What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rust proofing concrete remesh cages

dono

Apparently galvanized concrete remesh isn't very common and very difficult to source. I haven't been able to find much else in terms of strength & cost that comes close to the 5'x150' rolls of non-galvanized remesh from Home Depot.

Livestock fencing isn't anywhere near as rigid as this stuff. However I absolutely hate the rust that forms on them after only one season through the elements.

Is there an easy way to rust-proof this stuff? Seems like there's a coating of oil (to slow down rusting during transport and storage) from the factory so a simple spray paint job probably won't work well. I suppose a wash with soapy water & drying out might work prior to paint, but seems like a pain.

Surfgimp

Rattle cans are expensive. When I made my 3'x7' remesh towers I finished them with brown gloss latex, left over from house ext facia job. Shot them with a Wagner airless. Its been 3 seasons, they haven't rusted thru (mostly)

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Well, rust can be a good thing. It will only rust so far into the metal, and the oxidised layer will protect it somewhat. Those USJ girders are left to rust, as a stage of manufacture.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go to Meeks and buy the 7 foot by 100 roll of remesh.... I dont see any problem with the rust .. been running the stuph for a while now

dono

The rusty surface seems to SAW through rubbing branches a whole lot better than smooth non-rusty ones, in my high-end environment. *shrug*

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
The rusty surface seems to SAW through rubbing branches a whole lot better than smooth non-rusty ones, in my high-end environment. *shrug*

are you using silica? that helps to beef your stalks up so they can handle it and. What about spray panting the remesh white? seems like it would be good for plants specially if the sun is out?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
IDK, maybe try and tie your branches up so they are in the middle of the squares? Im sure it will still rub but do it that way and they won't be laying ontop of the remesh.

Or take a piece of wire loom or make a cut long ways on some drip hose then slide it in on over the wire to protect it from the rust. For how much it costs to coat a cage it cant be worth the work??? I get 3 seasons out of each cage and each one only cost $5-7. Maybe a roofing tar might hold up but shits messy...

dono

I've tried everything from using super soft ties, standard stretchy green garden ties to pencil-thick rubber coated twist ties to garden velcro, and also tried covering the cage with plastic 1/4" tubing slit down the sides. All help to some degree but the untreated rusty cage beats up and slices thru plants like no other.

Last edited:

dono

Hillside Growin, I did exactly that. It's a LOT of very tedious work and might be cheaper and easier to just use new cages each season. Seems real wasteful.

It would be a pretty cool project to electro-galvanize it in a 55gallpm drum.