What's new

SeñorSloth's Perpetual Wardrobe of Dankness

señorsloth

Veteran
I may have missed it...but I don't think I read you mentioning anything about the increased heat in your cab with the MH as opposed to the HPS.

i had read that they run a few degrees hotter...but i think with good ventilation it wouldn't equate to 3-4 degrees hotter...maybe a degree hotter...but then again i don't really pay attention to my temps...as long as i keep the room my cab is in between 60 and 70, temps usually stay around 70 to 80...and i really don't see a difference in quality unless fairly well over 85-90 degrees, at these temps i see less flavor but basically no difference besides that, at 90-105(this summer blew! lol AC broke) the buds ripen slower, end up looser, lankier, and fairly flavorless...

so all in all i haven't noticed any difference in temp at all, it would surely be more noticeable with less ventilation...im running 190 cfm through a 36 cubic foot cab...i could probably get away with half that air flow but for applications like this it comes in handy to have a wind tunnel going through your hood...

ive noticed what you notice about clones as well, but i couldn't imagine getting roots that big! lol what i consider big roots on a clone is like what is on the package of rapid rooters, they only stick out about an inch, but there are like 3 dozen of them sticking out, as apposed to my old method of throwing them into flowering when i could see just one tiny root poking out...noticing this was probably by far the biggest thing i have done for my yeild...because of which i am planning on learning all about roots this weekend, and those micortizeah dudes...if i can come up with a few tips and tricks to get faster root growth, one would think it would lead to the highest yield gains possible with tight sog...i am constantly throwing money at this cab, and it's a little sad to think that just leaving my clones in their chamber for 2 extra days i get better yeild increases than all the money i've spent pimping my cab...

Ohh man, I hate broccoli ! I personally consider it a useless vegetable

lol! i love the stuff personally, i like to eat it raw dipped in ranch lol...but my personal strain of broccoli will go back to looking dank as soon as i take pics without the hid on.lol

señorsloth

Veteran
hey guys, i'm wondering if anybody here can help me, ive been reading up all day on beneficial bacteria and mychortizae or whatever, and i think i am more confused than ever...some say with hydro ferts in soil you don't have a micro herd because the high salt content kills them off. i have seen several other people claiming that even using tap water will kill them off. then there is this dude that makes his own beneficial bacteria mix, apparently he says it's fine to use chemical fertilizers and beneficial bacteria together, and he apparently grows 42 pound cabbage heads and shit...

on top of that there seems to be a disagreement as to whether you even need a micro herd when you use chemical ferts, because they come pre cheleted, and that is normally what a micro herd does, it apparently chellets organic stuff so that the roots can eat it...but other people say even though they aren't needed to chelet the chemical nutrients, they extend the reach of the roots by like a third...

if i can use this stuff effectively with chemical nutrients i will probably buy my rapid rooters early, inoculate the crap out of them, and inoculate the soil of the bed, right after harvest, so that it will have a month to grow out, before i put clones in, i suppose the most of the benefits will be seen in the first 3 weeks, when my clones are still stretching and making roots, since my main goal here is just to get more profuse rooting starting from cloning...

so what do you guys think? who has it right?! my shop sells this orca and great white stuff that i would use, but im not going to spend the money if it wont do anything, shits expensive as hell...

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Any kind of good bacteria are useful on soil grows, especially when you use organic nutrients which can not be assimilated directly by the plants. Those bacteria take the composting process a step further by decomposing the organic components found in soil.

When using chemical (non-organic) nutrients, if the grow occurs in soil, you can use bacteria because they will feed with organic leftovers available on soil. When the organic matter will vanish and the bacteria will also die.

señorsloth

Veteran
When using chemical (non-organic) nutrients, if the grow occurs in soil, you can use bacteria because they will feed with organic leftovers available on soil. When the organic matter will vanish and the bacteria will also die.

i thought they ate some sorta molasses that you put in the soil? and the salts and chlorines wont kill them? is there some kinda definitive resource about this that i can't find? lol i just keep finding snippets here and there...

señorsloth

Veteran
well i just went and inspected my buds, i seem to have a LOT more popcorn buds than last round...and it could be my imagination but it also seems that the tops are less dense, more foxtaily...it's too soon to be the new light, and i'm assuming it's because this is the first round at this density that i didn't defoliate...they still have 15 days till harvest and could be just fine by then...it's hard to say really, they do fatten up a ton by then, and i'm committed to bringing this bed full term without ANY defoliation, because i have to know, at least for myself, if defoliating hurts yields, and if not defoliating hurts quality...as it stands it seems as though at best not defoliating will give me like 5% more yield per plant, but about 10% of the crop will be popcorn...it that holds true then i guess to me id prefer to defoliate, and sacrifice 5% of the harvest so that i have zero popcorn buds...i guess if i end up with a buncha popcorn it wont matter, there is a mini weed drought around here...my last quap went for 1,450...people in cali would probably shit themselves if they could get those prices...

anyways im at the point in my tolerance break where im getting really clear headed, so my mind is working fast, but i still have absolutely no motivation or drive to do anything, that takes a few days more in my experience...it's the worst part, because i want to do something so bad, but at the same time im too lazy to even watch tv...i just feel super restless...but trapped in a body that doesn't want to move...i spent the entire day watching season one of "Wilfred" on netflix while simultaneously spending 10 hours straight, reading about Afghanistan and the pure indica hashplants and the history of the whole region and the history of hash making in general, it's sooooo interesting all the stuff out there...from the pictures ive been seeing they make some incredible looking pure golden kief, only they do it by shaking pounds and pounds of powdered buds in an ordinary piece of muslin cloth! pictures of the fields there are amazing, so much variation...some are purple single cola plants some are branchy, some have huge wide leaves, others are very skinny...

i guess this is because back in the day they were very strict about their breeding, wild sativa's grew all over the area, but didn't make very much hash so the farmers would actively keep them out of the indica gene pools as much as they could, but when soviets invaded the fields and genetics were taken care of less well, and more and more of the wild sativa's started mixing in with the pure indica genetics...i guess pure afghani seeds came over in the 70's in weed and hash, and that was the first time we had genetics in the usa that could finish fully before winter...apparently these indica's were bred in china from sativas hundreds of years ago, then carried over to Afghanistan, which can get really cold and requires fast flowering strains with tons of triches to make the most and the best hash...indica's would be perfect for this and as far as i can tell, hash is all they smoke there...i suppose if you had fields of the stuff you wouldn't waste your time with flowers either...here is a cool vid of a field of affies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0clx6VZ5CwI

also here is a cool page about how hash is made in bulk over in Afghanistan and morocco... http://nimbinwave.com/facts/afghanistan-hashish

anyways i guess im just trying to get really really well read up on pure affies for when my maple leaf indica arrives, sometime next week by the look of the tracking info...im gonna get them germinating the moment they arrive...im also starting on a few more projects, i want to make a new cab, and also a micro cab, lit with 75-90w led, haven't decided the full plan yet, but id like to have a very small cab to flower out one plant at a time, but 12 week stuff...just for personal, i have access to several nice cuts, but none of them will work in my 8 week cab...spent a decent part of the day brainstorming over graph paper, my new cab will be the same size as this one but a million times better.

well i watered my ladies, both beds, and pulled them out, and flipped them both around, which takes like 20 full minutes...because i only have like a quarter inch of clearance to get the beds out the door, i have to lower them to the bottom of the cab, by taking out one block at a time, then pull the beds out, then rotate, put them back in, and then slowly raise them back into position by levering them up, and adding a block at a time...mainly cause the edges of the doors are sharp and the beds are heavy, if i try to lift them myself it cuts my arm up...I've already solved this for the new cab...it wont have a vertical separator like my current cab, just one big door, it will be hinged so i can just open half to work on my plants, or open it totally, to move my beds in and out with ease...

also when i had the beds out i unscrewed the glass from my reflector, and washed it, i ended up taking a razor blade to the weed facing side of the glass, it had so much charas stuck too it, it was like the cover to my scale...i'll save it and give it a try when im done with my weed fast, i only got about a onie out of it, and it was stuck to the light for months so it's probably no good but who knows eh? because of that stuff i had to wash that side with alcohol, then Windex...but it should help pump photons a tiny bit deeper into the canopy...

well here are the pics, 15 days left on the left side...don't know how old the right side is...gotta check back in my notes and mark it down...i haven't yet and the longer i wait the harder it will be to figure that out...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

señorsloth

Veteran
well not much to report...i had a difficult time figuring out when i planted my clones...but after a lot of digging i think i planted them on the 14th, making the right side only a week old and the left side 6 weeks old...i was a little worried that i somehow fell a week behind but im sure it has to do with the 31 day months and my 28 day cycle, plus i was a few days late last round because i decided to let them root for 12 days instead of 9...but thanks to these long months it will still be ready on the 9th of January, which is my usual harvest day each month...

once i realized that i freaked out a little, because i also realized it's only 14 days till harvest and ive been ignoring the crap out of the only mother plant i have left! i mean ive been taking care of it...but bonsai moms like to try to put out literally 100 branches or so, and only about 30-40 make it more than a few inches, because having so many tops stunts the growth, the plant tries to spread it's limited potential for growth among 3 times as many tops as it should, and therefore only grows at a 3rd the normal rate...well i went in and hacked off around 60 little teeny branches, so that the remaining 40 would speed up growth(they always do!)...unfortunately i only have 2 more days till i should be cloning, and after cutting off all the little stunted branches the mom is likely to stop growing for those 2 days, while it recovers...so i may end up waiting a few more additional days, and planting the next round a few days late...worse things have happened... what i should have done, and what i normally do, is 2 weeks after i strip them for clones i come back and make sure it doesn't make too many new tops, i'll cut about half of them off while they are still small so the other half has a chance to recover and speed up growth, giving me fatter, healthier clones, last round they were a little scrawny and pk deficient...makes the stems red, spindly and woody...which means they don't grow as fast as clones with nice soft green stems...

anyways i found a few side by side pics, to show the difference between last round on this day (42) and this round...the most significant difference between the two is the first batch was defoliated and the second was not...what do you guys think? do they look about the same? the undefoliated looks like it may be a bit fatter, but i'm not sure if it is...the tops are definitely pointier than the undefoliated...they stick up like an inch taller over the leaf canopy...

picture.php

picture.php

señorsloth

Veteran
so i was looking at my trichs today and wow...i wasn't sure i could believe my eyes...for me this c99 has always been very white, but almost never does it creep out onto the leaves much, so not much hash for mr sloth...i end up with about 7 grams of sugar leaves, and the fan leaves have basically no trichs at all...they just seem soooooo much whiter the last 2-3 days, whiter than usual, by a noticeable amount, when i looked at the buds they look whiter, and i was convinced it was just that metal halide light brings out the shine more, until i realized im getting trichomes creeping halfway out my fan leaves! they have NEVER done that before, wether i used a lot of nutes or a little, close to the light or far, cold warm or hot, defoliated or undefoliated...it's something totally new for this girl...and frankly the only think that could possibly be causing it is my metal halide light! i guess all that uv light and blue spectrum is really making them pump out sugar like never before...since it's really the only variable that's never been tested by me...i am forced to admit that this metal halide deal might be the best change ive made to my grow since switching off of maxibloom...

looking at the buds with my 30x jewelers loup, it seemed as though on parts the stalks were getting longer than usual and more capitates were forming underneath! they have 2 weeks longer to go and if those new capitates become stalked capitates...well i could be looking at a level of frost i've never seen before in person...except maybe my aliendog pheno of chemdog ibl...but that plant tasted like garlic, dirty dish water, and rotten meat, it was not a good taste at all...

anyways the real proof i think is in the pictures, because i can compare buds from last harvest, to the ones i took yesterday, and physically see the triches moving up the fan leaves. the kicker here that makes it objective is that both pictures were taken with the lamp off and just the camera flash in the dark, so there can't be any lighting tricks, it's not the mh making the girl look frostier, she IS frostier...and still has 2 weeks to go...and this is when the real frosting should be happening normally, at week 6 the calyxes begin to swell, making more room for more frost, and that's usually when i see it...so i am really excited for the next few weeks...METAL HALIDE FOR FLOWER RULES!

anyway here is a bud right before my last harvest under a hortilux eye hps bulb
picture.php

and here is a bud from yesterday, under sunmaster warm deluxe metal halide...see how much frostier the leaves are?
picture.php

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
fok yeah senor...i can see a huge difference between the two picks

that's the difference between experience and simply making assumptions and believing what others say/write

:tiphat:

señorsloth

Veteran
thanks! lol although i have found one small variable, that is likely contributing a little to the added frost for 6 weeks budding...that is that because i didn't defoliate at all they are ripening a little faster than usual...i've always known that defoliation makes flowering take longer, never more than a week or so, but i'm already at around 5 percent amber...by 7 weeks i'll be at 15-20 percent amber if it follows it's normal ripening pace...meaning if i pick it at week 8 it will probably be further along than ive ever really taken them...as ive never really gone full cycle without trimming at least a few fan leaves...well the first round with c99 i didn't defoliate at all but that was almost a year ago and i wasn't doing perpetual, my plants were spaced out more and i was picking a pheno i liked, so i didn't want to alter them till i got to know them and chose my favorite...but the first round always takes a week longer, it was actually only like 5% at 8 weeks if i remember correctly...

anyways my point is the triches are ripening a little faster than usual, although the buds themselves are right on schedule...lol there is actually a higher ratio of amber to cloudy triches then there is red hairs to white...but in 11-13 days they should be 90 percent red hairs and 30% amber trichomes...

im thinking if this pace keeps up i may pick at day 54 instead of 56...but im not gonna pick early unless im worried about going past 30% amber...sorta a limit i like to stay around...i guess i prefer 25-30% amber best...but i can't go past 56 days so i usually end up harvesting around 20%...

DrFever

Veteran
thanks! lol although i have found one small variable, that is likely contributing a little to the added frost for 6 weeks budding...that is that because i didn't defoliate at all they are ripening a little faster than usual...i've always known that defoliation makes flowering take longer, never more than a week or so, but i'm already at around 5 percent amber...by 7 weeks i'll be at 15-20 percent amber if it follows it's normal ripening pace...meaning if i pick it at week 8 it will probably be further along than ive ever really taken them...as ive never really gone full cycle without trimming at least a few fan leaves...well the first round with c99 i didn't defoliate at all but that was almost a year ago and i wasn't doing perpetual, my plants were spaced out more and i was picking a pheno i liked, so i didn't want to alter them till i got to know them and chose my favorite...but the first round always takes a week longer, it was actually only like 5% at 8 weeks if i remember correctly...

anyways my point is the triches are ripening a little faster than usual, although the buds themselves are right on schedule...lol there is actually a higher ratio of amber to cloudy triches then there is red hairs to white...but in 11-13 days they should be 90 percent red hairs and 30% amber trichomes...

im thinking if this pace keeps up i may pick at day 54 instead of 56...but im not gonna pick early unless im worried about going past 30% amber...sorta a limit i like to stay around...i guess i prefer 25-30% amber best...but i can't go past 56 days so i usually end up harvesting around 20%...
you will probably notice better yields as well from no defoilating make sure you let us know how your weights go dried compared to previous grows
can i ask i see one side is ahead of the other what size box is the side thats further along in flower dimensions

señorsloth

Veteran
can i ask i see one side is ahead of the other what size box is the side thats further along in flower dimensions
thats how perpetual grows work, one side is harvested each month, so the left bed is always 4 weeks ahead of the right bed. both beds are about 15 by 22 inches...the cab is overall about 30 by 22 inches, because i shortened the length of it to get higher watts per foot and denser buds about a year ago...i'm running about 100 watts per foot, and about 18 plants per foot...even 100w per foot isn't enough to penetrate this canopy though...and i'm not really noticing better yield, i'm noticing a lot more fluff at the bottom, that would have been firmer buds if i had defoliated...

i made the decision today that i'm going to go back to defoliating because this experiment basically proved that defoliating doesn't really hurt yeilds, because i'm going to yeild about the same per plant as last round, when i did defoliate, but im ending up with more fluffy buds from about halfway down the plants...which is unacceptable to me, i run such a high wattage per foot grow because i can't stand popcorn...defoliation will maybe get you 5% less bud, and they might not mature quite as fast, but if you do it right you will get 100% quality saleable buds, instead of 1/3 of the total weight being fluffy buds that just aren't up to snuff...

i am really hoping they dense up but as each day passes im realizing it probably wont...the first 3 weeks i was only doing it to prove defoliating works...about then i changed my mind and was certain i was getting huge buds now, and was ready to swear off defoliation for life, but for the past week im realizing that the tops do look bigger, but everything below the tops is not as dense as it would be had i defoliated.

you can bet i'll be reporting my results, otherwise, what was the point of doing it? lol at this point it's looking like i'll be reporting that everything i've read and written about the benefits of defoliation in the past was 100% true, and while may not be a way to increase yields, it is a good way to increase quality through plumper buds on the lower half of the plant...

odds are im going to do a sorta half defoliation, take 10% off each week, (that amounts to one leaf per plant for me) so that at the end they only have 2 or 3 fans left out of 10-12...maybe i'll even go a bit lighter than that, as the big fan leaves, while for the most part useless indoors(they must be if you can cut them all off without hurting yields!), the stress of taking them off slows maturation, it can also stunt them a little bit so i use it as a way to keep my canopy even, when clones are stretching, the biggest ones get defoliated faster than the small ones(because they have more leaves), within a week or two of stem pinching and defoliating they are all for the most part within an inch of each other...by doing a defoliation, but not a super heavy one, and doing it gradually over 2 months, i can maximize the benefits of defoliating, namely plumper bottom buds, while at the same time not slowing down maturation to much...and as any sea of green grower knows, top yields come from the most even canopy possible, and defoliation is one more trick in my bag to keep that canopy perfect...so nothing is getting stunted from lack of light...they only get stunted from not having enough roots when i transplant them...but i'm getting better at that.

my next strain is maple leaf indica, the leaves on this strain are like dinner plates, so i'll likely be doing a much heavier defoliation on them, also the buds are much leafier on maple leaf indica, so taking the fans off will likely have even less impact than it does on my super high bud to leaf ratio c99

DrFever

Veteran
thats how perpetual grows work, one side is harvested each month, so the left bed is always 4 weeks ahead of the right bed

Cool 15 x 22 yea i know how perpetual works used to do them but in much larger scale 150 plants 2 weeks apart :thank you:

señorsloth

Veteran
ya i don't remember screen names for shit, lol i probably should have known that...this tolerance break is messing with my head big time...

anyways i've got 48 clones to take, so i'll be back with a few pics in a bit, and later tonight i'll get some pics of the ladies...lights don't turn on for 7 hours...

