws they want...through contributions and delivering voters to the polls. GE paid NO taxes, got billions and billions in subsidies, sent 50,000 jobs overseas...and it's former CEO is Obama's "job czar"? It's all there right in front of you...if you open up your eyes!

igrowone

Veteran
we are seeing a variety of opinions of what collapse will mean
seems to be 2 schools of thought, 1 is civilization collapse, Road Warrior type stuff
the other is USA government collapse - whatever that entails - i've found history is the best place to look for lessons
the 2 most recent large collapses(that i recall), the USSR and the British Empire
USSR no longer exists, but the people(and ethnic lines) that lived under it are intact, there was no mass starvation or apocalyptic war, social disruption and lowered standard of living which persists for some(pensioners typically)
the British Empire gently went away - Great Britain itself did not suffer extensively, but the standard of living did drift down for a while
not quite the visions some hold here

I

In~Plain~Site

I'm not ready to go full-on Mel Gibson Road Warrior, bat-shit crazy, just yet. :)

I do,however, believe it prudent to 'get back to basics' somewhat.A combination of attitude adjustment,habits,usuable supply stockpile and some additional skillsets.

I just call that being smart and prepared for whatever.Let's face it, no one knows what's really going to happen.While history is a great reference, I believe it would pale in comparison because of how interdependent the global community has become, and just how much the U.S. is a linchpin to the global economy.

@ the 'Nutjob' comment

I've been called worse :tiphat:

we are seeing a variety of opinions of what collapse will mean
seems to be 2 schools of thought, 1 is civilization collapse, Road Warrior type stuff
the other is USA government collapse - whatever that entails - i've found history is the best place to look for lessons
the 2 most recent large collapses(that i recall), the USSR and the British Empire
USSR no longer exists, but the people(and ethnic lines) that lived under it are intact, there was no mass starvation or apocalyptic war, social disruption and lowered standard of living which persists for some(pensioners typically)
the British Empire gently went away - Great Britain itself did not suffer extensively, but the standard of living did drift down for a while
not quite the visions some hold here

ajc0k

Actually it was VERY cheap energy (oil) that allowed the population to grow like it did. And yes, you hit the nail on the head...government and corporation can ONLY prosper with growth. It's ALL a big Ponzi!

Sure...with all the deductions, the lowest 40% of the population paying nothing at all...I can believe it. But then again...doesn't that make it tougher to pay the bills? Maybe we need to cut "services" by the same amount? I think we do. We NEED $1.5 TRILLION in spending cuts!

What we need MORE than raising taxes...is cutting what government does. How much it spends.

And how do you think the corporations get away with this? They ARE the government! And those who don't have anyone running...PAY for the laws they want...through contributions and delivering voters to the polls. GE paid NO taxes, got billions and billions in subsidies, sent 50,000 jobs overseas...and it's former CEO is Obama's "job czar"? It's all there right in front of you...if you open up your eyes!

Bingo..Yup, i've done countless school reports on this horse shit. It's frustrating too, we really just need public campaigning and financing for future presidential elections, like in Europe. That way every candidate wouldn't need over $50 million to have a shot at presidency. Or my own young generation could simply get the fuck off their asses and learn to vote, and vote the pricks out of office.
And I've read awhile back that researchers found for every dollar that a company spends lobbying congress, that company sees a $220 return on their investment. Which basically renders the act of lobbying, more profitable than the cocaine trade. Crazy shit right? but this problem has been compounded by that semi-recent Supreme Court ruling on the lawsuit brought by Citizens United, that political action committee funded by the fucking billionaire Koch brothers.
With that decided, the court ruled corporations, like private citizens, to have the right to donate essentially as much money as they please. Thus, this unprecedented breach of congressional law opened the floodgates of corporate money to influence and and purchase elections. Undoubtedly, donations come to the aid of these piece of shit rich politican's willing to work in favor of business, even at the detriment of these politicians constituents.
:blowbubbles:

C

Cheeb

No doubt we'll soon see a life changing financial collapse in this country and many others tied to the USD across the globe..in the very near future. I mean.. its pretty much already happening. Our government is going to continue printing into oblivion to intentionally run this currency into the ground. Ever other country in the world sees it happening.. except the masses continue to run around like idiots avoiding the topic and deeming those to try to talk about it "Nuts!".

What "they" plan to do when the wheels come flying off is what really is starting to worry me.

"I'm a part of the problem, my problem is I'm peaceful"

-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts