What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Red's back

THoC

Great to see you posting back on the boards. Lurked on your old thread and am happy to see that your up and running again and sharing.
Good growing!
peace

I2KanGrow

Hey RED!!

Whoo-Hoooo - The legend has entered the building!
Seriously - it's really great to see you back, I'm looking forward to watching your grow, and gaining more of your advice!

Last edited:
G

guest 77721

Wow, it's nice when old friends drop by and new ones too, THoc.

It's great to be back - I2. Hope you're still growing!!! Did you ever get your NGB cab off the ground?

Pull up a couch, take off your feet and stay a while.

C

Cozy Amnesia

The great thing about the micro forum is the variety of innovative grow cabs, you demonstrate this beautifully redgreenry. I too was inspired by your rubbermaid grow, check out my sig. to see the only other 150w rubbermaid grow other than the one I saw you make a while back.

I2KanGrow

...Since you asked, Red - GO HERE!
Your return inspired me to come out of the closet again, figuratively speaking, and tell about my new cab!

Never mentioned it - it's a 150w cab

Joey56789

Wow red, I am in the process of building a Rubbermaid that is very similar to the one you got there. I will post pics when it's done. So am I correct that the only cooling fan you have going is that Hamilton Beach filter? Which one, and how many CFM does it move? How much difference in temp was there between ambient with those 8 bulbs?

Blue_adept

Welcome back man. There has been some really great tub grows around here while you were gone, you started a trend.

G

guest 77721

Hey Cozy, welcome to the lodge. Man you sure grew a tree in your Rubbermaid. I sure like your new cabinet design, it looks sweet!!!

Wow, I2KanGrow, that's some nice cabinet you built there! You've come a long long way baby!!! I know you did a couple of run's with the old R2D2 design. You nailed my ventilation system right on with it. Did you ever get a 4 oz grow. I remember you pulled 3 zips on your first grow and had nothing but problems with your water from the salts from the water conditioner.

Hey Blue Adept, welcome back to the lodge. I think you asked me a million questions when you were building your tub. I really like the inside ducting and the huge light box. Very innovative. I used your top tub idea to make my basic Rubbermaid tub.

Hey Joey, the basic Rubbermaid tub with the hamilton beach air filter is just a quick box that I tossed together. It runs about 25C inside with 4 x 26W lights.

Here's the high performance R2D2 design in my old thread. It has the best designed ventilation system of any cab going using the least amount of fans.

12309252W_Tub_p3-thumb.JPG
12309252W-thumb.JPG

This is the 252 W CFL version running 6 x 42W @ 100 W/Sqft. There is a 80mm 38CFM cooling the lights with a 100mm 65CFM fan in the scrubber that passes about 10-15 CFM

12309HPS_Tub3-thumb.JPG
12309hps_p2-thumb.JPG
12309HPS_Tub2-thumb.JPG

Here's the 150 HPS upgrade with no mod's to the ventilation. It runs 1* C above ambient as well.

Here's my air filter design using two Sterilite containers. The small one must fit inside the large one.

The bottom is cut out of the small tub, I left a small rib in the center to support the screening.
Glue the window screen in place with the epoxy.

The lid of the large box is cut so that the small box with fit into it.

Intake holes are cut into the large box and the dryer adapters are fitted onto it. You can just duct tape it to the side if you don't have the adapters. This is probably the first time that duct tape is actually used for it's intended purpose. The flap is removed from the dryer adapter and I use a hack saw to trim off the pipe on one side.

A computer fan and a dryer hose adapter is fitted onto the lid of the small box.

When the filter is all assembled, I take silicone caulking and seal up crack where the small box goes into the large box lid.

My setup uses 1/2 lb of activated charcoal for a filter depth of 1" that I buy at the pet store. The 1" layer is good for the whole grow.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
12309252W_Tub_p3-thumb.JPG
12309252W-thumb.JPG

This is the 252 W CFL version running 6 x 42W @ 100 W/Sqft. There is a 80mm 38CFM cooling the lights with a 100mm 65CFM fan in the scrubber that passes about 10-15 CFM

12309HPS_Tub3-thumb.JPG
12309hps_p2-thumb.JPG
12309HPS_Tub2-thumb.JPG

Here's the 150 HPS upgrade with no mod's to the ventilation. It runs 1* C above ambient as well.

Which rubbermaid did you find produced more for you? the 252w of CFL or the 150w HPS?

