What's new

My new cab - Female seed NL

I2KanGrow

Isn't it strange, you can be driving along, and in a flash, your life radically changes in a split second?

This is exactly what happened to me, please let me explain.

Me and a bunch of my ICMag friends were debating modifications to the ever-famous, ever-popular NGB cab OVER HERE, - I personally started-out like a ball-afire, but frankly, things weren't going so well for my design, as time went on. You know how things should get simpler & fall into place as the design gets more refined? well, just the opposite was happening to my NGB cab design - I was dispirited, to say the least!

Anyways, I built a bake-a-round cooltube hood, and some miscellaneous & sundry cab parts, and then I just kinda put it all-aside when life got busy - yes, I let the thread die, and my parts collected dust.

Oh - back to my car. I was driving to work last fall, when all of a sudden I came across this oaken armoir on the side of the road with a "Free" sign stuck on it. I turned the car around, sped home (all the while praying that nobody else needed a really great grow cab, and the county sheriff was hassling someone else/somewhere else!), I got the pick-up, and, well, picked-it-up. Needless to say I was late for work that day.

This baby was made for growing herb - here's what she looks like
when closed - And Opened:

The cab didn't have doors, I added those, but the dimensions of the open area - 29" wide, by 24" deep, by 42" tall were PERFECT for my needs! I have an NGB styled 5 gallon SWC rez, made with busboy tubs, only 2 netpots for plants (any more would really be a waste for me), and up to 17" of clearance over the screen to the bottom of the hood, when it's in place. The whole mess slides-out on rails, for easy maintenance.

I'll just let pictures tell some of the story...

You may have noticed the lack of an electrical room, scrubber & associated wires? I decided to have the cab interior a veg/flower room only, and as clutter-free as possible, so everything supporting is external to the cab. I put the cab on lockable wheels, easy to move, if you know to unlock the wheels, a real bitch to move if you don't. The cab lives right next to another cabinet where I store my power tools - it fits right in. It's hiding in plain sight - stealth to the max! There is a bit of "aquarium gurgle" that can be heard - anyone have suggestions for muffling that?

The ballast is on a shelf 4 ft. away, and the scrubber is actually in another room. The mason jars on top of the cab hide the 4" exhausts for the scrubber & cooltube. with the cooltube in, the cab runs about 2-degrees F above room temps. I pulled the tube out, because my plants were growing slow, because of the low temps - a problem I can live with! I'm running 150w both for MH & HPS.

I mounted my ballasts (yes, I have seperate ballasts for MH & HPS, couldn't make a conversion w/ my HPS ballast - BUMMER!) on a hunk of heatsink, to dissipate heat, it still gets quite warm to the touch, I can't imagine how hot it would get inside an NGB box electrical room. I wanted to show you my scrubber, which I made a thread for HERE, but perhaps didn't explain too well. There's a shaded-pole blower in the bottom of my scrubber housing, so I pull air from the cab, and thru the scrubber - no pushing air here - works great!

Let me set the way-back machine to the very end of November, when I decided to germinate my only remaining seed - a Female Seeds Northern Light.

I got off to a shaky start with my girl - I was impatient with her and took cuttings way too soon (hey - 'Cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do! :violin: ), so the cuttings (and mom) were looking a bit worse-for-the-wear for a while, for sure.

Here's what the girls look like now. I just placed the screen over them, time to start training them. In a few weeks, it'll be switch to HPS, and flip to flower. Perhaps you noticed that PVC cap on top of my rez? This allows me to take H2O quality readings, along with allowing me a means of adding fluids as needed, without the need to take the lid off. Works great!

I have a piece of plastic hose I can use to siphon fluids right into a sump hole, when I'm ready to change-out my fert-water. I also have a 2nd busboy tub, to hold my girls, should I need to repair/scrub-out my rez.

BTW - In case you're wondering - bonzai mom lives in a 12" X 12" X 36" room, and seems to be diggin' it.

So, that's what I've been doing in my spare time the past few months -
-what do you think???????

Last edited:

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
fair play, between this and Luv2Blaze's cab, I've decided none of you are ever seeing mine :wink:

seriously...another awesome cab - top marks, brother :smile:

G

A great find man, and impeccable use of it. I can't wait to see it explode, I'm sure your thread will follow. No dust on this baby!

Man, I am watching you like a hawk. I'm working on my first design and praying my thought and effort isn't going to burn out on the limitations of my space and experience. Overthinking everything without knowing where it's going to end is frightening. I'm subscribing and hoping to go to school :lurk:

Good luck, though I think you probably don't need it.

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Great design work! I understand completely how you went from working hard on your cab design to letting it sit and collect dust in frustration. I've felt that way at times as we build ours, but our medical need is too great to just let it sit around at this point; we can't afford to keep paying full cost for our medicine every month. That and we have some real pretty ladies that are just begging to be put under and HPS!

L

Luv2Blaze

Awsome looking cabinet bro! looks like you put a lot of hard work into it.
I love the homemade reflectors, and the PVC used to hold the net cups for support! Great job!

G

guest 77721

Wow!!! You sure have been a busy beaver!

Your cab looks better than store bought!!! I can't believe you found that on the side of the road with a free sign on it.

I'd be putting up some build details, that looks like a solid design. Quite a move up from the Rubbermaid's eh!

Peace RG

I2KanGrow

Hey - Thanks-all for the kind words!

dotblunt: your suggestion would make sense if my cab weren't located in my basement, it's the furnace dude, or the Orkin dude that I'm worried about! A good plan if I decide to move into my main living space, thou, thanks!

c'mon JamieShoes: we showed you ours, it's time for you to show us yours! :yoinks:

AesNewGrower: here's to explosions only in growth! Thanks for the kind words! I'm feeling your pain RE: overthinking, I do the same - it's called pathological perfectionism, and while it sounds good, it can be a real pain in the butt to finish ANYTHING. Good luck on your grow!

Hey K.J: thanks for the encouragement, good luck on your grow also! I have a feeling that "the ladies" don't really care about the rooms we build for them, it's the care that matters to them, right??

Luv2Blaze: Thanks for the props on the PVC work - I wanted to maximize my rez space, so I thought lifting the net pots up like that would give me an extra gallon or so. The top of the rez is leftover sheet goods from the hood - waste not - want not!

j.guit.err: thanks for the props, guy!!

OK A QUESTION: I've got these HUGE fan leaves, bigger then anything I had in my rubbermaid, as big as my outdoor grow, in fact. Should I remove the big-uns, to make room for the others to catch-up?

FWIW - I thought you'd be interested to know - I'm using Dyna-Grow ferts, 3-parts grow, 1-part bloom, and a splash of cal-mag +. 550ppms seems to be the "sweet-spot", pH remains constant, and the levels don't bounce at all. If I take the ppms above 550, I start to get crispy leaves, does this make sense? 550ppms sounds low to me... I wonder how peeps on these boards get their ppms up to 1200, without frying their ladies tushies!!

Mehh, I guess whatever works, right?

Thanks once-again, folks!!

I2KanGrow

Wow!!! You sure have been a busy beaver!

Your cab looks better than store bought!!! I can't believe you found that on the side of the road with a free sign on it.

I'd be putting up some build details, that looks like a solid design. Quite a move up from the Rubbermaid's eh!

Peace RG

Thanks Red - Solid in more ways then one: it's ALL 3/4" oak veneer-core, and weighs a TON!

I like the convenience of just swinging a door open, and pulling a tray out, without even bending-over to do the gardening. I thought I was going to end-up removing the 3 drawers below the cab, but as it turns-out, I really like having a place to store my crap!

This hydro stuff is new to me, though - jury is still out, but so far, so good! Fingers are assuming the crossed position.

Last edited:
G

guest 77721

I love being able to open a door an peek at my plants. I put together the quickie rubbermaid and could only take a week of lifting the lid before I put the cabinet back together again.

Get that hydro dialed in and I'll be bugging you for advice soon...

G

guest 77721

BTW - In case you're wondering - bonzai mom lives in a 12" X 12" X 36" room, and seems to be diggin' it.

So, that's what I've been doing in my spare time the past few months -
-what do you think???????

Hey that mother box looks a lot like my CFL/HPS cab design. LOL

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
c'mon JamieShoes: we showed you ours, it's time for you to show us yours! :yoinks:

:eek:: ok but no laffing, it does what I need it to do and I'm the least handy person you ever met :wink:

155watt blue CFL (you cant see the 125 eco, but its in a "regular" reflector from the store (E40) it's on chains and s-hooks for adjustment
Exhaust is either handled by the 10cm PC fan at the rear or from a duct running to my ac junction box (which is then fed into my flower tent for scrubbing)
Internal fan is the 18cm clip fan you see.
Temps are a steady 27c - Humidity depends on when I last watered
Inside is painted white (satin finish - I can't read dutch and bought the wrong paint..lol)
box is waterproofed and light sealed (with duct tape mostly)
the front is now one big panel - held on with door magnets

erm thats about it really :smile:

Attachments

• group hug.jpg
    group hug.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 19
  • done.cab.lights.on.jpg
    done.cab.lights.on.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 18

I2KanGrow

Hey that mother box looks a lot like my CFL/HPS cab design. LOL

Yeah, it's just like you're box, only, from standing 10 ft. away - right?

I've got each, a warm & cool 10w CFL in the top, the lamp housing is being cooled by a CPU fan (TINY!), & the cab is vented by an old computer power supply fan.

So I figure I can keep my bonsai mom for about 25 watts. She only needs watering every 5-6 days - in short: she's quite low maintenance...

... a great quality in any mom!!

(I may be in trouble w/ that line -ehhh?)

I2KanGrow

Well thought out indeed. What is that reservoir lid, and how can I get one?

Hey, welcome aboard, Green Smoke.

The lid is made from scrap sheet metal from my hood fabrication. I made the "netpot risers" by sawing a 5" PVC pipe coupler in half with a radial arm saw - so 1 coupler made both risers. I cut the holes in the lid using a sabre saw w/ a fine-toothed hacksaw blade, and used epoxy (the waterproof stuff that comes in a stick), then caulk to attach the coupler halves to the lid.

The access hatch in the front consists of a small piece of 2" PVC pipe, and I friction-fit a 2" cap on it for light proofing and to keep the water from spitting-out. (I have 4 water-wall bubblers epoxy-ed in the bottom of the rez - lotza-bubbles!)

I put some 3/4" wide weatherstripping on the inside perimeter of the lid, for a tight seal over the rez, also.

I epoxy-ed 4 hose barbs into the top, so that I could disconnect the top from the air easily, and last-but-not-least, I nylon-bolted/caulked those 4 3/4" PVC caps to the top of the lid to hold my SCRoG screen.

All-in-all, it works really quite well!!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Great work on a great find.

After trying a number of different diffusers, I'm going back to reg old airstones. With a T splitter, so each line feeds two stones, I find the noise level is less. Still trying to find the reciept for some disc style diffusers I bought the other day. All they do is store up air and let it go in a huge single BLORP!

Fan leaves are solar panels. Unless they're causing trouble by collecting condensation, I leave them on.

I2KanGrow

Great work on a great find.

After trying a number of different diffusers, I'm going back to reg old airstones. With a T splitter, so each line feeds two stones, I find the noise level is less. Still trying to find the reciept for some disc style diffusers I bought the other day. All they do is store up air and let it go in a huge single BLORP!

Fan leaves are solar panels. Unless they're causing trouble by collecting condensation, I leave them on.

Thanks for the props, Freez - I keep an eye on all that you do for sure! Hey, are you still using the Phion pH strips? You mentioned that you'd be using them - I followed your lead and bought some for myself. They have a perfect range (4.5 - 9.0), and seem to give very consistent readings - thanks for that tip!

OK - I'll leave the leaves on - here's 1 that I took off: remember, we're talking about a 150w microgrow here - I was stunned at how big these fan leaves get in that little cab!

I'm using an eco-air 4-port compressor, which has a volume control on it (you can take that both ways!). If I turn it down, I can get the cab pretty quiet, but I'm assuming that when it comes to bubbles, more is better, right?

Let us know what you discover w/ regard to making a quieter air system.

I2KanGrow

Hi-All:

Wanted to share how I manage my air intake. Perhaps you noticed the 2 box-bulges on the sides of my cab?

I thought you'd like to see how they work - I neglected to take pictures, so here's a couple of SketchUps of them...

Air comes-into the cab from 2" X 11" slots cut into the back of the cab, 3 - 2" PVC pipes w/ 45-degree cuts on the ends. The short ends (the 45-deg cut ends - inside the baffles, that is) are facing away from the slots, & carry the air from the baffle to the cab, the long ends butt right up to the wall on the other side of the baffle.

All baffle inside surfaces are painted flat black - there's NO light leaking from these baffles at all, and inside the cab, the baffles act as a shelf support, a means of raising my "stuff", for when I'm starting a new grow (see my seed starting images @ the top of this thread).

Latest posts

Latest posts