What's new

Secret of longest of Marriage...?

G

Secret of longest marriage is saying 'sorry'

Tue May 31, 9:27 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British couple who hold the world record for the longest marriage said Wednesday their success was down to a glass of whisky, a glass of sherry and the word "sorry."

Percy and Florence Arrowsmith married on June 1, 1925 and will celebrate their 80th anniversary Wednesday.

The Guinness World Records said Tuesday the couple held the title for the longest marriage and also for the oldest married couple's aggregate age.

"I think we're very blessed," Florence, 100, told the BBC. "We still love one another, that's the most important part."

Asked for their secret, Florence said you must never be afraid to say "sorry."

"You must never go to sleep bad friends," she said, while Percy, 105, said his secret to marital bliss was just two words: "yes dear."

The couple have three children, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren and are planning a party soon.

"I like sherry at lunch time and whisky at night and I'm looking forward very much to my party," said Florence.
Story Link

I don't know if I nessacarily agree with that saying sorry is the secret... :rolleyes:

However :chin: it hasn't been eighty years, :biglaugh: only ten :smile:

I still think secret is Friendship above all else... I really do... :friends:

not sayin' that "yes Dear" doesn't have a nice ring to it though... :wink:

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
"Yes dear" Ms. G. I think your right about the friendship, seems to work here; 17 years and going strong !

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes friendship is very important in a relationship, you have to be able to talk and get along with each other, in other words, LIKE each other, i watch other couples bicker at each other like they cant stand them, its really weird to me, my hubby and i get along really good, rarely have harsh words to each other and we are best friends :ying: . its nice to spend time with each other and do things that you both enjoy :joint: we have been married for 12 years this month, been together for over 18, i hope we have many many years together :smile:

nice story MsG...80 years is a long time! damn thats amazing :yoinks:

ledhed

Yepper, being best friends is what works for us. And being able to say "sorry."

I think the fact that we can still make each other laugh really hard has something to do with it.

And let's NOT forget the awesome power of "Yes, dear."

Twenty years (holy shit!) and still going...

wantdachronic

80 years is a very long time :) i have been with my girlfriend for almost 2 years now and i think it all boils down to if you can make your other half laugh and be their best friend, your on your way to a great relationship...+ being a great in bed would definately help lol

G

were goin on just over 6 years and the main tip I can give couples is that you have to practice your ignoring skill's, :yoinks: what dear,did you say something?or yes......yes....yes.....if all else fails just yes'em to death :bat:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ms G, The 20th of this month will be 20 years for me. When we first decided to get married I asked her to answer me 1 question. Why did you move out of your mom and dads house? She replied so that she could have her freedom and to be able to do what she wanted. My response to that was then why would you get married and go right back to what you were running from in the first place? I know that sounds very simple but I hold those words very dear to my heart, my friends always say we act like were always out on a date and I say we are always on a date. TRUST LOVE PATIENCE AND SOME MORE TRUST. Oh and buying her expensive gifts helps every now and then to!

Mr.Wags
A.K.A Mr. Whipped But oh So Happy

okietokie

mrwags: 1 question. Why did you move out of your mom and dads house? believe it or not this question actually came up during our end of our 8 year marriage.....and I find it ironic you bring it up.........so therefore im going to add that question to the personal phsycological test, personal and family background check, pass my dog like you test(he can pickem out better than I can! the good ones from the bad :) )

but for a long marriage....im on the thinking that the more compatable you are with each other in likes and dislikes and honest about them the longer you will last....i knew my wife since grade school....always got along..never fought.....great friends....but in the end we kinda grew into different people that could not support each others life style....made each one flat miserable and lead to a lot of hurt.....mainly because each one wanted the other in their life but the other didnt want the life just the person.....kinda fubared....even through the divorce we have remained friends and civil for the sake of our son.....yes it was hard...biting lip...but it was what is best for the little guy...

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
12 years!

12 years!

Today is our 12 year wedding anniversery!....We actually remembered to wish each other a happy aniversery today, we have forgotten in the past :biglaugh: I love Babba very much and hope that we have many many more years together :jump: Hope thats not too mushy guys! :tongue:

p.s. thought this might be appropriate for my 420th post!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy 12th year Mr & Mrs Babba. And at 420 damn thats a good omen for sure.

Mr.Wags

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well 12 years married but she was shackin up with me for 6 years before that so its really 18 :)

G

isn't is great to be able to still be yourself after all those years.. I find it quite comforting, that H3ad is still my best friend...

I mean it, really congrats You Two :rasta: Hope you are having a good one :smile:

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
appreciate what you've got

appreciate what you've got

I know I do.
Mrs Cook and I have been married for over 13 years now. Oh, I still piss her off :bat: - "pick up yer socks!" but like others have said, we're still just good friends and love spending time together. When you're lucky enough to find someone like that, you gotta appreciate what you've got.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to the Babbas. Two very cool people that totally deserve each other. :friends: many more years to ya
(cook shoves 4 course dinner into disk drive slot for Babbas)
then yells....
"Hooooney... the computer is messed up again...."

Last edited:
G

Seems the whisky and the sherry seem to b e the rooit of the sorry when it comes to me. 13 years and its still the best two syllable word I know.
Hope you saw tonights full moon.

G

:D well, 10 years this weekend.... since we took the plunge :friends: ... and Grat3fulH3ad is still my bestest friend in the whole wide world!! :smoker:

Happy Anniversary BABBBY :bigeye:

And some said it wouldn't last :muahaha:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts