What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shaggy's Guide to Hormones used in Cannabis

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did finish the plants.
They are very resinous and very strong smelling, sweet by the way, not surprising.
I will try smoking them soon, but as a non-pot smoker, I am only doing for science.
They are almost dry and did set some seed that I made by turning the top of the male clone to female and using the pollen from the bottom male flowers to pollinate the "female" flowers. The seeds should be 25% YY super male if I am lucky. If I breed with these to a normal XX female all the seed produced should be XY, male.

So I did smoke a few bongs of the female flowers from the transformed male, sweet, great taste and smell, great potency, typical Skunk #1. I also ground up the rest and made one bong of resin, total FMCD, but not quite as good as my best female Skunk#1 resin.
This method can be used both for judging what smells and tastes are passed on by males as well as the type of high and strength.

If I did it again I would do it as early as I can in the growing season, I would not spray any of the leaves just the sexual parts or where they will be. I would also spray once a week for at least 5 weeks maybe more for late flowering varieties. And I would use pollen from a different variety male to make the seeds instead of selfing with the same plant. But as I have said I am not sure if there is any reason to do this, other then I can. As for using the technique for judging the males contribution to a cross, this works easy, although, the flowers produced were wimpy, they were well frosted and the smells were all there, as well as type of high and strength. I hope people use this to help breed better plants and to help people reach their goals all that much faster.

All I judged is the smell taste and the strength of the high, it was not fair to judge other traits with transformed males to female.

Stress testing for intersex:
Photoperiod disorders. Light leaks.
Photoperiod shock from 20 hours light to 8 and back up to 20.
Lumins disorders, too high or too low of lumins.
Too Hot or Cold.
Too Wet or Dry, air or soil.
Nutrients out of wack, to much or to little.
Pruning shock, plant or roots.
Transplant shock.
Insect shock.
Disease shock.

Male clones transformed to Female to judge male smoking qualities

Use Ethrel (ethephon 480 g as/L) it breaks down to Ethylene
1 ml per liter of water, sprayed 3 times, first time first day of flowering, second a week later, third a week later. Try not to spray all the leaves as it will kill them, just spray the areas where sexual traits will form.

Do not spray any of the leaves just the sexual parts or where they will be formed. I would also spray once a week for at least 5 weeks maybe more for late flowering varieties. As for using the technique for judging the males contribution to a cross, this works easy, although, the flowers produced were small and wimpy, they were well frosted and the smells were all there, as well as type of high and strength.
It can be used, and with careful use you don't have to spray and burn the leaves, just spray where sexual organs will form.

Use Ethrel (ethephon 480 g as/L) it breaks down to Ethylene
1 ml per liter of water,
1 ml per liter of water, sprayed 3 times, first time first day of flowering, second a week later, third a week later. Try not to spray all the leaves as it will kill them, just spray the areas where sexual traits will show.
Here is the male plant at just over 3 weeks flowering. It first started to make male flowers then they turned mostly female, over 90%.
It can be used, and with careful use you don't have to spray and burn the leaves, just spray where sexual organs will form.
I would also spray once a week for at least 5 weeks maybe more for late flowering varieties. As for using the technique for judging the males contribution to a cross, this works easy, although, the flowers produced were small and wimpy, they were well frosted and the smells were all there, as well as type of high and strength.

Interesting post about Ethrel. There is a product on the market called Terpinator, and from the description of the results of using it, I am betting it is Ethephon.

Have you tried using it later in flowering than the third week as described above?

Thanks!:thank you:

raven44

Interesting post

I'm hoping this has info on amounts of cytokins amd auxins used in micro prop of cannabis. I'll be looking forward to reading through this all

Thanks for the info

shaggyballs

Veteran
yes but dose dependent. more is not better.

apply to roots for root growth

foliar on top for increased vigor.

at high doses (500-1000ppm) you get stacked internodes, but thats a negative side effect IAA brings resulting in the stack.

IAA is also light sensitive.

I just sprayed a test plant in veg with 50 ppm IAA freshly made and 1-2 hours later curling leaves and some burning.
Could it just be the light was too intense? They are T8's and I raised it but maybe not enough....hmmm
Not gonna post a pic, we all know a fried plant when we see one, she may live but not happily.
So 500 to 1000 pm would totally nuke the girls, I think no survivors.
I dare anyone to spray 1000 ppm on a healthy test plant, the pic for before and after, the after will be taken on the compost pile.

Nobody is trying any of the hormones anymore?
I know I have not contributed much from my own brain but i am going to try in the future.
Would be cool for more to get involved maybe we can learn something together.

Peace all
Shag

mrrangz

I just sprayed a test plant in veg with 50 ppm IAA freshly made and 1-2 hours later curling leaves and some burning.
Could it just be the light was too intense? They are T8's and I raised it but maybe not enough....hmmm
Not gonna post a pic, wel all know a fried plant when we see one, she may live but not happily.
So 500 to 1000 pm would totally nuke the girls, I think no survivors.
I dare anyone to spray 1000 ppm on a healthy test plant, the pic for before and after, the after will be taken on the compost pile.

Nobody is trying any of the hormones anymore?
I know I have not contributed much from my own brain but i am going to try in the future.
Would be cool for more to get involved maybe we can learn something together.

Peace all
Shag

yes curling will occur with high doses. Even display bleached leaves, and or heat stress symptoms (crispy leaves). At high doses like this, IAA will destroy old growth and cause new growth with close inter nodes.

Might Display :

Slow Root Growth

Slow Plant Growth

It does this effect by injury. Plant recovers and this trick is useful for stretchers. 1000 is not necessarily needed. The plant allready produces IAA by itself. Takes 15 days for recovery

Just find a dose (lower it) to compliment it.

mrrangz

at 40-100 ppm. you should notice plant crowning (all branches are competing for Apical Dominance) + thicker stems. Root growth minimal but some 6-bap should let the roots grow wild.

edit : Plants will still display fried plant on foliar.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Interesting post about Ethrel. There is a product on the market called Terpinator, and from the description of the results of using it, I am betting it is Ethephon.

Have you tried using it later in flowering than the third week as described above?

Thanks!:thank you:

I use Florel at 15 ml/l, which is about 1.5 EC. I use yucca extract as a sticker/spreader. With ladies, it is sprayed once at flip to prevent herms and as needed if any nanners are spotted.

To herm males, I apply weekly starting a week before flip for 4 weeks or so. I just spray the stems up to the nodes and there is no foliar damage.

Terpinator is snake oil because they don't tell us what's in it. My guess is limonene, myrcene, isoprene, and maybe some potassium sulfate.

shaggyballs

Veteran
So after some time I now see that mrrangz has been a good source of information on hormones in the real world.

I would like to say thank you to him for that.
He has been a better guide than anyone else here has been when it come to hormones.
That said no one else here has really helped.

OO has helped me with other things but does not advocate the use of hormones therfore he did not help much on this topic.
I would still like to say thank you to him for all the help he has given me.
Thanks OO!

So lets fire up this topic again, shall we?

mrrangz

So after some time I now see that mrrangz has been a good source of information on hormones in the real world.

I would like to say thank you to him for that.
He has been a better guide than anyone else here has been when it come to hormones.
That said no one else here has really helped.

OO has help me with other things but does not advocate the use of hormones therfore he did not help much on this topic.
I would still like to say thank you to him for all the help he has given me.
Thanks OO!

So lets fire up this topic again, shall we?

Your welcome.

JimMuscles

I would be extra careful with the Gib. I havnt really seen anyone get good results with it. It causes massive stretch. I thought I was travelling the safe road with triacontanol just before flowering, but it really sent my plants into crazy mode. I must have put too much. Here I am over a month later and they've stretched like a gymnast but I have hardly any bud! Sucks...

Im really wary of messing with hormones now. What I want to try next is using etaphon and prohexadione calcium and see how many days I can cut off flowering time.

Whatever you do, do it in the name of science lol and only do it to one plant. Dont an idiot like me.

I like libertarianism too. Government is so fucked up right now.

Easy7

Veteran
I heard of estrogen having an effect on cannabis and an effect of cannabis influencing mammal horomones. Perhaps female urine would be alright but not too much. I'd stick to the plant horomones such as kelp contents.