What's new

SEEDS, Biggest and Smallest?

C

Chamba

I don't know is it was a survival strategy but those big round deep chunk seeds really held a lot of moisture.

don't you mean oil content in the seed, not the amount of H2O?

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
No he means moisture content. The less moisture seems to produce the best germ rates. I read a study once and it said 1-2% moisture content had the best longevity and germ rates.

C

Chamba

the absolute smallest seeds I've ever germinated were Thai...so it surprises me to read that some mention Thai in this thread as having a large seed size???...I've grown hundreds of Thai seed and all, except hybridized Thais, had tiny~small seeds....source Thailand 80's

Last edited:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Another thing seed size and ID might benefit is knowing if you have genetic drift in your seeds from batch to batch.

Heres my two extremes. The small ones are Mikado [ f2's from 2001, I recently put 30 into paper towels and got 29 sprouts. ] The larger ones are NL5's.

G

I have some Durban Poison seeds that are extremely small, hardly look like they could produce a plant. They do though!

ngakpa

Veteran
hiya Chamba - I'm afraid I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but if I remember right the seeds I was seeing in Thai within the last decade or so were of a medium size, generally fully ripe, shell of a silver-grey colour, often with a lightly mottled and tiger-striped patterning ...

...what to make of that I don't know - might one or other of those characteristics indicate hybridisation?

(The ganja itself seemed to me to be authentically sativa in appearance, smell, effect - nothing that suggested to me hybridisation with modern Western strains as I recall it...)

On a side note, I have read little or nothing about the relation between seed patterning and plant genotype, if any exists - so apologies for the slight digression, but is there a consensus on whether seeds' appearance, inc. size, can be used as a guide to whether landraces are authentic?

(my instinct is always that generalisations of this kind are very risky, but I would be interested to hear what people had to say)

cheers, and Happy Smoking from the land of the 100+ day Malawi hybrids

Namkha

Last edited:

fatboyOGOF

strainwhore. great name. :)

i never thought of something like that. i got a great freebie pack of stonehedge from gypsy. it was a nice surprise. i would like to spread the apollo around a bit and it is a keeper. the funny thing is a genetic i like even better is what i made when i crossed the apollo 13 and the cindy. really fine marijuana.

i was working out some trades with some of the old farts about the time OG went boom. i'm a strainwhore in training.

i just recently realized that there were only about 500 F1s of the apollo 13 sold by the great mr soul and sly. not bad for a first buy eh? :) the buds are medium size, tightly packed and a beautiful deep rust red.

i'll look into it. thanks for the idea!

C

Chamba

hiya Chamba - I'm afraid I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but if I remember right the seeds I was seeing in Thai within the last decade or so were of a medium size, generally fully ripe, shell of a silver-grey colour, often with a lightly mottled and tiger-striped patterning ...

prior to the nineties, I'd say that almost seed I saw in Thailand were never mottled or had any tiger striping...but Thai/Dutch hybrids I produced did

...what to make of that I don't know - might one or other of those characteristics indicate hybridisation?

I'd say that assumption is most likey correct

(The ganja itself seemed to me to be authentically sativa in appearance, smell, effect - nothing that suggested to me hybridisation with modern Western strains as I recall it...)

were they Xmas tree or asymetrical in growth?...thin or medium leaves?.....did they flower for 5 months? .....actually, the high is where they show their imported genes the most....

On a side note, I have read little or nothing about the relation between seed patterning and plant genotype, if any exists - so apologies for the slight digression, but is there a consensus on whether seeds' appearance, inc. size, can be used as a guide to whether landraces are authentic?

some strains have very distinctive markings...if you dropped 3 strains of seeds on the floor..a haze hybrid with it's unique shape and blue-ish tint, Thai with tiny unmarked seeds and a typical Dutch hybrid with striking markings and picked them all up it would be easy to tell them apart

but of course the only growing them out to maturity and smoking them will tell!

(my instinct is always that generalisations of this kind are very risky, but I would be interested to hear what people had to say)

cheers, and Happy Smoking from the land of the 100+ day Malawi hybrids

Namkha

You too!.....btw for those who are not aware ...in Malawi Chamba or Chambe is the local word for ganja.....or so they say, I've never set foot in Africa or have grown any African strains (apart from Zamal..if that strain could be very loosly called "African" in any way?)...Namaste

and speaking of seeds......I did something different late Fall. Instead of religously labelling all my seedlings in pots as I usually do. I selected about 5 ~ 10 seeds from each of the crosses I wanted and grew them out blind. I like growing this way as you look upon all the plants with equality of value and potential...each bud must be evalued in a blind test which is good too!...whether it's just another 3rd generation Cindy/Haze cross that I have grown so many of lately or a plant grown from expensive bought seeds that I have high expectations of being superduper...this brings a new dimension to your growing and smoking.

Last edited:

kush07

Wow I've never seen seeds so small!!! That's extreme! What are the germ rates like on those tiny babies? Also Sam in your experiences, bigger seeds = bigger calyxs?

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of the smallest seeds i have is The Pure (skunk) from the flying dutchman... but this has nothing to do with the size of the living, the skunk grew taller than all plants from DC seeds. both are also slow vegers cuz they are old timers (inbred~lines:)

I made a few beans with a stinky Skunk female and some DC pollen ...the seeds are almost black, hope for some purple skunk:) a friend is now making a test grow.

here are a few pics from the seeds

my smallest and largest seeds are from the same cross of Atomic Haze and BOG's Lifesaver. the smallest ones tend to grow sativa leaning plants and the larger ones usually end up indica dom. with the avg size ones ending up in the middle or slightly to one side. not sure if this is always the case just something i noticed last time i grew them. i do have some larger seeds that are about 8 or 9mm long and the size of a small pea. i have plenty of these from some bagseed that smelled like Limes and theyre all extremely large, none small. but i would say the bud they came from leaned on the sativa side but it was hard to tell.

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Amnesia99 x G13 vs. Manali vs Kashmir

Kashmir

Manali/Parvati

Acapulco Gold vs Kashmir

Peruvian seeds, early 80's and they still germinate...

Last edited:
nice thread! i made some butterscotch hawaiian f3 that are huge! the biggest one is 7.5mm long. not sure how the plants will be but the seeds are monsters! like little melons!

G

The smallest drug cultivars I have seen or collected are from the north sainai in Egypt tiny tiny seeds the size of the tip of a pencil I fit 160 seeds in a small vitamin jell cap easily , the largest I have seen are from afghani and pakistan varieties .
I suspect that climate ie the lack of water is the reason for the tiny seeds in desert strains perhaps skunkman could enlighten us on this theory ?
Reef

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
I agree with the egyptian, from Sinai, are very tiny seeds, havent seen a big seed in there, pretty much the same size as these kashmir seeds, maybe even smaller..

Amnesia99 x G13, Manali/Parvati and Kashmir size comparison..

N

New Grower

Please help me!!

What do you think? Are these seeds original Sensi NL fem. seeds? I bought it from a local guy (not in Holland)

I hope somebody saw original Sensi Seeds fem. NL seeds earlier! I wait the suggestions friends!

Thanks!

NG

Latest posts

Latest posts