What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shooting for 135 grams again with the 135 watt led and coco

Dion

My plan is doing a hybrid, using some of dions favorite chips, the surexi, and the cree cobs realstyles uses. Should make for a nice ballanced fixtures design. Should be one hell of a bright light...

I see the point behind both concepts and want to use them together, in hopes of success with my first led build

i use cobs as well
and surexi is great for low wattage situations- cobs are more cost effective for bigger builds/ penetration

i use cobs as the main lights and surexi for veg/ around the egdes

both work but if heatsinks wernt so expensive id be using surexi and just enough cob to see the plants beautiful colours

CoCoSativas

i use cobs as well
and surexi is great for low wattage situations- cobs are more cost effective for bigger builds/ penetration

i use cobs as the main lights and surexi for veg/ around the egdes

both work but if heatsinks wernt so expensive id be using surexi and just enough cob to see the plants beautiful colours

I didnt realize you use both. Man i smoke enough to send a elephant to the moon...

Dion

lol yeah my faq write up is mostly about cobs
the tutorial is by another grower but you can see on the end i show my build with surexis and cobs

in an ideal world in 4x4 im running 12 cxb 3070s off 3 HLG-185-1400A and 4 bars of surexi f3 off 1 HLG-185-500A

id build a 4x4( a bit less to fit snug in the space) frame and put each panel across it so that the distance between them coudl be adjusted as needed with the sirexi bars on the outsides and the cob bars( 4 per bar) between

this much light id assume to be at or just over the point of deminishing returns for a space that size and consume aprox 780w at full blast and dimmable down to 50%(per spec sheet or 38% as per testing here on icmag)

this light would be the last light you woudl ever need for your garden and building it moduler like that woudl mean if/when you move you can change lay out as needed

Dion

Don't know much about the surexi. But I was thinking 6 5000k cobs an in the middle of each side I am thinking of around 3000k cobs for added red

just use 3500K they r the best( for flower)

also uv will not be needed- uv leds are stupid expensive and very low efficiency- you can get a cfl type uv lamp if you want but honestly with leds its not needed at all

i dont wanna bash the guy in public so ill just say this about realstyles desighn- its way more expensive than it needs to be

1) he drives the chips half of the recommended wattage( i mean its recomended to drive them at half or below max so that is 1400mA for the 36v models his are 72v so 700mA but he dims them down half way below this) so that means he needs twice as many chips to get the job done

2) he buys chips from china- i go no problem with this at all but if i were to spend thousands of dollars on chips i would want to buy from a authorised resseler the reason being that there is no way to tell if the chips are the binning said by the seller- especially seen as the quantity he buys/bought he could have gone with arrow and got a similar deal

anyway id suggest google his username and see his activity on other sites before getting too invested in his design-

unless you have lots of cash because his design is really efficient and his work is good- im not bashing his work at all just saying that i would not advise anyone build a light like his

CoCoSativas

just use 3500K they r the best( for flower)

also uv will not be needed- uv leds are stupid expensive and very low efficiency- you can get a cfl type uv lamp if you want but honestly with leds its not needed at all

i dont wanna bash the guy in public so ill just say this about realstyles desighn- its way more expensive than it needs to be

1) he drives the chips half of the recommended wattage( i mean its recomended to drive them at half or below max so that is 1400mA for the 36v models his are 72v so 700mA but he dims them down half way below this) so that means he needs twice as many chips to get the job done

2) he buys chips from china- i go no problem with this at all but if i were to spend thousands of dollars on chips i would want to buy from a authorised resseler the reason being that there is no way to tell if the chips are the binning said by the seller- especially seen as the quantity he buys/bought he could have gone with arrow and got a similar deal

anyway id suggest google his username and see his activity on other sites before getting too invested in his design-

unless you have lots of cash because his design is really efficient and his work is good- im not bashing his work at all just saying that i would not advise anyone build a light like his

I wonder how much crack rs sells to pay for those style lights...

Yeah i like his idea, but not so much him. My first encounter here reminded me of my first encounter with him at rollitup. It was a little different (he came to dions thread and was pretty dumb) but still his same style.

Oh nd his design is something i believe he picked up at rollitup. Should tell you the whole story

Dready_jake

Yeah, no worries, I'm in the very beginning phases still designing and planning and learning. I've started with his design because it is a basic plug and play design that I can wrap my head around.
For some reason i like the idea of 1 type of led and driver for the unit but im not fully committed to anything but the eventual build.

But

you are very right about it being an expensive design.
I was thinking i was gonna try to see if I can get the parts in a local store, but know that'll be tougher. I just prefer to go out and get it instead of wait for things to ship.lol
But this is all for the future, no parts have been purchased based on anyone's recommendations lol, yet....

I was thinking about doing his hardware but on a differently designed panal with passive cooling. Probably with something similar the spdyers panels but with cobs.

Also I was wanting to veg and flower hence the mix of spectrum. I want this to be an all-inclusive light so I don't have to buy another one again unless I wanted to expand.

Why does everyone hate the UV idea? Lol I was thinking they'd have their own driver, maybe an on /off switch, but that would be for the next lights experiments. Not this first light.

So if you have a design that's cheap and easy. Lay It on me. Keep in mind, I'm shooting for a 1000w hps replacement so the first panel needs to be at least 400-500 watts So when I build a second one I'll have at least 800-1000 watts and a 3x3-4x4 footprint, yielding over two LBs. (According to my ~1gpw average)

Last edited:

CoCoSativas

Mine will not be cheap or easy. Sorry buddy. Mine is the opposite in both directions. Will be killer though.

God we are up early for people are age. What are we thinking dj? Lol you are my only forum buddy in the same time zone.

Well time to get ready for another day of fence! This ones a shorty, just repairs, cutting back brush with a chainsaw (just got a new one yesterday!!!) and movin old boards to match new onces i replaced last time i was there

Dready_jake

Obviously cheap is a comparative term here. Shoulda used "cheaper". Lol. I did say I was trying to build a light to end all lights, but doing so on a budget.

Also I was thinking about going fly fishing. Hence the early rise. Since I'm jobless and losing my goddamn mind, I usually wake up in like 3-4 hours.. I need a schedule. Lol im going crazy without one. Legalization has flooded the market with newbs, but I'll find a home in no time.

Dion

Obviously cheap is a comparative term here. Shoulda used "cheaper". Lol. I did say I was trying to build a light to end all lights, but doing so on a budget.

Also I was thinking about going fly fishing. Hence the early rise. Since I'm jobless and losing my goddamn mind, I usually wake up in like 3-4 hours.. I need a schedule. Lol im going crazy without one. Legalization has flooded the market with newbs, but I'll find a home in no time.

in that sense i totally advocate RS desighn- it is the basic diy cob fixture as seen done by hundreds of growers

what i am saying is to use dif chips( because the chips he uses are only available in that high binning from his chinese seller...go figure no one else stocks them lol) and run them a a bit harder- aka at aprox 50w per cob like everyone does as its the sweet spot as far as efficiency vs total output

try 1 cob per 1.5 sq ft-
in a 3x3 you will use 6
in a 4x4 12

even though i like it a bit brighter thsi will give you great results
use greene genes desighn with arctic coolers($10)
cxb 3070 ab binning( $40) and the HLG-185-1400A series drivers($60 runs 4 cobs)

so about $75 per cob-extra 10 for bits holders whatever

3x3=6 cobs= 450
4x4=12 cobs=900
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=61627&pictureid=1461263

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=61627&pictureid=1461264

as i understand coco wants smth totally insane- the light im dreaming for him would be like running 2 600s in a 4x4 but only consuming 800w with fans and stuff and producing the heat of 1 600w plus dimmable down to 250w and adjustable spectrum

if he can get sinks cheap we are looking to spend no more than 1400 on this light probably less

be careful when cooling cobs passively- ill never do it agian after i cooked 2

Last edited:

Dready_jake

Whatbis the best cob website?

