What's new

Show us your extracts!

montroller

I think someone can probably explain it a little better than me but basically the top of the chart shows THC's boiling point at no vacuum. As the chart works down it shows THC's relative boiling point to the level of vacuum applied.

The post was made in 3 different threads on TokeCity but not too many people commented on it.

You can see that even at 1000 microns THC boils off at 111 F. This makes me think that the best way to rid a sample of butane without disturbing the THC is to keep your vacuum at around 7,000 microns in order to keep the oil viscous enough to degas.

I don't have a meter that can show micron ratings yet but I think it might be a worthy investment in the quest for superior oil.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think someone can probably explain it a little better than me but basically the top of the chart shows THC's boiling point at no vacuum. As the chart works down it shows THC's relative boiling point to the level of vacuum applied.

The post was made in 3 different threads on TokeCity but not too many people commented on it.

You can see that even at 1000 microns THC boils off at 111 F. This makes me think that the best way to rid a sample of butane without disturbing the THC is to keep your vacuum at around 7,000 microns in order to keep the oil viscous enough to degas.

I don't have a meter that can show micron ratings yet but I think it might be a worthy investment in the quest for superior oil.

Good point on boiling temperatures! There are 760,000 microns, or about 29.92" Hg to a standard atomsphere, so 7000 microns equates to about 9210 ppm remaining atmosphere or .27" HG.

For other substances, here is a handy calculator where you enter the known absolute pressure and boiling point and it calculates the boiling point at other pressures: http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/wrzenie.html

Most certainly the lighter mono and sesquiterpenes will also leave before the heavier diterpene cannabinoids.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran

Jump brought the TC thread to my attention, I feel as if the calculaters are not giving us an accurate reading for cannabis oil as a whole. If one were to take rock hard oil or even semi stable oil and place it under full vacuum with no heat it will not react. This leads me to believe that the viscosity and surface tension of cannabis oil are enough to render the suggested boiling points of thc under vacuum inaccurate.
Possibly accurate for thc by itself, but not cannabis oil as a whole.

If this were the case we would be loosing more than 50%+ of our oil by weight purging at full vacuum.

MattHend

6nyaSJ2.jpg

Are those bubbles likely to be still solvent remaining or are they terpenes, air, etc?
Thanks in advance

s4b

Some of the tiny flashes can be terps--they are volatile. If its sparking especially with an audible snap, crackle pop then its prolly solvent. Moisture can cause sparking too...

Oil in general can sputter and shoot off little tiny drops...

A vac at so many hours doesnt necessarily guarantee a full purge in my humble opinion...

Would love to hear others opinion as this has been a debatable topic for some time..thanks

MattHend

definitely no sparking whatsoever, melts away without issue. Tastes awesome too.... :)

is it bad that i am salivating in a completely pavlovian way thinking about the taste?

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
s4b i agree completely, if the vac purge is not done properly (oil not viscous enough) then no matter how long you purge for it will not be clean. Also people should be aware to purge for short intervals (i found 30 minutes) to avoid it waxing up to early and trapping butane inside.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
View Image

Are those bubbles likely to be still solvent remaining or are they terpenes, air, etc?
Thanks in advance

From the picture it appears to be solvent, it looks like when I scrape my oil after a quick heat purge and place it on parchment before purging under deep vacuum and constant heat.

What temperatures did you purge at and did you use deep vacuum? Decarboxylation bubbles are a possibility, but when temperatures have been kept low, remaining bubbles are usually solvent.

MattHend

so without a vac pump how do i get rid of the solvent? Am I not letting it heat long enough? I am only doing 5 gram runs, so it is under a gram of oil spread as thin as possible

castout

Veteran
bho...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 16

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
so without a vac pump how do i get rid of the solvent? Am I not letting it heat long enough? I am only doing 5 gram runs, so it is under a gram of oil spread as thin as possible

if your only using heat, the thinner the better and you need to keep your temps high enough to lower the viscosity of the oil to release solvent. I used to purge only with heat and was able to achieve almost bubble free oil, but it took some effort compared to using deep vacuum and constant heat.

CarefulGrower

Fresh outta the vac, the small 'bubbles' are actually holes where butane escape during purge. I don't fold in half to make it look pretty.

Master Kush
100_0757_zps2b6c0a22.jpg