well boys, epic cloning fail on my part...usually after cloning i give the mom 2 weeks to recover, but she makes 4 times to many branches so i have to thin them down to about 50, so that they grow fast enough...this time i didn't do that till about 3 days ago, so i had about 100-150 growth tips, all growing way too slow and woody...i cut it down but i didn't have enough time for the remaining shoots to catch up, 2 days instead of 2 weeks, so i was only able to get like 26 decent clones, although i figure i was gonna kill the mom in a few weeks anyways because i have 4 new ones coming up, and once the maple leafs start getting bigger I'll go down to just one c99 mom...anyways, the plan is I'm gonna plant the mom in the bed with the clones and flower her out, I'm going to need to bury her stems pretty deep so she doesn't over grow the canopy but i should be able to get a decent amount from her...she will be a lot more lush when she goes into flowering in 2 weeks...

although on the other hand i also got a little overzealous with my last round, i ended up with so many c99 clones i decided i didn't need the skunk mom anymore and killed her to death...dumb skunk bitch...now i probably could have used her but i think this will work fine as a backup plan.

here is the mom beforehand...
picture.php

picture.php

and here is the mom after...she got raped...
picture.php

it's been almost a year since I've dropped the ball on my clones, it's the most important part, i used to let my moms fall apart between harvests...and it would take a month to nurse them back, and 2 weeks to clone...back then i wasn't doing a perpetual so id end up with a month or two between harvest and start of the next round...i should know better, but that's life...

señorsloth

Veteran
ug, well my tolerance break is taking it's toll, or maybe it was quitting cigs cold turkey at the same time...i finally hit a wall and my crackhead like energy is fading, and i'm starting to get super tired before bed now...

so i'll spare you a ton of writing...here are the ladies, right side is at 11 days old, left side is day 45 i think...they are ripening a lot faster, triches are really up there, and shits actually starting to plump up down below...i am waffling back and forth every day if defoliation is worth it or not...at this point i've decided no more premature judging, i will know when they are dry and that's good enough for me...

my tracking info says my maple leaf indica's are crossing the pond now...very excited for that...come harvest im buying a few big jars of sugar leaf from a grower i know that doesn't smoke hash...i'll be making a big huge batch this weekend with another friend's outdoor sugar leaf, he has gallons it...all from my clones...then i'm making a huge batch for myself next weekend with the leaf from this harvest and the jars of leaf im buying...ill try to get pics of both...should be a lot of fun, though my tolerance should hopefully be too low to smoke it by then, as ive been sober well over a week and still have over a week to go...around 3 weeks total, should get my tolerance to a manageable level eh?

well here they are, making bigger fox tails than ever before and already at 5-10% amber at 45 days...i'm picking at 30%, since that will likely happen before the customary 56 days and i don't want them to get too overripe...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

señorsloth

Veteran
and some more: one thing i have noticed is that the autofocus seems to want to ignore the buds and focus on the leaves, i take 20-30 pics, and only 5-10 are in focus, but the leaves always seem to be...think i would get better shots taking the auto focus off and just figuring out what distance works best? im obviously not a photographer, im just winging it, i don't even look at the pics, i just point the red eye reduction light at a bud and click away till im bored...

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Very nice looking plants you have going. The more pictures I see the more keep thinking that I need to get some C99 seeds.

-Funk

señorsloth

Veteran
ya it's definitely a holy grail plant, how many strains are this frosted at day 45?! lol not many, even less sativa's...and the potency is there in spades...with a sweet Tahitian treat fruit punch smell and taste...not pot flavored at all!

DrFever

Veteran
looking good senor
There is probably quite a few strains that show there frost early , anyways i figured i do a test on my own planted 72 clones in a tote under 1k 1 day veg more or less get used to the power and flip 12/12 :) C02

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
It's more easy to focus on green (and especially on flat surfaces - like leaves). The buds are filled with thrics which act as small prisms or lenses, confusing the eye and the camera also.

To have pictures focused on buds just try to focus on a leaf in the same plan as the bud and then gently move the camera and center on the bud (without focusing). It's much easy if you use a tripod and manual focus option.

Man, those buds dontt have anything in common with broccoli anymore - they have transformed into pineapples ! Yummy ! :D

Latest posts

Latest posts