What's new

She said no, I was like....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbonez

Veteran
Im honestly seeing the benefits of using it in veg.. Ive got more uniform growth throughout the plant compared to what ive seen in the past, and not to mention the amount of bud. Ill know more when they swell, but Ive already stripped the next round of plants that are about 1.5ft tall in veg, gonna let em fill out a bit more and throw em in bloom..

N

noyd666

Because leafs are the energy factories. When you take leafs from the top of the canopy your getting light down to lower nodes. Why would you want to remove an energy factory if it was out of the way, doing nothing but pumping juice.

If you take all your leafs off I promise it will stunt the plant, doing it as I explained will cause no visible stunting but promote all the positive branching of a serious pillaging.

Yes you do need leafs, strongly apical dominant plants will have the greatest concentration of hormones in nodes receiving the most intense light, these plants benefit the most from defoliation of upper fan leafs.

The plant diverts energy to new leaf production afte pruning because it needs leafs, which is why I say leave the ones on the bottom as long as you can.

When "defoliating" or what I call plucking fans, you shape from the top' but yes when I prune I clean up the weak lower nodes.
:biggrin: i agree most i do is pretty much the same, ok.:)

N

noyd666

:biggrin: hi dave no mate i take it with a grain of salt lol, was following allthat lot with interest, all good:biggrin: learn something out of everything, and how is your grow going?:tiphat:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
:biggrin: hi, why would i leave leaves on her bottom lol?:tiphat:

I leave a couple of regular old fan leaves down towards the bottom because if there is a deficiency or something to pop up they usually show up at the bottom first. I feel like you would see it earlier like this, before it had time to progress to more important parts of the plant. This probably wouldn't apply to somebody who is monocropping or only have two or three flavors going. I seem to have one of everything and they all have different nutrient needs.

N

noyd666

yes your right there, im looking at one of my young plants and its the bottom leaf thats telling the story.

Jbonez

Veteran
yes your right there, im looking at one of my young plants and its the bottom leaf thats telling the story.

Usually older growth reflects problems that are just beginning.. Ongoing or otherwise severe issues will usually show in new growth. The old growth acts as a reserve until not even that can compensate, then the new growth will be effected..

This could all be complete bullshit, just an observation from over the years...

Edit: See post below for accurate information..

TheArchitect

Veteran
Partially correct,

Mobile nutrients will show deficiencies in old growth first, as it will move the nutrients to the new growth.
nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P), and potassium (K).**Manganese and sulfur are moderately mobile

Immobile nutrients will show deficiencies in the new growth first.
Iron (Fe), Calcium (Ca), Manganese (Mn), Zinc (Zn), Copper (Cu), and Boron (B).*

Jbonez

Veteran
Partially correct,

Mobile nutrients will show deficiencies in old growth first, as it will move the nutrients to the new growth.
nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P), and potassium (K).**Manganese and sulfur are moderately mobile

Immobile nutrients will show deficiencies in the new growth first.
Iron (Fe), Calcium (Ca), Manganese (Mn), Zinc (Zn), Copper (Cu), and Boron (B).*

GREAT post bro..

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Thank your architect for putting it more scientifically. I guess it can be summed up as macro nutrients versus micronutrients with macro (NPK) being mobile. :yes:

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Goddamn is their ANYTHING the Architect doesn't know.....man you strike me as someone who has forgotten more about plant biology than I ever learned....which is minimal, thanks for sharing!

unspoken

That's why I usually don't cut the bottom leaves. I do some defol up top. Mobile nute probs show up, but I also feel like they serve a purpose, so leaving them when they aren't blocking bud sites is a no brainer. I do have two fans. One blowing on the canopy/between the canopy and lights, and another smaller fan blowing into the bottom. I cut all suckers from the bottom, just leave the leaves.

Mister_D

Veteran
Nutrient problems are easily addressed, so I don't understand why you would leave leaf at the bottom unless you are anticipating a problem. If that's the case wouldn't be easier to correct said problem before it effects your leaves? Just not following some of you guy's logic?

TheArchitect

Veteran
Yes easily addressed,

But only when identified.

Leaving leafs on the bottom leads to earlier diagnosis of mobile nutrient problems, amongst other things.

unspoken

Well my main reason for leaving them would be that they aren't in the way of anything, so why remove them in the first place? Seems logical to me. To prevent nasties from growing below the canopy? To me that happens because you don't have adequate air flow. The indicator part is more of an added bonus to me. And yeah, like architect said, easily addressed once identified.

Also, I should probably mention I am not a vert grower.

Jbonez

Veteran
Ok, so I got two months veg time to play with my plants, and I gotta say, based on what I am seeing with chemd and how well the defoliating has created such uniform growth, I decided to continue with my veg plants.. Turns out instead of topping, you can decide which grow tips you want to divert energy to. For example, in this pic, I did top a few to get the shape I want, but basically I want a wall of bud, so to do this, Im gonna stretch 3-4 stalks per plant, then take all the leaves from the top when they are the right height, and let the bottom fill in nice, then Ill flip em and watch em stack...

Im sold on this, just that it requires more veg time..

picture.php

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Awesome! I am glad to see others do this. I do this to all my plants in veg, with cramped quarters you have to lol... This is a must for vert scrog for sure!
I have about 60 teens that still need some veg time. I will be shaping them on a 4x4 table for the next couple of weeks when the flower room is empty. I am really excited to do this to my Chem's Sisters, should have enough for two donuts. I may even veg them in the flower room for a couple of more weeks, while training them into screens. I want 60" finished carpets of flowers.
As I am finishing the build phase, I need to be focusing on floor to ceiling usage of space. It may be vegging for a couple of weeks in the flower room will literally double my yield. 60" finished vs 30" should be a no brainer. I would need to come up with about 4 more 600w ballasts and bulbs, but this harvest should cover it. And that would solve my low temp issues... Having a hard time keeping it above 60, which I know is killing my bottom line.
Anyways, sorry for the wall of text. Just taking a break from another 12-16 hour day, and there are a lot of sharp minds in here, plus our visions are very similar I feel. Not to mention I just puffed on some Fresno outs that could pass for ins... damn

Status
Not open for further replies.