What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rust proofing concrete remesh cages

dono

GreenWire is a total joke. I remember driving an hour and a half each way to get that stuff last season. Two thumbs down

dono

Not sure how the zinc spray coating stuff works, but everything seems to require cleaning of that oil first before treatment. Perhaps with the exception of hot dip galvanizing, but I think that's out of the question for most here.

So far, washing the oil off and probably giving it a few good coats of outdoor paint looks like the best bet. Short of using a 6' kiddie pool to electrogalvanize.

Wondering what the best method of application is. Over a plastic or metal catch pan, with the roll standing vertically. Then generously coat with a paintbrush? I'm not sure about spray paint , seems wasteful but maybe not.

HillMizer

Can't seem to find rolls of 7' wide remesh , only 5'.

Which stores carry them, and what's a fair price? About $100 for a 150' roll of 5' at Home Depot and Lowe's, which is 13.3 cents per sqft. Hoping it isn't over $150 for the 7'
All the little hardware stores carry it near me. Trying a more pro building supply store than Home depot of the are not getting it. Local stores beat HD prices sometimes and in cultivation areas they stock odd things like 40×100 black poly film. Prices for things like rebar are high at home depot compared to real building supply company.

Good luck Dono

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I sent him rep and told him to check Meeks ... posting it here for the rest that read this .. Meeks Building Supply carry 7 x 100 concrete remesh .. it has 6x6 inch squares .

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I know it has smaller holes compared to the concrete mesh but I've got rolls of galvanized sheep fencing with 4 inch squares that have been outside for years with no rust. The ocean is in my back yard. Salt spray all the time, everywhere.

dono

All the little hardware stores carry it near me. Trying a more pro building supply store than Home depot of the are not getting it. Local stores beat HD prices sometimes and in cultivation areas they stock odd things like 40×100 black poly film. Prices for things like rebar are high at home depot compared to real building supply company.

Good luck Dono

My experience has been quite the opposite.

When I called around all the concrete etc supply shops, they ALL quoted me much higher prices than Home Depot. On remesh and lumber.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
using the zinc spray would get expensive ..I know I got some..its CROWN 707 cold galvanizing compound in spray cans 1 800 766 7655.....from my welding days.you need to clean and prep surface before using..no oil/dirt or rust or it comes off.hey that rubber stuff for roofs and such only available in spray cans is now in gallons.. and you prob could get bigger quantity direct but cant remember name maybe FLEX SEAL ...they coat a screen boat and make it float tv commercial ...yeehaw

Last edited:

40degsouth

Hi everyone, interesting thread.
Perhaps if you tie on a sacrificial anode (zinc) from a chandlery shop, this might stop the rusting; we use them on lobster pots for longevity. This is a cheap and effective solution, used in the maritime industry, to prevent rusting.
I've also had the chafing problem and solved it by cutting, cheap, black pvc hose to length, (of mesh size) a drop saw or guillotine is pretty good for this job, splitting it in half, with a good pair of sharp scissors and clipping them on when l pull a limb through. I carry a bag of them around the garden with me.
I'll also add, that l leave them on and even though l may not have a limb through that particular hole the next year, they become excellent habitat for spiders, which l love to see in my garden.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Latest posts