What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Road Kill Skunk (Blueskiesvienna)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm all for it! if you can isolate some true roadkill skunk genetics ill be first in line for seeds or clones. 1980 skunk may very well been pure sativa. I was talking more late 80s stuff as I was In high school then. SSSC stuff...etc.

Sativa Hybrids are not pure.. That's why its called hybrid. Most everything is a hybrid. We all used seeds found in lbs fro the 70s to grow our weed. These were hybrids or made into a hybrid. Today everything is a hybrid of mixed Sativa/Indica/Ruderalis genetics.

Last edited:

acespicoli

The afghani x skunk was nice outdoors you could grow a skunk an harvest it early
The other stain is of interest to me here is the big bud garlic bud or critical mass (onion garlic body odor kinda stank)
Maybe it was the one people used to call red hair skunk remember that on going around from one seed vendor ?
Besides bud rot issues and some old skunk being best in a green house
It really depends on where your growing it for which one you want to pick
I know someone has the old Holland seed bank catalog to post the skunk descriptions from the 80's

@Hmong nice pictures of your skunk looks nice thanks for sharing :thank you:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
The afghani x skunk was nice outdoors you could grow a skunk an harvest it early
The other stain is of interest to me here is the big bud garlic bud or critical mass (onion garlic body odor kinda stank)
Maybe it was the one people used to call red hair skunk remember that on going around from one seed vendor ?
Besides bud rot issues and some old skunk being best in a green house
It really depends on where your growing it for which one you want to pick
I know someone has the old Holland seed bank catalog to post the skunk descriptions from the 80's

@Hmong nice pictures of your skunk looks nice thanks for sharing :thank you:
One of my favorite clones I have is a Critical Mass. I usually don't have luck with finding keepers from Canuck Seeds everything from them seems to be dull or straight junk and their strains not like their namesake.
But I lucked out with their Critical Mass. Super stanky. I can't describe it but There's a touch of burnt garlic in it, (not fresh), and lil rotten onion. Kinda burns your nostrils. Several people that I've gave bud to say they like the buzz, but don't like the offensive smell.
I found a single seed in her and grew it out, same structure and bud shape , but totally different stink. The offspring was sweet smelling and grape candy added to the aroma, also had purple in it.

acespicoli

@CannaRed yes exactly its that indescribable funk that keeps you with your nose buried in the jar trying to figure it out, till you just have to smoke more
im looking for some good garlic was gonna give mr nice a try
:unsure::giggle:

from nevil just found this post looking up the garlic bud seeds

Garlic bud came from Jim Ortega, as did Maple Leaf. You'll notice from the photo of pure Garlic from my old catalogue, how similar it is in structure to the Skunk#1. I suspect they have a common ancestry. I think of Garlic as a pre-Sam Skunk, but maybe Jim knows more.
In any case, the two crossed well together.
Further improvements may be made by putting the hybrid to Super Skunk. The latest versions will add resin and richer smells to the mix. For the lovers of Skunkoids, there is plenty of good material to play with. UK Cheese may also benifit from a cross to the Garlic line. They are all variations on a theme. Beginners stuff really, but not to be sneezed at. For many, it's where the money is. Heavy yielding, clean limbed Skunkoids make good breeding material.
N.

well if anyone has the garlic id like to see it !!!

Last edited:

acespicoli

1660137025290.png
1660137303262.png

Photo by: EWS, Garlic x Haze = Garlic Haze (this is what the best skunks look like IMO )
They used a lemony haze so im not sure how that translates maybe someone here knows but the look is proper

Their Description
The intense lemon aroma comes to life with a balance of garlicky spice in our EWS Garlic Haze, which combines a ancient California Indica known as garlic bud that is so 1980s old no seed company can really take credit for it, she is a real living legend kept alive by the elders of our community. We then smear that together an amazing strain coming from an old Lake County California cut of a 9 week haze variety known for its extreme limonene terpene profile and fast flowering buds, the results are a 9 - 9 ½ weeks 63 - 67 days flowering plant indoors that yields up to 600 grams per square meter, or grown outdoors she will be done by the 1st of October with yield up to 1,350 grams per plant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

ACCs Road Kill Skunk​

Logo Alaska Cannabis Cache
Originally sourced by Dirty Jim in the early 80s in Mendocino California at Fort Bragg California

Fort Bragg​

City in California
Fort Bragg is a city on California's Mendocino Coast. It's known for Glass Beach, with its shore full of colorful glass stones. The beach is part of sprawling MacKerricher State Park, which supports varied birdlife and harbor seals. The Skunk Train is a steam locomotive that weaves through the redwood forests of the Noyo River Canyon. South of the center, the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens shelters native plants. ― Google

1660132973303.png

1660133045949.png

1660133371997.png

1660133236129.png

View attachment 18743038
1660133532877.png

Haze A clone (leather and spice nose) , or other haze X garlic bud female to feminize.../ pick a great one = X-45 clone only RKS of today ?
Maybe a regular line also for the pheno hunters ?
Ah at any case a nice project for RKS lovers, hope you enjoy reading this as much as I did posting it :canabis:
1660134109140.png

May the skunk train forever be in motion
AceS

Last edited:

acespicoli

.Somewhere there is a 1980's terpene report of skunk I was looking for that and found this... while it had the terpenes theres some new scientific reports available

1660155819489.png

Skunk smells in cannabis not caused by terpenes but sulfur-based compounds: study

Terpenes are only part of what gives some types of weed their unique smells and other related properties

By
Natalia Buendia Calvillo

Published
December 3, 2021

That skunky, gassy scent that some cannabis cultivars emit is thanks to recently identified scent-producing sulfur compounds that are almost identical to the ones found in garlic and skunk spray.

That’s according to a recent study published in the journal American Chemical Society that took a deeper look at what causes the distinct skunky smells in some types of weed, given that no combination of terpenes seem to produce this particular odour.

Researchers from terpene-specialized extraction company Abstrax Tech, identified that the skunk smell comes from a family of seven scent-producing molecules called volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs).

“The combination of multiple detectors, in tandem with two-dimensional gas chromatography to analyze cannabis, gave us the tools needed to parse through data and identify trends between certain compounds and the aromas of various cannabis cultivars,” lead author Iain Oswald said in a statement.

“Our data conclusively establishes a link between this new family of VSCs in cannabis and its pungent aroma.”

VSCs are part of a family of volatile organic compounds which also includes the terpenes and terpenoids that are responsible for stimulating your nose when you sniff dank buds of weed.

meeet-the-molecule-that-gives-cannabis-its-skunky-smell-640x322.jpg

Graphic via ‘Identification of a New Family of Prenylated Volatile Sulfur Compounds in Cannabis Revealed by Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography’

The study found that production of the skunk-smell molecule increased significantly toward the end of the flowering stage, peaked during curing and dropped substantially after 10 days of storage.

“It confirmed everything I had thought about some cultivars I have bred — that they are some of the most pungent and medicinal on the market. These compounds are the reason Gelato and subsequent crosses are some of the most highly sought after out there.”

For the study, researchers analyzed 13 cannabis cultivars using two-dimensional gas chromatography (2DGC), coupled with other techniques to analyze substances such as mass spectrometry and sulfur chemiluminescence, a method that detects only compounds with sulfur.

A panel of four people smelled and ranked the pungency of the cultivars on a scale of 0-to-10. The panel found that the most pungent cultivar was Bacio Gelato, and had the highest concentration of VSCs.

Skunk-smells-in-cannabis-not-caused-by-terpenes-but-a-sulfur-based-compoundtudy.jpg

The skunky secent-producing compounds in cannabis are chemically similar to those found in garlic

VSC3 is the skunkiest compound​

The study discovered seven kinds of VSCs that gave cannabis its skunk-like aromas, but VSC3 was most abundant in the cultivar with the most stank.

To confirm that VSC3 was the main source of the skunky smells, researchers added a mixture of 10 other major aroma compounds from cannabis and were able to reproduce a weed-like aroma.

Identification-of-a-New-Family-of-Prenylated-Volatile-Sulfur-Compounds-in-Cannabis-Revealed-by-Comprehensive-Two-Dimensional-Gas-Chromatography.jpg

Cannabis cultivars have various levels of VSCs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
How did I figure the sulfur/skunk connection?
I figured this out when one grower grew in a shale soil
as you may know coal shale slate all have one thing in common sulfur, generally lacking in most soils
and another in a corn field both from same seed stock one had the funk the other did not

Make sure your grow media/soil has the sulfur in it so the plant can reach its full potential or you might have a good strain that ends off sweet
I posted this information before in another thread seems now its gone mainstream in published articles ^ reposted here^ 2021 I like where they went with it
Hopefully this helps further the efforts and becomes part of a terpene/chem report
Somewhere there is a 1980's terpene report of skunk
Everyone is probably aware of the health benefits of garlic, makes me wonder ?

Ride the World Famous Skunk Train
A Historic Railroad in the Redwoods
Located in Northern California’s Mendocino County there
is a skunk running through the redwood forest, but this
isn’t just any skunk – it’s the world famous Skunk Train. The
California redwoods, pristine coastline, and award-winning
vineyards are all a part of the landscape that makes
Mendocino County such an amazing place and home to
this 133-year-old train.

Smells like a Skunk?
Well not really, but the nickname Skunk originated in
1925 when motorcars were introduced (which today are
sometimes referred to as rail buses or rail cruisers). These
single unit self-propelled motorcars had gasoline powered
engines for power and pot-bellied stoves (burning crude
oil to keep the passengers warm). The combination of the
fumes created a very pungent odor, and the old timers
living along the line said these motorcars were like skunks,
“You could smell them before you could see them.” - (reminds me of Skunk weed in plastic triple bagged in your pocket lol)

Crude oil sulfur content
1. Overview of Petroleum Sulfur Compounds. Sulfur generally has an elemental content of 0.1–6 wt % in crude oil, but the value could be higher than 14% for some crude oils and asphalts.Sep 3, 2021

Mimicry​

In a number of flowering plants, especially orchids, a plant uses mimicry to entice the insect pollinator to visit the flower and successfully pollinate it with no reward of food to the pollinating insect.
Many flowers that are dark red or red-purple produce a scent that is similar to the scent of rotting flesh. In this case, the pollinator visits the flower believing that there is a meal or a carcass on which to lay its eggs. Female blowflies will land on these flowers, lay their eggs, and in the process of moving about the flower inadvertently pollinate it. However, when the eggs hatch the maggots die, as there is no rotting flesh to eat. In other cases the duped pollinator lands on the flower and moves around the flower and inadvertently pollinates the flower while trying to find the rotting flesh to eat.
(not many bees in the desert of afghanistan but flies yes)

Last edited:

acespicoli

:ROFLMAO: maybe like sweet composted manure ? I have heard mixed reviews

shi!
An absolute classic and original Skunk/Afghani that has won more awards than you have had hot dinners! It is a sure-bet for the first time cultivators of either interior ,exterior or glasshouse growers. The yield will be extremely substantial with expectations between 550-650 grams per square meter. The finishing time will be within 45 days once the flowering appears on the plant. Expect harvest in late September to early October in the northern hemisphere and in the southern hemisphere by the end of April. A proven true breed since the 80's. Bred by the original breeder and founder of the original seed bank.
(if you grow this please share it here)

oldies throwback thursday... almost
1660166471294.png

acespicoli

What about Todd Mccormick skunk #1 is that as close to the original you can get?
Thats what Todd's website says, Mel Frank has earned alot of respect in the community. I have no knowledge of any of Todds gear cant make myself buy into it for some reason
If anyone has pictures of Todds gear id like to see em and would be open to hearing the reports, I guess its worth 100$/ pack to find out ?
5/45$ 13/100$
from ag seed

Original Skunk No.1

Regular Seeds

(Afghan x Colombian) x Acapulco Gold

8 to 10 Weeks Flowering Time​

THESE SKUNK #1 SEEDS HAVE ONLY BEEN REPRODUCED TWICE SINCE 1988!

