What's new

Reversed Backcrossing:)

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
then you'd better stop pormoting techniques that:

a) you don't understand

and

b) lead to the genetic erosion of the species I have dedicated my life to preserving. Your actions make you my adversary.

I rather we were all united under the umbrella of enlightenment and knowledge. I will however take a stand against ignorance under the guise of comprehension. If I have to take that stand alone, I can accept that. It's a battle worth fighting.

-Chimera

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chimera,,,i love you man,,,,,you have my sort of ethics,,,,the seed companys have slaped us in the face with fem seeds....im not promoting it,,,,i dont want to say to people "self your little ass off"

i just want to understand the conciquence,,,,in doing this, i found positive aplication,,,,

am i wrong.....is there no positive aplication?

dopeshow

^^^^^ Hell yeah @ Chimera.

Ignore him if you want Rick, but HE knows what he is talking about and he couldn't be more right.

There are positives to selfing Rick, but you don't really have an idea what they are ... which is totally evident when you read what you plan to do with all this selfing and backcrossing. It just don't work like you think dude and copy and pasting articles doesn't fool me or anyone else into thinking it does.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
The creation of gynocious seedlots has numerous applications, both for breeders and for consumers... given it is done correctly. Sadly, it seldom is.

My problem is not with the fact that gynocious (feminized) seeds are being produced... my problem is with the methodology.

1:1 hybrids and bottlenecked 'populations' from these hybrids leads to genetic erosion.

You can breed poorly with standard male/female breeding schemes and gynocious ones alike. This is my convern, Gynocious breeding per se is not my issue here.

-Chimera

dopeshow

I do want to add something after reading the big long article you posted Rick, about Hortapharm (sp?).

Yes, they used selfing to create seeds.

Yes, they used it to create homozygote seed lines.

But what you don't see in the article is how they figured out which ones to self that would create the homozygote seeds. You already saw they planeted THOUSANDS of seeds to select from. THEN they selected 100 for testing!!!

Rick, I would be shocked if you even grew 100 to select from! You will end up with only a tiny fraction of plants to test comared to what they did. Then you will have to have the space to test all the possible selfed seed lines to determine which ones have the correct combination of traits to make a homozygote seed line. SOOOO much work. And in case you haven't noticed, no one else is doing this. I can only imagine it's because of the sheer amount of space, time, and energy that this method takes.

And even this process they sure aren't doing what you are talking about. It sounds to me like they are selecting the 1 plant that will give them homozygote selfed seeds for the cannabinoid profile they are looking for (depending on their goals). I didn't read anything about outcrossing or selfing many times over.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The creation of gynocious seedlots has numerous applications, both for breeders and for consumers... given it is done correctly. Sadly, it seldom is.

-Chimera

guess whos willin to be taught how to do it propperly:)

il devote my life to this,,,

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
at the min i think sefing is good for limiting the frequency of selection,,,,

please set me strait,,,,i reach many people

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
guess whos willin to be taught how to do it propperly:)

il devote my life to this,,,

i personally think thats great man

but why not be really gracious and wise and read a good book on genetics, then youl know loads and loads! in stead of picking bits and bobs up slowly, genetics is a brutal science in its own right but easily learnt properly from a good source.

to have strong all round plants you need to have a good selection of good parents, you can't isolate traits by cutting down gene pools, plus you would owe it to any future form of any plant you created to be genetically viable in all ways possible.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its so hard for me to read bro,,,honestly its killing me,,,i read things 10 times,,,,i can allmost do parrot fashion on most papers i read

its like i need another form of input apart from reading

ahh man i hate this

i learn best from small tex like we have on icmag,,,,ive learnt everything from Overgrow and icmag,,,,how crazy is that

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
the major problem with the internet is so much information is just chewed up and spat out and no one takes any time to check what pieces of info are true. i wish everyone on this site could read a book on plant genetics, even a simple one.

if you wanna learn mate then i respect that, but the best breeders out there know, that the best strains will always be the ones with the best parents and the strongest genetics.

the oldest techniques are the best and only they will be the saviour of this plant

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
to have strong all round plants you need to have a good selection of good parents, you can't isolate traits by cutting down gene pools, plus you would owe it to any future form of any plant you created to be genetically viable in all ways possible.

lol,,,,i allmost didnt see that,,,,hmmm,,,

i like you man...you got good vibe

id like to look at increesing fitness withouth having to breed,,,,,"lateral transfer" in its true meaning sounds like it could do this.......grafting plants onto supirior plants etc...."plant therapy"...lol,,,is this not possible?

when you say cutting down the genepools,,,,thats the stuff i want to correct with the Reverced Backcross

fitness is a obstical i want to aproch

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
am i wrong in thinking i can isolate some quantitive traits via selfing into a carrier?

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
am i wrong in thinking i can isolate some quantitive traits via selfing into a carrier?

please elaborate? quantitive? not qualitive? selfing into a carrier?

their are no other sneaky ways of trying to make a better cannabis plant, because arjan and the crew would have already tried it and we would have heard about it.

Unique tasting strains come from unique places either landrace, or an old clone from back in the day, then they are hybridized with some thing big and strong, equaling an acceptable yielding unique tasting strain. acheiving the desired high and terpene expression in your strain rely on progeny testing to establish the quality of the parents.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im thinkin:

if i use "selfing" on my fave tasting plant,,, il catch some sequence of DNA,,,

yes it will be random, but with enough numbers the sequence i love so mutch will show up again in some form..... this is the carrier,,,,,,

if fitness is a problem,,,i would like to tackle fittness in general itself

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
crosses like MSS x OGKA seem to work perfectly...

the MSS got a blast of the OGKA taste

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
why dont you clone your favourite tasting gal instead of selfing her? a selfed plant may lack parts of chromosomes. mss x ogka is a cross though isnt it? nothing to do with selfing

if you hit your fav tasting gal wit your fav yielding male, grow on the offspring youl find the terpene you want in a desirable body, and then your at the begining of a breeding program.

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
you want to save the species....teach the kids

Chimera spends an amazing amount of his time educating this community but the bottom line is that the information you seek is already out there. It's up to the individual to go dig up this stuff and expand their own ideas. He's already given you a great place to start: Aallard. This is a fantastic text and no future breeder or canna-enthusiast should consider moving forward in their knowledge without reading it or one of thousands of texts like it. You really need a solid foundation to build on when it comes to understanding genetics and breeding. And Chimera can't be expected to spend his time spoon feeding these ideas to the cannabis cultivators forever. Simply put, those who really want to know will go find out. Others will just post on icmag. Of course everyone WANTS to save the species but some people say while other people do...

Latest posts

Latest posts