What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RDWC Grow Along!

crunkinshoe

Snype, thanks so much for detailing your grows. It has been very helpful in setting up my own system.

Do you leave your lights on 24 hours in veg-A and B?

Snype

Veteran
Snype, thanks so much for detailing your grows. It has been very helpful in setting up my own system.

Do you leave your lights on 24 hours in veg-A and B?

Glad it helped. Ill have more detailed grows and vertical system tests as well.

As far as light schedules in Veg-A, it depends if I have a timer on hand. If not I go 24 but with a timer I go 19 hours on. Veg-B is always 18 on.

That explanation helped a lot. Cleared a ton of confusion for me. Appreciate it.

Next time everything will be planned out to the T. It was a spur of the moment investment to get this going. I started cuts on rockwool but did not control the conditions enough so I didn't see the results I wanted so I switched to the EZ cloner. Another big reason why I decided to do that is because I knew the flooding cycle would be entirely different if the cuts were in cubes and hydroton and I wanted to be able to use the Part 2 thread as a guide for Veg A, especially since I cAn't personally be there to see them everyday. It seemed like the best move for me to make, but now I see that it could cause me problems if revegging takes too long compared to the rate of root growth. I definitely will never be taking flowering clones again

I have taken note that you said not to go to flooding every hour. That makes sense to me. One thing I was wondering is the lighting I should use now. In the post before this one, you mention that you typically go 19 hrs on during Veg A. My thinking is that this would only slow down the upper growth further for me, which is something I can't have. So I'm thinking I should keep it on 24. The light is currently 15" from the tops of the plants which are now branching out of the bud. Do you recommend that I keep lowering the light so as to accelerate growth? Canopy temp is 77F, water temp is 68 F.

Snype

Veteran
That explanation helped a lot. Cleared a ton of confusion for me. Appreciate it.

Next time everything will be planned out to the T. It was a spur of the moment investment to get this going. I started cuts on rockwool but did not control the conditions enough so I didn't see the results I wanted so I switched to the EZ cloner. Another big reason why I decided to do that is because I knew the flooding cycle would be entirely different if the cuts were in cubes and hydroton and I wanted to be able to use the Part 2 thread as a guide for Veg A, especially since I cAn't personally be there to see them everyday. It seemed like the best move for me to make, but now I see that it could cause me problems if revegging takes too long compared to the rate of root growth. I definitely will never be taking flowering clones again

I have taken note that you said not to go to flooding every hour. That makes sense to me. One thing I was wondering is the lighting I should use now. In the post before this one, you mention that you typically go 19 hrs on during Veg A. My thinking is that this would only slow down the upper growth further for me, which is something I can't have. So I'm thinking I should keep it on 24. The light is currently 15" from the tops of the plants which are now branching out of the bud. Do you recommend that I keep lowering the light so as to accelerate growth? Canopy temp is 77F, water temp is 68 F.

I'm not sure what light that you're using but I'm going to assume you're using either a 4 bulb T5 or a 6 bulb T5. If so, I'd wait until the root growth gets to about this picture here:
picture.php

Once you see that, I'd drop the light right on top of them and flood every 2 hours. I probably wouldn't even go to 1 hour floods in your current situation.

As far as taking cuts in rockwool and putting them into VEG-A, it's exactly the same except the flood cycle changed to every 6-8 hours on the first 3 days and then it drops down to 4 hours on day 4 and drops down to every hour by the 7th or 8th day if you are the man.

The light is a Sunblaze T5 6 bulb. I started with two of the six bulbs off so I'll turn them back on when i see roots similar to that picture and drop the light on top of them. Here is the day6 and 7 data:

Veg A Day 6

room temp: 75 F
Water temp: 67 F
rH: 35%

ppm pre: 560
pH pre: 6.2
top off: n/a
added: pH down
ppm post 1: 560
ppm post 2: n/a
pH post: 6.0

Veg A Day 7

rH: 31%

pH pre: 6.0
Top off: n/a

Will post pics in next post.

Also another quick question. When using the 20 gallon Botanicare Rez, is there a minimum amounr of water you allow to leave the system before topping off? At this point, it seems to require less than a 1 cup per day top off which is why nothing was added to top off the Rez on day 6 and 7. If you think I should top it off every day though even if it's less than a cup, I'll do that

Snype

Veteran
The light is a Sunblaze T5 6 bulb. I started with two of the six bulbs off so I'll turn them back on when i see roots similar to that picture and drop the light on top of them. Here is the day6 and 7 data:

Veg A Day 6

rH: 35%

pH pre: 6.2
top off: n/a
added: pH down
pH post: 6.0

Veg A Day 7

rH: 31%

pH pre: 6.0
Top off: n/a

Will post pics in next post.

Looks good but your rH is really low. You should try to find a way to bump that up to at least 60%. You should also try to collect the data of how much of each thing is added so you can get used to judging how much you are going to need without having to keep adding and coming back. It'll come in more handy when you get to the RDWC system because you will probably be adding back nutes every few days if your plants are really happy.

