What's new

SEEDS, Biggest and Smallest?

G

Sorry about the shitty pic but it does show the size of the seeds anyhow. Even though these seeds share the same daddy there is a great size difference. The little dude is Panama Red x (Strawberry diesel x Double Dog) and the larger dude is Conquistador x (Strawberry Diesel x Double Dog).

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thought I should post these here - from a mystery Jamaican X Flo cross I just made - the biggest seeds I have, by a long way. These are at least a third bigger than my Thais, and rival commercial hemp for size.

The seeds on the left are 'average' size seeds for comparison:

Hindu Killer

Veteran
It seems to R C Clark wrote that seed size was a indication to THC production, because a larger calyxe hence large seed, produces more glandularTrichomes.
From my own experiences the largest seeds Ive seen were 89' Sensi seeds SK#1xNL#5. They were crazy large! And ofcourse Ive seen large seed here and there, ghanis..old ghanis used to be large and grey. I was gifted a couple Train wreck crosses, and they are both small seed . One is tiny...like the Kasmir seeds of Farmer Johns above. Shockingly so...mustard seed action. Gotta get this pic takeing uploading and posting figured out. Got lots of stuff to share. Peace all.

G

I went through my seed stash and have nothing outstandingly large, the two largest were Black Domina x Kali Mist, they look huge cos they are very round, but when measured were only 4.5mm at most, 53 to a gram. Second largest were Blueberry x Grapefruitbowl, biggest were only 4mm, 55 to a gram.

The smallest are all sativas - Columbian Bold, Colombian Gold x Zamal/Haze and Blueberry x Zamal Haze, all tiny and black almost. The Blueberry x Zamal Haze are 160 or more to the gram (lost exact count) and are the smallest in volume, but due to their elongated ovoid shape still measure almost 3mm.

I find pure sativas always have small seeds as they have small calyxes, for pure strains, not hybrids, the biggest in my experience tend to be indica types from Afghan region and they are often pale whereas seeds from pure sativas tend to be almost black. Just my observations over the years.

Sorry no pics, can't find my macro lens and the normal one is rubbish for such close ups.

I have seen very large hemp seeds before, similar to the 9mm x 6mm monsters Sam talks about, they were Chinese as the Chinese have bred strains to produce huge seeds as hempseeds are a staple of the diet in some regions of China. The ones I saw were in packets in a health food shop, I thought they were chick peas by their size and pale colour, then I realised they were hemp (after reading the label! lol) and was very surprised how huge they were.

Unfortunately did not have my other seeds here, i have some almost twice as big as the big ones and some at least three times smaller than these.

Next time.

Can anyone say whether the large seeds grow into plants with long pistils and large calyxs (and vice versa for the small seeds)? I'm gonna get my camaera out 2morrow!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Yes larger seeds in general yield larger calyx's. The exception can be if a large seeded variety with large calyx's is pollinated by a small seeded variety male the seeds will be big, but the plants grown will have large seeds and the calyx's may or may not be large enough to cover the seed.
I have done the same with small seeded mothers pollinated with a large seeded father, they give small seeds that when grown the seeds are often to big for the calyx's.
I am saying in F1 populations it is the mother that controls the F1 seed size while the F2 seeds will express the size of both parents of the F1 seed, usually half way between the two.

-SamS

skar

hi, i'm gonna take a pics later but in a pack of G-Bolt from Motarebel 3 of the 10 seeds were way bigger than the others. I grew one of them big seeds with the classic other ones and i don't know if it's a lucky thing but it's the one who i keep as mum for her overall qualities.

also the remaining seeds i have of a pack of Colombian Punto Rojo from BCSC are really small..but grow well and healthy.

Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts