What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SB 374 Will prevent Nevadans from growing their own!

Anteah

SB 374 Will prevent Nevadans from growing their own! Reply to Thread

SB 374 Will prevent Nevadans from growing their own! Reply to Thread

Many good suggestions about loopholes, not sure if any of them will be "acceptable" though. Any lawyers here that care to speculate? ;) I'd love to know if the suggested loopholes would work?

But in the meantime, as this nonsense has not been made a law yet, I say we have to fight and let them know that there is a strong opposition and that we are not happy with their self-serving methods. I would even go as far as rallying to attract media attention.

But at this point, the fastest and the easiest thing to do is email them. I already said I have their emails i can provide if it will make it easier. Also looking them up is pretty easy as well. The note doesn't have to be long. In fact they don't read the whole thing anyway, they just count how many people are writing about a certain subject. Just that you are against this amendment and why (in few short sentences) and that you will protest by not using their overpriced dispensary services which are not even sure to guarantee you an acceptable quality medication.

I understand that it may sound naive to petition the bill creators, but this is a proven way to get the needle moving as every elected official is interested in getting reelected, so their offices do pay somewhat of an attention to the public comments.

Think about it, it is much easier to change the law while it is still in works, once it has been enacted - tough luck!

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
If both pass then drop ur medical an just grow legally for personal. That would e a funny confli t if both passed.

The legalization bill died in committee. Just the dispensary bill is up for a vote now.

Many good suggestions about loopholes, not sure if any of them will be "acceptable" though. Any lawyers here that care to speculate? ;) I'd love to know if the suggested loopholes would work?

But in the meantime, as this nonsense has not been made a law yet, I say we have to fight and let them know that there is a strong opposition and that we are not happy with their self-serving methods. I would even go as far as rallying to attract media attention.

But at this point, the fastest and the easiest thing to do is email them. I already said I have their emails i can provide if it will make it easier. Also looking them up is pretty easy as well. The note doesn't have to be long. In fact they don't read the whole thing anyway, they just count how many people are writing about a certain subject. Just that you are against this amendment and why (in few short sentences) and that you will protest by not using their overpriced dispensary services which are not even sure to guarantee you an acceptable quality medication.

I understand that it may sound naive to petition the bill creators, but this is a proven way to get the needle moving as every elected official is interested in getting reelected, so their offices do pay somewhat of an attention to the public comments.

Think about it, it is much easier to change the law while it is still in works, once it has been enacted - tough luck!

Have emailed and left calls for my reps. Little worried about that tho. Last time I did I got raided by swat. > Don't ask cause I'm not getting into it!

MIway

Veteran
That's exactly what it means.
We won't be able to grow, But they can.
Bastards and on the take politicians.

Yeah, but they are local bastards! Lol... 3year residency clause, limited number of certificates, remove all grow priv for pats and cgs, limit ownership pool w felony exclusions, and they even have a clause where the pats/cgs can sell their newly declared 'illegal' excesses of mj and genetivs with a 'one time' sale. Man, ghey get better and better at writing this shit. Plus they staked out a good share for the politicians with fees and revenues esp w state run labs, and likely minority ownership shares. getting better and better... If u own a dip. are they currently still open down there?

resinryder

Veteran
You know metro. shutting down illegal dispensaries for the safety of Nevada residents. Plus, nothing new about setting up a select few to feed off the sickest of the sick. Aslo, see the part about a $10.00 fee to be paid on every sale which will no doubt be passed on to the patient at point of sale on top of the per gram price.So buy an 8th for 55.00, pay the tax on it plus the 10.00 general fund fee.

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
The legalization bill died in committee. Just the dispensary bill is up for a vote now.

Have emailed and left calls for my reps. Little worried about that tho. Last time I did I got raided by swat. > Don't ask cause I'm not getting into it!
Damn fhurrhealz, wtf. Can citys enact no dispo laws, hense reating grow safe havens?

resinryder

Veteran
You know NV. Richest/most connected guy in town will buy the sheriff and town boards off to open the dispensary

resinryder

Veteran
Oh no it's still medical. But at $55.00 plus sales tax plus the $10.00 general fund fee per transaction per 1/8th

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Not cool at all. Wasn't NV mmj passed twice by vote of the populace? Not a good idea for the politicians to outlaw what was made specifically legal (growing your own) by referendum. From my quick research these fucking jerks can not amend the constitution in one vote they have to do it over two terms, and the NV leg only meets every other year.

:joint:

from NORML: Sixty-five percent of voters approved Question 9 on November 7, 2000, which amends the states’ constitution to recognize the medical use of marijuana. The law took effect on October 1, 2001. The law removes state-level criminal penalties on the use, possession and cultivation of marijuana by patients who have “written documentation” from their physician that marijuana may alleviate his or her condition.

Section 1 of Article 16 governs how the Nevada State Legislature can propose an amendment to the constitution.
An amendment can be proposed in either chamber of the state legislature.
A majority of the members of both chambers must approve the proposed amendment.
After the next general election for members of the state legislature, the proposed amendment must be considered again, and again approved by a majority of the members of both chambers.
The state legislature can call a special election for the proposed amendment(s) if they wish.
The amendment is then put to a vote of the people. If "a majority of the electors qualified to vote for members of the Legislature voting thereon" vote in favor of it, the measure becomes part of the constitution unless it is precluded by Section 2 of Article 19.

Anteah

Hydrosun, this was extremely helpful! Definitely see a bigger picture now, but quite frankly understand the purpose of this bill even less. If it is stepping on toes of the state's constitution, then what are they trying to achieve with this ban!?

I guess we will have to wait and see how it plays out..

Also, to everyone who has contacted the bill writers, thank you! I sure hope no raids will occur, but so, in my case I only grow what is allowed by law, thus they will only waste their time.

resinryder

Veteran
Hydrosun-wasn't it the usage of MMJ only passed by the people as a constitutional amendment. I thought the legislature had the task of coming up with the rule/law to implement the amendment which, as is the current case, allowed by the legislature..

resinryder

Veteran
I sure hope no raids will occur, but so, in my case I only grow what is allowed by law, thus they will only waste their time.

You don't really believe you're safe do ya? Have seen patients busted and put through the system for exactly what you are doing with even less plants. 1 was in a wheelchair!!

Anteah

Resinryder, that's terrible. I don't feel completely safe, to tell you the truth, but all the attourneys I have everspoke with said that even if you are arrested that no charges will stick if you following the law or if you are using an "affirmative defense". I have a friend that was "checked up" on by the cops and even had a bit over on usable and they just told him to get rid of it and didn't even take anything, and never came back.

I doubt every case will be that lucky, but if I am not violating the law the maximum they can do it arrest me just to later on let me out. Yes it will in extremely inconvenient, but I that is it.

Have you see anyone actually be charged and put away if they had the "allowed" amount and nothing over?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Hydrosun-wasn't it the usage of MMJ only passed by the people as a constitutional amendment. I thought the legislature had the task of coming up with the rule/law to implement the amendment which, as is the current case, allowed by the legislature..

You are correct the legislature is supposed to implement the will of th people and make sure cannabis is accessible to the people. 13 years later that means banning cannabis cultivation????

Article 4 of the NV Constitution.
Text of Section 38:
Use of Plant of Genus Cannabis for Medical Purposes
1. The legislature shall provide by law for:
(a) The use by a patient, upon the advice of his physician, of a plant of the genus Cannabis for the treatment or alleviation of cancer, glaucoma, acquired immunodeficiency syndrome; severe, persistent nausea of cachexia resulting from these or other chronic or debilitating medical conditions; epilepsy and other disorders characterized by seizure; multiple sclerosis and other disorders characterized by muscular spasticity; or other conditions approved pursuant to law for such treatment.
(b) Restriction of the medical use of the plant by a minor to require diagnosis and written authorization by a physician, parental consent, and parental control of the acquisition and use of the plant.
(c) Protection of the plant and property related to its use from forfeiture except upon conviction or plea of guilty or nolo contendere for possession or use not authorized by or pursuant to this section.
(d) A registry of patients, and their attendants, who are authorized to use the plant for a medical purpose, to which law enforcement officers may resort to verify a claim of authorization and which is otherwise confidential.
(e) Authorization of appropriate methods for supply of the plant to patients authorized to use it.
2. This section does not:
(a) Authorize the use or possession of the plant for a purpose other than medical or use for a medical purpose in public.
(b) Require reimbursement by an insurer for medical use of the plant or accommodation of medical use in a place of employment.
[Added in 2000. Proposed by initiative petition and approved and ratified by the people at the 1998 and 2000 general elections.]

resinryder

Veteran
Resinryder, that's terrible. I don't feel completely safe, to tell you the truth, but all the attourneys I have everspoke with said that even if you are arrested that no charges will stick if you following the law or if you are using an "affirmative defense". I have a friend that was "checked up" on by the cops and even had a bit over on usable and they just told him to get rid of it and didn't even take anything, and never came back.

I doubt every case will be that lucky, but if I am not violating the law the maximum they can do it arrest me just to later on let me out. Yes it will in extremely inconvenient, but I that is it.

Have you see anyone actually be charged and put away if they had the "allowed" amount and nothing over?

They like to make life inconvenient as possible. Run you through the legal system. the lawyers make money and everybody's happy.....but you
Then again, have seen them walk in, take all plants and plant material, then leave all equipment and cuts to start back up with. Not much rhyme or reason to what they do.

(e) Authorization of appropriate methods for supply of the plant to patients authorized to use it.

Ok that's what I was thinking. Not worth a shit to change it after all these years and guess they are coming to a different conclusion as how to make it available. Bastards.

Last edited:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
"supply of the plant to patients"

A plant is living organism with root, stalk, and leaf. The constitution of NV requires appropriate methods for supplying "The Plant". Outlawing growth of a plant is NOT an appropriate method of supplying "The Plant"

:joint:

resinryder

Veteran
I agree with you HS-Total BS. The bill has gone to the full assembly now. there is a very limited time to urge the legislature to either vote NO or remove the no grow section from the bill. Tell them the price will be a hardship and you won't be able to afford it and will have to more than likely turn your card in. Just for example....

These numbers go straight to the Legislative Opinion Poll. Once you call in you talk with a person who takes you concerns and this goes to every member of the assembly.
Just spoke with a very nice lady who was a big help-

Carson City 775-684-6827
Las Vegas-702-486-2626

Gotta go trim. later, lol

Anteah

Wow, nice job, Resinryder! Awesome!!! Yes, I called and emailed too. I sure hope something will change, because this is just silly.

resinryder

Veteran
Ok, just talked with my attorney who is also a former judge. He said that if the bill passes the only way to have the no grow amendment thrown out is if the Governor either vetoes or threatens to veto the bill because of the last minute bull shit that was added in.
Call his office direct and leave the message with his secretary or whoever it is that takes his calls.
Hi I'm xxxxxx from whatever part of Nevada you're from. Tell them that is is going to be an extreme hardship on you due to the price that dispensaries are known to charge. Tell them that this part of the bill just just added and has never been mentioned before. No even when they had the chance for public comment on the bill. That this is an underhanded way to do things that will financially harm the vast number of sick and dying patients here in Nevada. That you have no problem with dispensaries if that's what the state wants to do, but that this section will force you out of the program.

Or something along those lines.

remember to be soft spoke and none obtuse in any way. this lady is there to serve YOU. she did tell me that she would forward my concerns on to the governor. Whither or not she does is another story, lol....BUT, if enough of us call maybe, just maybe, this part of the bill, the no grow section, will be removed.

The Governors office number is-
1-775-684-5670 Brian Sandoval

**Remember....call your State Senator and your districts Representative to ask for their help too. If their office tells you that they don't have anything to do with the bill, as my Senators stupid bitch staff woman told me yesterday, politely tell them, "Well he is going to cast a vote for or against it isn't he. I mean, that's his job. Right?"

You can find your assemble member here-

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Legislator/A/Assembly/77th2013/

Your State Senator here-

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Legislator/A/Senate/77th2013/

Latest posts

Latest posts