What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short Path Distillation

Old Gold

Nice video http://bengaltube.com/watch/0xh5liVaWpY
can someone elaborate on how to clean glassware
thanks

Goldleaflabs said:
Try throwing some limonene in the boiling flask and distill some. It will clean your head and cow in the process. You can do it with alcohol also but it doesn't work quite as well.

A warm wash in dilute acid is a good idea. Acidic water does wonders dissolving organic matter at times. Greases can be eaten up by alkaline solutions, like a hydroxide or carbonate.

I recommend doing what Goldleaflabs suggested first. Do it with either acetone or alcohol as well (I like acetone more for cleaning). Then go with the acid wash, then maybe an alkaline wash if there is still shit stained.

Wash with distilled water between acidic and basic washes. And after.

Last edited:

montroller

Anybody using glindemann rings? I'm trying to get a solid seal on some new glass and can only pull to ~2000 microns without grease. I want to try some glindemann rings but I have never really used them so I'm not sure if I need multiple rings for each joint or not. Also how do they compare to joint sleeves?

Anybody using glindemann rings? I'm trying to get a solid seal on some new glass and can only pull to ~2000 microns without grease. I want to try some glindemann rings but I have never really used them so I'm not sure if I need multiple rings for each joint or not. Also how do they compare to joint sleeves?
I have some sitting right in front of me but I haven't got around to using them yet. From what I read using only one ring provides the best seal but is not as reliable, whereas with two you won't get quite as good of a seal but have a backup in case one doesn't seal correctly. Vacuum grease will work fine and is the cheapest but the stuff is toxic, so make sure to clean you joints before pouring out your distillate.
From what I gather they have higher vacuum ratings than the full sleeves.

MEMED

I didnt like working with the rings. They kept breaking mid run. I tried using one, and two to a joint. 14/20, and the 24/40 ones.. I use a small bit of krytox lvp currently..

MEMED

I was talking bout glindemann rings. I like the idea of trying the kalrez ones. Do the ones you linked to old gold work like the glindemann ones? I think those ones are for o-ring joints.. Im prolly confused, I havnt looked much into them, have you? How much are you sourcing them for, and where?

Old Gold

I don't know where else to get them, nor have I used anything like them, that's why I'm asking. From the picture on their website, they do look rather thick, so you may be right about it being just for gaskets.... but they do say "for 24/40 joint" so I was hoping they would fit snug between the male and female joints.

PTFE does break easily, as opposed to flexible rubbers of course. PTFE is only supposed to take 204°C, and my boiling flask has certainly been hotter than that before.

Heavyyielder

did any one ever end up pulling the trigger on one of those "Chinese" wiped film evaporators, I have found several outfitters with extremely good pricing?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 2.45.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 2.45.06 PM.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 8

oneshot

Our local lab is reporting my total cannabinoid test for the last distillate I did at 60%. THC is at 49.9%. They are saying there is a spike of about 30% in the HPLC results that they have no idea what it is. It is appearing with the other cannabinoids. CBN was pretty high at 4%

Has anyone experienced this before? I have seen this in other peoples results but no one can say definitive what it is

Last edited:

MEMED

Let me see if I can find the results somewhere... I had almost the same exact thing happen, 40%thc. I think it was an analytical mistake, or maybe because I ran that batch about a half dozen times trying to get better color. Maybe leftover wax's? I double chek my work but i dunno...

mobin

or maybe because I ran that batch about a half dozen times trying to get better color.

that'd do it right there.....mult rerun=death of thc as it releases it's bonds

Maybe leftover wax's?

if heard this a few times now.

anyone ever verify the existence of paraffins in their distillates?

i know of three plant waxes that may be in cannabis.
eicosane (C20H42) BP 366*c @760mmHg
heneicosane (C21H44)BP 100*c@760mmHg
dotriacontane (C32H66) BP 70*c@760mmHg

guess you'd have to like....look stuff up to determine if it was even possible for them to be in the collection flask.

"Jacketed Reactor"

http://www.bestvaluevacs.com/jacketed-reactors.html

Are you guys doing fractional distillation with these?

skyhigh, I don't think people are doing the FD in that vessel. That looks like the jacketed reactor genious extractor uses on their ethanol extractor. So the outer jacket on that thing will be super chilled. Then they put a tea bag of material inside the reactor and pour chilled alcohol inside and let it soak for however long then pull the tea bag out and distill off the alcohol and concentrate the alcohol/oil mixture then they would put that material into your standard short path apparatus to further distill until clear.

Old Gold

Similarly, Eden Labs happened to stumble upon THC distillation in their "Coldfinger" extractor (aka glass reactor and solvent reclaimer). It was designed to recover ethanol mostly. Now they market the funky think for cannibanoid-acids distillation, by slapping on some short path heads.