What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sea solids and coco; Side by side trial

osirica420

the sea solid side is going to mature faster, might lack a bit on the yield though...

the headier smoke shall make up for it..:2cents:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A Source of FREE Nitrogen?

A Source of FREE Nitrogen?

I have been sidetracked investigating water frequency. It lead me to Viktor Schauberger. Here is a tidbit of his research that could be very useful in our reserviors. I am using a 320gph pump with a riser and horizontal 1/2" PVC capped, but with holes drilled to shoot the nutes out in an effort to oxygenate to the max. Replacing the PVC with copper might elimnate the need for adding N...

"If the farmers were to change to copper ploughs the need for a nitrogen supplement would be permanently diminished and so the Director demanded compensation. Viktor was furious and sent him packing. However shortly after his contract was terminated by the company and representatives from the local agricultural society begun warning farmers against using the copper plough as it would lead to over production and the eventual fall in prices."

FYI: Since flushing with 90ppm HSS, I have noticed new pistils and it seems my leafs are a lush green as seen in both Covert and Osirica's pics

Terramoto

Hey tell me something, i live near the sea so i was wondering does that salt is any different from the natural sea salt? Can i feed my plants with sea water? I always thought the salt would damage the plants...

CovertCrops

Terramoto - yes, seawater varies from spot to spot. The Sea-90 comes from the Sea of Cortez and others like Osirica420 and Petflora also use salts from the Himalayas. While Dr. Murray's book cautions people from running out and getting a bucket of sea water for their plants I don't really see what the difference is, and the book does have a few contradictions. So, if you wanna try it maybe get a bucket of sea water and let us know what the EC is. I am curious to what the EC of the ocean is. I usually make my seawater 2.0 EC.

Petflora - I have been flushing a table with nothing but 2.4 EC seawater for the last 2 weeks, I have more new growth than I thought possible, Foxtails pushing up everywhere and fresh pistil developement. I was gonna take them this week but now I am reconsidering. I don't understand the copper for N tho?

Osirica - I'd love it if the sea solids shortened the run time, Ecsd takes a bit longer than I like, its worth it but faster is always better.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am only guessing about the copper as Shaumberger proved that tilling the soil (shoveling etc) with copper plated impliments provided the N. So it would seem that nutes running through copper pipes would attract the N charges into the water as well.

Maybe I will up the ppms up from 90 just to see (sea) what happens.

Update: 4/22- I thought I was going to pull the girls tomorrow (95% red pistils), but continue to be amazed by the number of new pistils. Using a jewelers loop, I see the trics are still crystal clear.

Since they need more time anyway, I upped the HHS ppms to 450 today, and will add a splash of N and FF BigBloom to say 650-800ppms.

Keep in mind I am using high pressure aero which atomizes the mist, making it extremely bioavailable.

Y

Yankee Grower

Most sea water is highly polluted. I stopped swimming in it decades ago
Sure there are many surface areas that are heavily polluted, especially in bays like the Chesapeake or a place like Long Island Sound, but many areas of the ocean are still very clean. At this point in time you'd want to pull water from areas where there's a nice upwelling from deep ocean currents. There are currents that run along the bottom of the ocean that, if I remember right, take a few thousand years to complete a cycle so civilization will cease to exist as we know it before these deep currents come up polluted. In fact global warming, whether man made or not, is affecting these deep currents which are responsible for maintaining weather equilibrium and are slowing down. If they shut down completely we're screwed.

It depends from spot to spot
Sure...for starters the Pacific has about twice the phosphorous content compared to the Atlantic due to all the undersea volcanic activity for starters.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Osarica/Covert

Can you post pics of your roots? Mine have deteriorated considerably from what they were before I started flushing with HSS. So far the plants seem fine, but this turn of events has me very concerned

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I'm interested in that sea salt thing and might give it a run sometime soon.
I'll get some salt from the Dead Sea (in Israel), but how much should I add to a galon of coco\perlite again?
I read that it lacks nitrogen - would adding fermented human urine supplement enough?

Can you please send me a link to the Dr. Murray book you mention?

osirica420

PetFlora .. show us show shots if possible, also what EC/ppm are you using, what were you using before, and what are u adding in combo with the sea salt now?

I have never noticed any root problems only when there is not enough O2 in my water solution, but that was due to the organic supplements..

I will post some shots in a 2-3hrs...

google search for books..
Dr. Maynard Murrays Sea Energy Book
and
Fertility from the Ocean Deep

anything with N and P in it will work, just use proper ratios..

osirica420

Roots are pretty white considering the water is dark brown right after i change it...
salt lowers the oxygen capacity but not by much just as any nutrient would..
will see if i can find that study again that told me the exact amount...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

CovertCrops

Yankee Grower - Welcome

fonzee - I don't think human pee would be enough. You have to supply some P (phosphorus) as well.

Petflora - I can't show you my roots, they live in coco. Osirica seems to have come through with some shots tho. Sorry to hear of your turn of events.

Osirica - Nice root shots. Did you say you adjust Ph or you just let it do its own thing? I've been adjusting for this grow.

*Update*

Been busy around here so I apologize that the updates have slowed a bit. The Control plants are still stretching which has forced me to abandon the hood and change my perspective. With the iceboxes installed on the exhaust I have no problem keeping the rooms cool. I didn't get pics before the lights came on, I will tonight or tomorrow tho. It's a jungle in there......

Day 25
picture.php

There is far more "lumber" on the control plants, could probably build a cabin with it all. I'm interested to see if they produce more bud compared to the sea solid plants

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is what my roots used to look like

This is what my roots used to look like

Unlike Osiricas, which are swimmimng in a pool of nutes, TAG roots hang suspended in air. They are fed for 2 seconds every 6-7 minutes. It may be that the mostly dry salt air is the problem. Oddly, the primary leaves and some buds have dried up and died on the CFL. The LED side seems immune, so far. It is now late in bloom. The problem began when I started flushing!

After a week of 200ppm HSS, the roots lost all that fullness, which is surface area, which means more feeding sites. As of Friday, I bumped the HHS to 450 and added GH MicroFlora (N) and FF BigBloom to 470. Too soon to tell whether the roots can recover at all at this point, or whether the buds will suffer.

Now don't get me wrong, this could be a bad reaction BECAUSE the plants were used to an entirely different feed regimen. I mean both Covert and Osiricas' grows speak a different tune, but they started out with Sea Salt. And in the end we may have learned that SS and aero do not work.

osirica420

I think in a few days they will be stronger then they were before...

I had something similar happen to me when i added guano or molasses to my DWC alot of roots would die back cuz of the lesser amount of O2 but the plant always comes back stronger and better and has no trouble with that solution again...

3-4 days should all be good.. :)

Lets see some more pics!!...
def looks like the control side has more growth but i think the stankier buds will be coming from the sea solid sides.. ; )
I have read quite a few published studies that confirm the theory of sea minerals enhancing the internal chemistry of the plant i will see if i can find them again..
I think if u gave them equal amounts of NPK and one with salt one not there would not be much different in size but only appearance of leaf, bud structure and maturity...

I will post some sample dry bud shots in a bit of Sea Solid Super Silver Haze...

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am guessing your 5:21 reply was for me.

I doubt seriously the roots will recover as I am in late, late bloom. Will take root pic tomorrow, but it's like a tree that lost all its' leaves during winter- only the main branches remain.

osirica420

take a pic of the plant also if possibe..

i read your thread if u flushed with 200ppm for one week of course everything is going to start dieing..
if the leaves are yellowing and starving then expect the roots to feel the effect also..
i think there are quite a few variables in play in here..

Sea Solid Super Silver Haze sample bud only been drying for 3 days..
this bud was not flushed or cured and is super smooth and tasty...
its sticky n stanky one hit is all you need.

picture.php

picture.php

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
See CFL photo in next post. Could not get both to load in this one.

Sadly, not only am I not getting the results that you guys are getting; using a mere 200ppms, the HHS has taken a huge toll on the CFL side- several buds have burned up: roots now look more like tree branches that shed their leaves in winter.

Unfortunately, it took a week to begin to show, and at the one week mark (3 days ago) I upped the HSS to 450ppms. Now they are really drying out/burning up.

CFL Side

See pic in next post. Buds/leaves have dryed out: most of the primary leaves have completely shriveled up.

LED Side

Interestingly, this side is not too bad, but you can see the primary leaves drying out, too.

So I am guessing the 950 CFL watts combined with the HHS mineral buildup in the leaves burned them up.

I drained the rez, and am now flushing with 430ppms of FF Grow Big and BigBloom.

MAYBE the HSS is to blame. PERHAPS if Sea-Agri Minerals actually have the NaCl removed, then they might work.

http://www.seaagri.com/index.html I just emailed them about the NaCl. IT IS NOT REMOVED!

As you can image after seeing the burned buds below, that I am hesitant to try this again.

Latest posts

Latest posts