What's new

Resurrecting DJs blueberry

elanius

Veteran
Hey brothers in blue, the BB f5 released recently is still the same, same male same female. (Dont mean the pre99 BB release which supposed to have different father)

BigPhil

Veteran
The seed bank called me saying they can't source the bean's. But DJ's bean's have not been in the UK for a while now. So I'm not suprised. So no Blueberry for me, I wish I had the money to get some bean's while they are in stock in the States.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=353242&page=8

This is DJ's first light, happy pussy f4 x blueberry f4. Page 9 - 11 talks about smells. He found 1 smelling like Blueberry muffing's one that stunk of Blueberry and one with a slight smell of Blueberry. Some chocolate and wood smells and fruity smells.

Greatdalas

I recently grew velvet krush, it was great. very anti anxiety and euphoric. not heavy. very easy to grow, no mutants. View Image

I'm grow in the last grow velvet krush, first light and other of dj, don't remember now the name and all very indicas, mutants and no have nothing special... No flavor and odor

need4weed

Veteran
if you are looking for the really true blueberry muffin aroma, I have not found it in 24 Blueberry Original Indica females...but was not looking for it anyway. What I did find was incredible Blueberry sativa high on my favorite phenotype. She also smelled very close to kind of blueberry cake, but not really. Very complex smell, there was the bake element which make you wonder about blueberry muffins. But the smell was not pure blueberry, it was more like blueberry mixed with other berry fruits, hazelnuts and juicy fruit tropical scent. The downside was, the smell was subtle, not very pronounced. Thankfully the F"2" I made with it carry the great smoke further the line and the smell was even better and much louder (to my surprise) than the mother. This F2 pheno was probably my all time favorite blueberry example to this day. I feel no body smoking it, its all in the head, euphoric, very pleasant - anti anxiety and very long lasting 3+ hours.
This is the BB mother, grown by friend:
View Image
View Image

What stock did this come from? The F5 ?

elanius

Veteran
yes - current F5, feels like some people are having hard time to accept it, so many asked me this question over the years :) but it is simple, just buy few packs and hunt for favorite, its there...

Chappi

Yeah man, yield is subjective anyway. From my experience the plants that were blueberry dom were not the best yielders compared to the rest of the phenos. I have some f2’s I made that I’ll run sometime soon. Beautiful plants tho!

Chappi

I didn’t get anything that smelled amazing but I assumed it was my lack of skills, I guess a lot of folks had similar experience. The high is great tho, but if you’re into the heavy couch lock make you useless for 3 hours, this ain’t it.

rolandomota

Veteran
I keep responding and changing my mind response is too long basically I got so much f2 Newberry that I don't know what to do with it I'm very put off by dj selection's maybe I will change my mind but growing a fucking half ounce when others are giving 2 3 or 4 ounce plants in the same time and growing conditions is just not cutting it I smoke all day every day I don't know 7 to 14 grams when have it just non stop all day smoking lots of strai...ok nevermind I need to shut up and sleep it's 109 am where I live mountain time like Colorado im out weed right now so I'm in insomnia mode tmi

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I’ve been sitting on a DJ pack of BB for 10-12 years...maybe longer. Before and In the meantime, I’ve grown Flo and F-13. The DJ lines are finicky but the quality is proven. I suspect if I grow the 12 ish beans from that old BB pack, I’d find a couple females with ‘keeper traits’ and certainly well worth an out cross.

picture.php

2020 outdoor F-13 getting ready to stack...

OZZ_

Veteran
I’ve been sitting on a DJ pack of BB for 10-12 years...maybe longer. Before and In the meantime, I’ve grown Flo and F-13. The DJ lines are finicky but the quality is proven. I suspect if I grow the 12 ish beans from that old BB pack, I’d find a couple females with ‘keeper traits’ and certainly well worth an out cross.

View Image

2020 outdoor F-13 getting ready to stack...

Nice Humble! That old pack should be fun to work through!

Since I started this thread awhile ago, I just thought I’d update here. I recently did a small grow with some of the Flo F5 and BB F5 from the current release. I still have around 20 beans of each to do a real pheno hunt at some point, but have to wait until I have more space (next year).

I popped a few right now though as I wanted to taste some of that old BB. I popped four Flo and four BB. Out of the four BB I got one female, and out of the four Flo I got two females.

The single, lone female I got absolutely smells like blueberry. It’s undeniably there and I didn’t even grow them right (first time using autopots and I used a heavy soil mix that caused waterlogging issues).

My point being, if anyone is questioning whether or not the smells are there.... they sure are. I seriously-seriously doubt I got lucky and just happened to get some lotto ticket female, rather Im assuming the line still has the goods and it’s not hard to find at all. If this single female smells like it, I’m sure there are plenty others too. I’ll find out for sure when I do a real pheno hunt through the remaining beans, for now I’ll keep ahold of this females clone and run her when I want to taste that yummy blueberry goodness. The Flo and bb are hanging as we speak.

Blueberry bud shot @ 6 weeks

picture.php

BB colas at chop

picture.php

picture.php

Flo bud shot/6 weeks

picture.php

Flo at chop

picture.php

browntrout

Veteran
Been searching and breeding blueberry for too long. I’m nearing the end of the search, but losing interest in the project. Lots of selection, open pollinations and selfing/feminized out crosses have yielded me a lanky early flowering blueberry Sativa with a more indica old school red eye high. Her and her hybrids smell like straight sweet pungent blueberries early -mid flower, some dry with a sour blueberry/berry jam smell but the mom and some of the hybrids just have a strong baked goods vanilla spice smell and taste when dried definitely “muffin”.

Gotta really figure out how to lock that blueberry nose into late flower and dried product. Anyone willing to do some testing let me know.

Lots of folks out there wishing blueberry into their nose when growing a lot of these strains found from various breeders. It’s a shame, keeps real products from developing further and becoming more prevalent.

OZZ_

Veteran
Been searching and breeding blueberry for too long. I’m nearing the end of the search, but losing interest in the project. Lots of selection, open pollinations and selfing/feminized out crosses have yielded me a lanky early flowering blueberry Sativa with a more indica old school red eye high. Her and her hybrids smell like straight sweet pungent blueberries early -mid flower, some dry with a sour blueberry/berry jam smell but the mom and some of the hybrids just have a strong baked goods vanilla spice smell and taste when dried definitely “muffin”.

Gotta really figure out how to lock that blueberry nose into late flower and dried product. Anyone willing to do some testing let me know.

Lots of folks out there wishing blueberry into their nose when growing a lot of these strains found from various breeders. It’s a shame, keeps real products from developing further and becoming more prevalent.

That’s something to consider, whether or not the smell carries into the jar.

However for me it doesn’t much matter, the blueberry of the mid 90’s I got back in the day did not smell like blueberries in the jar, nor do I remember any blueberry taste upon smoking. Rather what stands out in my memory, was that it was purple and green mottled nugs with a great euphoric high. If the plants smell like blueberries while they are growing (fresh blueberries, baked artificial blueberry type smells, blueberry muffin smells-doesn’t matter), and if the nugs come out that mottled purple and green appearance and most importantly if it has that great euphoric high.... then I’ll be decided that DJs Blueberry line still is an accurate representation of the mid 90’s blueberry I remember.

So far this plant certainly smells like blueberries, even as of yesterday at the time of the chop (53 days).... and the buds are green and purple so look like they’ll trim up and cure to the mottled purple and green buds just like I remember.

We will have to see how the high turns out, after all that’s the number one concern.

tiktok420

OZZ, I have been anxiously waiting for you to report back on the single BB you just finished. So what is your conclusion? Is it like the old school BB you speak of?

OZZ_

Veteran
OZZ, I have been anxiously waiting for you to report back on the single BB you just finished. So what is your conclusion? Is it like the old school BB you speak of?

Hi Tiktok :tiphat:

My apologies.... I went on and started a new thread, and am now re-running a clone of the original seed plant. About two-three weeks into flower now and she’s doing great. Thread is located here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=9059090#post9059090

To answer your question, I’d say absolutely yes. To me at least, and from my memories of the original blueberry we used to get back in the day, I’d say this is indeed a good representation. Keep in mind I only got one female, so I wasn’t able to compare phenotypes, but this single female alone has the attributes I remember. I have about twenty more seeds to look through so I’m excited to do that and see what comes of them.

The plant has a very distinct blueberry smell when flowering. That smell turns more towards baked muffins upon chop and in the jar it almost changes into a vanilla, baked cookies, baked pastry shop type smell. I wouldn’t say the berry smell is completely gone... it’s still there but at least on this plant it changes into a definite vanilla pastry smell like when you walk by a shop in a mall that is making waffle cones. That’s what it smells like to me.

The buds are exactly like I remember, green and purple mottled nugs, very dense.... and nicely sugar coated- filled with trichomes.

The potency has gotten stronger with cure and it’s taken on a lot more body too. Initially 2-3 weeks of cure it was of moderate strength but that has definitely jumped up to moderate to strong at this point. I wouldn’t call it very strong herb by any means but it’s not lacking. The misses and I took only two pulls each off a vape last night and it did us quite well!

The very noticeable thing that really gets me about this bud is that it has a very calming effect on my psyche, and this effect last for several days afterwords. I’m not referring to a narcotic effect and I’m not talking about a hangover or grogginess of any kind.

.... but rather just an at peace kind of tranquility that stays with me through my work day. Things that normally would get me worked up don’t quite bother me as much, but yet the herb doesn’t kill my drive to accomplish things like some heavy narcotic indicas do. It’s very balanced, very friendly, and puts one in a good state of mind and for me... that effect lasts two to three days even. I have several strong Sativa types and a another heavy indica or two Im smoking on as well and none of them have this after effect.

I tend to be edgy and for me, this is beautiful medicine. It’s not soaring or pyschedelic like some of the Sativas, and it’s not groggy, narcotic or draining like the indicas. It’s perfect.

My only complaints are that the plant itself is a bit fussy. My current grow is with my soil mix but I reduced the amount of organic amendments I used in the soil by about 60% and she still showed some nute burn in veg.... now that she’s into flowering she seems to be eating better and I haven’t seen an issue. I’d probably go straight promix, EWC with just a touch of kelp next time.... or even reduce the amendments further but she does seem to be loving life right now as she’s starting to stack.

If I were to nit pick further, I’d say it could use a tiny bit less body... it’s a tad heavier than I would like but I suppose that goes with the territory on an 80% indica hybrid. It may just be this particular phenotype and it’s possible other plants might be a bit lighter.... but the question is... if so will they keep the Tranquility effect that is so great? I don’t know but I’ll be sure to search through those beans properly when the time comes. It’s a great cultivar.

Hope that helps! Pop into my current thread if you like to see the finish on her, she is progressing rapidly and will likely be done in another 4-5 weeks. Just starting to give her some very light biobizz bloom feedings and she’s responding favorably.

midwestkid

Veteran
*** this is purely theoretical but bear with me ***
Sometimes I find myself thinking that the elusive "F1 Durb" from the cookies incident is actually someone trying to lead people away from the trail. Could it be that a plant from DJs catalogue is actually the missing link in the cookie recipe?
when I see these deep purple colors and the baked good descriptions I find myself pondering?