What's new

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Discipline is what it is or passion ?...Paper-trading can include contests,stock picking,portfolios and even Motley Fools.I've been paper-trading since 2006.Even called the top in 2007 AND the bottom in 2009..Gotta love paper-trading :tiphat:

Do you have an account that you trade in with real money?

If I was actually trading real money, paper trading a new methodology for an extended period of time would be just fine. Also, another aspect, if your broke and have been successfully paper trading for 9 months but don't have the money to open a trading account, its a bit frustrating. Knowing your good at something and can make money at but at the same time don't have the resources to actually do it.

I'm getting close to opening up a real account. Debts are getting paid, bills are getting caught up, things are getting fixed, worn out shit is getting replaced, harvests are being made. Things are really looking up for me, for the first time in 2-3 years. I haven't had the money to fix the flat spare tire on my truck in a year, but it will be fixed next week. :jump:

I've found I like trading the Emini so much more than individual stocks. Eventually, if my account balance grows, I definately will have a stock portfolio, but will spend most of my time trading the Emini.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
I know the rules to trade with real cash...$500 to start to buy or if you want to jump on the other side and trade..then it's $2500 and you have to have a margin account.3 trades a week in 5 days with less than $25,000 or have that amount and trade as much as you want.

With 100 shares of anything at any price,you only need .14 to pay for the trade and the rest is your profit.

The other ways and means of looking at something that one can do over and over and then when you're practicing for so long with paper-trading...when it comes to real life to buy a stock...one would not run on emotion.So when one buys a stock and won't even flinch because he's more than 50% right..lol

Gold up 30% year to date and silver is up 150%

Sam,I know where ya coming from.. I'm on my last root canal soon and I'm good for the year. :artist:

Spastic,That 100 Trillion..and the printing presses make lots of sense.

A buddy wrote this."The price run of gold is due to a dying dollar.The dollar is being destroyed by the Fed and will continue to be destroyed by over printing.If gold is going to go down two things need to happen. (1) Decrease in the national debt, and (2) Dramatic increase in interest rates.There is a 0% chance either one will ever happen.Medicare spending will prevent a reduction in the national debt and if the Fed increases interest rates then we would not have enough money to even pay the interest on the debt".

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like the Chinese may be getting off the US Dollar train soon.

Central bank adviser says yuan appreciation necessary
By Kim Young-gyo
HONG KONG, April 22 (Yonhap) -- The gradual appreciation of the yuan against the U.S. dollar is necessary to boost the international use of the Chinese currency, an advisor to the Chinese central bank said Friday.

"To further develop the Chinese economy and to globalize the yuan, the gradual appreciation (of the yuan) is inevitable," Xia Bin, a monetary policy advisor to the People's Bank of China, said on a twitter-like microblog run by Internet portal Sina.com

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
so for the average Joe who is oblivious to the massive shifts that I foresee with currency, what would you all suggest as an alternative? What tangible currency/precious metal is looking like the next universal form/gauge of wealth?

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Land near water and physical metals IMO. I like silver personally.

My BFF George Soros said that oil and precious metals have now become currency since the dollar is on it's last leg.

University of Texas just took $1bil delivery of physical gold.

IMO, when the dollar finally pukes it's malignancy on the world all at once there will be a "flight to safety" in physical commodities. This is the hyper inflationary event. After a bit of chaos and head and ass scratching some other form of monetary policy will take it's place.

I would expect prices to start really moving now that the inflation is finally hitting the consumer. Inflation has momentum and Uncle Benny has made a tsunami of digital paper that he thinks he can stop "in 15 minutes." Ok. Good luck with that.

I don't have a lot of confidence in The Bernak.

Here's a dramatization of what I think is going on In The Bunker at JP Morgan.. Starring Jamie Dimon CEO of JP Morgan one of the "Masters of the Universe" as on CNBC.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Absolutely remember you mentioning BWLD...as for the second part...LOL!

(can't post on this site , servers are soooo slow , takes a minute for pages to load even on HS wireless, IC is impossible <GG)

Anyways :

Buffalo Wild Wings now at the high @ $60 ...topping a bit but always performs from feb thru April so a 30% gainer eps on this tues could hit $65
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=BWLD&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p21462248947

AAPL well , was incredible week last week as it hit $320 & bounced 40pts ...now this week brings on quite a few real notables like NFLX tomorrow AMZN BWLD tues . There are Rails like CNI & NSC , Refiners like CVX , VLO COP & XOM , Internets EBAY BIDU MSFT, lots of semis KLAC VAR , Boeing/BA, US Steel/X , Healthcare CAH , Genral Dynamics & Dupont /D , SBUX , UPS ...on & on .

Reporting this week of April 25th-29th some of the bigger names include:

* Monday: ABFS, CYOU, BEAV, BPOP, ACGL, MAS, NFLX , RCII, SANM, UCTT, VECO, WRB, and WCN.

* Tuesday: MMM, ACPW, AKS, ACI, AN, CPLA, COH, KO, DAL, F, GPI, HSY, ITW, LMT, LO, MHP, ODP, PCH, RYN, UA, X, UPS, LCC, VLO, WDR, ADVS, AMZN, AJG, BGS, BDX, BRCM, BWLD, CNI, DV, EHTH, FORM, IRBT, LIFE, MIPS, HA, RFMD, SSCC, SWK, SFSF, SMCI, UHS, USNA, VSI, and WBSN

* Wednesday: ARMH, AUO, ABX, BA, BP, EAT, COP, DPS, ENR, GD, LAZ, LAD, ERIC, MSO, MCO, TUP, WLP, WHR, AKAM, ALL, AVB, BIDU, EBAY, FLEX, FLS, LOGI, MBFI, NSC, ORLY, SBUX, TQNT, and VAR.

* Thursday: ABC, BWA, BGG, BMY, CAB, CAH, CELG, CME, CCE, CL, XRAY, D, DOW, XOM, BEN, HEP, HST, IMAX, KBR, MJN, OXY, OMX, OSK, PEP, POT, PG, PHM, CELL, CSTR, DECK, TWC, STRA, KLAC, MSFT, MWW, NTGR, SIMO, TRLG, and VRSN.

* Friday: AXL, CAT, CVX, DHI, FLIR, GT, LEA, MRK, and WY.

M

Mountain

Silver couldn't be more overbought than it is right now and the recent activity, especially today's mega volume day, looks like a blowoff top if it were a stock.

M

Mountain

Was watching AGQ after hours and pretty much flat and now at 4 PST it all of a sudden cratered and down 8 but coming back. When it was up about 12 late this afternoon was tempted to buy a put...but each contract was going for over $3,000 near the money in part cause the premium is insane on these things but also at $350 a share a contract would cost $35,000 to exercise.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Apmex Starts Reverse Inquiry: Seeks To Buy "Any Quantity" Of Silver From Clients At $3 Over Spot
Over the past hour Zero Hedge has been inundated with reader comments notifying us that Ampex has, validating the earlier post speculating about a possible silver shortage at the metals distributor, launched a "reverse ïnquiry" in which it will pay "you $3.00 over the current spot price of Silver for your Silver American Eagles. ANY year, ANY quantity!" and "We will pay you $38.00 over the current spot price of Gold for your Gold American Eagles. ANY year, ANY quantity!" So aside from this first public confirmation that one of the biggest wholesale retailers of precious metals is now inventoryless [sic], we can certainly see why Asia has decided to take silver down in the afterhours electronic session.

Click the link to see the actual Apmex Ad.

I think I'm going to get a little more physical silver for my safe. Fuck you JP Morgan. The Ponzi wears no clothes. The nation is calling your bluff.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
MMG finally went no place and I'm looking at ZAGG to see if a big bang going to happen.Same with REDF as its Rediff.com India Limited sort of a Bidu in China and Google in usa.We'll See.

I got in on Thursday and forgot about Friday when the market was closed for good friday.Even woke up friday morning and went "Dang,it's closed today."

Anyways ,,,,,Wow..love the Pop !!!! REDF up $2.80 in one day mid afternoon today !!!!

ZAGG is Up close to $1.00 Thursday-Tuesday.

Seems all metals taking a pullback now.Or a correction. :artist:

M

Mountain

AGQ down 25. That action early yesterday was a major red flag at that point in the chart. Down 25 now.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Silver getting hammered today. Profit taking and shaking out the weak hands. :D

I like the long term outlook though. The Euro is the currency for an insolvent union yet it's bashing the dollar. That says a lot IMO.

Euro strikes 16-month high against dollar

The euro struck a 16-month high against the dollar and the Swiss franc notched a record high versus the US unit Tuesday amid heightened investor nerves over this week's busy economic calendar.

The European single currency hit $1.4653 in morning trade, the highest point since mid-December 2009, as many dealers returned from a long holiday weekend. It later stood at $1.4619, compared with $1.4572 late in New York on Monday.

The dollar meanwhile tumbled to an all-time low point of 0.8745 Swiss francs.

Investors moved to adjust positions ahead of the US Federal Reserve's two-day policy meeting, which was to open later on Tuesday, dealers said.

The central bank's Federal Open Market Committee is widely expected to maintain interest rates at between zero and 0.25 percent, where they have stood since December 2008.

Traders are also eagerly awaiting Thursday's publication of US gross domestic product (GDP) data for the first three months of 2011.

"The US dollar continues to remain under pressure ahead of this week's key FOMC rate meeting tomorrow and first quarter GDP figures, which are due on Thursday," said CMC Markets analyst Michael Hewson.

Markets are keenly awaiting Fed chairman Ben Bernanke's first news conference on Wednesday after the meeting. It will be the first by any Fed chief, in contrast with regular news conferences held by European Central Bank President Jean-Claude Trichet.

"As such markets will be closely scrutinising the post-FOMC meeting press conference for clues as to the committee's thinking ... especially in light of the recent downgrade by S&P of the outlook for the US economy," added Hewson.

Standard & Poor's shook the markets last week when it downgraded its ratings outlook on US debt for the first time ever, putting the spotlight on Washington's consistent failure to stabilise the US public finances.

The downgrade and a warning that S&P could cut the rating outright if no solution is forthcoming has pressured the dollar since even though the eurozone has its own debt problems which refuse to go away.

In London on Tuesday, the euro changed hands at $1.4610 against $1.4572 late in New York on Monday, at 119.38 yen (119.28), £0.8862 (0.8833) and 1.2815 Swiss francs (1.2840).

The dollar stood at 81.71 yen (81.82) and 0.8871 Swiss francs (0.8808).

The pound was at $1.6484 (1.6493).

On the London Bullion Market, gold prices stood at $1,504.65 an ounce compared with $1,504 late Thursday, when the market shut for the long holiday weekend. However, gold hit a record $1,518.32 in Asian trading hours on Monday.

M

Mountain

Down 30 now and expect it to close very weak. My guess is a lot of profit taking. That chart was not sustainable and got overheated. Long term yes. Sometimes I wonder if some manipulation to drive it down a bit for some big money to come in and scoop up some silver on the 'cheap'.

M

Mountain

The silver ETF is showing classic signs of a climax top, the same way a stock does at its apex.
Today from IBD. I saw this happening early yesterday with that gap open and HUGE volume compared to it's trading history. Who knows what tomorrow brings though?

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Down 30 now and expect it to close very weak. My guess is a lot of profit taking. That chart was not sustainable and got overheated. Long term yes. Sometimes I wonder if some manipulation to drive it down a bit for some big money to come in and scoop up some silver on the 'cheap'.

Maybe so. The big boys do whatever they want. You know the saying, "If you don't know who the sucker in the market is....it's you."

Another reason I like silver long term. Even Bill Gross is admitting the USA is at the Keynesian endpoint. Full article from Bill is in the link.

Pimco's Observations As The US "Reaches The Keynesian Endpoint" - The QE2 Ponzi Scheme Is "Nothing But A Profit Illusion"
Once again, it is the world's biggest bond manager which either is really tempting fate by telling the truth in an increasingly more aggressive manner day after day, or is engaging in the most acute case of reverse psychology ever seen, coming out with the most critical opinion of the Fed's actions on the verge of the Fed's historic first press conference. And this one is truly a stunner, far more real than anything even Bill Gross has said in the past: "Just as Charles Ponzi needed donuts to turn back a suspicious crowd of investors, the Fed needs “donuts” in order to fill the bellies of the literally millions of investors worldwide who worry about the alarmingly large U.S. budget deficit and the impact that the U.S. debt dilemma could have on their Treasury holdings...Their collective buying has created what we believe to be a profit illusion with many investors mistakenly believing they can continuously reap profits from perpetually falling bond yields and rising bond prices, just as they have had opportunity to do over the past 30 years, amid the great secular bull market for Treasuries and the bond market more generally...For many reasons, this “duration tailwind” for Treasuries can’t last, particularly because the United States has reached the Keynesian Endpoint, where the last balance sheet has been tapped." Must read.
Game over for the Federal Reserve. They are about to end themselves.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
AGQ-Silver finished today down 26....seems after hours it got back 13 at 332.00.

ZSL-UltraShort Silver ..Good for the other side of Silver.

DZZ Gold can be fun to play with thousands shares for pennies in contests and with limit orders.Such tight spread I agree.

FOMC meeting tomorrow.Close eye on it and watch for spikes out there.:dance013:

M

Mountain

FOMC meeting tomorrow.Close eye on it and watch for spikes out there.:dance013:
In a clime like this would not expect any announcement out of the ordinary and as a result not much action to follow. Sometimes it seems the day after the announcement tells the tale of the tape better.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
NFLX $228 taken down 23pts almost 10% ..after touching the triple top resistance @ $250/54, even after beating sub & rev numbers nicely ...low barriers to entry , Youtube setting up movie rental service knocked it down...subs guidance was little lite
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=AMZN&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p94684700356

* AMZN dropped/lost almost 15pts after hours tonight to $170 from $184 after missing big on the eps but still reporting huge rev sales & guided the same (still threats from higher costs /online taxes ) ...then bounced 14pts back up then settled back down 6 to finish around $177 ...almost 35pts of long & short swings in the after hours <g

BWLD reported well & closed up to $63 at 52wk high

Latest posts

Latest posts