What's new

Seeking Critique on Vert Colosseum SOG concept.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
DHF:
Flip and see......The only true wayta learn your strain...Keep a record of their age at flip and know what`s happenin from now on....
ANTI:
But I flipped. So I guess I'm gonna have to let that stuff stick around until the stretch ends.
Anti, I vaguely recall you posting with regard to your less-than-secure financial status earlier in this thread. If I'm not mistaken in this, I understand your concern with regard to not fucking up a harvest.

But here are some other things I may not be mistaken with:

1. You are not going to stop growing.
2. You are committed to this strain.

I propose that more you focus on learning what works with this genetic, the sooner you will be able to benefit from your education.

I have seen strains that stall after a defoliation for 10 days.

I have seen strains that stall from a topping for 10 days.

I have seen strains that have canopies that are thicker three days after a defoliation.

I have seen strains that have a new dominant lead within a week of topping without any hesitation whatsoever.

You have fifty something copies of a genetic you are not letting go of, and are DHFishly committed to monocropping.

So:
1. Designate a quadrant to follow your instincts. EDIT: Do whatever you think might be the right thing.
2. Dedicate a few plants in a corner on the upper shelf to leave the fuck alone. EDIT: Is the AK smarter than you?
3. Don't touch a few until you feel stretch is over (25 days post the flip, right?). EDIT: Does this work with the AK?
4. Continue to daily remove fan leaves through stretch if they block a bud/growth site. EDIT: I really only meant in a trial section (like 10 plants in an area), so you could see if this is a strain that stunts or thrives under this kind of training.
5. Leave all leaves on, and remove all secondary growth through strech that might not create a budscicle. EDIT: In my mind, I was presenting this as an alternative to number 5--again to learn your AK even better...

Of course, they'll move the thread out of the vert section into the side-by-side section and you'll never find your friends again, but you'll have learned a fuck-ton. And when you need a plant to behave in a particular way to fill in a gap, or you've got a full run of clones or whatever life throws your way, you'll be ready to handle it.

You've got enough material to have a meaningful learning experience here... that will pay off monstrously as soon as the next run.

Last edited:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
1. Designate a quadrant to follow your instincts.
2. Dedicate a few plants in a corner on the upper shelf to leave the fuck alone.
3. Don't touch a few until you feel stretch is over (25 days post the flip, right?).
4. Continue to daily remove fan leaves through stretch if they block a bud/growth site.
5. Leave all leaves on, and remove all secondary growth through strech that might not create a budscicle.

I did a bit of this the first round.... but fed SOOO much less often, I don't know how trustworthy any of that information is.

I'm still digesting your post so I don't have much of a response at the moment. But thanks for putting the time in to lay it out there.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
I'm digesting lunch.

I paid more attention to eating that I did to typing... so I don't get too carried away...

You appear to be pretty meticulous with your record keeping... this should be easy for you. And more fun then just waiting around for the next 64 days.

It might make you feel important. And that boost in self image might translate into something bigger and better outside of the grow. Someone might even give you candy or a free beer.

The very possibility of free beer makes it necessary that you follow this course of action.

Necessary.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran

FIRST DAY OF 12/12

picture.php

^^^ Whole Cab ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Bottom Tier Overview (Right) ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Bottom Tier Overview (Left) ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Bic Lighter For Scale ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Top Tier Left ^^^

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Oh... forgot to mention. The rH is hovering in the 60% range with lights on and up to 79% with lights off.

Can't seem to get much higher than 60%, but that's a damn sight higher than 43%.

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Looking good anti. the rh thing is probably one of the only things holding me back right now. each side of my room is about 5 weeks apart, so I cant even keep it that high for the stretch.

things are definitely looking really good in here, great seeing things finally coming together homey.

aod

*edit*You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti again.

D

DHF

My crazy ass buddy IF`s exactly right A in that all strain`s react differently to bein raped and pillaged if they`re dialed in to know when ta fuck with em....

That`s pretty much the gist as far as all the side by side shit , or I`m sure he`ll come back and enlighten us.....and....all suggestions sound relevant......except....

A`s growin budsicles , so the advice on gettin rid of what`s shadin the budsite`s yas wanna keep really don`t apply here CS , but it certainly does as far as with bigger plants so good lookin out.....so....

All yas gotta do is keep em trimmed sideways where they don`t choke each other out for light and environment cuz at the size of those plants there`ll be no sucker branches or anything to the detriment of the single cola except what tries ta get in the cola`s next to it`s bidness ya heard?....so......I`d ......

LOVETA see 1 oz donkey dicks side by side in that setup A , and guaranteed it can happen once yas hoon this bitch in with that AK....and ....

IF....I love readin tween your lines fer tha good stuff.....Oh shit....almost forgot....

Arm ...hit me in PM so as ta not clog shit up cuz I`m so wordy , but I gotcher back....it`ll just take a lil time fer yas to observe and dial yer bitches........

Peace....Freds.....:ying:....

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can see from this that I need to do a LOT more sideways trimming, we were pretty aggressive last time but I need to be even more to get an even better harvest.

My question is I have about 1/2 diesels and the rest are Hybrids leaning to indicas heavy lines, does the defoliating rules apply differently?

Sorry Anti but this question is something I have been thinking about, I do LOVE your budscicles and so far your current grow looks awesome!

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
A`s growin budsicles , so the advice on gettin rid of what`s shadin the budsite`s yas wanna keep really don`t apply here CS , but it certainly does as far as with bigger plants so good lookin out.....so....

Ahhh.... shitty and carless wording in my post. Was eating and reading. If you saw my belly, you would know which one I pay more attention to.

I really meant to describe an example of a way to manage the canopy that the AK might respond well too... without getting into wordy speculation about leaf surface area as it relates to photosynthetic potential, or the relationship between shadows and internodal reach, or some kind of far out speculation related to the possible advantages of a diversified vascular flow... In this case, with the girls being so close it might be another plant's bud sites that are getting shaded...

But DHF touched on that in his comments above...

Anyway, I went back and tried to edit that post for a bit of clarification.

Hey, is it dinner time anywhere? 'Cause where ever it's dinner is where I want to be.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
My question is I have about 1/2 diesels and the rest are Hybrids leaning to indicas heavy lines, does the defoliating rules apply differently?
Hell yeah! If your diesels run on you, you're likely to get plenty of light penetration without having to remove shade leaves... if you believe in things like
leaf surface area as it relates to photosynthetic potential, or the relationship between shadows and internodal reach, or some kind of far out speculation related to the possible advantages of a diversified vascular flow.
The more compact indicas will likely create an impenetrable canopy of shade leaves left to their own devices, which will influence flower structure development (in the early stages of stretch.) But as brought up earlier, these indicas probably need to be attended to earlier in the veg period to establish a desirable flowering structure. Often the shade leaves can be huge at an early age in a healthy plant, and some gardeners are inclined to remove them relatively early in veg.

D

DHF

IF.....Indica dominant hybrids piss me off cuz every time I ran em with bare bulbs hangin they went sideways wonky on my ass and didn`t yield for shit due to all the foliage involved in growin em till end of cycle....but....

I`ve run em and stopped due to the time and baby`n it took ta get anything close to returns on investment...although....

All killer awesome meds for my insomnia and arthritis but....NONE would yield for dick cuz they were as much leaf as much as they were golfball size nugs after trim with buncha leaf/flarf left over that I guess coulda be used for Bubble , but I composted all strippin`s for my veggie gardens...

Guess I`m kinda biased huh ?.......50/50 hybrids rule....No matter WHAT size yas flip em at.......bet on it...

Dialage......Monocroppin.....Side by side flip rooms a month apart in age turnin on and off every 12 hrs for optimum power draw while harveyin every month or so strain dependent will make yas happy....so....

Put it in the budget....and...

Peace...Freds......:ying:.....

Last edited:
Anti, I meant that a screen would allow you to train the upper level to grow downwards (closer to the light, allowing both levels to get equal lighting).

If memory serves your lower level is/was far outpacing your top level.

DHF and ImaginaryFriend, ironically enough I'm running a new strain in my system and that's exactly what I do with a new one............pull leaves and hack it up until I find the "sweet spot".

Might make a thread on it if I'm not as lazy as I usually am.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hell yeah! If your diesels run on you, you're likely to get plenty of light penetration without having to remove shade leaves... if you believe in things like The more compact indicas will likely create an impenetrable canopy of shade leaves left to their own devices, which will influence flower structure development (in the early stages of stretch.) But as brought up earlier, these indicas probably need to be attended to earlier in the veg period to establish a desirable flowering structure. Often the shade leaves can be huge at an early age in a healthy plant, and some gardeners are inclined to remove them relatively early in veg.

Thank you IF:tiphat:

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
I
F.....Indica dominant hybrids piss me off cuz every time I ran em with bare bulbs hangin they went sideways wonky on my ass and didn`t yield for shit due to all the foliage involved in growin em till end of cycle....but....

I`ve run em and stopped due to the time and baby`n it took ta get anything close to returns on investment...although....

All killer awesome meds for my insomnia and arthritis but....NONE would yield for dick cuz they were as much leaf as much as they were golfball size nugs after trim with buncha leaf/flarf left over that I guess coulda be used for Bubble , but I composted all strippin`s for my veggie gardens...

