What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Respect?

dddaver

Veteran
Was I, were we, really as disrespectful to people when we were young as the newer generations are?

I even married an Asian partly because I liked how the Asian people respected the wisdom and experience of their elderly, so treated them thusly.

But young people these days seem to look at older people with disrespect and blame. Especially the millennials. I never have liked using labels like that to describe anything, but that one kinda describes it and conveys my meaning anyway.

But it's not just the millenials that are doing that, that apparent disrespect seems to span all the of the newer "generations" too.

It's like they think they are the reason for this newer acceptance of cannabis. That's just not true. Sanjay Gupta is not a millennial. Obama's not a millennial. Hardly anyone in a power position is a millennial.

My God, the older generation stopped an immoral war (Vietnam) through protesters dieing and continual picketing , etc. My generation were instrumental in getting a President who thought he was above the law removed (Nixon). This stuff happening now isn't at all because of the young, although their voices are heard, they are not the ones making the changes.

I get that young people are like that. I was one. I just don't think we were that disrespectful.

waveguide

Veteran
anything you do which displeases your seniors can be considered disrespectful, eg. long hair.. outrageous!

i'm sure your experience is valid, but i wouldn't worry about it - in the first place, there is so much social engineering and perception management in society that i find it farcical when people claim they are sovereign in their opinions and beliefs.. read: tavistock experience.

in the second place, if we are truly talking about respect, then each person is an individual. one person is one person, never to be associated with a group, vector or any representation. if ten kids are assholes, it's not "young people," it's ten kids, always has been, always will be, despite the resolute interests of those who would separate society and keep us quibbling (the u.s. is laughably segregated by age, even mentally.. and there is like zero perspective on this even though people like to think they know everything.. we *will* be fooled again).

shithawk420

Veteran
Im 27 and i have always respected my elders.99% of my friends are older than me.hell my old neighbor and drinking buddy just called me an hour ago.hes 73.but with this said i am deffinatly NOT like kids today.in the words of Rodney Dangerfield "I get no respect!"lol

dddaver

Veteran
anything you do which displeases your seniors can be considered disrespectful, eg. long hair.. outrageous!

i'm sure your experience is valid, but i wouldn't worry about it - in the first place, there is so much social engineering and perception management in society that i find it farcical when people claim they are sovereign in their opinions and beliefs.. read: tavistock experience.

in the second place, if we are truly talking about respect, then each person is an individual. one person is one person, never to be associated with a group, vector or any representation. if ten kids are assholes, it's not "young people," it's ten kids, always has been, always will be, despite the resolute interests of those who would separate society and keep us quibbling (the u.s. is laughably segregated by age, even mentally.. and there is like zero perspective on this even though people like to think they know everything.. we *will* be fooled again).

I hear you. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Thank-you for expressing your view-point. But please recognize what you wrote is exactly what that is, just as much as what I said was my opinion.

But please, I do not need more schooling, thanks. I get what you are saying but I'm afraid that view does fly in the face of most sociology studies. I thought I was nonspecific and general.

Sorry, but I have this problem when people come off as they know more than everyone else about something everyone deals with on a daily basis, but their view is different. I always hated school, but went because they DID know more.

BTW, I never said I worry about it. In fact I don't at all. I was just making a subjective observation of my own, how is that sovereign?.

7thson

I was and em respectful to my elders.I was taught that as a child and besides,if I wasn't I got my ass spanked.I do know what your saying.I notice it myself.

X

Xray Kimono

I dont think it is really disrespect as much as they just dont have to go through any daily struggles just to survive anymore. Which I do not hold against them. It has just developed a disinterest in things that are not their particular flavor of stimulation or DEstimulation. It is no longer a matter of survival to hold to cultural customs. It also is no danger in a LOT of areas to be ignorant of the necessary information to survive, nor do they have to work for it if they need it. It is in the palm of their hand with the touch of a button.

It isnt that they are disrespectful, it is just that the amount of useful and useless information flooded at the young generations make it harder for them to separate out what is pertinent and what is archaic. They dont know the story or struggles behind their freedoms to be quite as significant as we regard it because a million other stories just like it have been told now through movies and media.

They truly actually are just enjoying their freedoms, oblivious of any offenses and sometimes revelling in them.

At least that is what my daughter seems to think about it, as I am an old codger and she is a millenial.

We were just as young and weird and dumb.... Just in our own necessary ways to survive at the time and fight for our fun.

Peace!
Xray

waveguide

Veteran
that's cool. i don't worry at all either. lots of people don't make it to all, they only make it to some. i guess people can worry at some. i guess some can be all if you spell it different. however you want to take it.

waveguide

Veteran
i didn't mean, like, you want to take it, or to imply you even want it. it's an expression.

but i'd be a doofus if i explained that - like if i said you want to give it. oh damn i've done it again.

fuck i'd be a doofus however.

tbh i don't really want to give it or take it. i logged on for chat, now look what i've done. i don't know if this looks like disrespect to you, but seriously, your reaction is outside my scope of interests. i just talk because i'm a fuckwit.

B

bigganjabud

I blame society and the government

Years ago we used to get "a good hiding"
If we were little shits now though thats against the law

So kids dont respect there parents anymore and thats not exactly helping with how they respect the rest of the world

dddaver

Veteran
A little of my personal viewpoint here. I have 2 kids in their mid 30s and also one who is 28. There is a vast difference in the overall attitude and overall life choices between those 2 age groups.

And I see that difference not in just them only, but that entire cohort of their peers. The younger group (I think of as millennials), taken as a whole, seems to all exhibit similar behaviors. Kinda strange to me because we are talking only a 6-7 year age difference there.

Still I don't think making excuses, or taking blame for the actions of millennials lies anywhere but with them. The way I feel personally, is that my 28 year old is well past the age where she should be finding her place in the world, but seems reluctant to do that. But the fact is I can't do anything for her anymore, but just try to support her choices, whatever they are. But it has become to a point that I am just too old to be what she thinks I am still. She thinks I'm still just her Daddy, who does everything for her. She needs to do it, I can't do it for her. That's just my own thing here.

Again, I don't worry about it much, nor care really, it'll all work out. But I'm just getting too old for any of that that anymore. I just take my situation as, that I am the parent and always will be, whatever age my children are. And try to meet their needs as they present themselves.

I just find it strange there seems to be such huge differences between generations of those 2 time periods. I know this is just my opinion and I am certainly over generalizing some, but it just sure seems that way to me, and millions like me too.

X

Xray Kimono

I hear ya. I have a large family and i have cousins ranging all the way from 12 years old up to 50 and somewhere in the group between 27-33 is where the line seems to be right now of the ages that are present minded and the ones that are just fucktards wandering obliviously.. i just think the age of responsibility dawning on people is just older because there just is no survival or societal need for them to function...How many peoples jobs actually produce work and how many shuffle papers ABOUT work? This mindset is apparent in millenials that they really dont have to have a calling or actual function to survive and have an entertaining life. They just want to stare at glowing screens and speak popculture and get offended easily at "social disgraces" of political modern faux "human rights and social rights afflictions" that dont affect them, but they want to raise "awareness" about them. There is never a need for them to WORK which creates the lack of mindfulness of exactly how much work and dedication it took for others to get to their positions that afforded them luxury.

Last edited:

gekolite

same thing

same thing

A little of my personal viewpoint here. I have 2 kids in their mid 30s and also one who is 28. There is a vast difference in the overall attitude and overall life choices between those 2 age groups.

And I see that difference not in just them only, but that entire cohort of their peers. The younger group (I think of as millennials), taken as a whole, seems to all exhibit similar behaviors. Kinda strange to me because we are talking only a 6-7 year age difference there.

Still I don't think making excuses, or taking blame for the actions of millennials lies anywhere but with them. The way I feel personally, is that my 28 year old is well past the age where she should be finding her place in the world, but seems reluctant to do that. But the fact is I can't do anything for her anymore, but just try to support her choices, whatever they are. But it has become to a point that I am just too old to be what she thinks I am still. She thinks I'm still just her Daddy, who does everything for her. She needs to do it, I can't do it for her. That's just my own thing here.

Again, I don't worry about it much, nor care really, it'll all work out. But I'm just getting too old for any of that that anymore. I just take my situation as, that I am the parent and always will be, whatever age my children are. And try to meet their needs as they present themselves.

I just find it strange there seems to be such huge differences between generations of those 2 time periods. I know this is just my opinion and I am certainly over generalizing some, but it just sure seems that way to me, and millions like me too.
I have kids around the same age as yours , and are acting the same way as you described your kids , so your opinion is right on ,,,.fact in my world .

waveguide

Veteran
really should learn to shut my mouth at times... again, throwing stuff out, from shapes..

eg. if the vietnam generation stopped a war, they knew it was b.s.... which implies... implies..... that the rest of the stuff in their world sort of made sense.

i mean, i got to the u.s. in 80 (and i hear 74 was when cars stopped being made to last instead of fall apart). and society was still rudimentarily bearing a semblance of rationality then.

but look what you get now - there are very few products that don't have (i forget what it's officially called - built-in obsolescense or something..) aren't built to last a few years then make you replace them. and that's bullshit. no slightly sensate person wants to throw a dvd player or whatever on the trash heap every few years, but as time goes on, we gradually adjust to the increasing amount of bullshit and scams.. children born into this world, are always confronted by an older generation who seem to "tolerate" absolute fraud

and, you know, it burns the fuck out of you. every person wants to get along, cooperate towards a society that doesn't shit it's own arse, but that's what we all get. "want money? get in there and fuck people.." shit, until 2011 southern arizona paid $150 a quarter pound of homegrown, you try and tell that shit and people say "nuh uh it was brick". good luck getting an ounce for 150 today.

what kind of jobs should people get? maybe in media, where you can help mindfuck people into making mistakes and buying more dumb shit. the medical industry, where you can spend all day with the victims of the pharmas and their drug selling doctors. or you could teach people.. strictly regulated bullshit imparter.. be a rebel and try and sneak some practical stuff in there, and pay for that when they catch you et c. et c.

just shapes.. there are exceptions and many factors, but what's to respect about modern society? unending war.. total indifference to how western consumption screws papuans in their asses

i think we are all too many generations in this to realise how beat down we are, we just adapt to increasing corruption and try to make do, then complain when our kids balk, because we hope they will survive.

jai jinendra.

At 50 something with kids in their 20's, I don't see the millenials or young adults acting any differently than society has taught them to. With constant doom and gloom 1% propaganda filling their daily lives, from above. Balanced with a get-it-while-you-can-before-its-fucked greed mentality (like the seed biz) leads us to this point. Young people are more aware and less likely to follow this societal direction like their sheep parents and grandparent did. As most feel they can't affect real change (aside from voting), people turn against people, as if an individual of a certain age group are to blame for societal woes. Strong parenting and a respectful outlook sometimes leaves young people isolated from 'the good life' as portrayed by the 1%. I think us older folks act disrespectful towards the young far more than young people are disrespectful to their elders. Most elders I know deserve a smack upside the head with their bible IMO. The young are our future, dialogue and respect brings us all together, and remember old fogies these punks are responsible for your pensions, your drug plans, your old age security,and paying the bills that that is the baby boomer financial legacy. So next time you say to some kid you don't know "pull up your pants"! Expect a "fuck off!".... You deserve it!!!

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i'm still being told i need a haircut...haven't shaved in 2 1/2 years, and despise the image on the curtain.

respect to all who refuse the queue.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Old/young, its all a state of mind, with age being nothing but relative.

Respect is not the name of a one way street :D

Storm Shadow

Veteran
RESPECT is a 2 way street ...

Age has nothing to do with it.... its all about your character and how you carry yourself

If your a NPD Prick... you'll never get RESPECT

It helps to be raised in any country besides the USA or if your from the Era Pre -Social Media ...new kids are retarded and have no social awareness .. So respect comes with learning the ways of how other humans interact with one another

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
us old people are full of great advice because we ignored and disrespected the people who gave the same advice to us. fact is we had to learn the hard way and so did our parents

it's a cycle

every single parent out there has said "don't touch that it's hot" and every single kid still gets burned by life because they just aren't wired to listen. they are wired to feel pain and avoid it later just like their parents were but can't understand that as a parent you try to avoid the pain of watching your kids fuck up by giving them unwanted advice

and the cycle starts again

amannamedtruth

Veteran
RESPECT is a 2 way street ...

Age has nothing to do with it.... its all about your character and how you carry yourself

If your a NPD Prick... you'll never get RESPECT

It helps to be raised in any country besides the USA or if your from the Era Pre -Social Media ...new kids are retarded and have no social awareness .. So respect comes with learning the ways of how other humans interact with one another

Yea, I have a strong hunch that social media is a huge contributor to a more passive aggressive demeanor that seems to more and more prevalent among said users.