Was the bud growth different between the two? Like one box was more or less dense or more or less resiny?

G

guest 77721

Hey Blynx, grab a beer from the fridge and find yourself a spot on the comfy couch by the woodstove.

On my last grow with the 150 HPS, the plants showed the same traits as other plants that I grew under the CFL's. I got about the same yeild and quality from both light systems.

The only think I could see different was there was less foliage growth with the HPS. I modified my cabinet to use two 42W along with the 150HPS but was unable to finish the grow. The plants looked great but were only in 12/12 for a week or so.

Here's my LUI, Thai Lights, Shiskaberry and Dutch Treat seedlings. I don't know what happened to my green thumb lately. The last three grows, I've had nothing but problems getting the seedlings going.

On this grow, I made a light soil mix with 2 parts MG soil and 2 parts Perlite in peat cups. I was too agressive and stuck them in my grow box with too much light and too much ventilation. They started coming around then got worse. I transplanted them into the beercups with my old soil recipe using 2 parts Peat Moss, 1 part Vermiculite, 1 part Perlite, dolomite lime, blood and bone meal.

I moved them a bit lower from the light and have them on a 18/6 schedule. They seem to be coming around now.

G

guest 77721

Hey guys, here's an update on my seedlings. I went and got them light stressed by sticking them in grow cabinet with too much light too early. I've swapped out the bulbs down to 13W CFL's with about 25w/sqft and went on a light schedule of 18/6. They've turned the corner and are looking much better.

Here's the LUI (left) and Shiskaberry (right)

The Dutch Treat (left) and Thai Lights (right)

G

guest 77721

Hey InpotItrust and kushonkush.
Welcome to the lodge.
Grab a beer from the fridge and find a place to park.

InPotiTrust

I've been parked Red now i'm just flying in the heavens.I can tell it's been awile since u popped some seeds lol.I wonder what it's gona be like when i take a break for awile.

G

guest 77721

I'm having fun rebuilding the old cabinet and getting the seedlings going. I always took a little break between grows. My style has been to grow from seeds, reveg and shut down for a while with 3-6 zips. I enjoy growing and the fruits of my labour. It's not a big deal to take a break for a bit.

C

Cozy Amnesia

Hey Blynx, grab a beer from the fridge and find yourself a spot on the comfy couch by the woodstove.

On my last grow with the 150 HPS, the plants showed the same traits as other plants that I grew under the CFL's. I got about the same yeild and quality from both light systems.

The only think I could see different was there was less foliage growth with the HPS. I modified my cabinet to use two 42W along with the 150HPS but was unable to finish the grow. The plants looked great but were only in 12/12 for a week or so.

Here's my LUI, Thai Lights, Shiskaberry and Dutch Treat seedlings. I don't know what happened to my green thumb lately. The last three grows, I've had nothing but problems getting the seedlings going.

On this grow, I made a light soil mix with 2 parts MG soil and 2 parts Perlite in peat cups. I was too agressive and stuck them in my grow box with too much light and too much ventilation. They started coming around then got worse. I transplanted them into the beercups with my old soil recipe using 2 parts Peat Moss, 1 part Vermiculite, 1 part Perlite, dolomite lime, blood and bone meal.

I moved them a bit lower from the light and have them on a 18/6 schedule. They seem to be coming around now.

That's too bad to hear about your first grow using HPS, but I you say you're putting in another 150w later? The 150w HPS penetrates the foliage about half a foot more than floros, but you can grow the colas about 3 or 4 inches from the bulb if you're cooling it!

G

guest 77721

I did one grow with a 150HPS and then the next grow with the 150 HPS and 2 x 42W was aborted. I really wanted to see how the mixed spectrum would work out. There wasn't too much difference between my previous 252CFL grows and the 150HPS other than the HPS didn't promote much foliage growth in flowering where the CFL's seem to keep the plant vegging and flowering at the same time.

G

guest 77721

I've been away all weekend at a friends camp up in the bush. It's totally inaccessable except by ATV or snowmobile. A bunch of us snowshoed in and partied all weekend.

My seedlings are doing terrible. I think my problem is that my basement is too cold for them. The cabinet is up against an outside wall and the incoming air is 18-20C or about 65-58C with the cab running 20-21C with the lights on.

I moved the cabinet upstairs to a closet in a spare bedroom where my previous grows have been.

Latest posts

Latest posts