What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short Path Distillation

Wow not one but two heads coming off that one. I guess it could workforce distillate if it actually held vacuum worth a dam. But no way are getting a quality extract if they are running the extraction hot and then to straight distillation with that.

"Tests have shown this process gives better yields than all other methods. In some cases, analysis of extracts made with this method has revealed compounds previously unknown to the material" - yeah because that hot solvent is just taxing the shit out of the starting material

I guess pretty pictures can sell anything.

Old Gold

They run the extraction cold, and also winterize the alcohol solution in the vessel itself, so I assume it is jacketed to be chilled.

Two condensers on one boiling flask isn't all that new. Some use both simultaneously, and some valve one off at a time. Anyone currently having success using both at the same time?

I see no reason that it wouldn't hold a deep vacuum.

It doesn't look jacketed from what I see and from the description they are either adding heat or high vacuum to vaporize the solvent so it can saturate a basket of material with solvent.

"A basket of herb is suspended above a pool of solvent with an inverted condenser above it. Heat and/or vacuum is applied to vaporize the solvent which then liquefies on the condenser and drips through the herb thus extracting it. At the same time the liquid solvent is saturating and stripping the active constituents from the herb, solvent vapors are penetrating the herb making the extraction more effective. "

Old Gold

Weird, I'm not sure what they are doing or talking about.
It appears as if some models (like in the picture I linked to) do not have the basket for reflux. You're right though, it is supposed to perform heated alcohol reflux extraction. But they also claim it winterizes, and you're again correct - that none of them appear jacketed. It looks like as much of a "winterizer" as my Ball Mason jars.

What about it is intended for winterization? The lack of cooling capability? Or the requirement for a dip tube to draw out liquids for winterization, rather than a gravity-fed filter that drains all the way?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHGBVxpjljd/
No material basket here. Maybe the lid, which is clamped on, can be replaced with one that has a basket/condenser if needed.

So modular. Next level. :peacock:

:laughing:
At this point, I second SkyHighLer's notion regarding the Thai Isomerizer / Eden labs conspiracy. Mad lolz.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I told you, the main dude at Eden had an original isomerizer, and copped it in glass. I doubt he figured it out with just Cannabis Alchemy and an Iso2.

BVV just came on board as a sponsor, thanks Adam.

:thanks:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the original Isomerizer, you've seen it?

picture.php

shannonacompton

This happened to me recently on my past two extractions. It is either from distilling many times or from too much heat for an extended period of time converting the thc into a new cannabinoid that the testing facilities don't test for. still not sure what cannabinoid it is though.

shannonacompton

it's a cannabinoid brought on by excessive heat.

it's a cannabinoid brought on by excessive heat.

Our local lab is reporting my total cannabinoid test for the last distillate I did at 60%. THC is at 49.9%. They are saying there is a spike of about 30% in the HPLC results that they have no idea what it is. It is appearing with the other cannabinoids. CBN was pretty high at 4%

Has anyone experienced this before? I have seen this in other peoples results but no one can say definitive what it is

read above post.

MEMED

The azzota mantles have a tuning feature. I cant decipher what means what. Hold the set button down till you get into it. Theres a,r,c,y settings. Im hoping someone else has some insight... I set a to o, r to 1, c, and y to 0. Seems more stable but I bet we can dial it in better...

That's great news! I self tuned my mtops PID mantle using water last night and now with a 90*c set point the temp reaches a maximum of 93*c and the stabilizes between 89-92*c until I change the set point. Still need to see how that tuning works in the 180-215 range...

The stir bar on my Azzota went out so they are sending me a new knob/potentiometer. When it get here I'll try tuning the thing.

I read an real good article that explains how to tune the PID in a simple easy to understand way.
Here it is.
http://m.controleng.com/index.php?i...117509&cHash=6c9c355a030d4eeea17351c92132fb53

Can we discuss condenser temps on the sp head? I've always had mine set at 50 and it seem to do a decent job there getting everything to flow.
But there is a super viscous fraction I'm hitting right before the THC fraction hits they we are trying to get fully separated. The problem is that with the condenser at 50 that nasty fraction doesn't flow fast enough and it ends up contaminating my THC fraction.
But if I start increasing condenser temp will it not condense the oil as efficiently?

Also is anyone using ice to cool the receiving flask/ cow. Does it need to be cold to make sure THC is not going out the vacuum pump?

Breakover

Can we discuss condenser temps on the sp head? I've always had mine set at 50 and it seem to do a decent job there getting everything to flow.
But there is a super viscous fraction I'm hitting right before the THC fraction hits they we are trying to get fully separated. The problem is that with the condenser at 50 that nasty fraction doesn't flow fast enough and it ends up contaminating my THC fraction.
But if I start increasing condenser temp will it not condense the oil as efficiently?

Also is anyone using ice to cool the receiving flask/ cow. Does it need to be cold to make sure THC is not going out the vacuum pump?

Only one way to find out...

mobin

what for? you getting lil puffs of what looks like vapor/smoke? if that's the case your vacuum is not sufficient for the temperature you're at and you might be looking at degredation/decarb.

thc needs a good bit of heat even at some pretty deep vacuum levels to vape off. I have issues sometimes getting distillate to run down into my collection flasks rather than it boiling back off.

No puffs of smoke or anything. I just remember hearing summit saying it was important to have ice in the receiving flask but he may have just been referring to the terpene collection.

I'm with you and finding it hard enough to get the THC into the collection flask without using ice.

What temp do you have your condenser set to?

mobin

No puffs of smoke or anything. I just remember hearing summit saying it was important to have ice in the receiving flask but he may have just been referring to the terpene collection.

I'm with you and finding it hard enough to get the THC into the collection flask without using ice.

What temp do you have your condenser set to?

50-60c and still get clogs every now and then.

ice def does help in removing nasty terps/volatilies while they are still present. i do think that's what he was on to.

somethingsims

Is anyone noticing that small batch-feed sizes come out lighter, more pure, or less stinky than large ones?

We notice that the slower we increase the temp as we go, the lighter it is, batch sizes ranging from -500-900 grams.

Starting the mantle at 150c and then waiting until the reagent temp comes within 30c and then raise the mantle 10 degrees c through our run. PID controllers coming in a few weeks.