What's new

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

Siskiyou

Veteran
Enough of that. White balance correction, such as it is on my camera, will still be my main photographic approach for now.

Lucky Charms @ 48. Fading nicely. Some light-bleaching is apparent on the tips of the tallest buds, but overall very healthy. Even the side branches are filling in well.
picture.php

LCf2 @41
picture.php

The newer generation LED fixtures will provide a better photographic experience...I hope.
"The veg room"
picture.php

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
I can't believe I was never subscribed to this thread!!

Well, at least I have a ton to read at work tomorrow.

Outstanding work.

Siskiyou

Veteran
This thread really reinforcing my desire to run SSDD ! Great work Siskiyou

I have loved SSDD every step of the way. I have enjoyed four different females from my pack of seeds, each one unique and each one lovely and potent.
The original seed plants and now the f2s are very photogenic. Part of it has to do with their their open structure which allows light to flow freely all around each bud, and the photographer to move freely around the object while composing the shot.

These f2s lean toward the NLD type (sativa) and stretched a bit also. Interestingly they have grown right up to just a bit below the fixture but show no evidence of light-bleaching

Siskiyou

Veteran
I can't believe I was never subscribed to this thread!!

Well, at least I have a ton to read at work tomorrow.

Outstanding work.

I can't believe it either, but I am very glad you are here. Lapides, you are seriously one of my primary inspirations for recycling and reammending and here I am working with the same soil I was using 4 years ago and very happy with the results. Thank You. Also, I have enjoyed your photography over the years and your most recent LED cabs are very cool, also. :tiphat:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've been watching both y'alls threads for what seems like forever now...
glad u finally made the link, lap :D

Siskiyou

Veteran
My most recent soil reammendment:

70 gallons used soil
5 gallons fresh EWC with rice hull biochar and worms
2 gallons pumice
1 gallon Pro-Mix HP
2 cups "Flower Girl" 3-9-4 dry organic fertilizer
2 cups oyster shell flour
1 cup mineral mix (includes basalt, azomite, gypsum, glacial rock dust)

Additions to the worm bin have included:

coffee grounds
canna mulch (stems, leaves, culled plants, trimmings, etc.)
bokashi fermented bubble mash
rice hulls
rice hull char (homemade)
used soil
eggshells
oatmeal
melon
tomato
spinach
aloe vera leaves
pumice
oyster shell flour
azomite

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i got some lucky charms x black lime reserve... grew some of them out and they were very unique.... spicey and fruity - seemed like they could have gone 12 weeks or so

Siskiyou

Veteran
i got some lucky charms x black lime reserve... grew some of them out and they were very unique.... spicey and fruity - seemed like they could have gone 12 weeks or so

That sounds like a cross with great potential.
The Sunshine Daydream x Tiger Temple I grew out earlier this year took 12 weeks to finish. Feels like a long time to wait when we are used to faster finishing cultivars, but the SSDDxTT was certainly worthy. Twelve weeks was the longest I had ever taken a plant into flower, but I know that more pure NLD varieties can take much longer.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Made it to page 20! Gonna Bookmark it for now, cant wait to see what the last 2 years have brought you. Loving the bodhi strains and organic soils, and your thorough documenting style so far :)

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Last week I reammended all of my soil not currently in use. I have about 150 gallons of soil total (.75 yards, right?) and only about 30 gallons in use, so I was able to reammend about 120 gallons.
The first step for me was to assess my used soil. I did not observe any shortage of the macronutrients (N-P-K) in previous runs and I trust my EWC to provide most of what I need, so I reammended very lightly.

120 gallons used soil
2 Trays EWC with worms and worm cocoons (about 4 gallons)
1 gallon rice hulls
1 gallon pumice
.5 gallon small black lava rock
1 cup oyster shell flour
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup Happy Frog 5-5-5 dry organic fertilizer

Everything was mixed very lightly on a tarp. I let the worms do the final mixing.

The last addition is for the small innoculation of mycorrhizae that the Happy Frog carries much more than for any nutrients provided. Rice hulls, pumice and lava are all primarily for aeration, though their byproducts may be beneficial as well.

At this point several trays of EWC that have been fed with my "bokashi worm food" have been added to my living recycled soil. The resulting soil smells clean and a bit like fresh beets, nothing sour or off in any way...the smell of healthy soil. I also know that the EWC I am adding to the soil is made of decomposed cannabis, coffee, tomatoes, spinach and other wholesome vegetable ingredients, as well eggshells and a diverse addition of minerals including basalt, azomite, gypsum, glacial rock dust and oyster shell flour, char, rice hulls and other good things I may have forgotten. Nothing unknown.

That is a light Re-Amendment indeed! most recipes throw that in to make up 1 fresh Cubic foot of mix. Your 120G = 17 Cubic Feet!

Just curious what is the benefit of adding ammendments to the worm bin, as opposed to into the mix directly. I can imagine that the bacteria can work at it, start breaking it down and it will be available. I would assume that it isn't to feed the worms primarily as you can give them a wide variety of scraps already from the household.

Almost caught up. On page 40 now!

Siskiyou

Veteran
nice buds.

:tiphat:

Made it to page 20! Gonna Bookmark it for now, cant wait to see what the last 2 years have brought you. Loving the bodhi strains and organic soils, and your thorough documenting style so far :)

That is a light Re-Amendment indeed! most recipes throw that in to make up 1 fresh Cubic foot of mix. Your 120G = 17 Cubic Feet!

Just curious what is the benefit of adding ammendments to the worm bin, as opposed to into the mix directly. I can imagine that the bacteria can work at it, start breaking it down and it will be available. I would assume that it isn't to feed the worms primarily as you can give them a wide variety of scraps already from the household.

Almost caught up. On page 40 now!

That was a very light reammendment, even for me. At that point I must have felt that my existing soil was fairly rich. The used soil that I recycle isn't totally spent, some of it was from culled plants who only occupied the soil for a few weeks, and I would guess about half of it had flowering plants growing in it for 9 weeks or so. My reammendments vary by what I feel the soil needs based upon observations of the last round. A couple times I have found myself a little lighter on nitrogen than I would have liked, so I add a bit more the next time. One of my goals with this small-scale sustainable soil project has been to build a soil that is "adapted" to the plants growing in it, incorporating decomposed cannabis supplemented with a variety of other organic materials
Most of what goes into the worm bin is in a more "raw" state than I would add directly to working soil. For instance the culled plants, trimmings, stems, bubble mash and other cannamulch. The char goes into the worm bin to emerge as kickass biochar when I harvest the EWC. I have used a bit of fish meal, but it stinks. I can add it to the worm bin in smallish amounts, cover with a bit of used soil, and the smell isn't even noticeable. When I harvest the castings, all the goodness is there without the smell.
The worms are well-fed, yes.

I have changed my policy about only mixing reammendments lightly. I now mix them moderately. Originally the idea was to minimize disturbance of fungal networks and the microherd. Inconsistencies in plant response to lightly mixed soil made me see very clearly that I needed to mix a bit more, without overworking the soil.

I am glad you asked.

Bmac1

Veteran
Killing it as always siskiyou. They look lovely, particulalrly the ssdd f2. I need to fogure out an isolation chamber to get some pollen to play with.