Guess I`m kinda biased huh ?.......50/50 hybrids rule....No matter WHAT size yas flip em at.......bet on it...

Dialage......Monocroppin.....S ide by side flip rooms a month apart in age turnin on and off every 12 hrs for optimum power draw while harveyin every month or so strain dependent will make yas happy....so....

Put it in the budget....and...

Peace...Freds...........
Um... yeah.

I did it.

And I stopped.

Fuck that.

I got too much work to do to deal with silly-assed slow vegging, everyday training, plucking leaved bull-shit.

50/50s all the way home.

50/50s.com that shit.

prowler

View Image
^^^ Top Tier Left ^^^

Anti i mean no disrespect - but you have a couple of things you need to focus on here in this picture:

I see a slight burn. I see outer sides of some leaves twisting up and i see leaves shutting a bit (folding alongside with the main vain).

You need to handle it now - before stretching starts. Double check your liquids and environment.

Get some magnesium sulfate from your local drugstore (cheap). Spray some moisture to walls (you're not working? easy way to bump the humidity) and do a bit training to avoid heat spots. You're going to love yourself specially after taking care of humidity properly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50-50 for cash. From 100-0 to 0-100 for me please :)
I always keep candy for my self also. A small plant or three in there can make just enough for the owner. Do not underestimate proper 100%ers. Also have to say that i tried kali mist vertical in a 6 place rainforest 2 (GHEs hexagon aero/DWC -wonder machine) which yielded pretty good. Some sativas tends to grow all bud when they're in optimum conditions. 2 bad i didn't have it filled properly. Sure those buds were a bit fluffier than 50/50 but done properly breaks a gpw easily.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
50-50 for cash. From 100-0 to 0-100 for me please

Fair statement.

When I posted above to the contrary, I may have been a little agitated/buzzed-up.

Now I feel calmer. And agree that 100-0s and 0-100s do have a worthy place in the world.

Just don't put them in the wrong place?

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
So happy you waited a bit to flip Anti. If there are any ones lagging behind the others, compare the root structures come harvest..

I think what IF was trying to say earlier (correct me if wrong) is that you should be experimenting this run. Pick say 5 plants and defoil at 35 days, another at 40, 45, etc.. Could maybe top a few or try simple methods of trainings. You do not have to put it all on the line and learn things the hard way by keeping everything the same, which is slow. That might be the best way to learn, but your fortunate to have some wise and caring people here who would like to save ya the time. Nobody is going to know how your strain works better than you will once you understand it. I think it would be hard to understand human behavior by studying a single person so maybe run some different strains for the hell of it. I know your on to something here bro and most people don't realize it yet. Some people keep everything simple although still have no time, while others delay gratification. Once you figure out WHAT to do first, you'll easily be able to do a run and fucking kill it. Get people thinking about what they are doing with their cubic space...

TommyTwoColas alluded to bending/curving the very top of your plants and I think that would be a great idea. We all know the benefits of a bare bulb here, but there is a benefit to a parabolic reflector if it has a hole in it :) 4 sticks and 4 to 8 pieces of string ought to make that easy enough.

I wouldn't worry about your nutes or the purple stems. My C99xPD will sometimes show pruple/red like that, but AK47xPD are always like that. Seen plenty of other people say it's a strain thing too. I wouldn't stress about humidity, but I hope what everyone is saying about it is true becuase I've usually done well in the past with 15% or less humidity, seedling to harvest.

Also along the lines of "when?" is stretch over, I recently found out that it isn't just because the vertical growth has halted, but when the roots are done growing. I defoliated when I thought stretch was done and still saw some new roots the following days on one strain and not an another. Try and think of plants like DHF does; it's all about what stage they are in and how what you do to them changes them. Then again like what was said about a 50/50 rule, some strains just gunna throw a dominate branch straight up into big colas, pop out tons of big fan leaf, and overall be like a little xmas tree structure, that is if you aren't doing any high-stress training.

You play around so much outside of the skirts of what the community does Anti, but should mess around more in your own sandbox. Anyway, I'm still plenty excited to see however this turns out and I think we're off to a good start. How about another update? lol jk :p

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
It's kinda scary to watch how quickly things are growing this round. I'm a little afraid I waited too long to flip and I'm going to overgrow the chamber!

JUST NOW​

picture.php

Ok. Picture above shows one of the bamboo plant stakes I used last round. Now, the beds are shorter than the pots were, but I have the stake all the way to the floor of the bed, and last round it was all the way to the bottom of the pot (which sat on the floor of the bed). The stakes are 24".

Last round at the end, the BIGGEST plants were maybe 2-3" taller than the stakes.

Here's a picture from week nine for comparison:

picture.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts