What's new

She said no, I was like....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbonez

Veteran
Buncha my old head Hippie ass mad scientist growbro`s order their dry nutes from "Hydro-Gardens.Com" based outta Colorado , and supply most all outdoor Corporate greenhouse hydroponic setups including Walt Disney World......

Just another option if other shit`s too expensive cuz yas can get assloads of their shit on the cheap , butchas gotta by bulk quantity so that might be the deciding factor on getting it or buyin less more expensive nutes.......anyways.......

Just tryin ta help.......Freds......:ying:.....

VERY good to know.... thx homie

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Hydro Gardens put a big piece of tape on their shipping boxes that says Hydro Gardens all over it. Keep that in mind if you order from them.

D

DHF

Hydro Gardens put a big piece of tape on their shipping boxes that says Hydro Gardens all over it. Keep that in mind if you order from them.
This is true.......and.....

There can be no indications when ordering by phone that it`s in any way affiliated with growin dope.....but......

My guys in medville don`t give a shit about labels cuz they`re licensed caregivers , buy that shit by the barrel , and swear by mixing the perfect blends for veg and bloom along with the additives needed for cents on the dollar.....anyways.......

As said above........Just tryin to provide options........

Peace.....Freds.......:ying:......

Homebrewer

Veteran
I don't know that going to these extremes is necessary as plant food really isn't expensive and it really isn't difficult to find something that works really well. I use a highly concentrated liquid plant food base with some silica from start to finish, we're talking milliliters per gallon, and it's a noticeable cost savings over any plant food that I've ever used.

I'm sure my preferred local hydro shop who special orders the stuff for me thinks I buy it elsewhere these days but the truth is it just lasts and lasts and lasts, and I run hydro tables too. :2cents:

DrFever

Veteran
I don't know that going to these extremes is necessary as plant food really isn't expensive and it really isn't difficult to find something that works really well. I use a highly concentrated liquid plant food base with some silica from start to finish, we're talking milliliters per gallon, and it's a noticeable cost savings over any plant food that I've ever used.

I'm sure my preferred local hydro shop who special orders the stuff for me thinks I buy it elsewhere these days but the truth is it just lasts and lasts and lasts, and I run hydro tables too. :2cents:
Yup I here you on that thinking about it i have had same food now for like 2 years almost and just getting below the 1/4 mark on 4 liter bottles things i do go through more is cal mag as i buy them in 1 liter bottles and superBmax
12 plants 5 - 10 liters in veg per plant and 10 - 15 liters a week feeding per plant full bloom cycle

but like DHF mentioned pages back people using triple 20 or triple 19 which i use for for outdoor same stuff for feeding corn fields works awesome sprinkle every week around plant and let rain take care of everything else lol
might have to get some of my triple 19 and do it from start to finish for a grow

hempyftw

I don't know....

I don't know....

The nice thing about making your own nutrients, is you get to design the profile though. This may be a bad idea for some, but if your ocd like jbonz, it could lead to some very happy plants!

I've looked into making my own a couple times over the years. Fatman had an awesome thread about it somewhere. I've been through way to many grow sites to remember where. - google fatman nutrients, should come up for ya.

An as a side benefit, you will learn so much about the plant and it's needs. Not to mention you'll likely pay like .001 a gallon of nutes.

I haven't taken the leap yet, but I likely will at some time. Hope you do first so I can watch hehe.

Homebrewer

Veteran
The nice thing about making your own nutrients, is you get to design the profile though. This may be a bad idea for some, but if your ocd like jbonz, it could lead to some very happy plants!

I've looked into making my own a couple times over the years. Fatman had an awesome thread about it somewhere. I've been through way to many grow sites to remember where. - google fatman nutrients, should come up for ya.

An as a side benefit, you will learn so much about the plant and it's needs. Not to mention you'll likely pay like .001 a gallon of nutes.

I haven't taken the leap yet, but I likely will at some time. Hope you do first so I can watch hehe.

Other than fatman's recipes, where does one start? Are these DIY fert guys taking tissue samples to find out what their plants are actually taking in or is it just based on 'looks'? Is everyone starting out with a 1-1-1 and 'tweaking' from there? I'd be interested to know the process that people have gone though and am ultimately interested in the final results.

I think the biggest thing growers struggle with is not the ratios of the salts, but the dosages they're giving to their plants.

hempyftw

Hmmm

Hmmm

Well it's all going to be based on looks for the less scientific of us. However looks alone can tell a seasoned gardener a lot.

I know over the years I've grown the same strain with the same nutes, and I have been able to adjust the N-P-K to make the deficiencies stop appearing. This was all based on looks alone, see a cal mag def, add more micro.

It doesn't need to be based on looks though. Water testing kits are readily available that will give you different levels of different salts. Most of them are similar to a ph water drop test. Some of them involve acid/base reactions to measure precipitates and such. These tests can show you relatively how the N-P-K ratio has changed. This mixed with a good ppm/ph meter and daily rez cheks that get recorded in a log will also benefit. You'll want to compare how much of the ppm's get absorbed by the plant, and try to maximize this by having the proper N-P-K for growth cycle. In the end for real measurable results in increased performance, I would suggest we focus mainly on weight of final product. Some of the other things such as taste, color, potency, smell, etc... these measures can be too subjective.

Even if there is no increase in weight, and everything else is the same, I still call it a win! I would no longer be paying someone a bunch of money to mix up a simple nute mix. I would be able to get my nutes in bulk for very cheap!

I don't remember what the comparison was, but I think you could pay about 1/100th and make the same mix as some of the popular companies.

Most people start by emulating their favorite nute company's products. The post I talked about compares GH nutes I believe. Shows you how to make a lucas formula concentrate. If you look around hard enough, you can find a general remake of most common companies. But you can just as easily mix it anyway you please :)

Food for thought

Jbonez

Veteran
Homebrewer, I think Mel franks recommendations should be a baseline, rather than 1-1-1..

We can read our plants as well, feeding just enough to prevent def's from popping in and then we know EXACTLY what she likes...

Im aquiring everything needed to create a one part veg/bloom formula that can be tweaked by the nutrient, not all at the same time in regards to proportions..

D

DHF

Less is more guaranteed.....but......Knowin when enough is enough takes runs under yer belt and the ability to tweak each individual strain/hybrid/variety`s nutrient requirements and environmental needs as the seasons change on a yearly basis....as stated above....It`s not so much what yas feed em , but how much of it.....some take increased ppm`s better , but most don`t as a rule..so.....when things get dialed......then it`s.....

Simple....Babyshit......GH served me well.......Ya`ll handle this.......Go look @ H-G.com and if yas like what yas see .....get a safe addy ta have shit shipped to.....

I`m tellin yas....for custom blending.......you`ll not find a much better place to start the journey with and cheap...........anyways.....

Just tryin ta help.......My dos centavos from all them yrs......

Peace.....Freds.....:ying:.....

DrFever

Veteran
Homebrewer, I think Mel franks recommendations should be a baseline, rather than 1-1-1..

We can read our plants as well, feeding just enough to prevent def's from popping in and then we know EXACTLY what she likes...

Im aquiring everything needed to create a one part veg/bloom formula that can be tweaked by the nutrient, not all at the same time in regards to proportions..

Yo Jb the concept i am sure was thought of by many nute companies , the problem is plants uptake more or less of one type of nutrient at certain stages of its growth now there are all purpose nutrient on shelfs now giving all the nutes but the problem is some where along the plants life cycle, a def / or burn will occur its a guarantee.
I used to make my own nutes and every so often make some for my plants. like the tea's mentioned in other threads now i can guess pretty much what my NPK value is Again its a guess just like how yours will turn out unless you spend 1000's of dollars on actual testing .
but at the end you still need to go by ppm level for plants stage

Get a 20 liter pail fill half full of luke warm water 1/4 cup of sugar place all table scraps in it carrot peels , lettuce, potato peels even egg shells , fruits etc, blend the hell out of it every few days add some more water in less then a week you can strain it
and you will have 5 gallon of over 2000 ppm of nutrients 1 cup of this to 5 cups of water and you got some good plant food only to add little more bloom boosters in late bloom
FOR FREE :biggrin:

Jbonez

Veteran
The formula Im working involve different proportions that would augment only certain nutrients, allowing for perfect dialage of the genetics..

Im starting to realize that P is a rare def, mainly because we are feeding them too much on average.. Mg is also unnecessarily overdone as well...

Its about finding the perfect balance to kep the gals happy.. Right now 5/5/7/5 with agsil is proving to best any formula Ive used to date..

I did the organics thing, It went great, except I have far more control with fert salt derivatives and the taste imo is tied more to genetics than anything... I kill with pre98 as far as taste goes and I dont use any organics or additives, only base nutrients the plants can use.. Im even getting away from brewing microbial, chlorine is a better alternative after some research..

Homebrewer

Veteran

I think Mel's numbers are wack personally as tissue analysis data doesn't support any of his ratios.

hempyftw

The formula Im working involve different proportions that would augment only certain nutrients, allowing for perfect dialage of the genetics..

Im starting to realize that P is a rare def, mainly because we are feeding them too much on average.. Mg is also unnecessarily overdone as well...

Its about finding the perfect balance to kep the gals happy.. Right now 5/5/7/5 with agsil is proving to best any formula Ive used to date..

I did the organics thing, It went great, except I have far more control with fert salt derivatives and the taste imo is tied more to genetics than anything... I kill with pre98 as far as taste goes and I dont use any organics or additives, only base nutrients the plants can use.. Im even getting away from brewing microbial, chlorine is a better alternative after some research..

It's really hard to know where to start. We are growing a plant that has very limited scientific research done on it.

A lot of people think that MJ is such a special plant, and they think they can disregard other horticulture practices. I think it's silly to shrug away all the information out there that has been tested and proven in labs. The "best" tested npk for some similar plants (Green peppers or chiles are 3:1:3, fodder is 3:1:3, spinach is 3:1:4, herbs are 2:1:1.5 while tomatoes are 4:1:5 and very high in calcium)

These all suggest just as jbonz pointed out, we usually use to much P. Kind of cool you came to that conclusion on your own J. Luckily I haven't had to mess around with different ratios for different plant demands. All one strain round here for over 4 years lol. It will be handy to be able to add whatever nutrient is needed, in small increments, without adding something else. I would almost make my stock 1 part solutions somewhat weak in anticipating adding other nutrients for each strain- just a thought.

No one else commented about it- but you can test the relative amount of different salts remaining in your water, relatively cheaply. If you don't want to play home chemist with the water drops, you could send a small sample in to be tested. This will allow you to know exactly what has been absorbed by the plants, given you know the starting points. I guess it would be much easier to use a hydro/aero rig so you could just test the rez.

I have preached chlorine ever since I came out of hiding on this site. Probably 10 of my posts so far I have told people to use it. Works wonders in stopping root rot and other bacteria from taking hold. Made a world of difference in my aero setups. Only thing I don't like about it, it seems to dissipate quickly, I add back daily now.

Homebrewer- Where is this tissue analysis data? I would like to read it.

Jbonez

Veteran
Any bubba kush lovers here?

picture.php

D

DHF

Any bubba kush lovers here?

View Image
No.....aight.........Yeah.....and yas know this ......but.....

Purple petioles scream Cal/mag deficiency with most strains , but it`s not a given until proven due to strain related bullshit so......

All about dialage and knowin howta make yer bitches hoon and produce.......that said........

I know all things will come to pass in this thread and move forward toward dialage cuz it`s real with knowledge and experience leadin the way..........

Handle it my buddy......Freds......:ying:.......

Jbonez

Veteran
Part is the strain(katsu), and part is me experimenting with flushing super early lol...

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
I have preached chlorine ever since I came out of hiding on this site. Probably 10 of my posts so far I have told people to use it. Works wonders in stopping root rot and other bacteria from taking hold. Made a world of difference in my aero setups. Only thing I don't like about it, it seems to dissipate quickly, I add back daily now.
That's why many municipalities now add chloramine (chlorine/ammonia solution), it doesn't have the dissipation problem that chlorine has: Information about Chloramine in Drinking Water:

What is chloramine?

Chloramine is a disinfectant used to treat drinking water. It is formed by mixing chlorine with ammonia. Although it is a weaker disinfectant than chlorine, it is more stable and extends disinfectant benefits throughout a water utility's distribution system (a system of pipes water is delivered to homes through). Some water systems use chloramine as a secondary disinfectant to maintain a disinfectant residual throughout the distribution system so that drinking water remains safe as it travels from the treatment facility to the customer. Chloramine has been used by water systems for almost 90 years, and its use is closely regulated.

Is chloraminated water safe to use?

Chloraminated water that meets the EPA standard is safe for drinking and other general household activities such as bathing, cooking, laundry, and cleaning. The water can also be used for gardening (the water is safe for plants) and for watering lawns with no adverse effects.

Guess the key to using it is in small amounts, as both chlorine and chloramine are not recommended for dialysis, aquariums, hydroponic applications and homebrewing beer. My Spectrapure RO system boasts how well it removes chlorine and chloramine from tap water with it's activated carbon filters. Some also use HG's Roots Excelurator to help recover from root rot in DWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts