What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Runner's High!

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Since I had to quit smoking the herb due to probation UA's, I've decided to take up running..or, jogging at a very slow pace..lol.

I really just started, so I'm still building up stamina and I can only run for like 30 seconds at a time, then I walk for a minute or two after that.

You see, I had a tumor removed from my left knee when I was 18..it tore up my leg big time, even eating away most of the femur bone. It's all metal plates and screws and what not from my mid outer thigh to just past my knee.

But I got up the courage today to go jogging for the first time in a long time..it felt really good man..like, refreshing...I guess I got a runner's high..I only went for about half a mile, but man, it felt so energizing and good to just jog along the river and then walk a bit.

After I was done, I did feel almost 'high'...I want to go again tonight, but maybe I shouldn't push it seeing as how I'm kinda new to this whole jogging thing..got some good shoes though and that helps a lot, so I look forward to hearing from any other runners here with tips and advice.

have a good run!

slender

once u get up to 3k running pace after a year of jogging heavy. swim has heard u can get really high by running those at a fast pace and enjoying Gatorade after.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
3k is like, 1.8 miles..dang, when I can do that, I'll be golden...I can only go for like 30 seconds at a time now..but with a consistent schedule, I should be able to soon enough.

I'm trying out yoga for the first time in a long time, too...but all these hotties on youtube get me distracted and I don't want to yoga, lol...ugh, so many hotties doing yoga..

Genghis Kush

running releases endocannabinoids .

I run everyday, as soon as I wake up.

Its one of the greatest things, I think.

We are built to run, millions of years of evolution have made humans the greatest long distance runner on the planet.

Our brains are designed to enjoy running.

It floods my brain with feel good chemicals.

keep working at it, it never stops getting better, the high gets more intense the more you do it and your brain becomes used to creating cannabinoids.

enjoy

Mr.Miner

Congrats! Running is where it is at....as a suggestion- go to a running store and get outfitted with the right running shoes. It is critical. When I first started running I ran in sneaks and got shin splits that are still with me to this day- 15 years later....Correct running shoes are the best investment. Enjoy!

slender

3k is like, 1.8 miles..dang, when I can do that, I'll be golden...I can only go for like 30 seconds at a time now..but with a consistent schedule, I should be able to soon enough.

I'm trying out yoga for the first time in a long time, too...but all these hotties on youtube get me distracted and I don't want to yoga, lol...ugh, so many hotties doing yoga..

You'll get there :)

slender

Congrats! Running is where it is at....as a suggestion- go to a running store and get outfitted with the right running shoes. It is critical. When I first started running I ran in sneaks and got shin splits that are still with me to this day- 15 years later....Correct running shoes are the best investment. Enjoy!

Miner I ran xc in highschool ran a 5:50 mile back in the day. If I needed to I could do it again.

slender

He's right about the shoes once you start to build more endurance you'll beed to ice your legs and wear proper shoes. Do this and you'll be fine. Don't run each day and swim to losen joints. Swimming is my favorite method of cardio for my body the natural feeling of swimming is good for joints and slender people like myself

At my greatest running time I could do the 21 km half marathons - during training I would get high each time I felt like I could not go longer but kept on going. I would recommend biking though if you have issues with your legs - much easier on them plus you can brag about longer distances hehe. =)

A friend of mine and I would use to get drunk on 5'o clock vodka (cheapest shit you buy in plastic bottles in MI) and go "raging" which is essentially destructive running - run, run more, and fuck shit up. Not so proud of it now but still funny as hell, the shit ya do when ya 17. (We would also do Tour de Franzia - each person with that giant box of wine strapped to their bike...wtf...)

Props for being active again my friend.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I get a kayakers high,, and its great when I stop I am sitting down,,,and when I start again I don't have to get up...yeehaw..

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Running is awesome..I'm going to go bed early so I can get up and go running when i wake up...gonna be sweet.

Yeah, being active is fun, too...but something about running that's almost like soulful, I dunno...it's just you and the ground pulsing together to accomplish the run..the breathing is like a mantra, in and out, in and out.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Just getting ready to go running, waiting for it to cool down a bit though..it's freaking hot here right now.

I'm stoked to get out on the trail and do some jogging/walking.

waveguide

Veteran
a nonmoving option (could be a plus or minus) what i like to do is stand on one leg a lot.

easy to do, no sweat, no strain, very effective for strengthening. good foundation for movement. well and other stance stuff. hopefully enticing exercise qualities for sedentary people.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Just got back from my jog/walk..jogged a little more than yesterday, but it was still tough on my knee..hurts like hell as usual, but I feel like I got a nice mood lift from it.

Almost stepped on a snake too..yikes!

Genghis Kush

pushing through pain is how you get to the happy brain chemical place in running.
and it makes you feel stronger which leads to more self confidence.

careful with your knee though, if you push to hard you put yourself out of commission.