What's new

Seeking Critique on Vert Colosseum SOG concept.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Anti, I meant that a screen would allow you to train the upper level to grow downwards (closer to the light, allowing both levels to get equal lighting).

If memory serves your lower level is/was far outpacing your top level.

Might make a thread on it if I'm not as lazy as I usually am.

Please do. Or feel free to unload the idea here. This is a critique thread to make this system everything it can be.

TommyTwoColas alluded to bending/curving the very top of your plants and I think that would be a great idea. We all know the benefits of a bare bulb here, but there is a benefit to a parabolic reflector if it has a hole in it :) 4 sticks and 4 to 8 pieces of string ought to make that easy enough.

I didn't quote your whole post, but I want you to know I appreciate your input immensely. Thank you.

Are you guys suggesting that I train my top tier foliage into an arched dome with the lights dropped lower?

Make some kind of screen that hangs above the top tier and then tie the plants so that plants on either side of the table are coming together in the middle? like "/\"?

How about another update? lol jk :p

See post above :)

looks perfect to me :D

I hope you're right!

D

DHF

It makes me proud ta hear bout your obsession for findin the "sweet spot" TTC cuz that`s what it`ll about in a nutshell.....

Dialin your strain/variety/hybrid so yas can squeeze every last gram out them bitches ftw....

Knowin when ta pull the trigger so each plant doesn`t suffer any more sideways hackin than absolutely necessary so as ta not fuck with em till after stretch is completely over.....and...

A...I think what`s bein said bout netting and or trainin nugs through a screen to create a more uniform sideways canopy for the best possible lumen penetration/absorption in your lil micro setup`s a possibility to be determined after runnin these new and improved bitches with the basket stakes and coco upgrades and see where yields end up....and then...

If yas feel like the canopy`s sufferin from not enough even coverage plant to light ratio in late bloomage , then try a screen/net type thingy but put said nets behind the plants like Marlo did with his small setup cuz anything between the lights and the plants will cause shadows and lumenloss even as small as it may seem , and I`ll tell yas why....

The first time I ran my angled racks , I didn`t anticipate my Chem D`s bein such floppy limp dick , noodle stemmed bitches that all but fell over from their own weight the first run but made it with the help of bamboo stakes and plant ties....then.....

I thought about horizontal SOG runs usin the horti-trellis , so I ordered some and it was easy as shit to hang while drapin the main colas of each plant gently across it for max support till end of cycle and I used the shit till the day I shutdown cuz it`s some fucked up shit ta haveta tie up 512 plants at 4 locations compared to drapin some horti-trellis and walk the fuck away.....it ain`t rocket science and the yield loss was minimal compared to the ease of use ftw.....but....

The first run that I used bamboo stakes and plant ties on 8 different rooms yielded more than the rooms with horti-tellis in EXACTLY the same environment so the only factor that had changed was the horti trellis and I knew it hadta be lumenloss ......thus my findings and suggestion for puttin nettings and or screens behind the plants ftw if needed........

GF`s callin my old ass ta breakfast so ya`ll handle it.....and A....It does get scary when things`re hoonin and yo bitches is jumpin out the pot till swellage sets in when yas head towards dialage....and...

The girls are lookin good this round cuz they`re gettin mo attention with juice and environment.....

All about runs under yer belt....then....

Shit`s easy peasy set it and ferget it....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:....

Last edited:

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
I'm a little afraid I waited too long to flip and I'm going to overgrow the chamber!

If this is the case, you could do 'bad things' like fuck with your environment to slow things down. I strongly disagree with this, as you've done good work to get your humidity up and it directly effect plant transpiration/nute uptake etc.

I'd rather see you use the potential stunting effects of pruning/defoliation/training to stall their stretch.

Again, this is a time when you can take a few plants and play with them, so that you know how to handle this situation again should it ever arise.

There are worse things in the world than a healthy canopy.

Like a goddamn heard of possums in your attic.

Chewing on shit.

How the fuck did they get there?

And how the fuck are you going to get them out?

Now that, good people, is a worse than a healthy canopy.

D

DHF

You fuckin kill me IF....Breakfast can wait...Bring me nuther cup of coffee and Bubba bongs....and...

Possums in da attic require drastic measures but...IF`s got a good idea A as in fuckin with a couple plants during stretch ta see where they end up compared to the rest that`re left alone for future runs to benefit from....or not....anyways...

Possum stew comes ta mind IF.....MMMMM......Roadkill......Backta breakfast..and then....

Gone Fishin....Freds...:ying:.....

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
They ain't possum's... they's weird lookin' cats!

mini-P6300011.jpg

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I got a couple of shots from the left side of the table. (I took the mini wall down and stuck my arm in there. No way I could actually fit back there!)

So... what the hell... a little update. Why not?

12/12 DAY 3

(Just so you can sorta see both tiers at once.)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
J

jonnybgood29

actually looking perfect anti, just do some agressive defoliation for the next couple of weeks, and you should do great!

benjuanman

Veteran
This round is looking great Anti!! Can't contribute much but appreciate all the info you and others have posted. Heaps of great stuff throughout. Definately looks better then last round at the same time so you should kill it bro.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
haha shit is gonna get crazy in here!

i'm having visions of the 42 or whatever 18" budsicles you're gonna have in a couple months and it is GOOD! :D

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
As of this particular second, I'm calling an overgrown system.

Not because you fucked up, but because you did it too good.

I am not suggesting that you ought to be me, because that is not a good recommendation for anyone.

But right now, I'd be gradually defoliating, maybe a shade or three per plant per day to slow this bitch down. You've got yourself some monsters on your hands... and they're about to go mad...

Whatever the fuck 'hoonin' is, is about to get very real.

I'd be plucking individual leaves slowly, and pulling main leads away from the light...

Stretchwith healthy plants--and your girls look healthy--with enough RH can be surprising. Anticipate it.

D

DHF

LMFAO....IF ...again the voice of reason and yeah "hoonin" is when that "circadian rythym" is happenin where the plants suck juice and transpire/sweat it out in as close to perfect a environment with proper watts per sq ft ftw....and see ?....

Prowler`s shot of last run @ 1 week from pullin the trigger compared ta this run @ 3 days is as different as daylight and dark and yeah.....Hindsight`s ALWAYS 20/20 so what have we learned today ?.....

Flip sooner next run so as ta NOT haveta hack and stunt the bitches during stretch ta let em be all they can be but....looks like as IF said yas might oughta start gettin rid of stuff that blocks budsites once they start spittin pistils at least , but you`re really gonna cry when stratch is finally over and yas haveta hack out all the side growth to keep em from chokin each other out till end of cycle.....so....

Dialage comes at a cost but them girls are happy this time Bro and things are looking fortuitous for this and many runs ta come....Handle it...and Jonnybgood...no offense but...

Agressive defoliation would shut these lil bitches down and that`s not a good thingy , but as IF said it`s lookin kinda tight in there but not sure I`d do anything more than tryin ta keep the sideways growth from growin into each other till stretch COMPLETELY stops and swellage sets in....then...

You know the drill....everything that ain`t sugar leaves juttin directly out the colas gotta go....and then...

The race is on to swellville come Harvey and I`m waitin on 65-1 oz donkey dicks some of these days on future runs when strain , feed sequence , and environment`s dialed with the watts per sq ft already in place.....

Handle it A....Freds...:ying:....

in this case would it be beneficial to not necessarily trim the girls so much as remove some of the ones that dont stretch and fill in as much and have fewer plants that may be bigger than just budscicles?

Or would doing that possibly sacrifice too much in the way of yield?

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
So here we are, one week from the last update. It's been one week of 12/12. We should see the beginnings of bud development by next week's pictures. (I deliberately put all of the shortest plants in the center of the top tier in the area between the two lights.)

View Image
^^^ Wide Angle, Whole Room ^^^

View Image
^^^ A View Down Below Between the Lights ^^^

These new plants definitely seem to be taking off. But in comparing these photos from the last grow with this present one, we should keep in mind that because of the treepots, the older plants started out about five inches taller in regards to the table itself.

edit; So we have new photos at day three after flip, and old photos from a week after flip. In the old photos, the growing tops of the lower tier are about four or five inches below the soil surface of the second tier. In the new photos the growing tops of the lower level seem maybe two inches below the top tier's soil surface.

Last edited: