What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Runner's High!

Sundance

GREAT sport

Get up ... go for it ... knock yourself into amazing shape

Great for the body ... great for the mind too

All the very best

Sundance

ronbo51

Veteran
I would not push through or ignore pain. Pain is your body telling you to stop and address something important. I ran a lot. I was always athletic. Running will get you high sure as shit. I loved running miles and miles every day. I did a few half marathons and had dreams of doing a full marathon one day. I pushed through minor and then significant pain until eventually I had to have my hip replaced. The only running I can do now is on an elliptical since there is no concussion unlike road running where every step you are airborne and at the end of each stride you crash down on those hips and knees. Walking is better for you in every way. Get your cardio elsewhere. Don't overdue it. Never run in pain or discomfort. Sprinting in short bursts is better for you then grinding out miles. I know it gets you high, but so does meth.

Genghis Kush

Yea, I didn't mean run through the pain of an injury. Injuries must be healed.

if you don't push through discomfort, than you won't achieve very much.

try to run on trials, if you can. avoid concrete.

waveguide

Veteran
one thing about balance (hehe.. "one thing about balance..")

TCM and old people i see around the world say feet are important.. if i stand on one foot for a moment, it will affect muscles through my entire body.. the strains of a muscle group in my back or neck are reflected in the feet.

what i find is that if i do a slow handstand, or stretch my feet on the ground in the same way, it stretches out muscles everywhere and gives me information i didn't expect about complexed stresses.

Mr.Miner

I finished a full marathon a few years back and the only way I could have possibly done so was to train nice and slow and only increase my distance by 10% or less each week. I feel it is important to underscore this technique...It was tough to pull the reigns in and not go further than the scheduled mileage for the day because I was so hooked on the runners high.
Initially I couldn't run more that 1/4 mile at best but slowly and methodically I worked up to 26.2. It was a great feeling of accomplishment and I encourage anyone who has a marathon on their bucket list to give it a go- but wisely and slowly.

Just got back from my jog/walk..jogged a little more than yesterday, but it was still tough on my knee..hurts like hell as usual, but I feel like I got a nice mood lift from it.

Just wondering since ya trying to stay off the THC for test purposes... would salves or fat based ointments help your joint pains or is that off limits?

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Polishdankchron, ya know that's a good question and I'm really not sure. My knee could really use some salve though, I know that much.

Not going jogging tonight since I already did two days in a row, but probably tomorrow for sure.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I get that high feeling from any exercise which pushes me a bit. I do martial arts type workouts or bodyweight stuff. Endorphins to counter the pain, or that is what I read it is.

The high is as good as any pot high but not in a messed up way. Probably what a little opium is like.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Running is fun when your fast and then having fun just takes over as one gets older.

One thing as I learned from running and knowing your body is when
I smoke an indica,I would cramp up more to the point of not running but walking.

A sativa makes me go a little longer and I can control the cramps if it shows up and slow down to a jog unlike the indica that would make me stop and walk.

I would make sure I'm ok before I run and after the running I would stretch it out for 5-10 minutes just sitting on the floor and heads to knees type of thing.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
hops sup , sucks ya on probation , been there done that ,and i got hooked on fitness . i like to run / walk , i run sprints and then walk, the sprinting is easier on my knees , cause i kind of glide over the ground and not pound on it , when i do jog i do it on a trail, way better for my knees to have earth under them and not pavement or concrete , sprints will build up lung power so much faster, i have a soccer feild across the street from my house and i like to sprint there, its fantastic , try sprints , its what runners do for cardio work , hill sprints ftw !

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but my left knee is a wreck..had a tumor on it in when I was 18...so there is a very paper thin femur bone, and am supported by plates and metal and what not..I don't have full range of motion either..it's called post traumatic arthritis, it sucks...with that said...

I could try sprints, but I kinda do that anyway...maybe not sprinting, but jogging then walking.

It seems that even only two days of doing this and my legs feel way strong, like almost buff, lol...I guess you see results very fast by jogging (cause' I don't run, lol).

I just need to get my diet dialed in again...it's going okay, because I eat tons of fruit and veggies, but still, I'm a little over weight...just barely.

OneStonedPony

I got messed up in a bad wreck when I was 19. Was in bed for over 6 months and lost a lot of muscle. I started off walking for 10 minutes a day every two day, then 15 minutes and kept adding time slowly. When I could walk for 45 minutes with ease, I stared jogging. You're right your body dumps those feel good chems up top and you are high from jogging. After I got stronger I stopped. I wished I would have stuck with it. I liked that feeling, maybe I'll see if I can do it on a bike, cause I don't mind climbing the hill if I can coast down it. lol

ronbo51

Veteran
A lot of guys my age turn to biking because its easy on the joints. As much as I dislike biking and bikers you hardly ever see any that are overweight so it must be pretty good exercise. One biker I know gets on his bike every Sunday morning and rides 70 miles to some breakfast joint and then turns around and rides back and he's back shortly after noon. I've never liked road biking. I hate the seats and the posture and I would know how every car that passes me secretly wishes he could send me flying into the ditch.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
So, it's only been 3 jogs since earlier this week..I'm already up to a mile, mostly jogging..probably 60 percent jogging/ 40 percent walking.

I've really built up stamina fast I'd say..leg feels great and I feel great! It's such a good feeling to set a goal and accomplish it, no matter how small.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Just went for a morning jog and man was I surprised...I jogged a whole .15 miles without stopping! I'm pretty stoked for such a small distance, but it's totally awesome for me and my goals.

It was pretty humid out which kinda helped my lube my knee it seems..just the right amount and my leg felt somewhat 'elastic' is the only way to put it..rubbery, loose...felt good man!

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Improved my mile time in the jog/walk to like 15 minutes today..i'm pretty stoked I can do that much in only a couple weeks.

Jogging has got me totally forgetting how good weed is...still not smoking, but the jogging is giving me some sort of mood boost similar to weed., feels good man!

Sisu

Veteran
I love running, I kind of live for it. Recently had a grade II MCL sprain with some tearing. Taking my time getting back to running but have been aggressively rehabbing the knee, also working on quad/ham strength and core conditioning to minimize knee problems. I don't even want to think about not being able to run. A lot. Blar!

Good luck with your journey. You will be amazed how quickly you can progress.

slender

Just got back from my jog/walk..jogged a little more than yesterday, but it was still tough on my knee..hurts like hell as usual, but I feel like I got a nice mood lift from it.

Almost stepped on a snake too..yikes!

do u have a knee brace for jogging?

slender

Improved my mile time in the jog/walk to like 15 minutes today..i'm pretty stoked I can do that much in only a couple weeks.

Jogging has got me totally forgetting how good weed is...still not smoking, but the jogging is giving me some sort of mood boost similar to weed., feels good man!

way to go night owl keep it up

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
yup, I've got a knee brace..it really helps,too. Just kinda keeps the left knee stable.