Whatbis the best cob website?

Is it digikey? They are kinda rare seeming. But I thought you wanted the highest bin tho?
And j would always have them at as much as efficiently possible(50-60% max whatever its supposed to be) I'd only turn it down if j built a new panel and switch this one to veg. It's my understanding he only has it low in the summer for heat reasons. Bug idk I don't have those so full blast for me.

Anyway can you recommend 2-3 cobs and where to get them. I'm really new to this genre. It would be nice to have cheaper LEDs with similar power and efficiency. I'd like to really cover the space with as many watts and cobs as possible to make a 400-800 watt light
So I'm all ears.
Also general elec lessons aren't frowned upon in here;)

Would it work with that driver, or which driver/drivers would be better to use

Also the only reason i was thinking passive was because i was thinking about doing it in bars like the spyder and yours. Bolting each bar together from the middle like that. I figured the increased airflow would be just as good. And I figured maybe multiple small bar heatsinks would be cheaper

But honestly it's far off but right now you kinda got the reins. Tell me what to do!

Dion

Is it digikey? They are kinda rare seeming. But I thought you wanted the highest bin tho?

yeah the higher bin the better( higher bin=higher lumen output) just that there is no way of knowing the chips bin by looking at it-they r tested and binned at the factory- so you have to take the sellers word for it- hence id only advise youbuy from authorised sellers
last i checked digi key had the best binning and price but mouser may have new stock now-ask me when you are ready to buy ill check then

j would always have them at as much as efficiently possible(50-60% max whatever its supposed to be) I'd only turn it down if j built a new panel and switch this one to veg. It's my understanding he only has it low in the summer for heat reasons. Bug idk I don't have those so full blast for me.

yeah you shoudl check the data sheets and cree tools

http://pct.cree.com/dt/index.html
basically 50% is max effciency
but id recomend you settle for 43% as it costs half the $ to get the same amount of light

can you recommend 2-3 cobs and where to get them. I'm really new to this genre. It would be nice to have cheaper LEDs with similar power and efficiency. I'd like to really cover the space with as many watts and cobs as possible to make a 400-800 watt light
So I'm all ears.
Also general elec lessons aren't frowned upon in here;)

Would it work with that driver, or which driver/drivers would be better to use

Also the only reason i was thinking passive was because i was thinking about doing it in bars like the spyder and yours. Bolting each bar together from the middle like that. I figured the increased airflow would be just as good. And I figured maybe multiple small bar heatsinks would be cheaper

But honestly it's far off but right now you kinda got the reins. Tell me what to do!

not cheaper to do passive cooling did you click the links to teh photos i uploaded?

anyway chips cxb3070
http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...0N0HAB30G/CXB3070-0000-000N0HAB30G-ND/5124979

driver
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=10001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

you can run 3 or 4 of those chips on that driver its dimmble( u can get the driver from other sites but it costs about the same )

Dready_jake

Sorry I missed those. But that's very similar to what I have planned. How do I build that frame tho? I'm thinking very similar, but a complete heat sink across each set of cobs. The picture you showed would probably be cheaper for each heatsink and fan comparatively?

Anyway the definitive, written down numbers are:
12 cxb3070 3000k
3hlg185c1400a

I kinda like that design plus I could probably more easily fond them locally if I wanted?

Thanks again guys, especially you Dion!

CoCoSativas

in that sense i totally advocate RS desighn- it is the basic diy cob fixture as seen done by hundreds of growers

what i am saying is to use dif chips( because the chips he uses are only available in that high binning from his chinese seller...go figure no one else stocks them lol) and run them a a bit harder- aka at aprox 50w per cob like everyone does as its the sweet spot as far as efficiency vs total output

try 1 cob per 1.5 sq ft-
in a 3x3 you will use 6
in a 4x4 12

even though i like it a bit brighter thsi will give you great results
use greene genes desighn with arctic coolers($10)
cxb 3070 ab binning( $40) and the HLG-185-1400A series drivers($60 runs 4 cobs)

so about $75 per cob-extra 10 for bits holders whatever

3x3=6 cobs= 450
4x4=12 cobs=900
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=61627&pictureid=1461263

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=61627&pictureid=1461264

as i understand coco wants smth totally insane- the light im dreaming for him would be like running 2 600s in a 4x4 but only consuming 800w with fans and stuff and producing the heat of 1 600w plus dimmable down to 250w and adjustable spectrum

if he can get sinks cheap we are looking to spend no more than 1400 on this light probably less

be careful when cooling cobs passively- ill never do it agian after i cooked 2

If i am going to go led its going to be nuts. Im looking to increase production from hps, and see it as very possible with enough light and spread. The cobs + surexi chips makes the most sense to me.

I was going to spend alot of money buying off of growers house. Turns out for the same money i can make a fixture that will probably fuck anything outthere! It would be the big boss and every other light would be its prison bitch! Haha im kidding, its night before canada day, soooo its time to drink.

Fell off a 6' retaining wall today with a chainsaw in my hand. Lucky me. That was from where i grabbed a fenceboard that was on a fence at the top of the retainer. Lucky i tossed the chainsaw in my backward fall.

Im pretty fucked up that fall really hurt me. Thank god i pitched that chainsaw tho, could have fucking killed me.

Last edited:

Dready_jake

Ya all in all my light will draw about 600 watts not including the fan/fans.
It will cost as of my latest count without bits and pieces like paste:
$460 for 12 cobs
$24 for cob holders
$210 for drivers
Plus heatsinks, fans, wires
My estimate is $800-$900 for a TRUE 600+ watt light that I put together myself. (Aka a 1200 watt spyder, or anything else lol)

I'm so excited about it. I was about to spend $800-$850 on a htg 810 waTt light because I was afraid if the giant task of a diy build of an led light. That woulda been ~450-550 true watts of a slightly lessor spectrum.

So this will be my "1k-killer" lol. If I can still get a gram per watt,(idk I might a forgot how lol jk)
Then that will be at least 500-600 grams. Over a pound!

Which is the minimum a good grower would get out of a1k HPS. So 1ks, killed! Lol

Plus I love diy projects. Just check out my new Rez! This project is better tho.

If i am going to go led its going to be nuts. Im looking to increase production from hps, and see it as very possible with enough light and spread. The cobs + surexi chips makes the most sense to me.

I was going to spend alot of money buying off of growers house. Turns out for the same money i can make a fixture that will probably fuck anything outthere! It would be the big boss and every other light would be its prison bitch! Haha im kidding, its night before canada day, soooo its time to drink.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61898&pictureid=1461746&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Fell off a 6' retaining wall today with a chainsaw in my hand. Lucky me. That was from where i grabbed a fenceboard that was on a fence at the top of the retainer. Lucky i tossed the chainsaw in my backward fall.

Im pretty fucked up that fall really hurt me. Thank god i pitched that chainsaw tho, could have fucking killed me.

Careful, clear finger print there.

CoCoSativas

Jesus maybe i better take it down, crop it and readd it to my album.

Ridiculous yes, but so are theose freaks that protect and serve themselves.

CoCoSativas

Crazy. I glove up for most pics anyway. You should too coco

I took that gross ass pic down. Yeah fuck like i need to get pinched from that... Bonus is its off your thread buddy.

Yeah you are right dj. I should glove up more than maybe any member of this site, with the tattoos and whatever. My hands are pretty easy to identify.

Problem is i hate gloves and rarely wear them. Even when handling boards full of nails, jackhammered concrete pieces... You cant cut my hands with a dull knife... Though falling with my weight on them or grabbing hard enough can tear them up sometimes. I wash my hands thoroughly before handling cannabis plants, flkwers, or concentrates. I breath enough bullshit in...

Latest posts

Latest posts