What's new

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
REDF ... Another $2.00 today..Ohhh that's $4.00 sounds nice.Some fast gains it's making.

I always thought if you spend say under $2,000 just to make an $100 for a day..One did alright. ;-)

with 100 shares of anything,and this is way better than the bank's 1.25% interest in savings.Just pay the $14.00 trade and .14 breakout

What a fun day today ! :dance013:

M

Mountain

AGQ...LOL!!! Off it's 10 and hot hot hot! As I said this is not a stock but a commodity. These wild swings add an insane amount of premium to options. If a stock that was a climax top but this thing is kicking into another gear.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My pony is kicking some serious ass after getting kicked in the teeth for a bit. The Bernank's propaganda stunt failed to calm inflation hedge it seems. Looks like everything is continuing it's meltup today. Oil, metals, equities all nicely up. Dollar is still crashing and burning.

I didn't catch his presser. I'm sure it was a great recap of Keynesian hubris. I heard he said most central banks like to keep inflation at 2%. What no one is telling you is back in the "old days" of central banking creating an inflation target was hearsay. Absolute idiocy. Ben would be a big EPIC FAIL on standard Keynesian philosophy. I'm sure this Neo-Keynesian stuff is going to work out awesome though. After all, he's a genius as they keep reminding everyone on CNBC.

I say buy physical silver. Crash the COMEX. :D

gonzo`

nice thread. what about the fact that china holds a significant amount of us debt? not really in their interest to stop buying t-bills this far in... what you guys recon?

M

Mountain

nice thread. what about the fact that china holds a significant amount of us debt? not really in their interest to stop buying t-bills this far in... what you guys recon?
China just announced that they are basically going to sell the $ amount they hold that the Fed just printed in excess thus diluting their position. China is throwing that paper right back at the US.

Basically China saying F U to the US :)

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran

China will be forced to decouple from the dollar and our debt. They both are too unstable. Bill Gross from PIMCO is out of dollar denominated assets and advising others to do the same. It's like watching rats jump off the sinking ship.

When they do decide to dump our T-Bills and appreciate the Yuan the party known as the USA will be over. The time is getting close IMO. They will be fucking themselves no doubt, but we are exporting so much inflation that they are beginning to have social unrest problems like the rest of the world. They have no choice. I believe we are about to go through a process of creative monetary destruction.

Make your money while you can. Lots of money to be made in equities right now. I wouldn't hold equity positions overnight. They will evaporate one day. I'm long Silver and WWIII.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
My pony is kicking some serious ass after getting kicked in the teeth for a bit. The Bernank's propaganda stunt failed to calm inflation hedge it seems. Looks like everything is continuing it's meltup today. Oil, metals, equities all nicely up. Dollar is still crashing and burning.

I didn't catch his presser. I'm sure it was a great recap of Keynesian hubris. I heard he said most central banks like to keep inflation at 2%. What no one is telling you is back in the "old days" of central banking creating an inflation target was hearsay. Absolute idiocy. Ben would be a big EPIC FAIL on standard Keynesian philosophy. I'm sure this Neo-Keynesian stuff is going to work out awesome though. After all, he's a genius as they keep reminding everyone on CNBC.

I say buy physical silver. Crash the COMEX. :D

Most probably don't remember but I came in here a month or two ago asking about silver.. Well I took the plunge then and bought a LOT at around $35.. I'm fooking stoked and on my way to buy some more.

If only I would have listened to my buddy a year or so ago and bought in with him at $18

Now back to that foreign language ya'll speak :wave:

L

laylow

Most probably don't remember but I came in here a month or two ago asking about silver.. Well I took the plunge then and bought a LOT at around $35.. I'm fooking stoked and on my way to buy some more.

If only I would have listened to my buddy a year or so ago and bought in with him at $18

Just how i feel :shucks:

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Congrats bro. Not only are you fucking the banks by taking delivery of your silver, you've made wise investment choice IMO. I think this is the right play. We won't know till it all shakes out though. I'm loading up, but am still thinking diversification.

So how about silver and that COMEX? I think Jamie Dimon over at JP Morgan may be starting to squirm in his seat a bit. Things may be heating up on the hot seat? :dunno:

How The Comex Lost 20% Of Its "Registered" Silver In One Week, Or Where There's Smoke Of A Run, There's Probably A Run ZeroHedge
A week ago we noted something peculiar: in one day, COMEX depository Scotia Mocatta (one of five in the world) saw a 25% transfer of silver from "registered" (or deliverable physical) to "eligible" (or "undefined" - a distinction discussed previously, and also below). We said: "Canada's largest bullion depository (and one of five total) reclassified a whopping 5.2 million ounces of silver from Registered to Eligible status. In order to get a sense of how big this amount is, which amounts to just under $238 million at today's fixing price, it represents just over 25% of the total silver stored at Scotia Mocatta, and about 5% of the total silver held across all depositories." The reason then given was: "due to a reporting reclassification, 5,287,142 t oz was moved from Registered to Eligible." To our (lack of) surprise, a quick glance at today's silver holdings at the Comex confirms that the trend of reclassification is continuing unabated, and total "physical" silver across the entire Comex universe has now plunged by almost 20%, or from 41 million ounces to 33 million ounces, in the span of one week! And while last week it was Scotia Mocatta, today it is HSBC and the Delaware Depository, and the reason given: "Adjustments include reporting classifications of t oz that were moved from Registered to Eligible. Please see Special Executive Report reference 5736 for additional information. http://www.cmegroup.com/tools-information/advisorySearch.html#." And a further drill down reveals the following link. Many have speculated that there could well be a run on physical silver. But for those looking for a smoking gun, this is probably as close as you will get to one, short of JPM actually declaring "force majeure."

April 20
Mocatta%204.20_1.jpg

Today
Comex%204.27.jpg

RetroGrow

Veteran
Made some nice, quick trades this morning and was up about $1000, and waited for Fed announcement, which was inconsequential. Dow jumped up 30 points and I shorted a couple of "overbought" stocks, which started to pull back, but market exploded into the close and I got crushed. Each time my stocks pulled back, and I thought I was safe, market just melted higher on short covering. I was trapped and got crushed in the end. Down $1000. My initial plan this morning was to buy 5000-10000 shares on any dump of redf, but got sidetracked making other trades and missed the boat. Needless to say, REDF rocketed over $3 off it's low and I blew my chance to make $30,000.
I mostly play "hot money" stocks, and trade by the seat of my pants. I'll will be back to shorting the same stocks tomorrow that burned me today on the short squeeze. Market can't go up 100 points every day. World situation sure looks bleak to me. Don't know what everyone's so optimistic about.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From CitiBank....

No QE3 Right - So Why Did The USD Just Hit A New Cyclical Low? Citi Explains Why ZeroHedge
If you are confused why at one point every word the Chairman said was the equivalent of one pip lower for the DXY and 10 cents higher for gold, wonder no more. Here is Citi's Steven Englander asking, and explaining why the USD just hit a new cyclical low.

From Citi's Steven Englander:

Asset markets pretty much liked the FOMC statement and really liked the press conference, but that's not the same thing as liking the USD. Consider the chart below -- the blue line shows the tick-by-tick drop in DXY (the dollar index) from noon to 4PM New York time, encompassing the FOMC statement and the press conference. The red line is the S&P and the green line is the two year yield. The question is what surprised the market to such a degree that the USD basically hit new cyclical lows.

The factors:

1) the Fed comfort zone with how core inflation is evolving -- investors may have been looking for an upgrading of the degree of inflation concern that did not emerge either in the statement or in the press conference comments -- neither emerged

2) the dismissal of USD weakness as a factor driving commodity prices -- echoing a speech by Fed Vice-Chairman Yellen a few weeks ago; rapid growth in EM economies was viewed as the major factor in commodity price strength

3) the comments on a strong dollar policy were treated pretty much as pro forma relative to the view that a stronger US economy is a prerequisite to a stronger USD in the medium -- a view that embraces USD weakness in the near-term -- "The second thing we are trying to accomplish is get a stronger recovery and achieve maximum employment. Again, a strong economy attracting foreign capital will be good for the dollar."

4) reference to the success of QE2 -- in particular to the gains in stock and credit prices as the measure of the success of QE2 -- by implication a weaker USD is an unindicted co-conspirator in that success

5) the emphasis on the measure of Fed ease being the stock of assets owned rather than the flow -- by implication the end of QE2 would be the end of additional easing but not the beginning of tightening -- the implication for the FX market is that a backing up of asset prices at the end of QE2 would be unwelcome.

6) given the success claimed for QE2, the conclusion "we've taken our forecast down just a bit, taking into account factors like weaker construction and possibly just a bit less momentum in the economy" seems very tepid.

It is not clear how much of these comments should have been viewed as a surprise and certainly whether they merit taking the EUR and AUD among other currencies to new cyclical highs. At a minimum they reinforced the view that any shift in policy was happening slowly and is still heavily contingent on economic outcomes. From the perspective of markets there is little to discourage flows into EM and the ongoing reserves diversification needs that have steadily weakened USD with G10 as well as versus EM..

The USD moves reinforce a story that is well known and widely priced in. It is clearly the path of least resistance at the moment, but also is increasingly contingent on ongoing global growth and asset market strength. The Fed did nothing to discourage that thinking, but at a certain point the distinction between USD weakness and asset market strength may become more clear than it is now.
Picture%20%28Device%20Independent%20Bitmap%29%201.jpg

Dollar goes down stocks go up. It's not meltdown. It's a meltup.

RetroGrow

Veteran
When the dollar goes down, market goes up. Unfortunately, the dollars you make on the market are now worth less.
Sometimes you just can't win.
Makes traveling overseas very costly.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
When the dollar goes down, market goes up. Unfortunately, the dollars you make on the market are now worth less.
Sometimes you just can't win.
Makes traveling overseas very costly.

You could trade currencies. They let you leverage out the wazoo, some brokers 200:1. Or, if what your making in the market exceeds the rate of inflation. (true rate) How you find out what the true rate is, I don't know, commodities might be a good indicator.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Made some nice, quick trades this morning and was up about $1000, and waited for Fed announcement, which was inconsequential. Dow jumped up 30 points and I shorted a couple of "overbought" stocks, which started to pull back, but market exploded into the close and I got crushed. Each time my stocks pulled back, and I thought I was safe, market just melted higher on short covering. I was trapped and got crushed in the end. Down $1000. My initial plan this morning was to buy 5000-10000 shares on any dump of redf, but got sidetracked making other trades and missed the boat. Needless to say, REDF rocketed over $3 off it's low and I blew my chance to make $30,000.
I mostly play "hot money" stocks, and trade by the seat of my pants. I'll will be back to shorting the same stocks tomorrow that burned me today on the short squeeze. Market can't go up 100 points every day. World situation sure looks bleak to me. Don't know what everyone's so optimistic about.

Sure was a "melt up" for what could Uncle Ben do but placate & continue current ZIRP policy ? Its what you call a "Trend Day Up" that's usually good short scalping only just at the top of the morning rise right before the meeting ....and late on the day maybe 1/2 hr before the close . Shorting right at the EOD on select issues usually works too as the ebullience wears off the next day . Ben really looked shaky to me , they are lloking at a meltdown maybe middle of the summer into fall with no finances left to go into job creation coupled with inflation .

AMZN was on a tear today on a reverse squeeze & added early in the premrkt ( low 180's) watching shorts getting squeezed all day ...it was pausing too right at the Triple top high @ $190 with almost no pullback even as the market cooled right before the Fed . Some friends were shorting it way too early around $187 and told them to not even dream till that $191 trip top high with two upgrades & targets of $225 out in the am .

I did try a short right around $190.60 area but saw hardly a pause which was signalling the market was going higher & let $1 profit on the short evaporate .

* Did catch the news that SINA was not going to IPO the Weibo micro blog anytime soon SINA was at -3 when i caught it another 4pts down from there but also displayed steadying on dips to $125's for the cover & go long .

Even NFLX did an intraday "W" bottom at $226 just like a "W" bottoming in the general markets combined with it being very oversold 15-30minute charts ....these 2 "W" pivot lows are often where an oversold stock signals a reversal . (Unless its a total pos )

ScreenHunter_01Apr271929.gif

RetroGrow

Veteran
I got whacked shorting 3000 shares of RAX today. I usually scalp it every day, sometimes right at the open, as I did @ the open and made money, but usually, on an up day it dumps around 3 P.M. Today I went all in after Fed Announcement on this stock with a 130 PE, but several headfakes kept me in, and the ultimate melt up crushed me in the end. I was trapped and it never made it's end of day sell off. I will hit that hard tomorrow morning at the open if conditions are right, or if it ticks up, will scalp it in the afternoon, when the hedgies come back from lunch and decide which way they are going to move things over a few martinis. It was way overbought on the squeeze today, and is ripe for the picking.
I find that if i hit it with a market order to sell short 1000 shares, and then follow that with a couple more, it will take out stops and start a nice decline, usually 50 cents or more, sometimes a buck. Usually crashes @ 3 P.M.

RetroGrow

Veteran
You could trade currencies. They let you leverage out the wazoo, some brokers 200:1. Or, if what your making in the market exceeds the rate of inflation. (true rate) How you find out what the true rate is, I don't know, commodities might be a good indicator.

Hmmm....currencies not my bag. I have a hard enough time trading stocks, which I'm fairly knowledgeable about, but options and currencies, I leave to the experts. Information overload for me. :)
I was on the edge of my seat all day today, and at times I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom. The one time I did, I got killed on MCP, a very volatile stock!

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Had AMZN long from premarket at $182 seeing a squeeze was on but sold just under $187 for only 4 1/2 pts thinking would wait & short that triple top pivot area at $191 & catch a couple of points to the downside .

Put on a short right where the ball is $190.50 round 10:30 with the 5min chart very over bought & double top high on the daily chart coinciding . Could have covered for $1.50 very quickly but held & had to sit in agony another hour to pull out only 60c from the trade .

If just left the dam long trade in place from $182 could have cashed in 15 points & gone back to bed . There's two "double tops" around 1pm @ $194.50 which were very OVERBOUGHT that were shortable but who was thinking short by then ?? I knew in my heart that AMZN would prolly break up and make new highs but let it go . A nice day anyways , just left alot on the table...

If your short on a day like this , its excruciating...but often many shorts at the EOD are good ...

AMZN relentless march up all day long 17pts

ScreenHunter_02Apr271955.gif

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Today was an unusual day. The market doesn't usually power into the close without pullback, but it happened today.
And the down opening prevented me from going long in the morning.
Just a terrible day to trade for me, but when you look back at some of the moves, it makes you crazy seeing how much you could have made.

gonzo`

China will be forced to decouple from the dollar and our debt. They both are too unstable. Bill Gross from PIMCO is out of dollar denominated assets and advising others to do the same. It's like watching rats jump off the sinking ship.

When they do decide to dump our T-Bills and appreciate the Yuan the party known as the USA will be over. The time is getting close IMO. They will be fucking themselves no doubt, but we are exporting so much inflation that they are beginning to have social unrest problems like the rest of the world. They have no choice. I believe we are about to go through a process of creative monetary destruction.

Make your money while you can. Lots of money to be made in equities right now. I wouldn't hold equity positions overnight. They will evaporate one day. I'm long Silver and WWIII.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. Bill Gross did vest his flagship fund of all long term t-bills but not due to concerns of credit risk; rather because the bull market in bonds that we've had for last couple decades is over. He sold because yields are at their lowest point (price and yield is inversely related) and he believes that he got the best price. Lets face it when the economy is recovering yields tend to rise so it makes sense he got out.

Secondly, too many people have too much to loose, so I'm sceptical about the doomsday scenario of failing fiat currencies... Its not going to happen any time soon. And china.. its too small to do anything right now, they're still going to be america's bitch, because realistically, the USA is still the only market thats big enough and liquid enough for them to invest in and more importantly would you let someone who owed you 1.1 trillion dollars go bust? I think not.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lets face it when the economy is recovering yields tend to rise so it makes sense he got out.

You are working under the assumption that the economy is recovering. I'm working under the opposite assumption thus our conclusions will be completely different.