In 1988 Mel Frank begot Skunk No.1 seeds from Skunkman Sam, put them into the the refrigerator until 1996 when he reproduced them 8 years later.
Then Mel Frank properly stored them for another 24 years until 2020, when they were grown and selected by Todd for the more acrid terpene phenotypes.
This is the legendary Skunk #1, developed by Skunkman Sam in the 1970's and is a relatively stabilized, true breeding hybrid.
Originally offered by Sacred Seeds and Cultivators Choice, it is a combination of:
(Afghan x Colombian Gold) x Acapulco Gold
Sacred Seeds/Cultivators Choice
Hand Selected with Love

"What you seed is what you get!"

(25% x 25%) x 50%
maybe someone here can do the genetics math on the gene swamping ?
not counting selection....if it was a F1 hybrid...

:chin:

I might go this far for a tester.... 5/45$
with each reproduction your likely gene swamping out the affie rks traits you want... id S1 your keeper moms and hold cuts

been sitting on exodus x sams 20+ year old skunk cut ;)
but yeah '88 skunk would be a line to search for sure :huggg:

Last edited:

Hmong

Veteran

Original Skunk No.1
Regular Seeds
(Afghan x Colombian) x Acapulco Gold

finally some reference I can quote!
people got on me nerves so often, mixing this up in all kinds of ways.

short, for those who are still hunting for roadkill, this is your hunting grounds.

GoatCheese

Veteran
(25% x 25%) x 50%
maybe someone here can do the genetics math on the gene swamping ?
not counting selection....if it was a F1 hybrid
The Afghani/Colombian hybrid was inbred before the Mexi was added. And apparently, he used Afghan/Colombian and Columbian/Afghan plants

Here’s SamS ...This was in TFD Skunk thread, iirc, but the link i have doesn’t work anymore

Q: "From which region of Afghanistan did the 'Afghan' in 'Skunk #1' come from?"

“Mazar, but then crossed with a Columbian, then selfed, then the hybrid crossed with Acapulco Gold to make it a bit earlier.
But to be honest in the same seed batch from Afghanistan you will find many phenos, remember they may have thousands of females that the seeds came from, as well as thousands of males hitting every one of the females, so that is a lot of possible combos.....”

::::

Here’s another one:

Originally Posted by joaquin386

"He meant (Mazar x Colombian) x (Mazar x Colombian) and the result (Mazar x Colombian)square x Acapulco gold."

“Almost correct, (Colombian x Mazar) x (Mazar x Colombian) and the result (Colombian/MazarXMazar/Colombian)square x Acapulco gold.”

-SamS

PS.

The genetic math will most likely go out the window when parent plants are selected. So an Afghan/Columbian plant - and it's offspring - are quite likely NOT 50% Afghan + 50% Colombian, thou on paper it reads this way

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The path to a good Skunk= Find a spicy frankincense haze and cross her to AFGH. Everything I've used with my (A5hbx x Mac) male has some skunk in them.

SKUNK#1 seeds have never produced a skunk pheno I'm aware of. I've grown Sams SK#1. I have some of Todds sk#1. I've not grown them yet. I do know others that have grown them with no skunk.

Last edited:

acespicoli

This is probably not the place for this.. better off in the breeders laboratory thread
Hopefully someone benefits from it, takes some studying...

1663722685894.png

1663722998888.png

The path to a good Skunk= Find a spicy frankincense haze and cross her to AFGH. Everything I've used with my (A5hbx x Mac) male has some skunk in them.

SKUNK#1 seeds have never produced a skunk pheno I'm aware of. I've grown Sams SK#1. I have some of Todds sk#1. I've not grown them yet. I do know others that have grown them with no skunk.
This is exactly the issue - no RKS skunk in skunk#1, haze x affie - good place to start, thats gospel

some funk

Chem 91
UK Cheese
Chem D

I found some garlic bud females they need a good outcross...hope to find it maybe the haze @Hammerhead ?... What hazes you ran bud ?
Think I remember you saying you did some THH?
Then there is the affie leaner for the northern couch lockers and the tiva leaner for the southern tweakers... pheno hunts :canabis: love the cuts you got

I like the buzz of the impending doom phenos :smokeit: the scrumptious haze high in a 10-11 week outdoor bud for northern latitudes... heavy yields 5lbs per plant
20% THC - this was the whole thing behind the success of skunk, haze under glass is nice too in socal id guess ?

Skunk fans dont miss this

Last edited: