What's new

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
if you need HOG dust I assure you it won't be a problem. you'd just have to give me a while.

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
hardhat22 said:
Thanks alot.Thats very interesting and confusing at the same time.He is stating that,if we get a buzz from it,it's an indica.If we don't it's a sativa????And there is no such thing as a sativa hybrid.Not sure how to process that little bit of info.
Peace

Yep... you have been smoking indicas the whole time. Hemp=sativa and hemp=ruderalis. For the indicas there is narrow and wide leaf drug types. So this thread should be called Revival of the Ultimate Narrow Leafed Indica Thread. :joint:

Abstract Sample populations of 157 Cannabis accessions of diverse geographic origin were surveyed for allozyme variation at 17 gene loci. The frequencies of 52 alleles were subjected to principal components analysis. A scatter plot revealed two major groups of accessions. The sativa gene pool includes fiber/seed landraces from Europe, Asia Minor, and Central Asia, and ruderal populations from Eastern Europe. The indica gene pool includes fiber/seed landraces from eastern Asia, narrow-leafleted drug strains from southern Asia, Africa, and Latin America, wide-leafleted drug strains from Afghanistan and Pakistan, and feral populations from India and Nepal. A third putative gene pool includes ruderal populations from Central Asia. None of the previous taxonomic concepts that were tested adequately circumscribe the sativa and indica gene pools. A polytypic concept of Cannabis is proposed, which recognizes three species, C. sativa, C. indica and C. ruderalis, and seven putative taxa.

Chemotaxonomic differentiation
The a priori assignment of accessions to C. sativa and C. indica based on geographic origins and differences in allozyme allele frequencies is consistent with significant differences in cannabinoid levels and BT allele frequencies between the two species. Recognition of C. ruderalis is not supported by the chemotaxonomic evidence because no significant differences were found between ruderal accessions from central Asia and eastern Europe. These results are consistent with Vavilov's two-species concept and his interpretation that C. ruderalis is synonymous with C. sativa var. spontanea Vav. (Vavilov, 1926 ; Vavilov and Bukinich, 1929 ).

This study confirms that the THC/CBD ratio of individual Cannabis plants can be assigned to one of three discrete chemotypes. The limits between chemotypes coincide with those reported by Vollner et al. (1986) . As expected, plants with high levels of THC were common within the two drug biotypes of C. indica. However, plants with relatively high levels of THC were also common within the hemp and feral biotypes of this species. In contrast, most plants assigned to C. sativa had relatively low levels of THC. Because chemotype I, II, and III plants were found in both species, the chemotype of an individual plant is of limited use for chemotaxonomic determination of species membership.

It was estimated that chemotype I individuals comprised <25% of each population for all but two of the 89 accessions assigned to C. sativa and >25% of each population for all but four of the 62 accessions assigned to C. indica. This appears to be a reasonable guideline for differentiation of the two species, in conjunction with other taxonomic traits. The advantage of this approach over the method of Small and Cronquist (1976) for differentiating sativa from indica (regardless of taxonomic rank) is that the frequency of chemotype I plants in a given population is stable from one generation to the next (assuming Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium) and not influenced by biotic and abiotic factors that affect the quantitative production of cannabinoids. For populations that have been purposely selected for a fixed chemotype, geographic origin and morphological traits are better indicators of species membership (Hillig, 2004 , in press).

Small and Beckstead (1973a) reported that chemotype I strains usually originate from countries south of latitude 30°N and that chemotype II and III strains usually originate from countries north of this latitude. In the present study, nearly all accessions having a relatively low BT frequency (<0.4) originated from latitudes north of 35°N. However, several accessions with a relatively high BT frequency (>0.4) also originated from above this latitude, including drug accessions from Afghanistan and Pakistan and hemp accessions from China, Japan, and South Korea. It appears that the range of C. sativa in Europe and Asia does not extend below about 35°N latitude, whereas the range of C. indica extends both above and below this latitude (Hillig, 2004 ).

The propyl side-chain homologs of CBD and THC are also of chemotaxonomic significance. Elevated levels of CBDV and/or THCV were much more common in plants of C. indica than in plants of C. sativa. Plants with elevated levels of THCV, sometimes exceeding THC, were detected in all four biotypes of C. indica, but not in all accessions. Segregation ratios in F2 populations from controlled crosses between low and high THCV individuals indicate that at least two loci control this trait (de Meijer et al., 2003 ; K. Hillig, unpublished data). The gene(s) controlling the enhanced biosynthesis of propyl cannabinoids appear to have originated in C. indica and not to have spread appreciably into C. sativa.

http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/91/6/966?ck=nck#SEC3

Last edited:

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Ganja Pasha said:
Even Rob Clarke isn't sure how it works, our understanding is not yet complete, let's just agree it's a lot more complicated than the traidtional indica, sativa, ruderalis, hemp view. Eventually they will fully map the cannabis genepool and develop a proper, complete scientific taxonomy (hopefully without lots of Latin names!)

Sativa is now Cannabis Indica Spontania

Indica is now Cannabis Indica Afghanica

Doesn't seem so bad. I wonder how long, if ever, the real names will catch on. The assumptions of the past are now proved wrong by new science. Can we change?

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
eventually they will be giving proper names to every specific cannabis plant as everyone is different. what some see as distinct species i see as gradations of the same species. they are simply changing the definition of the classes to suit their categorical system of symbols. the distinction is artificial and will change every time someone disagrees with the established definition.

B

bonecarver_OG

Ganja Pasha said:
I think Herbalistic is right, there are still plenty of little patches of old sativas in Mexico, hell, Merida and Quintana Roo are covered in wild cannabis, it's everywhere, it is a weed after all!

As for further north, Zacatecas, the Sierra Madre range, I'd say stay the hell away from there, it is far too dangerous, there is open warfare there between the cartels and the army and asking folks about cannabis there will probably be a good way to meet a nasty painful death, life is very, very cheap in Mexico, I never felt 100% safe and I was in possibly the safest part ofthe country. Guatemala was fucking scary, and looking back I was fucking stupid to go there on my own,The people are lovely, some of the warmest, kindest and friendly souls I have ever met, but the poverty is harsh and there are many people who will kidnap or kill you in a heartbeat, hell if I was poor as dirt and my family were too, and a fat wealthy American tourist walked past with a fat wallet in his pockt I;d do what I needed to support my family and take that wallet, so easy to see how someone could have looked at me the same way although I tried hard to look more like a down-at-heel hippy than a wealthy gingo and it worked, stinking of ganja also helped methinks! LOL

reading this i jsut feel like chiming in a bit..

im a normal northern european person - tall, blond etc - when i was travelling thru all of central america i didnt really feel in danger ever. i think it is important to be aware of HOW to travel when one goes to areas that are "poor" or under-developed or in war (or other political/social problems).

guatemala/honduras/nicaragua is very safe - but its allways up to the traveller to make sure one is not getting into potencially dangerous situacions. one has to adapt to the suroundings.

i think definetly mexico is much more potencially dangerous in some areas than nicaragua/honduras/el salvador or guatemala. but the problems are all local - and one should not judge a country because of a few scetchy spots. i have more or less travelled thru a major part of guatemala - maybe learning to know it better than any of the central american countries i stayed in.

i agree people are extremelly helpfull and kind, sometimes to an extent u would never have expected from ppl in the condicions they are living in. i had much less trouble travelling and trekking and hitching thru central america than in for example morocco.

i recomend EVERYONE to go there for a time to experience their cultures, the people and the bud. but bring ur camping kitchen, ur tent and a pair of trekking shoes and travell amongts the people of the country. dont forget to buy a machete..

seriously most likelly the strongest bud i ever smoked - i smoked it there.

about danger - its dangerous to cross the street - or to go to work every day. DONT let ur fear for the unkown win over your thirst of adventure!

peace all and GO TRAVELLING

Last edited:

RealSupreme

bonecarver_OG said:
i agree people are extremelly helpfull and kind, sometimes to an extent u would never have expected from ppl in the condicions they are living in. i had much less trouble travelling and trekking and hitching thru central america than in for example morocco.

:yes:

hardhat22

Hello Bonecarver :wave:
3dDream said:
Yep... you have been smoking indicas the whole time. Hemp=sativa and hemp=ruderalis. For the indicas there is narrow and wide leaf drug types. So this thread should be called Revival of the Ultimate Narrow Leafed Indica Thread. :joint: ]

As expected, plants with high levels of THC were common within the two drug biotypes of C. indica. However, plants with relatively high levels of THC were also common within the hemp and feral biotypes of this species. In contrast, most plants assigned to C. sativa had relatively low levels of THC. Because chemotype I, II, and III plants were found in both species, the chemotype of an individual plant is of limited use for chemotaxonomic determination of species membership.
Or, Revival of the Ultimate Narrow Leafed Indica,Hemp and Ruderalis Thread.

Something is wrong with that report,can't wrap my mind around it.Maybe it has something to do with the new classification system including hemp as an NLD variety,which would solidify my governments ( exxon,halliburton,carlyle et. al) stance against allowing hemp to be grown here in the U.S.It would also classify plants as hemp,that have little to no value as a hemp variety,but will fry your brain.
Who were these guys doing the study for anyway?
Peace
http://www.torontohemp.com/

G

I agree that parts of Mexico and the bit of Guatemala I saw are pretty safe, thelocal people are very nice and courteous, one of the big things you notice is how laid back they are when driving, there is no stressed out driving and folks just trundle along and give way to each other, really refreshing. The food is amazing if you love fruit and seafood and maize and rice, alcohol dirt cheap if that's your bag, I'm a moderate drinker but I did get hammered on pulque with the locals a couple of times, it must have been a funny sight to see a 6ft3 300 pound white guy propping up the bar and laughing with the locals (despite hardly understanding them) who are all 5ft nothing and dark skinned, I felt like Gulliver a lot of the time when in the rural places as the peopel are mostly ethnically indigenous Mayans etc. with little Latin influence, so they are all short and stout, but seem to smile more than anyone other folks I've met, really nice, even the beggars are really nice and polite for the most part. I've never seen a street fight, only the odd shouting match, it's not a violent culture in the way the Uk can be, people just don't seem so stressed, maybe it's the heat as it is ferociously hot and the humidity can be extreme too, you get used to sweating like a pig and the smell of sweat, although Mexicans are very clean people I reckon and there are pharmacias everywhere, even in the tiny little towns in Guatemala. I saw some real dirt poor places in Guatemala, mostly from the bus, but I did walk round one place where I changed busses and hads a 2 hour stopover, and it was three cement block buildings and the rest wood and corrugated iron, kids in rags playing with a frog in a puddle, but those kids looked well fed and they were laughing like mad and seemed pretty happy, although the number of stern faces there was higher than everywhere else, you could see the worry on some people's faces, but I didn't get mobbed by beggars at all, I got stared at a fair bit, but in a curious, friendly way. The kids did follow me for a while begging for sweeties (maybe all the US tourists that passed that way carried sweets?) so I gave em a coin each and they ran off happy as larry, gd knows how muh it was worth, but it cost about 3 of those coins to travel 40 miles between two towns, so I bet they ran home to mamma to hand over their loot.

The worst thing to happen to me in 8 weeks in Mexico and 4 days in Guatemala was getting Montezuma's Revenge while I was in thee arse end of nowhere somewhere in Quintana Roo, I was staying in a beach hut I had rented for a week for the princely sum of 50 US and was well provisioned with medicines I took with me for such eventualities! The first morning at the hut this little fella with a huge machete and a bundle of fresh coconuts over his shoulder wandered along the beach and immediately smelled my breakfast joint and walked right over and sat down on the stoop beside me and proceded to share my joint, he chopped the top of a coconut and sold me two more and I had coconut milk for breakfast, the same guy wandered past every morning I was there so we repeated the scene every morning, don't think he spoke more than two dozen words to me, and it was all 'Senor' and 'gracias'.

However, misbehave in Mexico and they will probably just kill you if they are mad enough, I was told many times that people get chopped up all the time, apparently making a moptionm diagonally across the body from shoulder to waist with the flat of the hand indicates a threat to slice you diagonally along the same axis with a machete, and not to be taken lightly if on the receivning end, a profuse apology for any offence caused would be the best bet in such a circumstance. I was in a club in Cancun one night and these three big, probably steroid enhanced meatheads (I think they were American, they were certainly tourists) caused some bother and tried to start a fight with the security when they were asked to behave, I was stood right next to them, about 6 feet away and suddenly it kicked off, I was ushered to one side a lot mroe politely and gently than any British boucner would have by the cordon of security who had surrounded these guys and when they kicked off, loads more Mexican secuirity came running, and although I was a good foot taller than them, I would not have messed with any opf them and I was amazed at the way they all piled on these 3 guys and beat them down in a few seconds, these three meatheads got far more than they bargained for, but it was done so professionally that hardly anyone in the club noticed, then those three guys were dragged out a back door and a waiter told me only half joking that they were gonna get a real beating. Point being, no matter how hard you think you are, take a bad attitude to Mexico and the Mexicans will soon beat it out of you, they don't tolerate gringos misbehaving and make no bones that they don't, they are very polite and courteous until you give them reason not to be.

One of the best days I spent there was on a public beach on a Sunday, there were a handful of tourists and hundreds of local families all out swimming in the sea, I spent hours floating round chatting to the locals, many of whom seemed very keen to try out their bad English on me, many could speak no English and made up for it by smiling a lot, I was shown the huge local starfish and how they cling onto rocks by one guy, he had found this huge one and brought it to show me just because he wanted to show off the local wildlife to a stranger, lots of touching little moments like the starfish guy and the old coconut dude and no trouble or danger at all, unless you count the time I forgot to shake my boots out one morning and crushed a scorpion that had crawled in, when I rushed to a local with this flattened red scorpion in hand trying to explain I had stood on it and asking if it was dangerous, he laughed and insisted on saying 'okay' many times when I showed him the place on my foot, and patting me on the back, sand as I'm still alive I'm sure he was reassuring me it wasn't a poisonous one.

Oh, and I almost stood on a 5 foot iguana I hadn't seen one day, it hissed and opened it's mouth wide but just walked away slowly, but those things wan be dangerous, they have nasty teeth and claws.

Mexico is a place I will return to again, I want to visit other parts of Latin America too, Argentina maybe next?

Ganja Pasha - both the Oaxacans went into flower last night, but I'm fairly certain both are female...

By the way, here's the three 'Mexico' pages from Cherniak's book - Vol 2, the weed one - can't see the pic of the pyramid you mention though...?

I've only seen the picture once and that was at the Cannabis Cup in 2005, Cherniak was there hawking his books in a super expensive green-leather bound edition, he tried very hard to sell them to me and was plainly disgusted when I said I couldn't afford the set so he tried hard to sell me one volume and was pretty dismissive when I explained I couldn't afford even one with a 'why are you wasting my time' attitude, but hey, you walked upto me and started talking to me, not the other way round you short-arsed, big-headed nincompoop! Anyways, I didn't like Cherniak one bit, but his books were nice, but not worth a quarter of his price. The picture was of the main Pyramid at Chichen Itza on the Yucatan Peninsual and I said to him 'I was there last year and it looks nothing like that anymore' he didn't comment. There was a big thin leaved plant growing in the foreground and the whole area was covered in undergrowth, it must have been in the early 70s as by the late 70s they have turned the site into a tourist attraction and National Park and would have eradicated the cannabis at that point as they cleared the site of undergrowth, leaving just a few trees to provide some shade from the incredible heat of the sun, when I was at chichen Itza I drank 4 litres of water in 2 hours and still got dehydrated as hell and had to 'worship the god of ac' as the Mexicans put it for a while to recover, while drinking icy water like it was going outta fashion.

I looked for my pictures of Chichen Itza but don't know where Ive put them, but I kept a very close eye out for any cannabis plants but as there was no undergrowth on the main site I saw nothing and it was too hot to walk off to the uncleared parts of the site (The city is massive, only a part of it has been cleared of jungle) but I reckon there would have been plenty of acannabis plants lurking there. I wonder if the Maya weho buil the city had cannabis or whether it came with the Spanish? I asked the tour guide and he didn't know, but he told me all about the Mayan's love of magic muchrooms and showed me some of the rock carvings that showed mushrooms shaped objects. He said that the Mayans made ropes but he didn't know what they made the rope out of.

droopy

bonecarver_OG said:

Well, I'm French and I live in this big country south of Brazil (I never name it nominally on those boards : to remain a minimum in the shadows).
I know quite well Moroccans for being French (many maghrebis in France) and when I was 20 (20 years ago), I've been riding my motorcycle from France to Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and so on ...
I was alone on my bike, and in Morocco, I've crossed the northern mountain regions where they produce our green beloved product (Rif) without any problems but first, it took me some time to adapt myself to the local way of acting/interacting.
It was the first time I was going to the Maghreb and during the first 24 hours, I've been strongly considering going back home right away.
Reason was the way of acting of the Moroccans : each time I would stop, I would get 2 to 5 people coming straight to me, talking to me from very close, eventually touching me (my arms), and in a way that I could interpret as an agression.

During those first 24 hours, I eventually decided to spend a night in a luxury hotel (a safe cocoon) to analyze the situation. This was too before I lost myself in small streets of this town close to Ceuta (forgot the name), there were some guys coming up to me and asking me if I was French, to which I replied first positively. I got insulted right away after that, and a kid threw at me an empty can... great (I was 20, I'm rather tall too, clear hazel hair, green eyes, grew up in an upper-middle class family).
Finally, I realized that -apart of the racist incident I experienced (great experience by the way when "you cross the mirror"... changed my way of looking at certain things forever)- their way of acting was cultural (and I was judging the situation with my occidental eyes... that's ethnocentrism).

The next day, I was on the road again ! Anytime I would encounter the same situations, I would react in a similar way as theirs (like a mediterranean way), with respect and no fear.

About 3 or 4 days later, I was about to cross the Rif region.
The turistic guidebooks were definitive about this part of Morocco : don't go there alone, people there will try to stop you and rob you...
In the last village before really being in the Rif, I stopped, and I asked about the possibility of being escorted by 2 or 3 men in a car in front of me.
Price was cheap (don't remember) but still too high for my adquisitive power.
What the heck, I'll cross it alone.

Indeed in the Rif (mountains, very sinuous roads, fantastic panoramas... By the way, people in the Rif region are not Arabs, they are Berbers), there were some guys waiting next to the road here and there.
But instead of driving discreetly (and anyway having to drive by those guys), I chose the opposite option : Those guys were not hearing me arriving 300 meters before, they were hearing me 1 kilometer before because I kept honking all the way and raising one of my arms as a sign of victory/friendship when passing by them). Nobody tried to stop me, moreover, majority of them replied with friendly signs.

I have about 400 pictures of this trip, I'll edit this post and publish 2 or 3 of the nicests.

This was just to say that my own experience with Moroccans was rather good and regarding security issues while comparing with the situation in some Latin American countries (where I live now), you won't find young 12 years old Moroccans with the brain destroyed by such things as "paco" (this cheap coke that destroys your brain as fast as you can say 1 2 3), holding a gun (loaded) at you.

Sorry for the digression out of the sativa (or indica indica, lol) subject.

The next thing this trip teached me is about water, but that's another thema.

I wonder what went wrong for you in Morocco (not trying to stir up a controversy of course, just curious about your own experience).

PS : In Morocco too during this trip, I smoked for the first time oil... Lol, I remained 24 hours in my hotel room (a cheap one this time, I only spent one night, the first, in a luxury hotel). It was damn strong !

B

bonecarver_OG

droopy - in short - ppl trying to rob/steal and rip off - thats morocco in short. but there is nice ppl too - made a few friends for life. but in general id say during a year in central america i had maybe 1-2 incidents that were scetchy - while in morocco i had the same amount of incidents in a months time - but all incidents in moroco were of more serious nature. i had to get the police involved in both occasions.

i never stayed at a luxury hotel in my life and i wont most likelly do it never :D i like tents and camping in the bush - only if necesary i stayed on the roofs of some hotels. i had a marvelous time in morocco - dont get me wrong. just being honest about my experience. i just dont want ppl to get scared away from the central american countries - nor morocco.

its important i think ppl dont loose their urge for travelling to collect genetics etc - thats what this thread is to a great extent about :D no?

also u have to notice im writing about mexico/central america (guatemala/belize to panama) - everything south from there is south america and i havent travelled there and i dont know about the scene. :D

sorry for hijacking

peace all

Last edited:
N

nelumbo

Zamal Hybrid ( Nl#5Haze x White Russian ) x Zamal mango-carrotte (personnal landrace import from the Isle of the Réunion FR )

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
That is great nelumbo :yes:

ElAhrJi: What a monster indoor(?) thai :yoinks:

Here´s some African genetics from my closet..

Swazi Rooibart flowered from rooted clone after 103 days:

Couple cola shots:

Her mummy after 94 days..

And a new baby which was made by loose Destroyer pollen andd plant shaking fan :D

Maybe couple pics of the Powerplant I harvested today, these pics are from yesterday before trimming & harvesting her!

E

ElectroSticky

:yes: :canabis:

Looking great Herbalistic ,Nice training buddy.... :rasta:

do you have pics from any colombian sativa you might have grown .. red hair maybe...??? lol .... : )

Last edited:
G

Although they are shitty pics, what they show is pretty exciting (to me at least!)

Thai lady pregnant from Purple Afghan pollen:

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

El Yucateca forming seeds from Purple Afghan pollen:

DSCF0006.jpg

Jahwi's Joy also bearing children of my randy PA male:

DSCF0007.jpg

Fingers crossed that I'll have plenty of seeds before long!

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Damn GP brother man :yoinks: That is one fine plan to produce very special & most likely él primó F1 hybrids :yes:

Really way to represent mate :respect:

Electro: Unfortunately, I havent met with Colombian móta strains yet.....

Here´s Moonshinemans master piece: S.A.G.E x AmnesiaHaze x Nevils Haze x AmnesiaHaze AKA SAgeDaze!!

My first run with her, but have sampled friend grown and what a treat she is!! So delicious, chocolate like therpenes producing wonderfull high compared to Neville´s Haze cuttin I have growed several times!

Sativa Soul

Thnx for these great pics of the Swazi herbalistic! I'm considering purchasing me some Swazi Rooibaard and this really looks great! I think I got something that would make a great cross with that.

spicecowboy

Thai/Afghani

Thai/Afghani

Ganja Pasha:

You got a nice Thai lady there, and it´s great that you used an Afghani as a crossing partner.

Should give some interresting offspring.

Your Thai reminds me very much of the Thai I grew a few years ago, almost identical flower formation.

Where did you get the seeds from?

I grew another Thai strain Outdoors a few years ago on my balcony.

Surprisingly the plants flowered very early.

They took a long time to finish tough.

From my experience Thai plants tend to produce those spindly, etremely airy "buds", - the single female Calyxes can become pretty big.

Maybe those airy buds are a natural trait and the reason why those flowers are compressed or tied to the legendary Thai sticks to give them a more bud like bag appeal?

spice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts