What's new

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

N

Nondual

Anyone got thoughts on the market? I have a short s&p etf going and thinking of cashing in this week or leaving it to the end of week.

Have not even thought of next week Is this a good 10% drop we got going, or a blip?

The way it has been going, you go long one week and short the next.
Yeah well with Spain's recent downgrade it will only add fuel to the recent pullback.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well the s & p was down over 2% for the week and I got some dough from my short. Question is, keep short for next week or cover. Or go long?

Any players out there that have money on the line and an opinion? Trend lines have been broken and I kinda feel there is more bad or neutral news coming soon, which will likely drive things lower. That is my hunch and I have nothing else to go on yet.

N

Nondual

Well the s & p was down over 2% for the week and I got some dough from my short. Question is, keep short for next week or cover. Or go long?

Any players out there that have money on the line and an opinion? Trend lines have been broken and I kinda feel there is more bad or neutral news coming soon, which will likely drive things lower. That is my hunch and I have nothing else to go on yet.
I don't think things have found a bottom yet and have a ways to go.

N

Nondual

I don't think things have found a bottom yet and have a ways to go.
:biggrin:

AAPL breaking $620 today and probably headed to $600 before it bottoms. Stocks getting CRUSHED! Just about anything that ran up/popped a bit in the last week or so were shorting opportunities.

QIHU hanging in there. I think it'll pop big when the markets pop a bit. Don't think it will make much headway though and will see $24 or maybe $25 tops. Getting wound up like a spring. Virtually NO selling in all this craziness. Would have been nice to see it take out $21 intraday.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WTF over? Earnings are tanking? There is less demand for goods and services despite all the free money. What is this? All this fiat currency pumping isn't keeping the real global economy from going over the cliff.

I do not understand. I do not understand Sam I am. Where are my green eggs and ham?

Bernanke must have fallen asleep at the printing press today.

More QEtc. We need more QEtc. Stat.

This Is Why, To An Economist, QE Refuses To Work
There is practical, everyday common sense... and then there is economics. Because when it comes to explaining why a square peg won't fit into a round hole, only an economist will tell you, over and over, that it will eventually happen, one must just tweak the theory a little first, and then reality will promptly follow. And while even economists have enough of a frontal lobe (and realize there is little grant money) to pursue intractable pegs and hole problems, when it comes to the theory at the heart of their beloved Keynesian voodoo religion, namely Quantitative Easing, the answer is always one, and it is very simple: we need more! Yet even economists are not naive enough to not recognize that QE has not worked in any of its 4 previous iterations (logically, as if it had there would be no need for a fifth, open-ended one). Where it gets fun is watching them come up with amusing yet convoluted, involved and outright demented explanations, some even in chart format, why QE keeps on failing. Below, we present just such a graphic explanation which only an economist could love, or care about.

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Bernanke must have fallen asleep at the printing press today.
Don't worry he'll be up in no time buzzed out on caffeine cranking out the $$$ (in sarcastic voice)

IDK, some fundamentals do look good like for housing market. Hard to tell direction. Election may have clue.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
:biggrin:

AAPL breaking $620 today and probably headed to $600 before it bottoms. Stocks getting CRUSHED! Just about anything that ran up/popped a bit in the last week or so were shorting opportunities.

QIHU hanging in there. I think it'll pop big when the markets pop a bit. Don't think it will make much headway though and will see $24 or maybe $25 tops. Getting wound up like a spring. Virtually NO selling in all this craziness. Would have been nice to see it take out $21 intraday.

I lost a bit on the week with short etf even after friday's drop. Have to be a day trader to make anything.

Call on next week, up, down or round and round?:dance013:

I have a feeling Romney will win and his growing support in polls will have a up bias for the market. They would rather have Romney than Obama and that is a fact.

Have not checked my gut for feelings on market direction yet, as the wild week just ending made me seasick.

Too late to put a short option on Apple?

Socrates

So I don't know shit about stocks but, being that this is an mj forum and all, wondering if any of y'all have any stakes in medical companies (MJNA or the like). Their products are being featured on 60 minutes this weekend, and with WA and probably CO set to legalize, it might be a good investment. or is this stupid? let me know what you think, I'm toying With the idea.

N

Nondual

Too late to put a short option on Apple?
Short term it will most likely hit $600. I wouldn't touch it at this point far as an entry. One of the issues you'll have with buying AAPL options, calls or puts, is the volatility has driven premiums WAY up.

As for the ETF thing I'm not a real fan of broad market plays. It was something like QQQ that was a good short play as it covered the tech area and that's one area that's getting hammered. Easy to say that in retrospect though. Still that's something I like to work with as it tends to move better up and down than the general market. Gets over inflated then drops badly. Options are insanely liquid with virtually no spread.

I expect a little pop soon then more pain to come. Who knows and people may throw in the towel on Monday. Things starting to get oversold yet not bottomed here. Now I'm looking at things to pop a bit then set up for another dump. This is just the first round IMO. DIA and SPY hitting their 50MAs. If any pop back up to their now down trending 10 and 20 MAs might be a nice play short. We'll see what Monday brings. I expect some day in the near future to be UGLY. Friday was not it.

Things are tanking cause of what Gramps said...earnings. People are pulling back with spending. Restaurant chains getting HAMMERED. Believe I mentioned something maybe about 2 weeks back about QE fatigue. The QE to infinity announcement helped push things up a bit for an even more drastic fall. I think from here through at least well into 2013 we're in for some rough sledding. Short term the market will be very volatile. It's recession time! I wonder when inflation is gonna really kick in? If I had some would probably be a seller after any pop on the TV coverage.

So I don't know shit about stocks but, being that this is an mj forum and all, wondering if any of y'all have any stakes in medical companies (MJNA or the like). Their products are being featured on 60 minutes this weekend, and with WA and probably CO set to legalize, it might be a good investment. or is this stupid? let me know what you think, I'm toying With the idea.
MMJ stocks are penny stocks. Technically short term the chart looks real good. Lot of old resistance at $.10 though.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
Housing where i live is definitely going again. Not sure for how much longer or what happened to all the foreclosures that were suppose to flood the market.

inventory is down the only ones not selling are real shit holes.

Maybe after the elections we will get a better view

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I got some gains from the drop in market today with a short etf. I am thinking of running off with the meager gains as they just run it up after dropping, so you are even at the end of the week.

I think Romney is gonna win and Wall Street is seeing that and will provide an up bias to the overall market here soon.

I had heard they are pricing in tax cuts from Romney being President already. Not sure of that one. Not sure if Romney wins if the gains would be priced in already, so no after election surge?

Madrus, Nondual, you have any hot option plays to try right now?

N

Nondual

Madrus, Nondual, you have any hot option plays to try right now?
The best I can tell you is go with the people that Madrus recommended. The guy that made like 77,000%. They are pros and do all the research for you then it's up to you to determine which plays to make. You can day trade options if you want or pick some of their longer term plays. I've sat in front of the screen for a few days watching, listening, reading their posts and articles and some of them are scary good. Still up to you which selection(s) to go with. They have losses yet their winners more than make up for their losers the way they do it.

Basically for me I would follow stocks then instead of playing a move with the stock go with the option instead. Now I let them do the research, review their recommendations and make my plays.

It was not looking good at the close yesterday with futures selling off. I knew the markets were in trouble when DIA and SPY dropped to their 50 MA's on volume.

As for the elections will be interesting to see how the crashing markets affect the election as the fall is not over yet IMO. Could get very ugly by the election. Leaders are crashing. The best, and safer, shorts seem gone already. Go short now and the market pops a bit then you get shaken out and then another down leg happens and you maybe miss it. Not fun. Honestly now I'm more looking at the major averages coming back to their, what would probably then be, down trending 50 MAs for a safe short entry.

SPY is about oversold here though. Look for it to come back to it's, DIA also, down trending 10 and 20 MAs for entries. At least that's how I'm looking at playing it. We'll see how things develop.

N

Nondual

Bernanke, where are my green eggs and ham?
There's a few very good traders saying the market will hit new highs by the end of the year. They're saying QE to infinity will eventually kick in inflating stock values.

Gold and silver got squashed recently.

QQQ approaching it's 200 MA. DIA and SPY broker their 50s and their 200 is quite a ways away. Was really hoping for a few day move up on weak volume.

QIHU snapped when they didn't comes to terms with GOOG on an agreement. Some say QIHU is simply a fraud. Their transparency really does suck.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think QEtc was already priced in. That's why the market didn't collapse after QE2.5 or whatever it was. The market new QEtc was coming.

QEternity won't do anything in the face of global negative marco data and earnings (the greatest lagging indicator) tanking though.

Try as he might printing money won't hide the rotten edifice below forever.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm changing Bernanke's Market Motto to.............

Where are my green eggs and spam?

20121025_ES.png

junior_grower

Well what do folks think AAPl will be doing? I have 100 shares Id like to sell but can't decide if its got room to go up or its headed down. ( I bought he shares many years ago)

Latest posts

Latest posts