What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Respect?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I think the lack of integrity exists at all generations in the form of my view is the only acceptable one.

They are not mutually exclusive but none are all inclusive either.

The WWII generation did not forsee the wartime economy they created, the baby boomers the economical and ecological pillaging, and today's youth that nihilism simply causes the attenuation of apathy by projecting that the generations prior had verbose control and consciously made choices knowing the consequences. It doesn't offer the potential that we as well as our development of a society are in process and shaped by the pressures of our own actions.

Croissant

its not that I consciously choose to resent the older generations but it is there because it is a part of the ideology of the individual realizing their true potential that ideology pits everyone against each other. We can't all be Justin Bieber or James Bond.

CoCoSativas

I think the lack of integrity exists at all generations in the form of my view is the only acceptable one.

The WWII generation did not forsee the wartime economy they created, the baby boomers the economical and ecological pillaging, and today's youth that nihilism simply causes the attenuation of apathy by projecting that the generations prior had verbose control and consciously made choices knowing the consequences. It doesn't offer the potential that we as well as our development of a society are in process and shaped by the pressures of our own actions.

Thank you. Super legit post man. The present was certainly influenced by the past.

Where do young learn from?

As humans we are all lazy fucks... dosent mean it's to late to change where this is going...

i responded without reading the whole thread or even anything past the first post, but in my humble opinion. respect is something that is given freely, not earned. things like trust and loyalty can be earned, but respect cant.

you can trust someone and not respect them. and you can be loyal to someone without respecting them.

likewise you can also respect someone without feeling any loyalty or trust for them.

a lot of the time I think people feel like they are being disrespected when really they are just being distrusted, or betrayed.

also people also feel like they are being respected when they are simply being trusted, followed, feared, or envied

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
379538-59520-38.jpg

Croissant

I tottaly agree with you here.. You see though it only manifests that way because as a society we have made exploring those parts of our self taboo being deemed "negative." That is the real issue is we are unable to explore these parts of what bothers us because it targets us as defective to feel the negative affect that hasn't been symbolically expressed. Enstead that energy becomes channeled into consumable images that express our "uniqueness."

This identification with an autonomous homunclulus that has been corrupted by society that needs to be preserved in some fantasy or through they way we consume is the nihilism of today. The autonomous individual self image is a narcissistic illusion and our deification of that image pits us against each other.

LostTribe

Premium user
Respect gets Respect.

Disrespect and you will see what that gets you sooner or later I promise that!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Found this on IG the other day. It "may" have relevance here.

Some times people use the term respect to mean treating someone like a person and some times people use it to mean treating someone like an authority.

People who are used to being treated as an authority sometimes say "if you won't respect me, I won't respect you", but what they mean is "if you don't treat me like an authority I won't treat you like a person".

Terrible wording but the idea is there.

Grizz

Veteran
to me we can only blame parents , after all we raised them. if there disrespectfull its our fault, there are so many single parent that don't have time for there kids . work 2 jobs just to feed and house them, no time to teach them respect . so many factors involved. it aint easy

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
its a changing world out there, being respectful, courteous or polite is seen as a weakness by the masses. I often have to set people straight.

Latest posts

Latest posts