What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sea solids and coco; Side by side trial

Y

Yankee Grower

Rock dusts for soil remineralisation. Sea solids for hydro micros.
The problem for you in this instance was you used sea salt instead of a sophisticated extract like Sea-Crop or Ocean Solution. Rock dust can't match either.

MrFista

Veteran
Wrong. It was sea solids, the good NZ product. This stuff is bad for soil. Reading above - if you have enough rain to leach it.... Screw that. Sounds like undesirable elements to me.

Y

Yankee Grower

Wrong. It was sea solids, the good NZ product.
'Sea solids' and whole, natural, unprocessed sea salt are the exact same thing...D'Oh! Sea-solids, as I believe we have been talking about it, are really NOTHING more than dehydrated seawater whether it is produced in NZ or some place else like the Brittany coast of France where they make Celtic Sea Salt. What is the frikkin difference really between NZ 'sea solids' and sea salt like Celtic? It's the EXACT same stuff! Well there are some differences in that Pacific seawater is different than Atlantic seawater in some ways and no way getting around that but that's another discussion. Pacific seawater is better though in great part due to the 2x amount of phosphorous but other reasons also ;)

Last edited:

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread!

I have some NZ pure sea salt i use in my kitchen. I also have some concentrated ionic trace mineral drops from the Great Salt Lake of Utah... the latter i have added sometimes to my res. Just very small amounts.

My question is how many tsps/grams per 10 litres?? For an average dose.

I mostly run LC's Soilless mix #1 with a wee touch of charcoal and feed with teas and some floranova bloom.
I dont own a ppm meter and rarely use my ph meter.

Cheers!!!

acidophilus

My question is how many tsps/grams per 10 litres?? For an average dose.

I'd also like to know how many tsps/gal(or ppm) of ocean minerals to use as a suppliment. (not the Dr. Murray school of using sea-solids as a primary source, but more of a substitute for micro-nutrients.)
I'm thinking to run some mpb type bins outdoors with sea-minerals and long-brew(7days?) tea made from Pure(organicare's solid stuff)

thanks

1quixotix

The liquid trace minerals I use have 99% of the sodium removed. I'm wondering how close to a stand alone it could be? I have no idea about amounts to use. Perhaps starting a seed and watching its intake from inception.

Y

Yankee Grower

The liquid trace minerals I use have 99% of the sodium removed. I'm wondering how close to a stand alone it could be? I have no idea about amounts to use. Perhaps starting a seed and watching its intake from inception.
If that's the stuff from Salt Lake in Utah good luck. One thing's for sure not a standalone and not even close.

atomicfield

I've been growing with sea salt and pro mix for awhile now,people think I'm nuts until they try the meds better than anything around,super tasty,super potent, patients line up for it,will never use anything else....straight sea salt.

mg75

I've been growing with sea salt and pro mix for awhile now,people think I'm nuts until they try the meds better than anything around,super tasty,super potent, patients line up for it,will never use anything else....straight sea salt.

straight sea salt? what other nutrients?

atomicfield

straight sea salt? what other nutrients?
started with iguana juice from an and salt till i learned the plants behavior, now just 1tsp salt per gallon of water in pro mix, the k.is.s. method, best end results ever, till someone can show me better ill never stop using.

mg75

started with iguana juice from an and salt till i learned the plants behavior, now just 1tsp salt per gallon of water in pro mix, the k.is.s. method, best end results ever, till someone can show me better ill never stop using.

so taking out iguana juice actually made the meds better? interesting...
does sea salt have any NPK values at all? don't all plants need micro & macro nutrients in some capacity?

maybe promix supports whatever is missing in the salt?

E

elmanito

does sea salt have any NPK values at all? don't all plants need micro & macro nutrients in some capacity?

Sea salt contains minerals & trace elements and not NPK, so you have to use NPK fertilizer but less then normal.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

Last edited:

atomicfield

sea salt has everything in it, it is also a supporter of mycohaze and naturally balances soil ph don't need ph pen anymore, i don't use npk anymore, when the plant takes up sea salt it's chemistry becomes so complex bugs can't digest so they stay away no more pesticides.

mg75

sea salt has everything in it, it is also a supporter of mycohaze and naturally balances soil ph don't need ph pen anymore, i don't use npk anymore, when the plant takes up sea salt it's chemistry becomes so complex bugs can't digest so they stay away no more pesticides.

more bug resistance?
-my root aphids did not mind the salt and the plants died from root rot.

sea-salt balances PH?
-are you sure its not the lime in your pro-mix or sunshine mix soil-less media?

are the minerals in sea-salt immediately available to the plant (naturally chelated) or some kind of breakdown is necessary in the medium or water-culture?

E

elmanito

I do it in combination Sea-Crop with Molasses which chelate the minerals.Sea salt has a pH of 8.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis: