What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rust proofing concrete remesh cages

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
rebar in the ground around your containers then slip pvc over that, like building a greenhouse. and maybe use twine/hemp around that to support branches? maybe just invest in a GH and do it full sun?

HillMizer

picture.php
Maybe tool handle dip? Plasti-dip. It's flexible. These cages are on their 5th year holding up about 6-7# average

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rust wont hurt anything

rust wont hurt anything

I see a few experienced growers in here telling you that the rust is not a factor ...not sure what problems it causes you , ive been using it for a bit now with no problems at all . All the plants in the picture have a large ring of 7 foot concrete remesh helping them stand strong and its been rusting for a good while. Never seen a branch sawed through ... perhaps you live in a very windy environment ? Good luck

dono

Cool tip; however upon go ogling it seems only a prep method prior to actual longterm coating, and not the actual protection itself on its own

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I pound a lot of galvanized nails at work ... my guess is that even if the remesh was galvanized it would still saw through your plants if the rust is causing it ... galvanized steel is pretty rough stuph ... im pretty sure it wouldnt solve the roughness problem if the rust is causing it to saw through then so would the galvi wire .

dono

Babbabud, you're probably right, depending on the quality of the galvanized finish.

The rusty cages saw thru branches noticeably faster than any other support material I've tried.

HillMizer

Maybe you should build a wind farm. I saw your post about rain coats for foliar. Are you trying to grow in the Tehachapis?

dono

You know, life happens and one must adapt.

At the time I acquired this property, growing was the last thing on my mind.

Situations changed and here I am on my third season.

Re: wind farm, I sometimes joke that I should put windmill generators up, and do a massive indoor grow instead of doing an outdoor and dealing with all this wind...

Last edited:

dono

Can't seem to find rolls of 7' wide remesh , only 5'.

Which stores carry them, and what's a fair price? About $100 for a 150' roll of 5' at Home Depot and Lowe's, which is 13.3 cents per sqft. Hoping it isn't over $150 for the 7'

Surfgimp

Forget HD. I got my 7' remesh at ProBuild, Abbott St Salinas CA. Try googling San Lorenzo Lumber for yards in your area.

Cheers

The English Cut

I had this problem on a few of my cages last season too - high winds here also. I tried tying them really tightly to the cage to avoid movement, but that didn't really work too well, still enough movement to fuck up the branch although not sawing right through.

This year I'll be wrapping some duct tape around the rusty bar where it will be in contact with the branches and I just realised I've got a whole roll of shitty seep-irrigation hose that i could easily cut to size, make a slit and slip over the bar so I'm gonna try that too.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Has zinc spray/coating been mentioned? ..dunno if it would work, but i doubt it's hard to find ..atleast CRC and Wurth is making the spray-kind.
Zinc galvanized surface is smoother than a rusted one for sure.