What's new

Shiva Grows

shiva82

it is worthwhile suffering any way . it allows you to experience pit falls, and differences . my favourite hydro media was' green mix' basically shredded and cleaned rockwool that you could fill pots with. they made it illegal i think, possibly due to inhalation of the fibres . works the same as rockwool, only more versatile , or not more, but offers different options .

goingrey

the clay pebbles you actually pre soak lower . 5.2 if my memory is correct. and if not primed you will have all these ph fluctuations. feed at 5.6- 5.8 . a drift up to 6.2 is fine . clay pebbles are notorious for it . there is a thread with in depth details of the composition of the hydroton clay pebbles and why it needs pre buffering with quite a low p.h
Yep soaked them in 5.2 water beforehand. A couple of hours.. maybe not long enough :dunno:

shiva82

Yep soaked them in 5.2 water beforehand. A couple of hours.. maybe not long enough :dunno:
i think at least 24 hours. most people soak at 5.4 - 5.5 . so maybe stick to 5.4 next time and soak for 48 hours to make sure . they will equalise though as you use the system and keep doing res changes . pain in arse. but live and learn. best way to develop anyway. i do it all the time. go balls deep and make mistakes when attempting new techniques

goingrey

whats wrong with hand watering in coco ? semi hydro run to waste with no loss
Nothing wrong with it. I do that, too. Got the Nepal Mists in coco hand watered.

Good part is that it can handle a power outage or pump failure without issues. Some guy here was designing a gravity fed active hydro system, now that would be awesome. Forget his name buy he was growing all kinds of mutant strains.

shiva82

Nothing wrong with it. I do that, too. Got the Nepal Mists in coco hand watered.

Good part is that it can handle a power outage or pump failure without issues. Some guy here was designing a gravity fed active hydro system, now that would be awesome. Forget his name buy he was growing all kinds of mutant strains.
experimenting under no pressure . i do it . some growers just grow to make profit so they would think you are crazy , but i do the same . i like to fuck around, learn on the job , have experience of failure , and experiment

shiva82

ok i know where i got the 5.2 from. it is more the lazy way, with some compensation for slight rise after a shorter soak. do 2 x soaks. both for 24 hours @ 5.4 ph , and that should prime them enough for you. they will hold and take some the elements too. so maybe even pre prime them with food at correct ph after the soak

goingrey

ok i know where i got the 5.2 from. it is more the lazy way, with some compensation for slight rise after a shorter soak. do 2 x soaks. both for 24 hours @ 5.4 ph , and that should prime them enough for you. they will hold and take some the elements too. so maybe even pre prime them with food at correct ph after the soak
I'll just keep checking and adjust the pH as needed. Next time will do a much longer soak though. If I remember hehe.

shiva82

last time i grew in hydroton. it was 20 years ago in a flood and drain system with channels. very nice set up , on a stand . no grow tents back then, we had a plastic greenhouse set up inside an old garage area . not the best set up. in fact it was terrible but we had a nice flood and drain table and we were growin hempstar that time. which was nice back then. not heard of it much before or after i grew it

shiva82

nl5 x ohaze it used to be in the 90s , stock goes, parents lost. they fem remaining best stock, that goes . the end .

i felt it was good ganja 20 years ago

goingrey

Probably something like that yeah. No shortage of NL/Haze hybrids on the market though, maybe not the biggest loss in that regard.

shiva82

today is day of the asparagus. i have a nice location but the existing soil is no good. i may have to build a large mound of a more appropriate soil .

within the four corners of the farm exists everything we need to grow any plant, but no single spot is ideal for any plant lol ... and digging aint easy