What's new

San Diegos Finest Cuts #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Good Morning SD!

I started the day off with Maple Pecan toast from Dudleys, some good coffee :coffee:

and about a 1/2g of Sour Dubble. Been stumbling around the backyard somehow managing to get some yard work done.

Life be pretty good!
:smoker:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Humble....very nice man....ive heard from a couple peeps who would know that when discussing the best bang for your buck seed strains on the planet, JTR is near the top of the list...cant wait to have the time, and now the opportunity to grow a selected cut of it...thanks...(and that particular cut, wow, nice shots)
---medfinder, sik fukn t.a. man...very nice pics also!
--cali, good call man! i think thats two youve called this year just from a pic!

humbleguy

Veteran
Sour Dubble, 57 days

taking her in the morn;

picture.php

V

Voodoo

and about a 1/2g of Sour Dubble. Been stumbling around the backyard somehow managing to get some yard work done.

Life be pretty good!
:smoker:

LOL you and I are too much alike GT.

Sour Dubble, 57 days

taking her in the morn;

picture.php

Humble, again, wowing me. Such impressive work with everything you've run. Would you ever consider running the sour double for longer than 8 weeks? :)

MJMAVEN

^^^ Nice work humble, question though - do you flush? They're still so green. Are these in ebb/flow buckets? You ever try coco in the buckets? Thoughts on this? Thanks bro.

humbleguy

Veteran
I would rather have fully developed, sugar sweet, sticky buds over struggling, wanting to reproduce, under nourished flowers any day. I'm not really a firm believer in the flush. Would I cut back on nitrates and bump a little fulvic acid into the mix during the later stages of flowering? For sure. But only when mono-cropping an entire light with one cultivar on the same flowering schedule. Just follow your nose.

The smell of success is dank. This sour dubble is ready to be served!
picture.php

Grow Tech

Veteran
I would rather have fully developed, sugar sweet, sticky buds over struggling, wanting to reproduce, under nourished flowers any day. I'm not really a firm believer in the flush. Would I cut back on nitrates and bump a little fulvic acid into the mix during the later stages of flowering? For sure. But only when mono-cropping an entire light with one cultivar on the same flowering schedule. Just follow your nose.

The smell of success is dank. This sour dubble is ready to be served!
picture.php

I guess the end result is really what matters. I'd be happy to be a tester on any herb I've seen Humble post. I know my herb doesnt go to a nice white ash without a flush. In fact...I'm the dumb fu@k that was trying to flush with tap water and then wondering why I wasn't getting a complete burn.

humbleguy

Veteran
I know my herb doesnt go to a nice white ash without a flush..

If you want white ash just reduce your phosphate levels. You don't have to deprive your plants to get the taste your looking for. Don't upset your setup if it works. I have a large group to gather feedback from and they all love it.

Voodoo- I'm going to taker her down. She smells ripe and is oily to the touch. Have you run her? How long did she go?

Grape Fruit Haze 6 going on 7 weeks;

picture.php

Grow Tech

Veteran
If you want white ash just reduce your phosphate levels. You don't have to deprive your plants to get the taste your looking for.

Thanks Humble. So I had "flushed" with tap water for 2 weeks + prior to harvest. Would that not have given time for the phosphate levels to plummet or is it possible my plants were retaining phosphate as a reaction to some other environmental conditions ( ie pH, or whatever crap makes up the 500+ ppm my tap water carries).

When I was running hydro ebb & flow I only used R.O. water.... I did the conventional 2 week flush & didnt have the issues with cleanliness of burn. I've only come across this disappointment since I started using a coco/ perlite / peat mix but that coincided with me starting to use tap water.

While I'm asking open ended questions...
Whats your thoughts on Silica. I have had overall fewer issues ( ie PM ) since I started using it. I've been continuing fairly regular applications until 1/2 way through flower.

:whee:
I started today off with a bowl of OG topped with some melty ChemD Kief. Thank you to me benefactor!

G

guest5703

Whats your thoughts on Silica. I have had overall fewer issues ( ie PM ) since I started using it. I've been continuing fairly regular applications until 1/2 way through flower.
Same way I use it bro, and I never use any nutrient at full strength, but that's usually because I've got one or two bottles that are using the same chemicals but at different levels for different applications. Like when I'm using cal mag, I go low on that and low on my cocos "A" because they both have nitrogen and magnesium in them which you've got to compensate for and not over do it. When I use silica I dont worry about going lower on anything else, because (if I remember right) silica blast is just silica, nothing else so you dont need to lower something else to compensate....I used to use tap water GT, I think we've talked about it. You can get away with using tap water all the way until flush pretty much and then you should start using RO water.

Humble knows his shit...And I'm sure those buds smoke good....But could they not be better if the fans were yellow at least? I understand your cutting out certain things to get better smoke, but I was under the impression if your plant is green then there is still chlorophyll and possible nitrogen in them which would not be the cleanest smoke. I know you know your shit, but I don't think you'd really lose much weight or even see struggling if you flushed a bit in the end. I just cant imagine a healthy green plant(with some nutrients taking out) compared to a yellow plant(that has been flushed very) well would smoke better, theres just no way.

I am a connoisseur of sorts I like to believe, and if the leaves arent yellow at the end of flower, then I would assume I would have some complaining to do after I smoked a bowl...

IMO I always sound like a basher, which is not my intent, my bad but I really just want the best of the best of the best. In all aspects. Big buds, clean smoke, great flavor, yada yada. I know everyone else usually wants this as well....

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would you ever consider running the sour double for longer than 8 weeks? :)

---ive smoked her taken at 54 days and ive taken her all the way to 71...ive never seen such a window on a strain before...she is killer at any point...and i have no problems taking plants out to 10 weeks...im very patient...but w the dub, you can take her anywhere in there...even at 58 she will carry a heavy high and calming properties...and taste fantastic too..

V

Voodoo

I haven't ever had an issue with taste of my plants and I never flush. Granted, I use "dirt" (canna terra professional plus) and water with 15% - 25% runoff.

The soil I use is a bit nitrogen hot, I don't have nute values for the soil - but they veg HARD for about 2 weeks in flower when I first toss em in. (sometimes temperamental clones burn from the soil mix)

Flowering nutes:

botanicare soil pro bloom (1-4-5) 15ml / gal
botanicare hydroplex (0-10-6) 3ml /gal (from week 7 on)
botanicare sweet 20 ml / gal
botanicare liquid karma 10ml / gal

I read an article in Cannabis culture from one of their growers who went on and on about the science behind harsh smoke and showed every plant he was running - loaded with nitrogen till chop. The author seemed to think that the biggest contribution to harsh smoke was magnesium and calcium levels.

I dont have the article any longer, but it had something to do with the plant having a high uptake of one nutrient early in flower and then relying on its own resources later in flowering. Meanwhile, the average person was continuing to dope with calmag and supplying the plant too much magnesium which caused harsh smoke.

Don't quote me on it though, just going off the hazy memory banks.:tiphat:

Sub - good info there, when i finally get my hands on a Sour Double I fully intend to run her until she starts to die just to see whats possible. Whaddya think, 11 weeks?

S

Shan Diego

While I'm asking open ended questions...
Whats your thoughts on Silica...

I love it! I have consistently developed thicker, stronger stalks since I started using it. I've also noticed that my stems feel slippery...you can actually feel the silicone in there, believe it or not.

I run a few different varieties, and I have yet to see a plant that does not thrive in veg on just CNS17 and half strength silica blast...in RO, of course...

Grow Tech

Veteran
Hey Voodoo. You're running premium "dirt" for sure & the PBP line is pseudo organic.

I learned my lesson about using CalMag too deep into flower when I got more leafy growth than I wanted. Since I've gone to using tap water I'm not as concerned about that addition though I still do sometimes in veg.

and...I feel taste, "harshness" & clean burn are 3 related but seperate criteria.

I too use PBP and the lack of clean burn I was seeing didnt necesarily come with a bad taste or harshness. I'm willing to bet it could have tasted better but the real issue to me was starring into a dusted bowel & seeing black ash.

Grow Tech

Veteran
I love it! I have consistently developed thicker, stronger stalks since I started using it. I've also noticed that my stems feel slippery...you can actually feel the silicone in there, believe it or not.

I run a few different varieties, and I have yet to see a plant that does not thrive in veg on just CNS17 and half strength silica blast...in RO, of course...

Yep, I moved to CNS17 for veg on your recommendation & have been really happy! I've been using full strength "silica blast"...maybe I'll back off some.

J

*Journeyman*

The author seemed to think that the biggest contribution to harsh smoke was magnesium and calcium levels.
Yes magnesium levels will influence the quality of the smoke big time. If anything cut Mg levels about halfway through flower and for sure none the last few weeks. The timing is probably a bit different cutting things off with soil compared to hydro though. I've chopped very dark green plants, 100% organic in soil, and smoked very smooth and sweet with virtually no cure. Don't know about the calcium thing since it can't translocate in plant tissue so don't know how a 'flush' would affect calcium levels cause don't think it will go anywhere. If anything most growers plants are calcium deficient anyway. Trace element content can also affect smokeability more so than N from what I understand. You need them traces though as they form the backbone of the plant's enzyme system for starters.

If you wanna get an idea of how much Mg MAY influence smoke quality locate a small piece of elemental/metal magnesium and burn it...LOL. Just don't look at the flame cause a bit bright. Elemental potassium and sodium, metals also, burn in water and they really need to be stored in an oil of some sort. Elemental calcium is also a metal but don't know about it's characteristics in this regard though. For sure flaming Mg puts on quite a show at night and can understand how it may influence any harshness you might be experiencing.

L

Lord Humungus

Whaddya think, 11 weeks?

i think thatd be 3 extra weeks you'd have wasted not smoking it :blowbubbles:

to me the differences between 57 day & 70 day were minimal... shes a little tartier taken earlier though maybe a c-u-n-t hair stronger taken later i didnt notice any benificial weight gain to substantiate the extra time investment either

Last edited:

SmokeTrees

"Hey bud, lets party!"
Veteran
ya the sour dubble is definitely tastier when cut before 60 days. She does seem a little more swollen/dense when taken to 70, but i almost like the texture/density of the buds better when under 60.
Potentcy doesnt seem to change to much, like Lord Humungus said, it may be just a tad stronger when taken longer. But its for sure way more tasty earlier.

OsWiZzLe

these are my f3 seeds of sensi seeds hashplant circa 1993...gifted to me by a member no longer around here..but i am thankful none the less...i am excited to see if we find something worthy...certainly see indica! haha...gt oughta like that!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

#2 pretty much died on me..along w #1(gone) and #5..but she kinda decided she/he wanted to make it and kinda busted outta the dead top sideways....so i decided to keep #5 around...heres a pic of #2
picture.php

....heres #5...way behind the others...but she/he finally popped...not really sure why i let her hang around after she looked like she died...will keep track and she if she is 'special'
picture.php

Subrob...nice pics bro....i grew out 40 or 50 of these same seeds and found the Northern Lights #1 Pheno str8 Neville pheno......if u find any males that arent Indica Dom save em!!! most of the Indica phenos werent anything special....i had so many....the NL#1 Pheno has the best taste and yields like nothing I have seen b4....just ask APE he was over here the other day looking at it...not to mention the herb will put any Vet smoker to ZzZzZ within hours bet on it lol

I dunno if anyone paid attention....but im 2 weeks into vegging my Iranian beans....my uncle brought me back almost a 1,000 seeds from the biggest hash making region in the country......100% Indica Dom and can anyone say CBD :) who would have thought the first person to bring Iranian Genetics out into the scene would be doing it here in lovely So Cal ;) and by the way....there is no such thing as Iranian Auto Flower lol such a joke...

Once i find the best male.....I'm cross it to my NL#1 and find a Super Male...cross that FOB to everything!

G

guest5703

Funny I always use cal mag from veg til week 6 in flower....I think the mag helps to reduce the burning of the leaves, and the cal to help twisting/turning of leaves... When I first started to see something I thought was a magnesium/calcium deficiency I began to run cal mag and have never had problems since...Mind you I never run it at full strength!

Status
Not open for further replies.