Also another quick question. When using the 20 gallon Botanicare Rez, is there a minimum amounr of water you allow to leave the system before topping off? At this point, it seems to require less than a 1 cup per day top off which is why nothing was added to top off the Rez on day 6 and 7. If you think I should top it off every day though even if it's less than a cup, I'll do that
You don't need to top off every day. You need to top off if your PPM is rising or at the point where the water can't reach the plants roots anymore. I think you know what I mean. Like if the rez is half full, it won't fill all the way up to the plants roots.

The plants look good but you can see it's way off from my Day 7 Veg-A. You know why. But regardless I can tell that the plants are taking well from how they look to me. I'd try and get the light right on top of them as soon as you can. As long as the plants can handle it. You might be able to get it close when you're flooding every 3 hours. You want it close to get them out of flowering as fast as possible with the lights on full time. Seems like you're doing pretty well. You'd be doing amazing if your cuts came from veg moms. Good job though. Welcome to hydro!

Word thanks man. I've been flooding every 3 hours since day 4 and its day 7 now. I was planning to drop the light down gradually over the next day or two and see how they respond. The roots don't quite look like that picture you sent but when they do I'll get flooding to every 2 hours.

I see what you mean about topping off. Got it. I'm going to buy a bigger/better humidifier cause it's really dry at my location this time of year. I'll do my best to reach 60% rH

I have been making sure that each amount of whatever is added is recorded. Just didn't want to lose the message so it wasn't in there. Will try to post data on a computer as much possible so I can include everything

Snype

Veteran
Word thanks man. I've been flooding every 3 hours since day 4 and its day 7 now. I was planning to drop the light down gradually over the next day or two and see how they respond. The roots don't quite look like that picture you sent but when they do I'll get flooding to every 2 hours.

I see what you mean about topping off. Got it. I'm going to buy a bigger/better humidifier cause it's really dry at my location this time of year. I'll do my best to reach 60% rH

Yeah I know what you mean about the rH right now. You'll be surprised though. Once the plants get bigger they will transpire more and your rH will be too high and you'll need a dehumidifier. Just plan for that as well just in case. That's later on though. You've had this cut for a while so you know how picky she can be. She'll be a real bitch if you don't give her perfect conditions. She likes cool temps Especially at the canopy. I don't like my canopy temps going over 75. She'll grow airy and foxtail on you if she's not perfect. Too much light will also cause this in her. At around 42 day of flower after peak flower period has ended, you'll see that the plants won't eat as much. This is the time that you will want to raise the light or turn down the setting on the light or she'll end up foxtailing on you. She can be a real bitch. She's not the easiest plant to grow but she yields more than most plants that I've seen and she's real potent and has crazy flavor.

She is by far my favorite strain ive ever come across. Nothing matches the potency/flavor/smell combo. Nothing I have seen yet anyways. I'm lucky I got the chance to have her these past 3 years and I don't plan on ever losing her. i owe you big!

Snype

Veteran
She is by far my favorite strain ive ever come across. Nothing matches the potency/flavor/smell combo. Nothing I have seen yet anyways. I'm lucky I got the chance to have her these past 3 years and I don't plan on ever losing her. i owe you big!

I'm glad that you realized that from the day I gave that to you. I still remember the day. After I lost her the first time, I didn't even think you would still have it so I was real surprised that you did. So we both owe each other. She really is special so I feel you. Her potency is crazy and the flavor as well. When I first found her, I had no idea how special she really was because I've never had a clone only before. Once I started to get some clone only's, I knew she was great. So far nothing has matched her potency and the yield she brings is crazy. If you only saw her sister though. She was the ChemDD#4. She yielded so much more than this pheno. I kind of wish I still had the #4 to retest but I probably had a good reason for eliminating her. I'm just high off the StarDawg thinking. Anyway, can't wait to see how you do in the RDWC.

S

salgado

Snype OK I must admit failure. Not total failure or defeat but how about some sound advice for my future? AND PLEASE don't say grow in soil... haha

I started this RDWC and due to my lack of experience I have really got these girls off to a rough start in life. On top of being a RDWC NOOB I am doing this grow as a scrog (my first scrog too) and I feel like I took on too much all at once.

So my plants are finally starting to look ok and I mean OK with a grain of salt. They are almost 4 weeks into veg and an average height of about 22"

MY QUESTION

Im wondering, would it be better to cut a few clones from the healthy new growth and start from scratch without the scrog net and start all over again with really good data and grow beauties?

OR

Should I just keep nursing these girls and hope I haven't fucked them up too much already?

The main problems I was having (I now know for certain) was from way too much light bouncing humidity levels and probably not a great understanding of the nutrient levels. Both of which I am starting to understand better now and have a firm grip on controlling. I can post a few pics if you would like.

Snype

Veteran
Snype OK I must admit failure. Not total failure or defeat but how about some sound advice for my future? AND PLEASE don't say grow in soil... haha

I started this RDWC and due to my lack of experience I have really got these girls off to a rough start in life. On top of being a RDWC NOOB I am doing this grow as a scrog (my first scrog too) and I feel like I took on too much all at once.

So my plants are finally starting to look ok and I mean OK with a grain of salt. They are almost 4 weeks into veg and an average height of about 22"

MY QUESTION

Im wondering, would it be better to cut a few clones from the healthy new growth and start from scratch without the scrog net and start all over again with really good data and grow beauties?

OR

Should I just keep nursing these girls and hope I haven't fucked them up too much already?

The main problems I was having (I now know for certain) was from way too much light bouncing humidity levels and probably not a great understanding of the nutrient levels. Both of which I am starting to understand better now and have a firm grip on controlling. I can post a few pics if you would like.

Feel free to post up some pics. I forget what type of light that you are using right now but 22" is rather large. I thought you were growing in a little closet. I flower out my ChemDD once it reaches 17" and it stretches to 42" in flowering.

Why don't you consider documenting your grow in this thread and taking weekly pictures and putting your data here. I could guide you much easier that way. I don't think taking on RDWC and a SCROG at the same time is too much to handle. Honestly, it's probably necessary to have a SCROG if you are in a small space.

I think you're over thinking things because it's all pretty basic if you follow the formula. Don't go looking at company's feeding charts to guide you. Just stick to the formula that I use. I think it's best to trust the methods that I have and get a crop under your belt. You can do any experimenting after that.

So I would just take new cuts from 1 plant. Don't mix different pheno's into a system. Make them all the same pheno. You can either take the cuts in an aero cloner or in 1.5" rockwool cube or some type of root plugs but not in soil.

The other issue is that I promote my VEG-A techniques in my threads. VEG-A isn't RDWC it's a hanging E&F. It gives your plants an advantage and I always recommend it to people to decrease the chance of losing a crop by focusing on roots first. In RDWC there's no room for error. My VEG-A process builds the root system to have a better chance to take on any future RDWC stress's. You don't need to do it but it does really help. We will see what direction you choose to go.

I was looking at the Stardog album, she looks dope. I know this is a RDWC a thread but I figured you might be interested to see.

Here is the second generation of a female from the ChemDD seeds you gave me. I forget what it was crossed with and I don't have the beans with me to check. She smells more fuely but very similar to the ChemDD cut and definitely very potent. Stronger branches but Hasn't come close in yield so this is the last time I'll be growing her. Looking forward to getting into the rest of them at some point.

Snype

Veteran
I was looking at the Stardog album, she looks dope. I know this is a RDWC a thread but I figured you might be interested to see.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59105&pictureid=1385063&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Here is the second generation of a female from the ChemDD seeds you gave me. I forget what it was crossed with and I don't have the beans with me to check. She smells more fuely but very similar to the ChemDD cut and definitely very potent. Stronger branches but Hasn't come close in yield so this is the last time I'll be growing her. Looking forward to getting into the rest of them at some point.

Yeah the StarDawgs are really nice. Some of my favorite smoke right now.

Those seeds are most likely ChemDD x Sour Diesel IBL. I started a few but never had the chance to flower them and then they got lost. That plant looks real healthy. I'd really like to see what that plant does.

S

salgado

Ok here are a few pics. The space is pretty stealth. Its in a cellar so environmental control isn't too difficult. Its a 4x4 grow in a 6x6 x7.5ft tall space. Thts why I'm trying a scrog however, in soil I have done pretty darn good without a scrog. All 4 plants are the same Holy Grail Kush from DNA. the reason for the lighting problems first was the main NMH light was just too close. Then as the plant grew I used that light and raised it but added the mixed light from the 4 200 watt CFL bulbs you see in the pic. Well, now those are off and the NMH is 24 inches above and the plants grew like two inches overnight. They took off. The temp in the room and at the canopy was ok always around 82 but I think it was just too much intense light with the cfls added???

Snype seeing these, what would you do???

Im getting my Bluelab combo meter probably monday...

PS sorry the pics aren't straight

Attachments

• IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
Ok here are a few pics. The space is pretty stealth. Its in a cellar so environmental control isn't too difficult. Its a 4x4 grow in a 6x6 x7.5ft tall space. Thts why I'm trying a scrog however, in soil I have done pretty darn good without a scrog. All 4 plants are the same Holy Grail Kush from DNA. the reason for the lighting problems first was the main NMH light was just too close. Then as the plant grew I used that light and raised it but added the mixed light from the 4 200 watt CFL bulbs you see in the pic. Well, now those are off and the NMH is 24 inches above and the plants grew like two inches overnight. They took off. The temp in the room and at the canopy was ok always around 82 but I think it was just too much intense light with the cfls added???

Snype seeing these, what would you do???

Im getting my Bluelab combo meter probably monday...

PS sorry the pics aren't straight

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=302923&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=302927&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=302924&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=302926&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=302925&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Looks pretty good but you should spread out those taller branches further away into the SCROG so that your canopy is even. You don't want some branches going higher than others. Use the SCROG as a tool. I would still salvage that crop but I'd spread out the bigger plants. As branches grow bigger than others, keep spreading them further into the SCROG so that all your squares are full and you have an even canopy and then go to flower.

So if you take a branch and spread it further into the furthest square that you can, it may eventually grow taller than other branches and you can move that branch into another further square away.

S

salgado

Ok cool and yes I'll spread them. It's tough to be delicate down there not much room to maneuver. I'll start posting weekly pics and good data... Thanks