What's new

Rusty's Garden

...well I thought this was a blueberry hence the funny shape, but suprise, its a #3 mislabeled. I describe it before in another thread, so sorry if this is repetitive, but I dont know if I had harvested and smoked it at that point, cant remember, it produces about 60% more than the blueberry, and has a similar smell, but less funk more lemony skunk. It definately lingers when you open a jar. just thought it looked kinda funny with all those spears jammed together, goes to show you cant prune 'em all the same. (Woulda when with four mains if I knew what it was)
picture.php

Heres the tall cola, its funny because the buds grow straight up along the stem, not really "out" at all, just like the spears go straight up in the top picture. I feel like if you let this go untopped youd end up with quite the bat of a main cola. This is the pheno that won the P.O.T.M. last month.
picture.php

And lastly, a friend shared this a while ago, and said they thought of me haha.
picture.php

Last edited:
I put that organic container into flower, man they were praying hard towards the light, that was nice to see, I gave em a good pruning and will give them one more good cleanup after about ten days into flower. I cant wait, it'll be my first real side by side of the blueberry in coco vs. soil, probably not till around mid July though. Seeds are up too, so thats cool.
picture.php

Getting back into the swing of things with the soil, mixed up a batch of kelp/alfalfa tea for foliar. I rehydrate the kelp meal in a mason jar then pour off the excess water and keep the rehydrated kelp in the fridge to use all week (Im pretty sure this came from CC on ADS). I mix a some up in a gallon with alfalfa shake it up, let it sit for a while, shake it again, and filter off the chunkage. I spray though the first week of flower. Turned the compost and found a few lemon thyme plants I had tossed in before winter growing quite nicely, so bonus, talk about a serious terp profile haha, lemon thyme is where its at.

What's up Rusty!

Just read through, kick ass work!

I might have to find me some blueberry now...

Peace
GC

Thanks for checking it out, lots of the good stuff to come, im a lot more confident in soil and have fun doing it, coco definately had . Im a true lover of homestead outdoor gardening/farming, so your thread has been wicked fun, everbody who read this should check it out. I love all the tool, tractor, farm management talk lol.

Seeds are up, started them straight into soil, I wouldnt do it any other way unless I was really worried about getting em started.

growingcrazy

Thanks for checking it out, lots of the good stuff to come, im a lot more confident in soil and have fun doing it, coco definately had . Im a true lover of homestead outdoor gardening/farming, so your thread has been wicked fun, everbody who read this should check it out. I love all the tool, tractor, farm management talk lol.

Seeds are up, started them straight into soil, I wouldnt do it any other way unless I was really worried about getting em started.

This is my go to for seed starts also. It can't get any more natural and no fussing with tap roots.

Thanks for the thread plug! I am putting up 8,000 feet of 12.5 gauge electric fence this week. It is a riot.

GC

This is my go to for seed starts also. It can't get any more natural and no fussing with tap roots.

Thanks for the thread plug! I am putting up 8,000 feet of 12.5 gauge electric fence this week. It is a riot.

GC

Now thats a chore, in my area you can get grants from the Ag dept. To cover electric fencing fairly easy. I know a place very very well that got an $80,000 grant for a fence, but the money had to be put down up front, then paid back by the grant. If you can swing it with they are good folks to have on your side, at least round here. Have you done electric fence before? Wood posts? Hammer or screw-in insulators? A weedwacker with a brush blade and pole pruner are going to be your new best friends if rhey arent already, keeping stuff off the fence is a chore you gotta keep up on. Also (first hand mistake), cut all the trees that are going to eff with your fence, before you put the fence up haha.....pulling trees backwards up a hill with a snatch block and tractor while you cut is no fun.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:laughing:

I was an arborist - you know how many times we'd get called in to take trees down after a fence has gone in? A lot.
That's cause there's a lot of gentleman farmers around here. :D

:laughing:
That's cause there's a lot of gentleman farmers around here. :D

Is that what there called? Never heard em called anything that nice haha. I could really get into that topic but its probably best if I dont. If you dont own a manure spreader, you cant really call yourself a farmer around here...I was raised Haw'n and Gee'n. Wish I still was.
picture.php

growingcrazy

Now thats a chore, in my area you can get grants from the Ag dept. To cover electric fencing fairly easy. I know a place very very well that got an $80,000 grant for a fence, but the money had to be put down up front, then paid back by the grant. If you can swing it with they are good folks to have on your side, at least round here. Have you done electric fence before? Wood posts? Hammer or screw-in insulators? A weedwacker with a brush blade and pole pruner are going to be your new best friends if rhey arent already, keeping stuff off the fence is a chore you gotta keep up on. Also (first hand mistake), cut all the trees that are going to eff with your fence, before you put the fence up haha.....pulling trees backwards up a hill with a snatch block and tractor while you cut is no fun.

We didn't have the opportunity to use any grants this year, just didn't have the cash flow. Hopefully next year. There are so many grants available nowadays it isn't funny. I encourage anyone to check into it!

I have done some electric fencing but nothing on this scale. The last I did was single wire around 3 acres.

This one is 5 strand, around roughly 15 acres with multiple paddocks built within. I'm using wood posts at all corners and intersections with 6' T-post driven 24" deep every 25 feet. Screw-in insulators w/ stainless hardware. I have about a 2500' stretch through hardwoods on not a bit of level ground(none of my property is). That will be last... :biggrin:

I had to pick up a set of radio ear protection today for running the trimmer with a brush blade...lol

You guys are a hoot...looking forward to much BS in the future!

yocs

I so wish I had the money to quit my job and buy a shitload of land to become a full time farmer. I got just enough of a back yard now to raise my mini pigs and some poultry. My neighbors love to remind me that I don't own a farm though. They hate my geese and chickens.... To much noise for them I guess. Oh well were zoned for agricultural so f em.

growingcrazy

I so wish I had the money to quit my job and buy a shitload of land to become a full time farmer. I got just enough of a back yard now to raise my mini pigs and some poultry. My neighbors love to remind me that I don't own a farm though. They hate my geese and chickens.... To much noise for them I guess. Oh well were zoned for agricultural so f em.

You are doing what you enjoy and that is what matters most. Everyone should have chickens, it is amazing how much you learn by watching animals and most people can't understand that not having raised any.

I am in the beginning stages of life as a full time farmer. One saying has helped change my life/spending habits/work habits.

"Make more or spend less"

I have found much more joy in spending less, which requires less work for money.

Growingcrazy, thats going to be beautiful! I think it would be fun to set up a cable dog run along the length of the fence, and just put a couple goats on it, no trimmer required, problem solved.

Yocs, thats awesome, screw your neighbors, tell em if they dont back off youll get guinea hens and peacocks, thats how you make some real noise haha. Have you heard of Idaho pasture pigs? Ive never raised them but Ive been told there a good option for small properties. Apparently they have an upturned nose so they arent rooters, smaller than average, and are gentle moms.

Thanks for hanging with the thread guys, I promise its going to get better!

yocs

That goat I idea is great. Those guys eat everything and you aren't kidding about guineas they are great for eating ticks also. Haven't heard of the pasture pigs but bout to find out.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's pretty good right now w/ just a few like-minded guys yakking. :D

Goat-scaping has become popular here in the last few yrs. There's a couple of fledging businesses here w/ portable fencing for eradicating poison ivy & bittersweet and other evasive nuisance plants.
Even one of the conservation land non-profits has a herd they move around various properties, so they don't have to mow and worry about hitting rocks and the endangered eastern box turtles.

Guineas are real popular here too, just for their tick-eating ways, as we have a high Lyme disease rate.

Thats funny, I knew an old timer who swore you could build immunity to poison ivy by drink milk from goats that have been on a patch...idk probably, jewel weed is where its at...that and Technu Extreme. Guineas do do a number on ticks. I wish I could show an animal cleared hillside I know well, It was locked up with every kinda vine and multiflora you could imagine and its pretty darn nice looking now, sheep and cows though.

:peacock::peacock::peacock:

I know some of you are big movie guys, anybody have a soft spot for the written word? I read nonfiction almost exclusively, and get picked on for it haha, but I'll delve into fiction, on rare (Wendell Berry, Patrick Mcmanus) occasion. Two of my favorite books of all time are "Tall Trees, Tough Men", about the history of pre-mechanized timber harvesting in New England, and "Adventures in Wood Finishing" a book by renowned finisher George Frank. They are my favorites because they are both written in a way that makes you feel like you Grampa is telling you a probably mostly true story.

It may sound surprising, but I would really like to reccomend either of Nick Offerman's books, "Paddle Your Own Canoe" and "Gumption", and if you can get them through audible, he reads them both. I get the feeling he's a real deal dude, and I always love how so many folks who seems to have similarities in there morals and ethics, tend to be drawn to the same hobbies and interests, and both of these books made me laugh out loud from some of these similarities, (proper food, proper woodworking, proper love, proper cannabis) I bet a few of you would feel the same.

If anyone wants to shout out a few of there favorites, I'd love to hear from you.

CoCoSativas

:peacock::peacock::peacock:

I know some of you are big movie guys, anybody have a soft spot for the written word? I read nonfiction almost exclusively, and get picked on for it haha, but I'll delve into fiction, on rare (Wendell Berry, Patrick Mcmanus) occasion. Two of my favorite books of all time are "Tall Trees, Tough Men", about the history of pre-mechanized timber harvesting in New England, and "Adventures in Wood Finishing" a book by renowned finisher George Frank. They are my favorites because they are both written in a way that makes you feel like you Grampa is telling you a probably mostly true story.

It may sound surprising, but I would really like to reccomend either of Nick Offerman's books, "Paddle Your Own Canoe" and "Gumption", and if you can get them through audible, he reads them both. I get the feeling he's a real deal dude, and I always love how so many folks who seems to have similarities in there morals and ethics, tend to be drawn to the same hobbies and interests, and both of these books made me laugh out loud from some of these similarities, (proper food, proper woodworking, proper love, proper cannabis) I bet a few of you would feel the same.

If anyone wants to shout out a few of there favorites, I'd love to hear from you.

How high

Latest posts

Latest posts